Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Tytus Video Review by Pixel Dan

Great review! I love the new intro and the synthesized Filmation music. You seem to be really good and anticipating what the big questions are going to be from us fans and answering them before we ask.

I'm one of those people who didn't know anything about Tytus until I started coming to this site a couple of years ago. After seeing the original and the MOTUC version from Toy Fair, I was not a big fan. After watching your review, I think I'm beginning to really like him. Not only is this one of the few MOTUC toys that I feel is far and away much better than the vintage toy from the 80's in every aspect, he just looks so cool towering over the smaller figures. Even though I don't collect Hasbro's Marvel Universe or Mattel's DCU Infinite Heroes toylines, I've always liked the idea of a giant toy that is bigger than the regular sized ones(Galactus, Giant-Man, Anti-Monitor). Besides Megator, I hope we get some more giant sized creatures as well as a Giganta-like female to keep Tytus company when he's not tending to his dinosaur herd.

LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Besides Megator, I hope we get some more giant sized creatures as well as a Giganta-like female to keep Tytus company when he's not tending to his dinosaur herd.
    Heck, it looks like Giganta would be a great "fill-in" until the first over-sized female MOTUC figure!
    – No comment.

I think Tytus is a figure where Mattel is going to cop bad feedback regardless. I have the Rotocast 200X He-Man and Skeletor and they are awesome. I also have the Palisades Sweetums figure from the Muppets line (he isn't rotocast), and I think that rotocast works better on bigger figures.

I think the weapon is lame, but if Mattel had left it out, would we complain about that? I would prefer a club or sword or even something new (???)

The lack of articulation is something I can deal with. I don't want to pay more just to have more articulation. Mattel needs to find a balance and I think they have done that.

I can see Mattel making improvements (softer loincloths, etc.) in future giants (there's at least four more they can do), but I don't see Tytus being re-done (just my guess).

Thank you Dan for the review.

This character is one of the worst and least anticipated characters for me (respects to all fans who like him) but I have to get one to complete my collection. He definitely doesn't worth $40.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Am I the ONLY one who cannot get any videos from pop culture network to play? I get past the commercial and then just an eternal loading or simple black screen.

Edit;

Not Mint In Box, Radical Retro Turtle Toy Talk and Comic Nation will play. The latest videos of those at least, I haven't check back episodes.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; May 4, 2010 at 11:24pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I really enjoyed the intro PD.

As far as the Titus goes I'm gonna get him regardless but I am dissappointed with the articulation. I would figure it would be easier to do that with a toy that big. Otherwise he still looks cool and i cant wait to have him in my collection.

Freaking awsome job on the review Dan!
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by anime hyper detail View Post
    Here are some comparison pics between my Vintage Tytus and my MOTUC Tytus. I have to disagree about the MOTUC Tytus having a lot of articulation. He has 12 points and 2 of those points are useless, because the legs cannot move due to the loincloth. That takes MOTUC Tytus down to 10 points of usable articulation. The vintage Tytus has 6 points, although the left arm has an action feature so it has a limited ability to be moved. So 12 points (10 really) versus 6 points (5 really) is not very much progress compared to the difference in the other vintage figures to their MOTUC counterparts.
    Don't know how you could say that double the amount of articulation is "not very much progress", but okay.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Am I the ONLY one who cannot get any videos from pop culture network to play? I get past the commercial and then just an eternal loading or simple black screen.
    I can't play them either. Just watch them on Youtube.

Tytus is the first figure that I find seriously disappointing. He's too small, lacks articulation, and has hard plastic loincloth & hair. It's the first time where I would say his original toy is actually superior to the Classics figure.

I hate to say it, but if they couldn't do him justice maybe they shouldn't have made him at all. Perhaps if they'd waited for a movie year to release him we could have gotten a 16" tall fully articulated Tytus.

Hopefully some of the issues like the hard loincloth will be fixed on a reissue, but until then i'm going to have to pass on a character I was originally looking forward to.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; May 5, 2010 at 04:22am.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    HI my tytus arrived today, and He truly is a Stunning looking toy! really well painted and I have no problem with the limited articulation. I expected it,and if anything he has more than I expected (i thought he would be as static as the 200X rotocast figures!)

Its amazing seeing the difference in the figures styles, Tytus has an amazing 'Realistic' sculpt compared to the "Hyper styled' 200X.
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; May 5, 2010 at 04:38am.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Another great review Pixel Dan!

Although I'm a tad dissapointed with the lack of articulation that I grew to love on the MOTUC line, but I believe that will soon change once Tytus is in my grabby li'l clutches to be called my own!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

HD figures on youtube
    Great review as always Dan tha man!!!!!

I’ve got the figure it’s great I think the quality is good and the paints are well applied. I was also a tad disappointed at the articulation however he’s a lot more solid and sturdy than other large BAF etc and he’s got some weight to him. However the figure is not in par with the rotocast 200x figures which cost half what this guy did. They had some very cleaver cut joints that gave some great posses and the figures still remains solid and sturdy.…I customed up a power axe for my one!

Thanks for the review Dan! Is that He-Man in the door of Grayskull, in the intro, getting struck by lightning??!?! That is soooo cool!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Thankyou so much as always for another awesome review, loved the snake mountain intro but love this one even better. Just brilliant.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

It's just me or the boots and lower leg sections looks a little like he has goat feet The knee-lower leg section-boot angle looks a little weird...

