Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Masters of the Universe UK Comics Fan Site is LIVE!

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar

The Masters of the Universe UK Comics Fan Site is LIVE!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...

The Masters of the Universe UK Comics Fan Site.

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/

This site has been established as a resource of information for MOTU/POP fans everywhere on the UK MOTU/POP comics published by London Editions from 1986-1991. It will be updated regularly with interviews with the comic's writers and staff, and in-depth summaries and reviews of all the individual issues of the comics published by London Editions.

Currently the site features a detailed article covering the history and legacy of the comics, and soon will feature an extra-special interview I conducted last summer with 'Scrollos' himself, aka Brian Clarke, the lead writer and editor behind the UK comics!

Enjoy browsing and message me with anything you'd like to see on the site :-)

This is awesome. Looking forward to exploring the site.

So cool! Be sharing this tomorrow, good sir.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Great news! I went to the site & it's fantastic. Very nice focus on the extremely underrated comics from the UK magazine in the late '80's/early '90's.

Circa 1989, I picked up a couple of these UK MOTU magazines in my Local comic store (in the U.S.). I remember the art being good, and the stories had both b&w & color art included. They were definitely an interesting take on the MOTU mythology. Unfortunately, my LCS didn't have any more of these, and I don't even know where my copies are now. The late '80's were the last time I saw these anywhere.

So, I would be 100% onboard with a collection reprinting all of these MOTU UK comics - I'd definitely get this on day 1. I hope Dark Horse produces something like this. I have tried reading these comics on this website, and it's nice that they are here - but, a full-sized reprinting would be fantastic. I think these should be reprinted in the original magazine size, not reproduced in a smaller size.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    At last!! Congrats on the official site launch. Looks awesome! I look forward to checking it out on a regular basis!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Cool! I discovered the UK series a number of years ago and it's one of the best MOTU canons!

Can't wait to check this site out. And hope the UK series gets its day in the sun with Dark Horse.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Fantastic stuff Mosquitor! Took ya long enough

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    And hope the UK series gets its day in the sun with Dark Horse.
    Hopefully.
    Though in the new Character Guide book from Dark Horse there's almost on every page UK Comics related entry/entries. So they aren't really hiding in shadows if ya know what I mean.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Can't wait to check this site out. And hope the UK series gets its day in the sun with Dark Horse.
    Agreed! I would get a MOTU UK comics compilation book in a New York minute

Court Magician
    Wow, great site, Mosquitor! I can't wait to check it out further!

I would LOVE for Dark Horse to reprint any, and all, of the old comics from UK, USA, and anywhere else! Also, the He-Man Magazine would be most welcome!!

The MOTU UK Comics Review section of the UK Comics Fan Site is live!

The Comic Reviews section of the Masters of the Universe UK Comics Fan Site is finally live and underway!

This section aims to eventually summarise and review EVERY issue of the MOTU and POP UK Comics, in the order of their release dates. Along the way we will be crediting all writers of individual stories and all artists wherever possible. New reviews will be added on a weekly basis, as much as is possible!

We begin this weekend with a review of the very first comic- Issue #1 of the fortnightly MOTU London Editions comic, which hit the newsstands in March 1986.

It features the following stories:

Legend of Grayskull
    Skeletor's Surprise
    Orko to the Rescue

Big thanks to Jukka Issakainen for creating the title graphics for each review.

Click below to read the review, and do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any comments, questions or suggestions for the site!

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/motu-issue-1
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Neat! Thanks for putting this together!

The review of Issue #2 of the MOTU UK London Editions Comics is now live!

Released in April 1986, this was in many ways the breakthrough issue for the comic series, where it really found its feet after the 'testing the waters' feel of Issue #1. It contains the stories:

THE LIVING ROCKS
    When battling a mysterious Rock Creature that is terrorizing the Shadow Lands, He-Man and Man-At-Arms stumble upon a strange underworld which leads them to Skeletor's latest evil scheme.

HORDAK'S REVENGE
    Hordak hatches a plan to destroy both He-Man and Skeletor by luring them both into a combat that neither of them can win.

SKELETOR'S CHAMPION
    Skeletor holds a championship games to find an evil warrior with the strength to defeat He-Man.

Click on the link below to read in-depth summaries and reviews of each story, along with trivia including an intriguing change in dialogue between the initial print of The Living Rocks and its later reprint in the Adventure Magazine.

