Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Television or Movie scenes that, "Get You Every Time"

The scene that gets me every time

No..... my brother.....For the Honor of Grayskull!!!
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    D'oh! I just remembered that the Thundercats had plenty of these moments for me!

• Exodus: The Thundercats' farewell to Jaga.
    • Mandora the Evil Chaser: When Mandora defeated the Living Ooze with soap! I laugh hysterically at this!
    • The Ghost Warrior: Jaga's battle with Grune... after Lion-O gives him his strength... awesome!
    • All That Glitters: When Lion-O holds Cheetara over his head and the other TCs say, "Hail Cheetara! Worth her weight in gold!"
    • Return to ThunDERa: Now adult Lion-O's reunion with his blind father Claudus. I shudder when Lion-O says, in memory of his father, "May we meet again, somewhere in time."
    • Sword in a Hole: When Lion-O calls to the Sword of Omens and its signal engulfs that space station.
    • Trial of Strength: Lion-O's birthday is anything but happy when he finds out he has to best each Thundercat in their specialty! And he has to do it without the Sword of Omens!
    • The Trial of Speed: "I may lose, but it won't be because I gave up!"
    • The Trial of Mind Power: When Lion-O breaks Tygra's hold and wrestles him to the ground.
    • The Trial of Evil: Lion-O tosses Mumm-Ra's coffin into the cauldron. After that, when you see Lion-O, you know he's arrived. And when Jaga said, "...and by making your own decisions and making them work, you passed the final trial." And of course, "Hail Lion-O, truly the Lord of the Thundercats!"
    • Thundercats Ho!: When the Star of ThunDERa rescued Jaga from the Black Planet. The music just moves me so.
    • The Telepathy Beam: When Cheetara throws off the effects of the beam and a telekenetic surge from her destroys it.
    • Return to ThunDERa: When the TC lift that large stone off Snarf and the Sword of Omens saves New ThunDERa from destruction.
    • The Shadowmaster: Lion-O frees his imprisoned father/both men use the Sword on the Shadowmaster/Claudus stays in the spirit realm with Jaga/Claudus and Jaga's ghosts look on Lion-O with pride.
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Just remembered a few from Xena, one of my favourite shows:

The Ides of March: Xena spine is broken by Callisto, Gabrielle ends her vow of non-violence to protect her, and the ending where they are crucified while Caesar is killed.

The Bitter Suite: the song where they finally put aside their hate.

One Against An Army: the final fight scene where Xena singlehandedly takes on the Persian army.

Oh God, my fiancee and I are such crybabies during movies. Personally, I can get worked up into tears of extreme happiness or excitement just because of a strong emotional attachment to a film, so...

-Pretty much at any given time in any Star Wars film, including the Ewoks movies and a few good moments in Clone Wars. Specifically, as far as touching/sad/tearjerk moments:
    ~Anakin's podracer first fires up behind his hovel; the look on Shmi's face. She knows her little boy is leaving at that moment.
    ~Qui-Gon's death and funeral
    ~Shmi's death
    ~the wedding
    ~Order 66
    ~"Anakin, you're breaking my heart!"
    ~Anakin defeated
    ~The birth of the Twins, Rebirth of Vader, Padme's funeral
    ~Binary Sunset
    ~Homestead Burning
    ~Obi-Wan's "death"
    ~Leia confesses her love for Han
    ~"No Luke. I am your father."
    ~Yoda's "death"
    ~Father VS Son
    ~"He's my brother."
    ~"My sister has it."
    ~Anakin's "death"
    ~The Jedi Spirits/finale
    ~Death of Chukha-Trok
    ~Cindel is orphaned
    ~Cindel leaves Endor
    ~Cindel's lullabye

As for other films...
    -Where the Wild Things Are; basically the whole movie. I swear it's about me.

-E.T. The Extra Terrestrial; Oh. My. God. That movie has so many crybaby parts for me.

