Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be different if Mattel had the Filmation rights from the start?

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar

What would be different if Mattel had the Filmation rights from the start?

What do you think would be different if Mattel had the Filmation rights from the start of this Classics line? Would there be a significant difference or not? Do you think it would be worth it for them to obtain those rights? I'm a huge Filmation series fan and just wondering what everyone else thinks.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I don't think holding FILMation rights would change Mattel's plans for the bio-storyline much. Nor do I think it would have changed figure release selections up until now, because I feel Mattel would have held back key 'A'-list FILMation characters as hostages to deliver 'buzz' and 'hype' for later in the line (much as they are holding back Sorceress and Ram Man).

However, if they had the FILMation rights, I do think there would be a greater effort to incorporate parts of that mythos into the storyline, such as a mention of the role of Enchantress in holding Miro prisoner and reference to time spent on Trolla and The Chimera in Marzo's bio.

Incorporating FILMation characters into MOTUC is essential in my view. There are so many great characters!

This MOTUC is our opportunity to have a full collection of MOTU figures spaning the whole mythos - and that has to include identities such as Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Fang Man, Uncle Montork, Morgoth, Kothos, Shokoti, General Tataran, etc, etc, etc.

Mattel know we would buy FILMation characters. They need to pull their wallets out, buy the rights, and add these figures to the release schedule!!!

Huge difference bothg ood and bad. if Mattel had filmation rights and they first released a Filmation Marzo all the MYP fans would be ripping the figure apart and complaioning about getting what they deem to be an inferior design, and vice versa. people would be less patient (if that was possible hahaha) to see whats later down the road. But on the positive side we'd have the door open for so many more cool characters and also design options.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I don't think Mattel would have made a Filmation Marzo- there wasn't much fan interest in the character. The interest came because of his first appearance in MYP - a nod to the original series and they made him a bad-ass villain. His return helped producers realise he was a popular secondary villain and so brought him back in Season Two and helped him affect the story-arc. Suddenly, Skeletor wasn't the 'only' villain.

However, I do think we would have seen a sprinkling of other Filmation-influences/characters if Mattel had had the rights from the start. It would give the line a great drum-roll- one I'm hoping we'll hear at SDCC this year.

I think Mattel realise that they need to keep things moving with the line to satiate the appetites of fans. When we first saw that lone He-Man figure a couple of years ago, who'd have thought we'd see King Grayskull come out first and have the likes of Optikk, Tytus, Count Marzo and Adora sitting pretty in the line?

There's some 'cult' interest in mini-comic and pre-Filmation work, but the possibilities that the Filmation rights offer to the line are astronomical from a business perspective. It's The Great Untouched as far as I'm concerned and only the Snake Men are the only other 'untouched' faction of MOTU that fans may consider 'ground-breaking'.

I just hope they get to them when interest is at it's peak to capitalise on the opportunity. They've done a stellar job thus far and I personally have faith in Mattel.
    Last edited by Scorpia; April 30, 2010 at 08:12am.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

It would be completely different. I like the way it is without the corny Flimation storyline. Yea it was great as a kid but to incorporate it in modern times may be tuff. They do have characters and items that would fly in the MOTUC storyline but thats it.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

The only things it would change, that I can think of off the top of my head, is that Teela wouldn't be a clone(I'm all for that; the clone origin was just a sloppy retcon to explain why the Teela toy looked like the mini-comic Goddess/Sorceress imo) and we'd have a Count Marzo with Chimera(I'm also for that). Unfortunately, it's a little too late for all that.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Given that there are already four canons to work with (MOTU Mini-Comics, POP mini-comics, NA mini-comics, MOTU 200x) I don't think story-wise, the bios would be that different. They are doing their best to add it all up into one cohesive story. Keldor and the sword saga may have been a bit different, though who's to say how without turning this into a fan fiction debate.

