Thread: He-Man's Hulk Hogan-esque Tan in MOTUC

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man's Hulk Hogan-esque Tan in MOTUC

So...we have Evil-Lyn skin color discussions all of the time. How come no one talks about incorporating He-Man's Hulk Hogan-esque tan and primary color scheme into a MOTUC bonus figure down the line?

How did you guys feel about this then? How do you feel about it now?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

he's about my complexion so I like it. as a kid I liked it too.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Since the MOTUC He-Man resembles the classic 80's toy, I like the complexion the way it is. But if we can ever get a Filmation inspired He-Man (even just a new head sculpt) then I would be down for the darker skin complexion and Sun-In orange colored hair.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    I'm like my buddy Steve here. I don't see color.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

I'm all in for slightly more tanned repaint of the comic pack He-Man, but that would be in the "Filmation's Hypodetail" and that style is retired... waitaminute... wrong speech. Filmation is off limits, yadda yadda. Filmation He-Man IS MOTUC He-Man with Less Detail and more contrast in his colors.

Is this He-Man Repaint less possible than 200X He-Man? She-Ra and Adora look like they PoPped straight out of the toon... I guess this is one of those blurry line, gray areas...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

It didn't bother me then nor does it now, although if they did release a tanned He-Man i'd be interested. Would it be off-limits?

I always thought the original represented the cartoon well enough. I still feel the classics version is fine enough. I don't really think it would translate well in figure form as it does on the cartoon.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

I would rather we got a black He-Man character. If we're going with a darker tan, make it count! I would avoid calling the character "He-Bro" for obvious reasons, but I think it would be cool if one of the past He-Men was a black dude!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure I really understand what the issue here is as I am looking at both my reissue He-Man and my comic He-Man and both to me are very tan and pretty good representations of the toon version, even if they weren't meant to be. Making a He-Man with a darker skin tone would be somewhat pointless if it were to represent pretty much the same character. If the next He-Man reissue were to sport a darker tan, then so be it as a running change.

Quote Originally Posted by AximusPrime View Post
    I'm not sure I really understand what the issue here is as I am looking at both my reissue He-Man and my comic He-Man and both to me are very tan and pretty good representations of the toon version, even if they weren't meant to be. Making a He-Man with a darker skin tone would be somewhat pointless if it were to represent pretty much the same character. If the next He-Man reissue were to sport a darker tan, then so be it as a running change.
    Put He-Man next to Adam. Adam is basically He-Man smiling and wearing royal clothes. Blue vested Adam is even worse off, as it looks like He-Man in a blue vest. Filmation tried to make the two different by making He-Man look more "outdoorsy" with the tan.

Anyway, there is no issue here. Just seeing what fans would think of a Filmation Colored He-Man repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I would rather we got a black He-Man character. If we're going with a darker tan, make it count! I would avoid calling the character "He-Bro" for obvious reasons, but I think it would be cool if one of the past He-Men was a black dude!
    I'm a lilly white guy but it'd be cool to have a black guy for MOTU that I actually like. I'm not a fan of Zodak and Clamp Champ seems like Mattel's designers put absolutely no thought into him.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Put He-Man next to Adam.
    Which He-Man next to which Adam? I thought this thread was about the classics line, which there is currently no Prince Adam released yet to speak of. Until Prince Adam is released, we don't really have a point of comparison to say that He-Man is not darker than Prince Adam.

Adam is basically He-Man smiling and wearing royal clothes.
    MOTUC Prince Adam when he's released, vintage figure Prince Adam on the other hand did not smile and sported a lighter skin tone than He-Man. 2002 Prince Adam was drastically different, but that's something else entirely.

Blue vested Adam is even worse off, as it looks like He-Man in a blue vest.
    In the comics, yes. That I'll give you.

Filmation tried to make the two different by making He-Man look more "outdoorsy" with the tan.
    Anyway, there is no issue here. Just seeing what fans would think of a Filmation Colored He-Man repaint.
    You mean MOTUC He-Man isn't in Filmation colors? Sure could have fooled me. He sports the orange colored bracelet/arm guard much like in the cartoon. The vintage figure never had those colored and the original prototype for Classics He-Man had them in gray. Also, the figure is pretty tanned. In my opinion, very close to the Filmation animation color scheme. I'm not saying I would rise up and rally against it, I just feel like we already have a Filmation colored He-Man as it is. If they were to create a Filmation Colored He-Man repaint, the least they could do is also make sure he's sporting the two bracelets rather than the one bracelet one arm guard arrangement of the vintage and classics figures.

His tan never really even phased me as a kid. Now it seems a little body builder-ish. But it's still cool with me.
    My Masters of the Universe Classics and Comic Book Reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gaycomicgeek

Quote Originally Posted by AximusPrime View Post
    Which He-Man next to which Adam? I thought this thread was about the classics line, which there is currently no Prince Adam released yet to speak of. Until Prince Adam is released, we don't really have a point of comparison to say that He-Man is not darker than Prince Adam.
    MOTUC Adam looks to be the same complexion. I see where you're coming from...guess we have to wait and see.

You mean MOTUC He-Man isn't in Filmation colors? Sure could have fooled me. He sports the orange colored bracelet/arm guard much like in the cartoon. The vintage figure never had those colored and the original prototype for Classics He-Man had them in gray. Also, the figure is pretty tanned. In my opinion, very close to the Filmation animation color scheme. I'm not saying I would rise up and rally against it, I just feel like we already have a Filmation colored He-Man as it is. If they were to create a Filmation Colored He-Man repaint, the least they could do is also make sure he's sporting the two bracelets rather than the one bracelet one arm guard arrangement of the vintage and classics figures.
    He's missing the red fur and bluish gray chest harness, as well as the deep tan. Filmation He-Man is way dark in color. Darker than Teela and Fisto.

Going from the reactions to the thread it seems as though fans aren't so big on the idea of a darker skinned He-Man. They seem satisfied with the normal version, despite Filmation.

Going from the reactions to the thread it seems as though fans aren't so big on the idea of a darker skinned He-Man. They seem satisfied with the normal version, despite Filmation.
    Us Filmation fans be simple folk. We don't worries about them things you calls detail.

To be honest, as big a Filmation fan as I am, I really didn't notice there were any differences between the toy and the cartoon. I guess I just don't pick up on these things as much as some do. I also didn't notice minor costume changes they've done to Wonder Woman & The Flash over the years until it was spelled out for me. Although, if someone moves a CD or Book at my house by just a quarter of an inch, I'll notice that as soon as I walk in the door.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I just can't picture the current MOTUC He-Man mold in Filmation colors. The MOTUC head and Filmatuon head look so drastically different. Now if Mattel sculpted a more Filmation style head then I'd love to see him in his Filmation colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    His tan never really even phased me as a kid. Now it seems a little body builder-ish. But it's still cool with me.
    Speaking of body builder tans, does anyone else think that Wun-Dar was cast in a Schwarzenegger-esque skin tone in homage to the figure’s rumored connection to Conan? Maybe it’s just my imagination.