-Indiana Jones series; this is generally more about simple, extreme giddiness, at scenes such as the Nazi Convoy or the Mine Car Chase, but there are a few genuine sad/touching parts that get me in every movie as well

-It's a Wonderful Life; especially at the end (Oh, and I think of Orko as a character very similar in his use storywise as the angel Clarence)

-Transformers 2; the death of Optimus. It didn't get me as much in the toon-film, but I actually like the Bayformers a bit better (sacrilege, I know!) Again, both of those movies have a bunch of "Oh my God, this is so great!" tear-up parts for me, too.

-Simon Birch; the scene after Simon accidentally kills the mother, on the bridge: "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"...and of course when Simon dies.

-UP; the beginning, and many parts afterward, although really, any Pixar mvie gets me...

-Any Pixar movie

-Almost any Disney movie, for that matter...!

-The Bridges of Madison County; especially the scene at the traffic light...[IGAWD!!![/I]

-The Polar Express; the whole theme of believeing, and my mother and I have a special bond with that book which we share

And in TV...

-Friends finale (and many moments in between)
    -Seinfeld series finale (more the clipshow than the actual episode)
    -many moments in My So Called Life
    -quite a few moments in Pushing Daisies (I miss that show!!!)

And, when I showed my Pre-K class The Secret of the Sword, they were already great fans of He-Man, but knew little about She-Ra. They didn't know what she looked like, who she really was, or even what she could do, so when Adora first transformed, and I saw all of their little faces light up with shock, amazement, and excitement, I had to physically turn away to avoid embarassing myself in front of a room full of four-year-olds. It was like the next generation had just come about before my eyes. God, I'm tearing up now...OK, everyone knows now. Uki is a crybaby.

Don't get me started on books, be they children's or otherwise...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I forgot one movie scene I absolutely love. It's from 1974's Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. It's the scene where Angillas (or Anguiras in Japan) appears and attacks Mechagodzilla (in Godzilla disguise). From the beginning where the ground shakes as Angillas first reveals himself from underneath the ground until he runs away back down his hole in shameful defeat, I am enamored with this scene. The players, Angillas is my favorite monster design of all Toho monsters (I got a thing for spikes) and Mechagodzilla is my favorite villain, the action, as Angillas gets the ever loving crap kicked out of him and Mechagodzilla's sheer badass-ness and sadism as he does so, and the music, Masaru Satoh's Godzilla vs. Anguiras is a masterpiece and fits the action like an iron glove, make this scene utterly perfect to me when I was a punk kid or as I am now, a jerk adult.
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; April 17, 2010 at 04:50pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post

-Transformers 2; the death of Optimus. It didn't get me as much in the toon-film, but I actually like the Bayformers a bit better (sacrilege, I know!) Again, both of those movies have a bunch of "Oh my God, this is so great!" tear-up parts for me, too.

Yeah! That moment where Sam sees the other Primes and they say that the Matrix must be earned and can't be found sends shivers through my system everytime.

And from the TV series Forever Knight, Nick and Lacroix, during the early 20th century, encounter a young cadet who sketches Lacroix. Lacroix likes a lot of what this cadet says and catches him in the bathroom compartment. They lock eyes and Lacroix sees an evil in this cadet's eyes that unnerves him! After a brief conversation, the cadet, who was shaving turned to face the camera... and it was young Adolf Hitler! Lacroix almost made Hitler a vampire!

From The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, Jamie's skydiving accident, bionic resurrection, bionic rejection death, and her resurrection. Steve is thrilled to no end(and he's furious at Oscar and Rudy for their mind games), but is heartbroken when her memory is not what it once was. And would you believe Jamie and Steve's wedding in Bionic Ever After?

