Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mattel looks into Payment Authorization Failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Mattel looks into Payment Authorization Failure

Mattel speaks!

Toy Fans,

We’ve completed our investigation into why some fans received a “payment authorization failure” message during our 5/17 sale upon checkout and here’s what happened:

Due to an error in a system-wide code change prior to the sale, fans who had a sold-out figure in their cart received the message “payment authorization failure” instead of the standard message instructing them that an item in their cart was sold out and to remove it, then proceed to checkout. The technical team is working on it now and it will be repaired before the 6/15 sale.

We know this was extremely confusing and frustrating, but please know that the error didn’t cause anyone to miss out on Tytus or Optikk. The message was only received by people who were trying to purchase these figures after they were already sold out. Also, MOTUC figures are NOT a one-run limited line. Most of our fast sellers (including standard figures, giants and beasts) are planned to return for another run eventually so fans have a chance to complete their collections in time. Two-Face will be at Toys ‘R Us stores later this year. As soon as we have dates, we’ll post them.

--Matty

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Some of us already knew this, but I hope this can finally put the matter to rest.

They didn`t look hard enough, because I got the payment authorization failure the first time I tried to order right at 12:00, I was on early like usual, so this to me seems to be a smoke screen, Tytus wasn`t sold out when I got the error the first time because I went back and tried on another tab and he was still available, when I got it the second time he could have been sold out by then but not right at 12:00, go back and investigate why some of us got that same error when Tytus was still available Matty!!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    They didn`t look hard enough, because I got the payment authorization failure the first time I tried to order right at 12:00, I was on early like usual, so this to me seems to be a smoke screen, Tytus wasn`t sold out when I got the error the first time because I went back and tried on another tab and he was still available, when I got it the second time he could have been sold out by then but not right at 12:00, go back and investigate why some of us got that same error when Tytus was still available Matty!!
    I'm LOL-ing at Matty. Especially since I know several folks that got the Payment Authorization Failure message, changed cards, and got Optikk...

Nice try, though.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Widget
    Like I mentioned on Facebook. I was not trying to get Tytus nor Optikk, just Mer-Man. I got the error twice (with two different credit cards) before I finally got through with Mer-Man on the third try. So either their investigation is flawed or mine was unique (somehow I just don't think that's the case).

Not buying it... It happened to me, so I opened a new browser and started the process over. Everything was still available and I was able to add them to my cart (although Tytus did sell out before I was able to complete the sale...).

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by Occulus View Post
    Like I mentioned on Facebook. I was not trying to get Tytus nor Optikk, just Mer-Man. I got the error twice (with two different credit cards) before I finally got through with Mer-Man on the third try. So either their investigation is flawed or mine was unique (somehow I just don't think that's the case).
    Oooooorrrrrr, and this is a CRAZY idea, they're full of monkey chips.
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I assume the error in the code looked something like this:

else{
    //echo "Sold Out";
    echo "Payment Authorization Failure"; // New S.O.L. error msg.
    }
    Last edited by Marek; May 26, 2010 at 05:31pm.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Heroic Warrior
    What's that smell? Oh yeah, it's just more **** from Mattel.

Matty should just print out that press release and shove it right.

I also got that "Payment Authorization Failure" notice before any of those figures sold out.

Mattel must have something even better planned for us next month. Get those pitchforks ready!

Heroic Warrior
    It had been some time that Matty didn't give us the usual and stupid lip service.

Now, they're dishing out more BS. No surprise there : it's "good" ol' Matty !

But most people who experienced that error reported that they tried to purchase the figures when they were almost sold out. So to me it does make sense and it's cool that they are investigating it and (hopefully) fixing it.

I agree that if there are a few people who experienced this issue while the figures were still on sale they may need to investigate further, however.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

You know, I truly believe there would be a bit less venom and vitriol (even with the sellouts), if Mattel would just TELL THE TRUTH.

Like...What's the REAL reason that they won't drop Digital River? Surely there is a minimum level of performance called for in the contract...

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I started getting the payment authorization failure message around 12:05 when I FINALLY got to that screen.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I had the same experience! I doubt this was only due to the figure being sold out. When my payment didn't go through, I went back in from the beginning and when I got in the second time Tytus was still available. By the time the error message appeared again and I repeated the process for a third time, he was gone. This was not just due to a sold out figure. DR cannot handle the traffic its getting!
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    It had been some time that Matty didn't give us the usual and stupid lip service.

Now, they're dishing out more BS. No surprise there : it's "good" ol' Matty !
    Agreed.

Ya know, it's funny. The one thing that Mattel is making plenty of is the one thing I don't want to buy.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

My suggestion is to post your issues in the Customer Service forum on Mattycollector. I am sure that Jason or Emily from Digitalriver will take notice and investigate the matter further.

When the international tax issue cropped up, initially there was a misunderstanding and DR thought that we were enquiring about the VAT which we pay at the customs. When the problem was taken to the attention of those two people they quickly handled it properly.

I am sure this is just a similar misunderstanding. There is no reason to believe that they are deliberately trying to deceive us.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I am sure this is just a similar misunderstanding. There is no reason to believe that they are deliberately trying to deceive us.
    True, but there's every reason to believe that they don't care as long as they get their money and their "Mega Hype Inducing, Super Fast Sell-Outs".

