Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Tytus Video Review by Pixel Dan

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I donīt know if Mattel did what they could do. Maybe they only want more profit Thatīs strange for a company, isnīt it?

I wouldīve liked a ball joint head at least.
    But Battle Cat was really a snatch!

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Thank you Dan, your reviews are always illustrating
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Spiffing review as usual. No complaints about it.

About the figure though? different story.
    First, i find the lack of ball/cut shoulder joints to be absolutely inexcusable, and no bicep swivel? *face palm*.

I understand the lack of a ball jointed head..the ball jointed head on the regular figures is primarily there to facilitate swapping of heads, and since this tytus body it probably ONLY going to be used for him and MAYBE Megator(if they decide to scrimp on him), i don't see a ball jointed head being on the cards.
    It doesn't bother me that much if not for one thing..it means he can't look DOWN on anyone...what the...hes a giant..that can't look down on his enemies? Exqueeze me?

The lack of an ab crunch is no issue what so ever for me. Again it does mean he can't look down..but since he retains the waist joint its no biggy.

The stiff loincloth? I don't understand this at all. Have we really regressed back to the days of King greyskull? i don't see why they decided to go down this route.

I always purchase 2 of each figure..but i'm contemplating only buying 1 of him, and i have a bud that i usually buy motuc figures for, but hes now cancelled his order with me on the basis of Dans review (not a critique of Dans review of course!). I totally understand where hes coming from.

Personally i would have preferred that they completely locked his legs into a single pose, completely did away with the leg articulation and instead given him fully posable shoulders and upper arms..and maybe a ball jointed head to boot...It just seems that they've made some really odd choices here.

The leg articulation..while appreciated..is rendered almost completely useless by the stiff loincloth, and i suspect that posing him in any position other than straight up would be a...difficult prospect anyway. In my opinion its wasted development cost that would have been better served fixing his arms.

I REALLY hope that this doesn't impact upon the potential future release of large figures. If we got a tytus but no megator to pit against him..woooooo......raging of the nerds akimbo.
    Last edited by Jii Dee; May 5, 2010 at 06:41pm.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

I've never cared about articulation, which is why the stactions are the best MOTU product of all time to me. Thus, Tytus is fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've never cared about articulation, which is why the stactions are the best MOTU product of all time to me. Thus, Tytus is fine for me.
    I agree. I don't even think articulation is that important when it comes to
    a 13 inch figure like Tytus. I figured that people would be more happy with
    the fact he showed up this early in the line. I believe Marvel Legends played a role in this articulation
    craze everyone seems to be obsessing over.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    the fact he showed up this early in the line. I believe Marvel Legends played a role in this articulation
    Articulation is great, if you actually play with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    This has to be the most negative feedback/disappointment I've seen for a figure in the line so far? Be it price, articulation, or both, many people don't seem very happy with it at all.
    You're absolutely right. No, I'm not happy at all with this figure, he can't even carry his own stupid weapon!! and what scares me most is we'll be getting more large scale figures in 2011 sub just like this one, cheap quality for $40.

Evil Apologist of MattelŪ Count Marzo's Avatar
    I kinda agree there. To me, articulation is usually unsightly and ugly. I don't really pose my figures around that much either. Statues and things like that seem to look a lot better to me. Although I'm not complaining, I think MOTUC is the best form of MOTU to date.
    -=ĪEvilCøuntMarzøĪ=-
    BLÅĮK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Wow, I couldn't agree more. I mean, articulation is great and all, but once you see Tytus in person (like I did at C2E2), you really could care less, when he's standing side by side with other MOTUC figs, and you realize that there's so much about him that they really got right.

I'm betting that most of us don't actually play with our figs, and therefore, Tyus will merely be displayed. Now granted, I would've loved for him to have had at least a shoulder articulation, but it's no biggie.

I mean, the point of a giant, is so that he can stand up tall and display his height.... Who cares if he can't bend his legs?
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAMURAI36 View Post
    I mean, the point of a giant, is so that he can stand up tall and display his height.... Who cares if he can't bend his legs?
    Precisely. There's really no other purpose. If articulation was the
    goal, they might as well scale him down to the size of the rest of the
    characters. Height was clearly the priority in this figure, and he's given
    enough articulation to atleast be posable and functional. Like you said,
    most of us typically only display our figures so an excessive amount of
    articulation isn't that vital.