And from JEM: When Jerrica is puts on what she thinks is a pair of fake Jem earrings, saying how bad she felt when JATH couldn't perform the conert... and we hear Synergy's voice answer, "What do you mean you can't do the concert?"
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto View Post
    And from JEM: When Jerrica is puts on what she thinks is a pair of fake Jem earrings, saying how bad she felt when JATH couldn't perform the conert... and we hear Synergy's voice answer, "What do you mean you can't do the concert?"
    The scene that gets me is the one from Out of the Past, where Eric threatens to destroy Jerrica's mother's master tape. She calls his bluff and pleads with him not destroy it...and he tosses it on the fire anyway.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I forgot one movie scene I absolutely love. It's from 1974's Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. It's the scene where Angillas (or Anguiras in Japan) appears and attacks Mechagodzilla (in Godzilla disguise). From the beginning where the ground shakes as Angillas first reveals himself from underneath the ground until he runs away back down his hole in shameful defeat, I am enamored with this scene. The players, Angillas is my favorite monster design of all Toho monsters (I got a thing for spikes) and Mechagodzilla is my favorite villain, the action, as Angillas gets the ever loving crap kicked out of him and Mechagodzilla's sheer badass-ness and sadism as he does so, and the music, Masaru Satoh's Godzilla vs. Anguiras is a masterpiece and fits the action like an iron glove, make this scene utterly perfect to me when I was a punk kid or as I am now, a jerk adult.
    Bogart and Bacall, Tracy and Hepburn, Brad and Angelina -- all pale before the emotional tsunami of two guys jumping around in monster suits. Angillas and Mechagodzilla -- talk about your evocative, heartwrenching chemistry!

Just kiddin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Bogart and Bacall, Tracy and Hepburn, Brad and Angelina -- all pale before the emotional tsunami of two guys jumping around in monster suits. Angillas and Mechagodzilla -- talk about your evocative, heartwrenching chemistry!
    Now I know this was a joke...but strangely I agree with it, especially the Brad and Angelina bit
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Of course you know, sir, this means WAR!

Just kiddin'.
    Oh, okay. You were in trouble for a second there. But strangely, your analogy falls a little short. I don't remember your examples beating the crap out of each other (except for as wolfsfang pointed out, Brangelina). At least not on film...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Of course you know, sir, this means WAR!

Oh, okay. You were in trouble for a second there. But strangely, your analogy falls a little short. I don't remember your examples beating the crap out of each other (except for as wolfsfang pointed out, Brangelina). At least not on film...

As I said, just a jest.

I'm a devout BJH fan.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Can't believe people missed these tearjerkers.

The Death of Spock

The Destruction of NCC-1701

Death of Dr. Frasier - Stargate SG-1
    Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 18, 2010 at 06:08am.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

As I said, just a jest.
    Yes, I was aware of that. That's why my response to your initial post was a joke as well. I guess I didn't execute it as well as I thought.

There's never any need to apologize to me. I'm just a self-deprecating prankster with delusions of grandeur. If I can't take a joke than I suck. If I dish it out, I got to be able to take it.

I'm a devout BJH fan.
    I am flattered. But I would never be a part of a fandom that would have me as it's figurehead (What famous line is this a variation of and what comedian uttered it?).

I don't remember your examples beating the crap out of each other (except for as wolfsfang pointed out, Brangelina). At least not on film...
    Now that was the best part of Mr and Mrs Smith, those two beaten each other up while Express Yourself was playing.

Now seeing as Godzilla was brought up and while I know a lot of people disliked it (tho I for one loved it) another sad moment that got to me in cinema history was when they have the American Godzilla tied up on the bridge and blast it with rockets, then it falls and as it slowly dies Matt Broderick slowly walks up to it as it takes its last breaths... very sad

The end of The Iron Giant... "Suuuupeeeermaaaan..." Oh geez, I was bawling like an infant the first time I saw it... and kept crying for like an hour after the movie was over! And I still cry every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    The end of The Iron Giant... "Suuuupeeeermaaaan..." Oh geez, I was bawling like an infant the first time I saw it... and kept crying for like an hour after the movie was over! And I still cry every time!
    Ya and who says Vin Diesel can't do sad scenes?