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

I got an error msg at 12.05 and got booted back to first screen. I noticed there were 2 items in my cart so I clicked "check out" Then I entered my card again and then got a confirmation that it went through.

So I just managed a Tytus for myself and a friend...just.

I dreading Keldor's release.

I got the same thing and I kept getting it for the next 3 minutes. Thats when I finally gave up and lost all hope of getting Tytus. Later in the day I read that it sold out in 8 minutes... how does that work out if (like you) I was on the site with 2 Tytus's in my basket within a minute or two after the figure went on sale. I can't wait for the new club membership to come out so I won't have to deal with all the problems the company Mattel uses for their online sales. I can't believe they are still partnered with the same company after all of the problems they have caused with fan purchases. Hearing that the figure will go on sale again in the future doesn't help the fact that as a collector I couldn't get the first run of the figure due to mistakes once again made by the servers having a "glitch".

Quote Originally Posted by greatgibby View Post
    I got the same thing and I kept getting it for the next 3 minutes. Thats when I finally gave up and lost all hope of getting Tytus. Later in the day I read that it sold out in 8 minutes... how does that work out if (like you) I was on the site with 2 Tytus's in my basket within a minute or two after the figure went on sale. I can't wait for the new club membership to come out so I won't have to deal with all the problems the company Mattel uses for their online sales. I can't believe they are still partnered with the same company after all of the problems they have caused with fan purchases. Hearing that the figure will go on sale again in the future doesn't help the fact that as a collector I couldn't get the first run of the figure due to mistakes once again made by the servers having a "glitch".
    Exactly! So if he took 8 minutes to sell out then why did we get the error msg 2-3 minutes after 12?

Somebody is lying to cover their ***

I really hope Underproducing the figures and selling them on a bug riddled website isn't enough to kill this line.

Chewer of Trollans
    This is why it did make me miss on a character, Mattel: I had Tytus and Optikk in my cart. I believe that Tytus probably did sell out while I was checking out, but Optikk stuck around and I wanted him more. But I believe that since Tytus was in my cart and he sold out, I wasn't authorized to buy either.

Evil Spaghetti Eater Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Two-Face will be at Toys ‘R Us stores later this year.
    --Matty
    The first time I read this as "Two-Bad" and was about to faint.

Well, what else were they going to say? Practically every month there is some issue or other that gets a lot of us mad, but this has the benefits of at least sounding plausible - even though I don't buy it. Here's why:

I have a Sub, but thought I would be greedy and grab a second Optikk, seeing how I liked the design so much one to keep in the box would be nice - and with all the NA dislike that's gone on I figured that if ever there was a figure that WASN'T guaranteed a 10 minute sell-out it would be this one - niave, but hopeful.

So I'm on Matty at 11.59, get past the WSOD pretty sharply at 12.01 and get Optikk in my cart, already logged in so through to the checkout without any further appearance by the WSOD - this is easy thinks I - and select the card used for my Sub (which has already cleared on the 13th don't forget) it's just clicked to 12.03 when I get the "payment authorization failure" crap.

That's 12.03.

As I actually had this happen way back in the mists of time first time Mer-Man went on sale I didn't panic, remebered how Arthur had given advice on a succesful go-around, cleared my browser and went in through DR's Sale day page - Optikk is still not sold out at 12.05 so I do it all again - with a different card - checkout screen at 12.07 - same result. What the hell....?

Now according to the timeline many have already established - Optikk didn't actually go out until 12.10 or so - so where in the above was the opportunity for it to actually be sold out at 12.03 and 12.07?

I'm on a Quad-Core machine with 20 M broadband so it isn't my set-up cos there isn't much you can get that's faster, so, did the queue system (such as it is) really back up from 12.02/3 and everything after that didn't get served......it's not impossible but I doubt it.

We strongly suspected during the first Mer-Man debacle (remeber that?) that European Customers were blocked by a code change as only those that used a proxy server or used Arthur's backdoor route got served then - with Matty actually mentioning a "code change" in the excuse above it's possible that somthing similar happened here, but rather than a geographical block (Euro customers that wanted Tytus did get some in a few cases) it was a blanket rationing/queue code that gave the stupid Payment Failure lie.

Why those words is beyond me - I did contact my card provider on the second card to find out if there was a problem - there wasn't and no attempt by Matty/DR had been made to ask for payment - but it was 20odd minutes of my telephone bill I could have done without wasting as a result of a lazy, stupid lie.

That's what gets me mad - why the **** do you need to make it so damn aggrevating to purchase a damn toy, create pointless drama and then treat those that were inconvenienced like idiots afterwards.

Grow the heck up Matty. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post

Do you have extra rose-colored glasses for everyone?

They have NO IDEA why it happened and (as evidenced by the examples given in this thread) are slinging their monthly helping of BS.

I had tytus in my cart only minutes after 12. If what u guys r saying is true he sold out in two minutes and he was a full run not being a subscription figure. Sounds like bs to me.
    bnl4life