Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there a way to tighten MOTUC joints?

Court Magician

is there a way to tighten MOTUC joints?

ok

i have some figures that are loose. my skeletor is loose in the ankle joint.
    and i have a MAA his legs are loose from the joint next to his crotch. is there any way to tighten the joint, a friend of mine told me to stick it in hot water and cold water. but not so sure about that. any help is appreciated.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Very carefully using some super glue (and not slopping it on the paint, as it will remove it, so it's only a good idea if all parts of the joint are unpainted plastic) can work to tighten joints as long as you keep working the joint as it dries. If done right, you can actually feel the joint gradually tighten after a minute or so. You just need to make sure you keep moving the joint until the glue is completely dry or it'll glue it solid.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE! DO NOT USE ANY STRONG CHEMICALS OR TOXIC GLUES!

Use a clear acrylic floor cleaner. I use Future Floor Cleaner on my figures. I get a small paintbrush and dip it into the fluid and then dab it on the joints. If it's really loose use more. Make sure the fluids get into the joints and just quickly wipe away any extra spills.

Let the figures dry for about 4 hours and you'll find the joints are stiff. I have used this on all my loose action figures and it works wonders. I have used it on all my MOTUC, Marvel Legends, and DCU figures. I've been using it for over 8 years and I've never had a problem with toxic chemicals or damage. If you move them around too much, they might get loose again and just dab some more and let them dry again. Easy as that.

Future can be cleaned off with water. It does not stain or damage plastics. No mess no harm. Also, I have 1 bottle and it's just a quarter down and I've had it for 2 years. I have used it on at least 100 figures. It will last you a long time.

Last edited by bskcase; April 16, 2010 at 04:39pm.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior
    Clear nail polish is also a popular choice for larger figures, especially on ball joints.

I did it the way proposed on this website - it works well.
    http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php?ID=3

Court Magician
    thx for the replies, i'll try the super glue trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I would be careful with the super glue too. I used it to tighten moss man's knees, and, while it works, it ended up frosting the plastic around it.
    Successful transactions: Sallah, Herewegoagain, loadzone, layz909e, KingHiss, tattoojunkie74, cyberv, Son of Keldor, He-Ryno, d*r*j*, BrettX209, Black_Arachnis, MC Modulok, Warrior Knight, he-man_fan, Odrakir, Bob-Man, Blue Monkey, H.A.L.9000, DrPAYNE, dago2727, Nefud, TristX, Warmon, jimharnock, and more....

Feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...highlight=Kero

I conststanly tell people to preseve their action figures. I am not going to risk damaging my expensive action figures on super glue and toxic chemicals that might have a reaction to plastic.

Nail polish can decolor and sometimes even melt plastic a little which causes breakage.

I use the clear rubber bands from the packaging for loose ankles. Just take a smaller one, loop it around and around the inside of the ankle until it's tucked right in, and you won't even notice it's there. My Tri-Klops, Mer-Man, and Trap Jaw can all stand now, and have good foot movement.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Anyother way to fix it without glues or nail polish?

I have a DCUC Black Canary that had very loose ankles.
    I heated the ankles with a hair drier and poped out the pins. I then applied super glue to the ankles. After the glue dried I reassembled the ankles, and they were tight.

The reason I did it this way is, I lack the precision to simply apply the glue straight to the joint as some here do.

As for the hip joint, my Man-At-Arms had very loose hip articulation too.
    Ultimately, after not finding any way to tighten it, I decided just to buy the reissue.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

1) Dip figure in hot water and gently massage the loose joint.
    2) Put figure in the freezer for four hours.
    3) Take figure out of freezer and slap it around.
    4) Spritz figure with vinegar or lemon juice.
    5) Yell at figure.
    6) Put figure in oven and bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
    7) Yell at figure again, this time using profanities.
    8) Call Mattel for new figure.
    9) Wait for new figure to arrive.
    10) Repeat.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    Anyother way to fix it without glues or nail polish?
    See my post. I have the best solution to loose joints. People are hesitant, but those that have tried have thanked me. I would really be careful with Moss man though.

