View Poll Results: Is the 87' MOTU live-action movie worth watching...or is it garbage?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Worth Watching....pretty good!

43 82.69%
  • Garbage...stay away!

9 17.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 MOTU live-action movie?

1987 MOTU live-action movie?

So Ive never seen the 87' MOTU live-action movie. Is it worth watching or is it garbage? Thoughts/comments?

I really like the movie.

A lot of people dislike it, but the filmmakers only had $17 million in budget. Cannon was a cheap studio (they also made Superman 4). I heard the final battle was filmed in the directors garage, using his own money, because the studio decided to pull the plug just as the film was nearing completion (the final battle was the only thing left to film).

I say the movie is well worth watching. For having so many limitations it turned out quite well, the score is very beautiful, not to mention the movie features THE best portrayal of Skeletor EVER.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

I cannot believe this thread exists. If you want to watch it, watch it. If you donít, donít. You shouldnít give one iota what other people say.

Heroic Warrior
    As a He-Man fan I guess Id say watch it, just because its cool to see the characters, but I dont believe they did it justice.

I was 8 yrs old when it came out and I thought the same then as I do now: its really nothing like the cartoon, but its a cool 80's kids movie. Definitely worth a watch IMO.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I cannot believe this thread exists. If you want to watch it, watch it. If you donít, donít. You shouldnít give one iota what other people say.

If everybody thought that way, I guess this or any other message board would be about 80% useless.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Everithing MotU related is worth watching/enjoying/playing... at least once
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Well, I have to agree that you should make your own decision weather or not to watch it, I love it and have a great time with it. Sure, the movie's a bit cheesey, but almost every movie made in the 80s was. The one thing the movie has in absolute abundance is fun, from start to finish, it's a fun experience. It's a movie that never takes itself too seriously, and just seems to enjoy itself.

IMHO, the movie is awful, but you must give it a chance if you like MOTU, the 80's or retro Sci-Fi.
    You should not private yourself of anything that in a sort of way would enlighten your culture.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders(

My feedback thread

I don't think $10 at Best Buy is going to break anyone's bank. Last time I saw, that's how much it was on DVD there. Blockbuster's going to cost around $4-$6 to rent and that's if they have it in stock. The DVD has an audio commentary with director Gary Goddard. He does comment on some of the missing characters (Orko and Battle Cat specifically) and why they weren't in the film. The only other thing you're investing is your time which is under 2 hours at 106 minutes. Yes, you need to watch to the end of the credits or at least fast forward to the end. I went through about twenty years of my life not knowing there was something at the end of the credits.

If you buy the movie and don't like it, take it to a pawn shop or comic book shop that buys and trades. You're probably only going to get about $2 for it which in turn would prove to be your investment from renting it at Blockbuster.

It's not like this is the video tape from The Ring. You're not going to die seven days after you watch it. Otherwise, I don't think we'd have a he-man.org or MOTUC. HA, The Ring: a movie I wish I could have a refund on the minutes of my life I wasted in watching that crap!

Peace.

It depend on you actually, Just now I watch the original movie for the first time and my reaction was "That is one cheezy movie" but end up watching it till the end because I'm a huge fan of MotU and He-Man. Not the best thing in the world but you'll end up loving it.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Heroic Warrior
    Well worth a watch. Immense fun, captures the spirit of He-man perfectly, and the final battle in Grayskull alone is worth the viewing time.

if for nothing else watch it for Skeletor and Evil Lyn, they were FANTASTIC. as a kid I loved this movie because it was He-Man, different than what I wanted or expected but it was MOTU dammit! as an adult I see lots of flaws but I also see lots of good beyond that too.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Definitely has a cult following now and one of those movies I can always watch again. I'm really glad I bought the DVD. Just enjoy it and appreciate the vision they were trying to achieve.

Seeing Skeletors face projected over the Eternian horizon with He-man watching is still so awesome I think.

"...a new age begins..."
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    Seeing Skeletors face projected over the Eternian horizon with He-man watching is still so awesome I think.

"...a new age begins..."
    There's a great screen cap of that moment in Sallah's (apologies if I got the username wrong) latest blog post at mastersoftheuniversemovie.blogspot.com

I was 11 (give or take) when I saw the movie for the first time, and that scene gave me goosebumps. Good times.

The '87 film was rad. But if you haven't seen it by now, I don't know that I'd recommend it. It's considerably dated. It wasn't what I wanted even as a kid, but I still watch it from time to time. As far as it being a movie is concerned, its a nice piece of sci-fi/fantasy, but it wasn't like the cartoon, which is what I think everyone wanted (but probably would not have worked either). Again, I'd say it's awesome, but if you haven't seen it by now, you might not want to... Of course, then again, I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it if you're a He-Man fan... ?

Have to be seen just to know what it is but this is "Garbage...stay away!"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Of course, then again, I don't understand how you couldn't have seen it if you're a He-Man fan... ?
    I did wonder the same thing. Maybe he's a new fan brought in by the "Adult collectables"?

It's still a great fun fantasy MOTU stylee romp though, even for an adult.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    For what it was, it was OK. They really did try hard to make a decent movie. I think if they had their original budget and if they weren't forced to make the cuts, the movie would have been better.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

its OK...Skeletor is pretty bad-ass....he-man on the other hand...but then again i don't think Dolph is a good actor...
    GIMME TOYS!-

I was a MOTU rape!!!
    Evil Heroic Norwegian

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by torbjorge View Post
    I was a MOTU rape!!!
    HUH!!

Awesome movie, watch it for sure. Skeletor & his henchmen rock & Lyn is smokin HOT!!
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

Heroic Warrior
    Now that i know they had just a $17 million budget, how much did the movie make?

This probably should be in the Original Masters of the Universe forum since stuff from the 87 movie is supposed to be in there.

I'd say watch it. I enjoyed it. One just has to keep in mind that it had a limited budget and try not to let that take away from your enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by vazqjose View Post
    Now that i know they had just a $17 million budget, how much did the movie make?
    I'm not sure how much they spent in advertising, but it made around $17.3 million at the box office domestically (and $1.5 million in Germany/Austria), so with DVD/VHS sales, it probably made a slight profit over the years.
    Last edited by Firefly; June 12, 2010 at 02:57pm.

I'd love to see the titles in the movie collections of the people who call this movie garbage. Really I would.

The movie was great. It was better than most medium budget sci-fi movies made around the same time. What was brought to the big screen directly from Filmation translated well. Sorry to disappoint the die hards with the exclusion of friendly happy comets, talking trees, and a clumsy snaggle-toothed talking cat.

Just watch it, and come back to tell us how great it was.