Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

These were the first to come to mind:

Movies:

TMNT (first movie): Splinter talks with Raphael about anger.
    MOTU - movie: Skeletor opens the great eye and has a monologue.
    BayFormers: the AutoBots arrive and OptimusPrime introduces himself and the gang.
    Robocop: The scene where he visits his old home. And the scene where he has a dream.
    Superman: Toddler-Superman lifts the car.

Tv-shows:

Filmation MOTU: Problem with Power - scene where Adam throws the sword in the Abyss
    Dexter: The flashback scene (what happened to his mother. Not so much the scene but how it ties to the story). Also the last scene with his brother.
    Berserk: Guts makes his legendary century-slayer killings and ponders his life.
    Pokemon: Meowth rivals to win his love (the duel on the roof top and it's aftermath).
    Queer as Folk (USA): Brian comforts Michael when he feels down about lying about his sexual orientation at work.

I could probably add a lot to the list, but these came to mind first.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Pokemon: Meowth rivals to win his love (the duel on the roof top and it's aftermath).
    Ya that one was sad. Personally tho I found one of the saddest scenes in Pokemon was the fight in the first movie between the originals and the clones and Ash's sacrifice to stop it. The music that plays during the fight also helped set the mood

for those who have not heard it

Dragonball Z - The death of Kid Buu. Nuff said. In tears just thinking about it

Jurassic Park - The first time Alan Grant sees a real life Dinosaur
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 14, 2010 at 02:47pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Titanic - I will admit this: the "Nearer My God To Thee" sequence, where we see the real human tragedy - Captain Smith, Mr. Andrews, the Strausses, the woman telling the story to the two children, the band, etc. That's the most touching part of the movie for me. (And I have to confess to really liking the very, very last shot/scene as well.)
    I have never seen more than 20 solid minutes of this movie but I've have seen this particular part and, as a father, it crushed me.

I agree with some of the ones already mentioned:

Transformers The Movie: The death of Optimus Prime, and the "Arise Rodimus Prime" moment

Pokemon: Meowth's rooftop duel; the end of the Meowth Worshippers island episode where J&J save him; and the many, many romantic scenes between Jessie & James. Oh, and Team Rocket's heroic scenes in the 2nd Pokemon movie where they save Ash.

The Elephant Man: Merrick's line about how no lady has ever been so kind to him before.

Beauty & The Beast: the ending.

Sleeping Beauty: The Dragon battle, and the scene where Maleficent tells the Prince she plans to keep him imprisoned until he's old and grey, and only then will she let him go to rescue the Princess.

Star Wars: Final Trench battle, the moment where Han reappears.

I have a similar sensation with some of the ones already mentioned above, specially with "Lilo & Stich" ("I'm Lost" scene) & "Superman: The movie", Supes rescuing Lois & holding the helicopter with John Williams music is the quinssential image of the hero that everyone would like to be since were a little bow.
    I can add "Lion King" also when Mufasa's spirit appears among stars & clouds and says: "Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me."

Even though, the 2 movies that put my heart at my throat and my eyes like a watered glass are:
    _"Disney's The Kid" , when Bruce Willis travels back in time with his child self and after he fights some other boys, his ill mother goes to pick him up at school and he as an adult sees her again.

_" The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", pretty much the whole movie, but specially when he was an "old kid" and says: "Some nights, I'd have to sleep alone. I didn't mind, I would listen to the house breathin'. All those people sleepin'. I felt... safe." .
    And at the end when his daughter reads his diary this paragraph: "Some people were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by lightning. Some have an ear for music. Some are artists. Some swim. Some know buttons. Some know Shakespeare. Some are mothers. And some people dance."
    Last edited by Rhanen; April 14, 2010 at 03:01pm.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    For TV episodes, I got to go with TF: Beast Wars. The episode where Dinobot has fought against former comrades and insurmountable odds to protect the emerging human race. As he lies mortally wounded and dying he states, "Tell my tale to those who ask. But tell it truthfully. The good deeds along with the bad. And let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence."