The fifth (?) season finale for Buffy was a real heartbreaker. When Buffy is leaping to the vortex to save the world, and it's playing her words to Dawn over it. The part that always just does it for me is when the others are coming to her body, and it shows Spike just breakdown. His reaction more than the others does it to me every time.

And from Angel, when Fred is dying and trying to be strong for Wesley, but then just as her time comes, she breaks down and starts saying how she doesn't want to die and asks why can't she live....man, it's absolutely brutal.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Braveheart: When William Wallace is being tortured to death by the English, he is offered the chance to end his suffering if he will simply say the word "Mercy," in effect swearing alliegiance to the English in so doing. Even the few of his own men who remain free, as they watch him brutally tortured, whisper "Mercy, William." At last Wallace signals that he would like to say a word, and the English torturer, sensing victory, tells him to speak.

"FREEDOM!" he shouts defiantly, and the torturer kills him.

The Passion of the Christ: When Jesus is on the cross, and it's nearing the end for him, he looks down and sees Mary and John standing there. "Woman," he says to Mary, "behold your son." And then to John "Son, behold your mother." I've heard it and read it a million times, but to see it portrayed in such graphic detail... really just struck me.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

ROCKY, when he runs up the steps the second time -- taking them two at a time -- in triumph.

ROCKY (yes, I know that makes two ROCKY mentions.) There is an amazing six-second scene right after Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) knocks Rocky down for the umpteenth time. Creed turns and raises his hands in the air, assured of victory. Then Creed turns to see Rocky struggling back to his feet. There's this six-second ANGLE ON Creed during which first a look of astonishment comes over his face, then actual sadness and empathy. Finally, he lowers his gloves and his shoulders slump. We sense that he doesn't want to do any more harm to this warrior. Not a word is spoken, but in that moment Apollo Creed changes from being a bad guy to a-guy-who-will-one-day-be-a-good-guy --(remember, throughout the film, until this moment, Creed has been an arrogant jerk) -- and, of course, the good guy Apollo finally comes to fruition in ROCKY III.

Imo Carl Weathers accomplishes more in those six seconds than any other actor ever has in such a short space of time.

Astounding and, for me, a true movie moment.

Jack, I'm so glad you brought this up, because I think you are completly right. I'm not sure there is a better bit of acting then Carl's look at that moment and it gets me everytime. It's the reason I'll forever say that Rocky is one of my favorite movies of all time. What a triumph of human spirit...with a marvelous score to boot!

Some others:

End of A New Hope, Jedi, and Revenge of the Sith.

Rudy's running on to the field and sack on the final play

United 93 - pretty much the entire movie.

Can't think of anything else right now, I'm sure I will though! Great idea for a thread!!!

-Brett

Yes, I was aware of that. That's why my response to your initial post was a joke as well. I guess I didn't execute it as well as I thought.

There's never any need to apologize to me. I'm just a self-deprecating prankster with delusions of grandeur. If I can't take a joke than I suck. If I dish it out, I got to be able to take it.

I am flattered. But I would never be a part of a fandom that would have me as it's figurehead (What famous line is this a variation of and what comedian uttered it?).
    You've paraphrased -- rather nicely, btw -- Woody Allen's line: "I would never join a club that would allow a person like me to be a member."

And whether you realized I was jesting or not, I have no fear of you nor your domain as I possess knowledge of your Achilles' heel, which is somewhat like (and heeeeeeere it comes!) knowing what pitch the pitcher is going to throw ahead of time. (Ah! BJH writhes, falls to his knees, then his belly, shrieking in "the agony of defeat", undone by the fatal arrow of sports analogies!

From the Who Do You Love thread in The Tar Swamp:
    Gah! Sports analogies! My Achilles heel!
    (I warned you I'd use that information some time.)
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 21, 2010 at 04:06pm.

