Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Faker???

Court Magician

Why Faker???

Now I have to admit that Faker has always been my favorite character from MOTU...but why is he in such high demand? The price for Faker figures are ALWAYS higher than anyone else, and even on Mattycollector, Faker is the ONLY character that buyers may only purchase 4 of! Is he really that popular? Am I not alone in loving the character to death? What is it about Faker...who is just a He-man wearing Skeletor's armor when you get down to it...that makes him so valuable?

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Probably because he was initially released as a Chicago Comic-Con exclusive. He'll be re-released in June, along with She-Ra & Keldor.

He's one of the ones I'm missing in my collection, but I figured I'd just wait for the re-release.
    ~RK
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

cause he's such a Bad Ass figure..
    Last edited by Dawg88; April 22, 2010 at 03:51am.

It's called "HYPE."

he was actually the NYCC exclusive in 2009 (not Chicago... unless, did they also sell him in Chicago after NYCC?)
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    The German MotU community is the second biggest in the world. Back in the eighties neither the first nor the second Faker have been released in Germany, as there were plenty other MotU-products. Even in the eighties Faker was a sought-after figure. I think Mattel didn't produce him in the same amount as the other figures- that's why he got a second release in 1987- but those figures are rare now because they have been the last wave.

In the 200x line Faker has been a striclty limited figure at SDCC. That's why his price is so high.

And in the Classics line... well... he was supposed to be an exclusive figure, too. But when Mer-Man's production run was late, he slipped into the time slot... but with fewer figures because half of the production was sold to people going to the con. From the first figures with fewer amount produced he is one of those figures that didn't have a re-release...yet. Just wait until June...

I agree with you. It's not just MOTUC but even the 200x is super expensive on eBay. I hope I can land one in June.

Interesting question, i can't seem to work out why he's so in demand for lack of a better word. I can't remember Faker being rare or anything like that, so i do wonder when did he suddenly become in demand? Maybe i'm wrong about that he's always been 'popular'?

Faker's vintage price can get high but not like what someone would pay for a vintage Scareglow for example. 200X Faker on the other hand is pricey, being an exclusive its easy to understand.

I surely hope I can score a Faker as well. For the reason of high demand on the bay, thats beyond me other then hes just a cool figure anyway.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    The German MotU community is the second biggest in the world. Back in the eighties neither the first nor the second Faker have been released in Germany, as there were plenty other MotU-products. Even in the eighties Faker was a sought-after figure. I think Mattel didn't produce him in the same amount as the other figures- that's why he got a second release in 1987- but those figures are rare now because they have been the last wave.
    That's really interesting cos Faker was never released in South Africa either... I wonder why that was.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    That's really interesting cos Faker was never released in South Africa either... I wonder why that was.
    Indeed. I used to see him on cardbacks and posters and wonder who the heck he was. (Missed the original episode with the glowing eyes regular skinned faker.)
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Indeed. I used to see him on cardbacks and posters and wonder who the heck he was. (Missed the original episode with the glowing eyes regular skinned faker.)
    Yep, I used to dream of finding him in the shops. Imagine my excitement when I found him at a market in London!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Yep, I used to dream of finding him in the shops. Imagine my excitement when I found him at a market in London!
    I had GI-Joe dreams like that...

That being said though, I was never a faker fan. I cannot see the great appeal unless it is just his continued rarity. I've always seen him as a bizarro He-man and one of the less interesting of Skeletors henchmen.

I was entertained by his appearance in the cartoon now that I've seen it, such as his explanation for his strange sounding voice and his demise.

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It's called "HYPE."

he was actually the NYCC exclusive in 2009 (not Chicago... unless, did they also sell him in Chicago after NYCC?)
    Well that would definitely explain it. I was wondering myself that why is Faker auctions constantly going over $60 on ebay, it just didn't make any sense. Thanks for clearing this up guys!
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    It's called "HYPE."

he wasn't offered @ the chicago con, only nycc (thats where i got my 12!) and on mattycollector.com. it would have been nice if they offered him @ wwcc , i woulda saved alot of money instead of heading out to new york for the weekend.

=)

Quote Originally Posted by MoViEfReAk View Post
    In the 200x line Faker has been a striclty limited figure at SDCC. That's why his price is so high.
    In the 200x line faker was the toyfare magazine mail away exclusive, i remember buying tons of magazines that month to get him.

i wish they woulda released the staction version, he looked soooo sweet in the pics!