Also, the episode at the end of Season 2 where Ravage switches sides after watching a recording of G1 Megatron played by Beast Wars Megatron. As he attacks the Maximals with his stealth ship, Ravage yells out, "Decepticons forever!" and transforms into cassette mode accompanied by the vintage transforming sound. He then interfaces with the ship's conrol board whose heads up display screen has the original Decepticon symbol on it. Then in the next episode as he's about to be engulfed by flames from a bomb detonated in his own ship, Ravage narrows his eyes, lifts his fist into the air, and screams defiantly, "Decepticons...FOREVER!" Too cool for school!

Then there is an episode of Duckman in which he goes on a date with an ugly woman, Angela, who makes all people who see her recoil in horror. Duckman, although initially repulsed by her looks as well, sees Angela's inner goodness and falls in love with her. He defends her against those who would make fun of her and deride her. Angela, not wanting this to be like this for the rest of their lives together, has plastic surgery and she becomes beautiful. She becomes a famous model and beloved by the public. Duckman realizes that he is now an anchor to her and would only serve to keep her down with his insecurities and jealousies. He agrees to meet Angela one last time for dinner at the restaurant where they had their first date. But he stands her up and stays at home granting Angela her freedom from him. The closing credits are without music and shows Duckman just looking outside his window at a rainstorm while the telephone rings nonstop (Angela calling him).
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 14, 2010 at 05:20pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

The end of Six Feet Under, where you see how everyone dies. Particularly when David sees Keith and then falls over, dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    For TV episodes, I got to go with TF: Beast Wars. The episode where Dinobot has fought against former comrades and unsurmountable odds to protect the emerging human race. As he lies mortally wounded and dying he states, "Tell my tale to those who ask. But tell it truthfully. The good deeds along with the bad. And let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence."

Also, the episode at the end of Season 2 where Ravage switches sides after watching a recording of G1 Megatron played by Beast Wars Megatron. As he attacks the Maximals with his stealth ship, Ravage yells out, "Decepticons forever!" and transforms into cassette mode accompanied by the vintage transforming sound. He then interfaces with the ship's conrol board whose heads up display screen has the original Decepticon symbol on it. Then in the next episode as he's about to be engulfed by flames from a bomb detonated in his own ship, Ravage narrows his eyes, lifts his fist into the air, and screams defiantly, "Decepticons...FOREVER!" Too cool for school!
    Yeah, those were some great moments.

I also loved the end of Season 1 with Optimus piloting the stasis pod to destroy the alien weapon, and Megatron appears on his heads-up display to taunt him as he realises he is trapped and about to die.

Plus the final scenes at the end of Season 2 in the Ark where Megatron blasts Optimus Prime in the face, causing a time storm that nearly changed the course of history in the Decepticons favour. "Say goodbye to the universe Maximals! The Autobots lose, evil triumphs, and you...you no longer exist!"
    Last edited by RocketPunch; April 14, 2010 at 04:12pm.

Naruto:

Gaara has been reclaimed from the Akatsuki but it is too late which leads to Naruto's speech / rant about how it is the fault of the sand village for sealing a monster inside Gaara and how he couldn't save him.

Gaara vs Rock Lee fight, Rock Lee has been beaten to unconsciousness but he has trained himself to fight so hard that his body refuses to give up and he drags himself to his feet despite the fact he was not even conscious as he is being driven by muscle memory and his desire to protect his ninja way

Gaara's back story about what drove him to be the psycho killer he became.

One Piece:

Brook's story and his promise to the whale Laboon that he would one day return.

Nico Robin shouting "I want to live" in the Enies Lobby Arc

Sanji's story about how he was saved by Zeff and why he now can't stand to see people starve or waste food.