You've paraphrased -- rather nicely, btw -- Woody Allen's line: "I would never join a club that would allow a person like me to be a member."
    Oooh! Only half right. The quote is correct but the comedian is incorrect. The person who first uttered it was the late, the great Groucho Marx. But it's okay. You gave it a good try, though. You get an A for effort from the Master of Comedy. He should be around shortly to give it to you.

As for the sports analogies, true...there are my major weakness. However, you have just opened a Pandora's box. For soon you will make bigger and bigger sports analogies until one day you will make a sports analogy so big that it will destroy the world! Bwahahahahahahahaha! And my revenge will be complete!

Oooh! Only half right. The quote is correct but the comedian is incorrect. The person who first uttered it was the late, the great Groucho Marx. But it's okay. You gave it a good try, though. You get an A for effort from the Master of Comedy. He should be around shortly to give it to you.

As for the sports analogies, true...there are my major weakness. However, you have just opened a Pandora's box. For soon you will make bigger and bigger sports analogies until one day you will make a sports analogy so big that it will destroy the world! Bwahahahahahahahaha! And my revenge will be complete!
    You're absolutely correct that it was Groucho. But if you were acquainted with the true Master of Comedy he would have told you that my confusion came from the fact that Woody quoted the line in ANNIE HALL and armed with this information you would have, no doubt, thrown it in my face. (Unlike me, btw, Woody correctly attributed the joke to Groucho. So I do stand corrected.)

As for opening a Pandora's Box, I did that long ago on the day I decided to become a writer rather that remaining in my parents' clothing business. So I am quite familiar with Lady Pandora, she having succumbed to my charms shortly after we first met, now bent to my will for all eternity.

Your attempt to stop me from making ever bigger sports analogies is woefully transparent, my demonic friend -- a lame attempt to turn me away from that which I know shall bring you down. Thus, I will continue to "put the wood to the ball."

"ARRRRRRRRRGH!" Hear how he screams in agony from his charnel pits!

Your attempt to stop me from making ever bigger sports analogies is woefully transparent, my demonic friend -- a lame attempt to turn me away from that which I know shall bring you down. Thus, I will continue to "put the wood to the ball."

"ARRRRRRRRRGH!" Hear how he screams in agony from his charnel pits!
    Hmmmm. "Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster". It seems to me like you are enjoying causing me pain. Good. Good. The more we battle the more you become like me.

Olesker, BJH I just have one question for both of you

What on earth are you two talking about?

(I'm just glad I never mentioned the fact that I probably hate sport analogies more than anyone due to hating ALL...yes ALL...sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Jack, I'm so glad you brought this up, because I think you are completly right. I'm not sure there is a better bit of acting then Carl's look at that moment and it gets me everytime. It's the reason I'll forever say that Rocky is one of my favorite movies of all time. What a triumph of human spirit...with a marvelous score to boot!

Some others:

End of A New Hope, Jedi, and Revenge of the Sith.

Rudy's running on to the field and sack on the final play

United 93 - pretty much the entire movie.

Can't think of anything else right now, I'm sure I will though! Great idea for a thread!!!

-Brett

The cutaway to Ned Beatty after Rudy makes the sack just rips my heart out.

Wolfsfang, regarding your post:

"Olesker, BJH I just have one question for both of you

What on earth are you two talking about?

(I'm just glad I never mentioned the fact that I probably hate sport analogies more than anyone due to hating ALL...yes ALL...sports)"

It's an inside joke/joust between me and BJH -- ill-placed and off-thread here; apologies offered.

To BJH: We'll continue this another time and another place. ("I will chase him 'round Perdition's flame.") And as an ender, regarding your statement that I'll become like you by doing battle with you, I'll remind you of a certain arcangel named Michael who kicked your butt and is still an arcangel. Case closed. Ouch!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 21, 2010 at 07:07pm.