Quote Originally Posted by kagamigod View Post
    Articulation is great, if you actually play with these.
    Pretty much, although I like to think our type of playing
    amounts to pretty much tinkering, not actual play, but hey, some
    collectors do.
    Last edited by Azrael; May 5, 2010 at 10:03pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Agreed! This sculpt would have made a great staction too! *sigh*
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

I'm sorry, but it is disappointing for me that his articulation is quite that limited. The shoulders and neck are a particular let down, and also the lack of ankle and limited hip movement aren't great. I wouldn't sit him down (NONE of these figures can sit well), but he basically can only be posed one way. For all of that I still want to get him. I kind of hope that people will not buy so many now and he'll be easier to get....ha, I'm kidding myself. I hope they put more articulation into Megator and Gygor though.

Articulation is a big thing for me. I don't collect bricks. I collect action figures. I like to set them up and pose them different ways. Then add on a big sticker price plus take away articulation, I tend to run the other way
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

I understand that some will not like everything about him...BUT...don't like it? don't buy it! Its simple and easy AND it leaves more for the people who really want him and do not care about the weapon look or the way he moves. BTW the weapon is based off the old toy so....ugly or dumb is just the way it is. I think he is SWEEETTTTT!!
    I Didn't Slap You! I High-Fived You In The Face!

I'm on Twitter: ThunderPunchU

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I hope lots of people are put off by his "lack of articulation"...it'll make things easier for me on the 17th!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I hope lots of people are put off by his "lack of articulation"...it'll make things easier for me on the 17th!
    AMEN COUNTRY!!!
    I Didn't Slap You! I High-Fived You In The Face!

I'm on Twitter: ThunderPunchU

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Very nice review, thanks for your honest opinion as usual. Cool figure, not excited about him though. I am disappointed about the lack of articulation on this character. I hope I feel different about this figure when I finally get it.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I can't play them either. Just watch them on Youtube.
    Thanks for the tip.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Thanks for the review, Dan !

I donīt care for the lack of articulation and made my decision few weeks before to skip on Tytus.
    Good luck to everyone on May 17th *waiting on Gygor and Danīs review*

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Precisely!! However, I'll bet bon-bons to buttercups, that some of these same complainers will be the first ones in line trying to get one, and will be here complaining because they got the W/RSOD!!
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'm really concerned here. I plan to buy him because I would like to have a completed collection one day, but it sounds like he isn't really worth $40 due to the lack of articulation. I know Toyguru has defended the lack of articulation dealing with his size, but would it really have cost that much more to at least give him an abdomen joint?

Anyway, thanks for the review Dan, and based upon it, I will definitely not be displaying Tytus with his weapon. I just do not like how it looks like a vaccuum cleaner. I mean really, is he Grayskull's maid? That weapon is just so dumb and makes no sense to me.

I look forward to having him because he was also in Grayskull's world, but in all honesty, I feel nothing for this guy. He never appeared in any of the toons, so that makes it hard to like his character.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I just saw pictures of Battlecat next to Tytus and they are about the size.
    Maybe some-one can weigh both of them.
    Because I really want to know why Battlecat is 10$ cheaper when he is almost the same size, uses more plastic and has triple the articulation...

I mean, not even balljointed shoulders...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Bc is 550 Grams - 1.21 lbs

Tytus is 520 Grams - 1.14 lbs

(Please remember that my tytus doesnt have his Vacuum attachment (asian seller)So I couldnt weigh him accurately, but if its made out of the same extremly light plastic as the handle, then it wouldnt weigh much)

they feel very similar weights, but I think if Tytus was solid like BC he would weigh a LOT more!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; May 6, 2010 at 08:00pm.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Bc is 550 Grams - 1.21 lbs
    Tytus is 520 Grams - 1.14 lbs
    Thanks,

So either Mattel is using Tytus as a money cow or Mattel took a very small profit margin on Battlecat.

Don't forget that the Battle-Cat body will likely be re-used 3 more times for Panthor, Clawdeen, and Battle-Lion. Megator has a few different parts from Tytus.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"