=)
    Last edited by Son of Keldor; April 22, 2010 at 07:48am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Evil Spaghetti Eater Kobra Khan's Avatar
    And it wasn't released here in Italy, neither, but we knew him because of the cardback illustration of other characters.

It's called "HYPE."

I assume by "hype" you mean "hyper awesome."

Seriously though, he's right! Probably his exclusiveness makes sellers think he's more special. Either that, or he really is hard to get ahold of. I think think you (author of the thread) aren't far off in saying that his fan base is larger than you think! I mean, on one hand, you've got an evil robotic He-Man. That's awesome like flaming chainsaws right there. On the other hand, if you're the type who loves hilarious things, this is an evil robotic He-Man who is obviously not He-Man. At all. Whatsoever. He's even wearing an ORANGE Skeletor harness.

So if he's not totally awesome, then he's completely hilarious. Or, if you're me, then he's both.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    My appeal for Faker comes from the fact that back in the 80s, he WAS my He-Man until the New Adventures one came out. I never once saw (nor had my parents) a He-Man figure in stores, so Faker was the closest thing I had to He-Man to be He-Man.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    My appeal for Faker comes from the fact that back in the 80s, he WAS my He-Man until the New Adventures one came out. I never once saw (nor had my parents) a He-Man figure in stores, so Faker was the closest thing I had to He-Man to be He-Man.
    Heh, that's awesome.

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenbane View Post
    The price for Faker figures are ALWAYS higher than anyone else, and even on Mattycollector, Faker is the ONLY character that buyers may only purchase 4 of!
    Faker was originally the New York Comic Con exclusive, and he wasn't really intended to be a regular sale item on the site at first.

The same month that he was to be this convention exclusive, Mer-Man was supposed to be the regular monthly release figure on the site. But there was a delay in Mer-Man's production and he got bumped to the following month.

As a result, Faker ended up playing double-duty as both the NYCC item and the MattyCollector monthly figure. Since they had to split their supply between the convention and the site, and this was sort of a last minute issue that they didn't have time to plan the stock in advance for, they made the limit on the site 4 per person to give people a better change of getting him. So, that's why the limit was what it was. I know he is being reissued in the near future, but since that hasn't actually happened yet, it would seem that Mattel hasn't adjusted the ordering limit on their site, so it still shows 4 (I think it will likely change to 10 for the reissue). It's also possible that his total original production run (including those sold online and at the con) was lower than that of the other figures at the time since he was only meant to be a con exclusive, and for a convention that is smaller than SDCC. So, that all likely contributes to the high prices he goes for on ebay, etc.

He-Ro had a similar website limit of 6, and in his case, they actually did specifically plan out separate stock in advance for both SDCC and the website (with the SDCC version even having an SDCC logo on the figure that the website version doesn't have). Since they were able to plan ahead for that scenario, they were able to give him a slightly higher limit.

I also think when King Grayskull was sold on Matty Collector after SDCC 2008, he had a lower limit, though I don't recall what that was (I actually had a friend pick up a couple of Grayskulls from the con for me, so I didn't order mine via the site). And Matty Collector no longer lists the limit for him since that version of Grayskull has been "retired" and the version that will eventually come out will be slightly different.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    never thought i wanted him, but not i'd love to have him. his paint job is awesome.

Because he's an evil blue He-man...and that is pure awesome.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Very true: awesomeness speaks loudly.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

If a (MOTUC) Faker goes up for bid on eBay in the Forest and nobody is around to bid for him, is he still worth $60??? Hmmm. I'll have to ponder on that one...
    The Portal to the Terrible Dimension of Despondos
    "Either a certified genius or an authentic whacko"

RATTLOR FOR MOTUC!

Expendable Vintage Cherry Picker

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Part of it is the exclusive nature of both of the most recent versions, but, from what I've seen on the boards, there really is a great affection for the figure. He's never been a favorite of mine, and, in the original line, he was basically a cheap way of making a new figure without needing any new molds (just an awesome sticker!). But somehow he did seem to worm his way into the hearts of a lot of MOTU fans from such humble beginnings....
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)
    I guess the vintage Faker was always a rare figure to begin with. Everyone loves the BIZARRO version of He-Man!
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339