Court Magician anime hyper detail's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    Don't know how you could say that double the amount of articulation is "not very much progress", but okay.
    The vintage Skeletor figures typically had 5 points of articulation depending on the variant. The MOTUC Skeletor has 28 points of articulation. That is progress.

to HE-MAN

Why do you keep so many vintage he-mans??

Quote Originally Posted by Sea of sorrow View Post
    to HE-MAN

Why do you keep so many vintage he-mans??
    Why Not Thats what I collect! Plus every thing else MOTU!
    I Didn't Slap You! I High-Fived You In The Face!

I'm on Twitter: ThunderPunchU

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm expecting like $50...

I wonder if we'll get a coupon for Tytus like we got for Battle Cat?
    That's what I'm hoping for. Anything over ten dollars for shipping and I'll probably have to pass on him.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Calderon View Post
    It's just me or the boots and lower leg sections looks a little like he has goat feet The knee-lower leg section-boot angle looks a little weird...
    I thought the same thing. I wasn't sure if it was just the angle of the picture or if it was just in my head.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Hey guys,

I'm really glad you all like the intro so much. I just want to make sure credit is given where it's due. My friend Ryan Czaplinski created that intro for me to use (along with the Snake Mountain intro used in my last video.) He did an amazing job, and deserves all of the credit!

The background music, including the new version of the classic Filmation music, was composed by my friend Mat Howlett. He composes all of the music for all of my videos and podcasts, and is a great guy! So, he deserves all the credit for the music.

Just wanted to clear that up! Thanks again for all of the compliments, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome review, Pixel Dan.

I think Tytus looks awesome and am looking forwarf to adding him to my collection on May 17th (god willing). The lack of articulation does little to deter me from this figure.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    --I'm surprised to hear people complaining about the price for Tytus. It's already been stated, that the articulation was lessened, in order to have him fit within the price point. It's been specifically stated by Mattel and TG that more articulation would've more than doubled the cost for him.
    I don't know that people are complaining about the price because he lacks articulation so much as they are complaining about the price because it's too expensive for a figure that is rotocast to begin with.

Theoretically, this figure MAYBE cost a dollar or two more than a regular motuc figure. The articulation on the 7" figures cancels out the size of this taller figure in a way, so why are we paying DOUBLE?

Remember, we had the two rotocast figures (Snake Armor He-Man & Skeletor) in the 200X line. I'd be willing to bet that because those were so ridiculously rare, that the production numbers might be the same as Tytus (of course Mattel would vehemently deny this claiming they'd made hundreds of thousands of the 200X rotocast even though maybe 5 people ever found them at retail stores). Those only cost around $20 if I remember correctly.

This Mattel's most obvious and egregious example of price-gouging I've seen yet. It's really kind of sad.

In addition, considering the price point, there is absolutely no excuse for the weapon being flimsy or brittle or non-functioning. Disgusting....
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Kind of disappointed at this. A few too many little problems all coming together. I wouldn't mind the stiff hair, for example, if he had a ball jointed neck, or the loin cloth if he had ball jointed legs. Don't even satrt me on the shoulders and lack of bicep swivel.
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by anime hyper detail View Post
    The vintage Skeletor figures typically had 5 points of articulation depending on the variant. The MOTUC Skeletor has 28 points of articulation. That is progress.
    So twice the amount of articulation is somehow not progress, simply because we've reached nearly 5 times the amount of articulation?

I just don't see the logic, especially given that A) the sculpt looks great, B) It's not a bad price, at all, considering the figure is twice as big as an average figure, and not even 2 twice the price, and C) we were told from the beginning the status of Tytus's articulation, and the reason(s) behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I don't know that people are complaining about the price because he lacks articulation so much as they are complaining about the price because it's too expensive for a figure that is rotocast to begin with.

Theoretically, this figure MAYBE cost a dollar or two more than a regular motuc figure. The articulation on the 7" figures cancels out the size of this taller figure in a way, so why are we paying DOUBLE?
    Because it's a bigger figure, because it's the Adult collector's line, and it's being produced in larger numbers than a "normal" line.... Maybe even because it's a rare vintage figure?

Remember, we had the two rotocast figures (Snake Armor He-Man & Skeletor) in the 200X line. I'd be willing to bet that because those were so ridiculously rare, that the production numbers might be the same as Tytus (of course Mattel would vehemently deny this claiming they'd made hundreds of thousands of the 200X rotocast even though maybe 5 people ever found them at retail stores). Those only cost around $20 if I remember correctly.

Just the same, those were a part of a mass market line. Also, clearly Mattel had totally different marketing practices now, than they had then.

Further, I'm hoping that you might bear in mind, that you are talking about a current line, in which the basic figures cost as much (or more) as the rotocast figures from several years ago. It's all relative, to me.

Thus, price wise, a He-Man fig in 200X was to a rotocast fig in 200X, what He-Man in MOTUC now, is to a rotocast fig in MOTUC now.

This Mattel's most obvious and egregious example of price-gouging I've seen yet. It's really kind of sad.

In addition, considering the price point, there is absolutely no excuse for the weapon being flimsy or brittle or non-functioning. Disgusting....
    I don't recall the weapon being any of those things, but I could be wrong. The issues with the weapon were only per se; too heavy for Tytus to hold, scratching other figures, etc.

Frankly, I'm not really caring about the weapon, as I thought it was stupid from the vintage figure. But I understand the reason for Mattel to include it in the Classics version.

Regarding some of the limited movement, this was no different than with some of the other previous figures, but no one called for a cheaper price with those.

Mattel did what they could do to keep the fig's price as low as possible. Would you prefer that we spend twice as much for Tytus, than he currently is now?
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!