In order to save Luffy from Bartholomew Kuma Zoro has to take in and feel all the pain and fatigue Luffy feels due to his fights with Oars and Gecko Moria. The problem is that Zoro is already close to death himself and Luffy can withstand punishment a lot better due to being made of rubber.

Pokemon:

from the 8th movie "Lucario and the Mystery of Mew" - Lucario finds Sir Aaron and learns that he had never actually abandoned him but instead spared him from witnessing what he had to do to save everyone...only for Lucario to then make the same sacrifice and join his friend in the afterlife

The Rise of Darkrai - Darkrai gets blasted to pieces by Palkia and Dialga after he tries to drive them away to save Alice and the people of Alamos Town

Dragonheart:

The end scene where Draco says his goodbyes and goes to join the rest of his kind in the stars

Disney:

Hunchback sings "Out There"

101 Dalmatians where the dogs are trudging home through the snow only for Lucky to stop and say "I'm tired, and I'm hungry. And my tail's froze. And my nose is froze. And my ears are froze. And my toes are froze. "
    Last edited by wolfsfang; April 14, 2010 at 10:21pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Plus the final scenes at the end of Season 2 in the Ark where Megatron blasts Optimus Prime in the face, causing a time storm that nearly changed the course of history in the Decepticons favour. "Say goodbye to the universe Maximals! The Autobots lose, evil triumphs, and you...you no longer exist!"
    Aw, man R-Punch! We are on the same page. I got the chills when I first saw that scene played out. As Megatron flew past all the Autobots and Decepticons, I thought to myself "Yes! Finally the Decepticons will win!" Then Megatron starts, "Ah...now I enter these hallowed halls...a conqueror. Hmmm. Autobots and Decepticons. Still frozen in emergency stasis. Awaiting the moment 4 million years hence when they will awaken to start the Great War. Hmmm. The Great War. Where the Autobots defeated the Decepticons and thus their descendants, the Maximals, rule we Predacons. Archaic energon guzzlers. How dare they!"

And I loved BW Megatron's final speech to a lifeless Optimus Prime. "And now it comes all down to this. The ultimate risk for the ultimate prize! A day of reckoning with those who made us slaves! So, we are now face to face, Optimus Prime. In one future you awaken and become the great leader of the Autobots. But Time shall take a different track now. And now, Optimus Prime. In memory of the Decepticons, for the glory of the Predacons, for the Cybertron that is rightfully ours and mine to rule...I unleash the storm of vengeance! Farewell." Simply awesome. I almost get a nerdgasm everytime I hear that speech and watch that scene.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 14, 2010 at 07:47pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Yeah, I love that entire scene, with the flashback to the battle between the Ark and the Nemesis, and all those G1 Decepticons in stasis lock as Megatron hovers over them.

Beast Wars was the best TF show ever.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    A life changing moment courtesy of Grosse Pointe Blank.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Anything with dogs. Old Yellar kills me. Anything where a dog goes above and beyond to save it's master or even a stranger. I'm pouring tears. My wife gets mad at me because I never cry over anything, but let a dog save someone or give it's life... I can barely stand to watch the animal shelter commercials. There are other tales of animals doing feats that also get me but especially dogs.
    Marley & Me...Holy cow, the end of that movie just devastated me because I've had to go through the same exact thing with several of my own beloved pets in the past, and it's exactly like it was in the movie. Cradling your loved one as they quietly pass away is one of the worst things I've ever gone through, and as a result, I haven't been able to watch that movie more than twice.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Yeah, I love that entire scene, with the flashback to the battle between the Ark and the Nemesis, and all those G1 Decepticons in stasis lock as Megatron hovers over them.

Beast Wars was the best TF show ever.
    Ditto this. The writing in that season finale's end was fantastic.

But Dinobot pulling together the last of his power to destory the disk and then dying as a result is still the greatest moment in all of transformers history, hands down. I was speechless when I saw that episode when it first aired, because I couldn't believe they actually did it and left him dead. It was an incredibly mature thing to do, and I loved the show even more for going that route. The live action Bay movies could never be as effective as that one animated episode was.

