Thread: Was He-Man Your Idol Growing Up?

Widget

Was He-Man Your Idol Growing Up?

Did you idolize He-Man as a kid? I somewhat worshiped He-Man (especially the Filmation version but other versions as well, but not so much the early barbarian versions) due to his strict moral code and good character.

Although as a teenager I began to question his Western humanist philosophy, as someone now much older, I find his character (also shown in comic books and other media) to have such a great moral compass to emulate and strive for.

I mean, the world would be so much of a better place if everyone tried to act like He-Man (forgive enemies, humble, resists temptation, could recognize good from evil, saves lives, is unselfish, etc.) Although I liked Superman a lot as a kid as well, there is something about He-Man that draws a deep emotion from me, perhaps that Prince Adam is sensitive, vulnerable, and human.

Conversely, there appears to be too many Skeletors mucking up this world- those who focus on spreading death, destruction, and self-worship.

I understand that a lot of thoughtful people who post and read intelligent forums lean somewhat towards denying good and evil exist, and find morality to be dated and part of organized religion, but I do wonder if any other Generation Xers out there still find He-Man worthy of idolization.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Is this a yes or no question..?

Then yes.
    Although I also idealized the Ewoks, and they drop rocks on peoples heads.

Nope, believe it or not it was Michael Jackson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He absolutely was mine! I loved the power fantasy and wish fulfillment side of him as a kid, but as I've grown up, I've also really appreciated the strong moral core you mentioned. It's nice to see a character who is so powerful, but still have a gentleness and decency to him.

I have friends with kids who are having them watch the old Filmation show to impart those messages.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rko View Post
    Nope, believe it or not it was Michael Jackson.

AHAHA awesome..Mine too!!!... well him and Hulk Hogan...
    Cinco Banking System: Great. I've made the change. Your wife's new legal name is: TAARGÜS TAARGÜS. Is this okay?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    Did you idolize He-Man as a kid?
    Can't say that I did. I'm not sure if I idolized any character but if I did, it was most likely Spider-Man...

Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; August 12, 2016 at 12:04pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    AHAHA awesome..Mine too!!!... well him and Hulk Hogan...
    Haha. That's the best because apart from MJ I was also a massive Hogan fan. Well him and Big Poppa Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Can't say that I did. I'm not sure if I idolized any character but if I did, it was most likely Spider-Man...

https://media.giphy.com/media/BNfcKf0PQWeGc/giphy.gif
    My fondest memories as a kid was collecting Spider-Man comics. I still have over 500 comics today from the 90's!

Widget
    I was into Hulk Hogan too, thus my heart was broken when I found out he did steroids and was a selfish politician behind the scenes.

I sometimes fantasize about a Church of He-Man(like how Star Wars fans founded the Jedi Church).

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I was into Hulk Hogan too, ...

I sometimes fantasize about a Church of He-Man(like how Star Wars fans founded the Jedi Church).
    OOOH a He-Man church..?!?!

Do tell. How would the practise work?

He-Man was for sure #1, but I also said I wanted to be a Thundercat.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Don't know if "idolize" is the right word since I was a tad bit older than most He-Fans... but it sure was fun.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Son, when the Boogieman goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for *me*."

Heroic Warrior
    Prince Adam is a bit goody two shoes , he prolly had a black book with phone numbers of all the women he fancied

(as for Hogans "vitamins" , pretty much every wrestler used them according to Lex Luger , it was very common)

To answer the question : yes.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    OOOH a He-Man church..?!?!

Do tell. How would the practise work?
    Off the top of my head, practice would be leading by example as She-Ra and He-Man do did by helping people and being a good role model for kids.

Evil would be called out as evil, as opposed to the moral relativism. Fighting evil would be a last resort and the goal would be to move forward to a prosperous world as opposed to mutual annihilation and violence towards civilians.

More down to earth examples include going through the Filmation morals and building from there. I could not tell you how many millennials I know that could have benefited from these messages from their favorite TV show or cartoon. Many parents just do not have time for this, or assume the kids will do the right thing by osmosis or something, but the basic core is missing.

Focus on valuing forgiveness, love, communicating, dealing with temptations, hard work, family, teaming up, etc.

From the mysticism point of view (if one needs supernatural aspects or esoteric philosophies in a religion), Eternia could actually be a real place, since it does exist in our imaginations (like many gods and fiction do). There are some schools of thought (Magik and elsewhere) that indicate that feelings, beliefs, and imagination are just as "real" as the keyboard I am typing on, because they have an influence in reality.

As He-Man said in the last issue of the latest DC Comics series, WE HAVE THE POWER. (And in the 200x cartoon, King Grayskull had the power within him.)
    In Christianity it is similar to The Holy Spirit.
    In some threads of Judaism, we have the Hidden Spark of God who is in exile.
    In Hinduism God wants to be a surprised so lives in all of us but has forgotten the game.
    In some strands of Buddhism, we are the final authority of our lives and could wake up at any time.

Or, if one wants pop culture references, see The Matrix. Don't like mysticism? Choose from some Holographic Universe models or Reality is a Simulation theories.

Either way, in practice one could foster good, clean living as per Prince Adam/He-Man/Adora/She-Ra and the forces of good via charity and positive talk and actions.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for responding.

Thank you, @Yin Chan Vo, for this most interesting thread!
    I might not see eye to eye with you, but I do think we need good morals and inspiring role models to live together. My favorite stances on this matter are: “don't do to others what you wouldn't want others to do to you” and “my freedom ends when yours begins”. Also, I'm all for forgiving, giving another chance and acting kindly with everyone. Not because I'll be rewarded for this in the afterlife, but because, as you said, if everybody acted this way, this world would be a better place to live in. In other words, I think kindness and reciprocal altruism are great advantages for a species from an evolutionary point of view.

And what better way to teach this to kids than giving them heroes to look up to?

For some people, it will be a religious or historical figure. For others, a legendary or fictional character. Growing up, I loved Filmation's He-Man for the same reasons as you. I wouldn't say he was my "idol", but he was pretty close. He wasn't mean, he didn't want revenge, and best of all he had a sense of humor. In a way (I realized this later, when I studied philosophy), he was pretty close to Nietzsche's ideal übermensch: the best a human being could ever be, with a love of this world and of life, as opposed to Skeletor's nihilism. In this perspective, he would not be on the side of the "Good", but on the side of Life.

I don't think I would “worship” He-Man (or She-Ra) but in my point of view, it would be a kind of auto-celebration, not a celebration of myself, but of what I feel my duty to strive to be. An improved myself, fully developed, without resentment, without pettiness, without prejudices obscuring my vision of things.

So, you see, even a (kind of a) moral relativist, someone who thinks "Good" and "Evil" are not absolute things, can embrace what He-Man stands for!
    What doesn’t kill me makes me froggier.

Let's stay away from the religious talk. Feel free to create a thread in the Tar Swamp forum if you wish to talk more on that. Thanks.