See my post. I have the best solution to loose joints. People are hesitant, but those that have tried have thanked me. I would really be careful with Moss man though.
    I'm going to try that. i did the nail polish thing and it works, same with super glue, but I tend to get the white crust with super glue
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I will be trying that! I have used the glue-trick before, but while picking some music for the wedding, I forgot to work a Hordak figure I was "fixing" and wound up with a semi-paralyzed Ruthless Leader (sold to another member for spare parts later). It does work, but do not get distracted while doing so! I would try the floor cleaner!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I fixed my skeletor, ba he-man, neca raphael, toynami voltron and a few others with this simple trick without using glue or chemicals.

Take the clear rubber bands and wrap them around the joint. if you get the thinner small kind with gi joe, star wars, and some tfs, they disappear into the joint and even if some areas are a little visible, they are clear and hard to spot. The figures can still move but with the extra friction the joints no longer wobble.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andr0s81 View Post
    I fixed my skeletor, ba he-man, neca raphael, toynami voltron and a few others with this simple trick without using glue or chemicals.

Take the clear rubber bands and wrap them around the joint. if you get the thinner small kind with gi joe, star wars, and some tfs, they disappear into the joint and even if some areas are a little visible, they are clear and hard to spot. The figures can still move but with the extra friction the joints no longer wobble.
    That's how I fixed the goddess' wobbly head and the loose ankles on many MOTUC figures. It works great
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar

Use a clear acrylic floor cleaner. I use Future Floor Cleaner on my figures. I get a small paintbrush and dip it into the fluid and then dab it on the joints. If it's really loose use more. Make sure the fluids get into the joints and just quickly wipe away any extra spills.

Let the figures dry for about 4 hours and you'll find the joints are stiff. I have used this on all my loose action figures and it works wonders. I have used it on all my MOTUC, Marvel Legends, and DCU figures. I've been using it for over 8 years and I've never had a problem with toxic chemicals or damage. If you move them around too much, they might get loose again and just dab some more and let them dry again. Easy as that.

Future can be cleaned off with water. It does not stain or damage plastics. No mess no harm. Also, I have 1 bottle and it's just a quarter down and I've had it for 2 years. I have used it on at least 100 figures. It will last you a long time.

Awesome suggestion. Thanks for this.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

bskcase is the bomb... His method works the best and is safest. I'd go the clear acrylic floor cleaner route.

I've done the superglue fix in the past, and have never been totally happy with it. The floor cleaner acryilic I can get behind. Thanks bskcase!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I picked up some Pledge Future Shine this week (it was surprisingly hard to find--finally got it at Smart & Final) and tried it on my iiiiiiiiincredibly loose Tri-Klops ankle last night and it was all set this mornng!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Evil Spaghetti Eater Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    1) Dip figure in hot water and gently massage the loose joint.
    2) Put figure in the freezer for four hours.
    3) Take figure out of freezer and slap it around.
    4) Spritz figure with vinegar or lemon juice.
    5) Yell at figure.
    6) Put figure in oven and bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
    7) Yell at figure again, this time using profanities.
    8) Call Mattel for new figure.
    9) Wait for new figure to arrive.
    10) Repeat.
    I need to try this!

I recently tried the Pledge Future trick and it works pretty well. I found with my really loose figures that I've had to leave them sitting out overnight. If you don't touch them and put a good enough amount in the joints, they're a lot more stiff the next day.

Ace Hardware and Home Depot seem to be the best place to find this.

you can also boil the affected area - say if the ankles are loose - heat a pot of water to boiling and then hold the figure's feet in the water being careful not to let the plastic touch the pan at all - hold for about 2 or 3 minutes then let them cool on their own. You may need to boil a couple of times to get the desired stiffness. I did Man at Arms and Tri-klops - both of which would barely stand up - and now they are fine.

This is also a good way to reshape bent accessories

Thanks for the tip! (Have been VERY lucky thusfar with the exception of a loose ankle on Man at Arms)

Just had to chime in with a note about how much a genius bskcase is. I picked up some of that Pledge stuff last week as a bunch of the figures I ordered from 4 Horsemen as well as a couple of my MOTUC figs were loose. Ramathorr was so loose he practically did the splits when I tried to make him stand. I treated everyone's joints withthe acryllic floor cleaner and they're awesome now. Ramathorr took two coats, but he's in great shape now. thanks again for the suggestion bskcase!