That scene from the Pokemon was definitely effective back when I saw it, with the clone Pikachu beating on the original Pikachu, and he was just sadly taking it.

One more, and it's not a movie or tv, but the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4 had a moment that really got me good. Original snake is dying, and slumps down against a tombstone. He goes to light a cigarette, but he doesn't have the strength to do it. Old snake quietly light it for him as the sad music plays and the camera pulls back, neither of them saying a word. Then the music stops, and from a distance you just watch the two together. After a moment, the cigarette gently falls from original snake's hand and you know he passed away. It was an excellent, and moving ending, I thought.
    Last edited by Galmorzu; April 14, 2010 at 09:48pm.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Movies

1. Titanic: Like others have said, the "Nearer My God to Thee" scene, especially the part with the mother reading to her two children.

2. Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey: I've seen this movie 30 times, yet I still bawl like a baby when Shadow comes limping up that hill.

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: the scene where Harry returns from his duel with Voldemort.

Television

1. I'm with Adol on the Futurama one.

2. Friends: The finale, especially the 'Did she get off the plane' scene and the final shot with all the keys.

3. Still Standing: In the finale, when Bill and Judy aren't sad about Bryan leaving for college until they see the family picture he drew on his wall when he was little.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

Towards the end of "Serenity" when River's brother gets injured and needs the medical bag that got left in the room where all the Reavers are and she says "You take care of me...you always take care of me." and then stands up and says "My turn." before she runs into the room and tosses out the bag before the doors seal her inside.

Cripes, I got choked up just from proofreading that!

Quote Originally Posted by IcomeWITH2heads View Post
    The end of Six Feet Under, Particularly when David sees Keith and then falls over, dead.
    GOOD ONE. I didn't watch that show THAT much, but yeah, when David sees Keith--that was genius.

Also, as others have said, the last line of "Field Of Dreams"

How has no one mentioned this one yet? Braveheart: FREEEEEEEEEDOOOOOM!

End of Batman Begins when Gordon says "Ya know, I never thanked you." and Batman turns around and says "And you'll never have to."

And I'm ashamed this wasn't the first one that came to my mind since it's from my favorite movie of all time: He-Man & She-Ra: The Secret Of The Sword. Right when The Sorceress tells Adora of her true identity and she sees He-Man completely drained of his power and she cries out "MY BROTHER!" before holding her Sword aloft for the first time.

Also from the He-Man episode "Into The Abyss" when Adam transforms to rescue Teela and it shows all of THE POWER falling down into it and then BLASTING up from the center of Eternia to turn him into He-Man.

As for TV, The West Wing! I could probably list a moment from every other freaking episode (well, at least from the first 4 Sorkin years, but also certainly a few from the last 3 seasons).
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; April 15, 2010 at 01:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Just saw one that really got me

The Blind Side: I really liked the whole movie, but the scene where Michael and S.J. are in the car wreck really got to me. We see that everything happened so fast. Then when Leigh Ann comes to the scene after being informed of the wreck, and we find out that S.J. could have been seriously injured or killed by the air bag... but he wasn't.

Then we see that Michael, who previously seemed to be unhurt, has a huge wound on his arm. He just looks at Leigh Ann, tears filling his eyes, and says "I stopped it." And he did it just that fast.

The real Michael Oher must be an amazing person. That's all I've got to say.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Master of New Adventures!
    ROCKY, when he runs up the steps the second time -- taking them two at a time -- in triumph.

THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, when Michael Douglas dances with Annette Bening at the State Dinner at the White House (perhaps the greatest chemistry in any modern film -- look at her eyes in almost any scene) and certainly in the penultimate scene when she returns to his arms in the Oval Office.