Stylistically, I don't think there would be much difference either. King Randor is Exhibit A. Back in the 80's they could have made a Filmation accurate Randor, but they chose to deviate quite a bit. Classics being what it is, they would still have made the toy version of 80's Randor (at least initially).

What we would have seen by now are a couple of Filmation-only characters introduced into the line. And I think it's no coincidence that they've held off on releasing certain characters that they have the rights to but who would be greatly impacted by access to the Filmation library (Marlena, Sorceress, Bo, etc).

In fact, I wonder if the Adam/Orko two-pack being released at SDCC is any indication that they have a Filmation announcement to make. If we somehow don't see Orko's bio until SDCC, the answer is surely "yes."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    What do you think would be different if Mattel had the Filmation rights from the start of this Classics line?
    There would be even more complaining and differences of opinions.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Everything would change. I believe the bios would be more true to Filmation with a sprinkling of mini-comics, MYP, new information and a little bit of MVC.

We would definitely get characters such are Uncle Montork and Dreelle to re-use the Orko buck...and because they are popular.

We would also get a COMPLETE Horde with Scorpia, Octavia and the like...and SEA HAWK! There are so many amazing Filmation-only characters that are currently off limits that it breaks my heart. Just think of all the amazing information we could find out about Eternia if they released Malaktha?!

Mattel better get the Filmation rights soon.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Maybe it is just the conspiracy theorist in me, but Mattel knows how much fans would like some filmation characters. Wouldn't it be smart for them to hold off on the filmation rights until a point when interest in the line starts to decline? Announce filmation with a shadow weaver prototype and Boom! Instant resurgence of interest. At least, if I were planning the line out to 2016, that's what I would have done... So, therefore, I don't think the line would have been different because I don't think they would have announced that they had the filmation rights yet.

Then again, I have no idea how much money it would take to buy the filmation rights, so my theory could be completely crazy.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    There would be even more complaining and differences of opinions.
    That's pretty much how I see things as well.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I'm not sure the bios would change much, and I would be fine with them changing them up any way they want "if" only we could get some MOTUC's Filmation characters!!! There are so many great ones! It is a shame that they are not in the cards for the immediate future! I'm still holding out some hope that Mattel pops for them in a year or two. I think they have plenty of collectors fired up to buy the 2011 sub, but they may need to re-energize the line in 2012/2013. What better way to pull this off, than with some of the beloved Filmation characters that we are all hoping to get!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    If the had filmation from the start, and were churning out cheesy over simplistic designs then the answers simple, I wouldnt be collecting the toys.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I think the bios and most of the figures would be the same, but I bet we would have had Strongarm by now. I think he would have been in the first year.

Yeah, I doubt things would be much different. They probably would still have gone with MYP's Marzo design, since it's so much more popular. The biggest difference would be in the characters released. Probably at most they would have done one or two Filmation characters by now, so not much difference really.

I feel like the bios have done more to confuse us than clarify things, only because there is still so much to learn. I definitely think that some characters are being held back because Mattel either wants the rights to Filmation, or they already have them, and they want to use some of those designs.

Here is why i really think they have the rights:

-let's be honest here, Orko does NOT look like his vintage toy, nor does he look like the 200X toy. His wand looks like the wand in the Filmation cartoon.
    I think his being the sdcc exclusive allows Mattel the ultimate way to usher in Filmation characters and make, arguably, what will be the biggest piece of toy news this year.

-the company that owns the rights to the New Adventures cartoon ALSO owns the rights to Filmation. Toyguru said that New Adventures Prince Adam was possible. He said that, I believe, as a teaser. If Mattel has the rights to the characters in the NA Cartoon, then they likely have the rights to the Filmation library as well. No company would negotiate to sell these rights without requiring Mattel to buy them ALL.

-the icon of Eternos city looks like the Filmation Version. I think I have seen that version in other media, but I can't remember for sure.

-if Mattel wants to make motu movies they cannot run the risk of being sued by a company that owns the rights to Filmation. Not only that, but they won't be constrained by the lame limitations they have been in the past when it comes to motu media.