ROCKY (yes, I know that makes two ROCKY mentions.) There is an amazing six-second scene right after Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) knocks Rocky down for the umpteenth time. Creed turns and raises his hands in the air, assured of victory. Then Creed turns to see Rocky struggling back to his feet. There's this six-second ANGLE ON Creed during which first a look of astonishment comes over his face, then actual sadness and empathy. Finally, he lowers his gloves and his shoulders slump. We sense that he doesn't want to do any more harm to this warrior. Not a word is spoken, but in that moment Apollo Creed changes from being a bad guy to a-guy-who-will-one-day-be-a-good-guy --(remember, throughout the film, until this moment, Creed has been an arrogant jerk) -- and, of course, the good guy Apollo finally comes to fruition in ROCKY III.

Imo Carl Weathers accomplishes more in those six seconds than any other actor ever has in such a short space of time.

Astounding and, for me, a true movie moment.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 15, 2010 at 07:34pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The part of the duel in ROTJ just between luke hiding & Luke cutting off Vader's hand.

The point in ROTS When the twins are born. (cause I have twins)

Greater than Excalibur Sword of Omens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chamita116 View Post
    Movies
    Friends: The finale, especially the 'Did she get off the plane' scene and the final shot with all the keys.
    This kind of thing gets me - the "end of an era" type of scene. You feel like something has passed and it's sad to see it go.

The scene that has the most effect is Merlin. Not the silly BBC series but the mini-series/two-parter starring Sam Neill. The entire story is told, during which he loses his loved one. Then you see an aged Merlin telling an audience a story. Afterwards, he finds her...completely chokes me:

Sic vis pacem para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war

I've become more of a softy as the years pass.
    For me it's things like the beginning of UP, or when it's revealed what Seita is carrying around in the candy tin in Grave of Fire Flies.

In TV it was during Desperate House Wives when Carlos (after regaining his eye sight) sees how much Gabriel had to sell off over the years to support the family while taking care of him.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

I know it's going to sound absolutely sappy but it makes me misty eyed when I watch the episode of "Full House" when Uncle Jessie is talking about moving out to live with Becky. There's that wonderful scene where Michelle gives him her special stuffed animal and he stands outside her room and cries and it shows her in her room crying. Great scene and it gets me every time.

The last 5 minutes of "It's A Wonderful Life" gets me every time also. And, oddly enough, the end of "The Wizard Of Oz" when Dorothy is saying goodbye to Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion. Don't know why...but it just makes me all misty eyed.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Reading a few of these reminds me of a couple more. In Superman Returns when Superman says to his son what Jor El had said to him. The "You will be different....The father becomes the son" speech.

I love the ending of The Last of the Mohicans (my favorite classic american novel) with Daniel Day Lewis. Very poweful.

I agree with the Titanic going down and the band playing Nearer My God to Thee.

This might be an odd one, but in Jaws when Quint is telling about being on the Indianapolis when it was hit by the torpedos.

On a side note with Rocky and running up the stairs...I was working in Philly a few years ago and we had some extra time so I stopped by the art museum to run up the stairs. I gave my coworker the phone to record me running up boots and all. After I made it up there and reviewed the video, I noticed he had his finger in front of the lens and I had to do it again.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    When She-Ra finds out that she's He-Man's sister.

Death of Optimus Prime.

"The next Doctor" where the Doctor shows all of the former
    Doctors to Mr. Lake.

The last imagination scene in the final episode of Scrubs.

Classic & 200X fan
    Quote Originally Posted by vaderSW1 View Post
    I know it's going to sound absolutely sappy but it makes me misty eyed when I watch the episode of "Full House" when Uncle Jessie is talking about moving out to live with Becky. There's that wonderful scene where Michelle gives him her special stuffed animal and he stands outside her room and cries and it shows her in her room crying. Great scene and it gets me every time.

I don't even know what to say! I thought about posting this when this thread popped up, but never did. I NEVER thought someone else would pick this scene. I own the DVD'S, and like you said, every single time lol.
    big geek

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    The last imagination scene in the final episode of Scrubs.
    Which final episode? Scrubs has had like 4 series finales.