-TG was asked AT NY Toy Fair about whether or not Mattel was trying to acquire the rights to the Filmation cartoons. Every time he has been asked that, he has said no, not at this time. At NY Toy Fair, TG said "uhm, we have no comment at this time.". That is on Pixel Dan's video of the media q&a at the fair.

-speaking of Pixel Dan, Mattek ordered him to remove all of the Filmation clips he had been using in his reviews. Why? Mattel doesn't own them, right? So who are they to make such a command? Of course they own them. They couldn't let their usual penchant for total control wait for their sdcc announcement. They HAD to shut Dan's use of Filmation clips down!! Lord knows he must have been making a mint because of them (eye roll). That kind of control is typical Mattel-legal nodus operandi.

-the European POP calendar was created and the company that produced it revealed that they had to by the licensing rights from Mattel. The calendar? All Filmation images.

So that's my case for Mattel already holding the rights to Filmation. They may have had the line set up until 2016, but we don't know for sure that they won't start producing more than one monthly figure each month in 2012.

They may also add another set of quarterly figures based solely on Filmation characters.

It's all just conjecture, but there actually is some evidence there to support my theory.

-
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

You might be right bcrduke. But I think they might not have the rights yet. Which is another reason to have Pixel Dan's reviews changed if they are in the process of aquiring the rights. Either way I hope Mattel surprises us at SDCC and announces they finally have the Filmation rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    They may also add another set of quarterly figures based solely on Filmation characters.
    Now that would be AWESOME!

Only thing different I can think of is that Shadow Weaver would be sitting on my shelf downstairs

IF Mattel actually does now own the rights, WHEN would they start making use of them? Why spend such an amount of $$$ and not start getting some return on the costs?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Nice to hear everyone's ideas on this topic. I'm a hardcore Filmation fan so if Mattel secures the rights to those characters/likenesses, that would be the best thing to happen for me since the DVD releases!

And since I never really gave my thoughts on this topic, (I usually like to post first and get some responses from others before I chime in) I think that with the Filmation rights several things could be utilized.

The bios could be touched up a little bit with hints of classic Filmation stories.

Artwork from the classic series could be utilized as backgrounds. Or even design mini-comics based on those stories/artwork since most of the work would already be done.

Important characters from the Filmation series could be made, and other not so important characters can be made easily by using existing parts.

I don't know but I can dream can't I?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Everything would change. I believe the bios would be more true to Filmation with a sprinkling of mini-comics, MYP, new information and a little bit of MVC.
    I'm really glad they DON'T have the Filmation rights if it means the bios would be more true to Filmation. The less story ideas from Filmation the better.
    Getting some Filmation only characters is fine, but stay as far away from Filmation stories as possible.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I'm really glad they DON'T have the Filmation rights if it means the bios would be more true to Filmation. The less story ideas from Filmation the better.
    Getting some Filmation only characters is fine, but stay as far away from Filmation stories as possible.
    Why would you say that? Some of those stories are the best MOTU tales of all and even just a couple details from some of them would make the bios A LOT better if you ask me. In fact I wish it was reversed and Mattel had Filmation rights and not NA and/or 200x, that's how strongly I feel about the classic Filmation series. If it wasn't for that series MOTU wouldve been no where near as big as it was.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Shotoki and our favorite talking dragon could have had major roles in the bio. Alot of the Horde and Etheria could have been fleshed out more. The toys could have entered a whole new level.

BCRDUKE- i agree 100%with you. I think by now they have the rights and will announce this soon enough.

however, other than a few characters like shadow weaver i do not think there are TONS and TONS of characters that can not be made. only certain 'looks' or versions of characters like count marzo for instance, then again i am not sure many people actually would prefer the classic marzo to the 200X marzo.

if they were smart they would have sealed up all the rights BEFORE they started up the MOTUC line since the series would have been at a very very low value since the series had already been released on dvd and no new media was in the pipeline.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!