Thanks again to Jukka Issakainen for the graphics!

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/motu-issue-2

issue2.jpg
    Last edited by Mosquitor; October 14, 2017 at 02:20pm.

This is great for me, I can prioritise which of the comics to buy, seeing as some can be quite pricey to buy, I know the ones on evilBay are nearly £10 each, similarly with She-Ra (my preferred comic), though most are about £15 upwards! Neither prices are great for me, but if I can identify which issue would float my boat best, getting the odd on here and there won't break the bank!

Lastly.... Manchester............ you're not peeking in my room are you? (looks out of window)

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    This is great for me, I can prioritise which of the comics to buy, seeing as some can be quite pricey to buy, I know the ones on evilBay are nearly £10 each, similarly with She-Ra (my preferred comic), though most are about £15 upwards! Neither prices are great for me, but if I can identify which issue would float my boat best, getting the odd on here and there won't break the bank!
    Thanks Zentron... I'll have more reviews coming soon!

Lastly.... Manchester............ you're not peeking in my room are you? (looks out of window)
    Whereabouts in Manchester are you based? It is of course the very city where the UK Comics were written and published...

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor View Post
    Thanks Zentron... I'll have more reviews coming soon!

Whereabouts in Manchester are you based? It is of course the very city where the UK Comics were written and published...
    Yes, I saw that on the back of my Mini World book, hopefully to have a couple more later today!

I'm just down the East Lancs in a town called Tyldesley, one of the places the evil misguided bus lane is wreaking havoc.

*EDIT*
    Yup, I won! Though initially I thought I had lost, as it said after the auction was over that, "Sorry, you have missed out", but when I refreshed, it asked me to pay for my purchase. So at present, very shocked, by which I mean literally shaking, but very happy, I won 3 of the mini books, The Red Stone of Darkmor, Threat to Crystal Castle and Catra's Prize Catch! Yeah, I've already got Catra's Prize Catch, but it was part and parcel with the bundle, so I can merely sell this one I've just won back on!
    Last edited by Zentron; October 15, 2017 at 09:22am.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Yes, I saw that on the back of my Mini World book, hopefully to have a couple more later today!

I'm just down the East Lancs in a town called Tyldesley, one of the places the evil misguided bus lane is wreaking havoc.
    Ah yes, I'm familiar with Tyldesley, though I'm not sure if I've been there.

*EDIT*
    Yup, I won! Though initially I thought I had lost, as it said after the auction was over that, "Sorry, you have missed out", but when I refreshed, it asked me to pay for my purchase. So at present, very shocked, by which I mean literally shaking, but very happy, I won 3 of the mini books, The Red Stone of Darkmor, Threat to Crystal Castle and Catra's Prize Catch! Yeah, I've already got Catra's Prize Catch, but it was part and parcel with the bundle, so I can merely sell this one I've just won back on!
    Well done and enjoy! I *think* the miniature POP books were written by Brian Clarke as well, he mentioned something to me about them. IIRC they were actually left out of the Dark Horse Encyclopedia. I'm sure I still have one or two of them somewhere. They may be worth a feature on my site somewhere down the line.

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Tyldesley, though I'm not sure if I've been there.
    Not much point in going here though, the place is a dump and only getting dumpier thanks to Wigan Council!
    Well done and enjoy! I *think* the miniature POP books were written by Brian Clarke as well, he mentioned something to me about them. IIRC they were actually left out of the Dark Horse Encyclopedia. I'm sure I still have one or two of them somewhere. They may be worth a feature on my site somewhere down the line.
    Interesting to know, there's no credits anywhere on or in the books as to who wrote them, just the name and location of the publishing house on the back cover, nothing else. I've just put up a picture of my win in the latest She-Ra score thread, I've arranged them in order according to the ISBN on the back, also if I'm reading things right, it looks like there's two that came before them, I have 7883, 7884 and 7885, so it looks like I'm going to have to do more shopping!

*EDIT* 19/10/17
    Just received the fourth book from this series, Princess Adora Imprisoned.... I decided to give Amazon a go to find the next book and I wasn't disappointed, especially since it only took a day to arrive after purchase, so I'm a very happy bunny!
    Last edited by Zentron; October 19, 2017 at 04:03pm.

The review of Issue #3 of the UK MOTU Comics is now live!

This 3rd issue (released April 1986) contains the stories:

Man-At-Arms: Traitor
    Skeletor kidnaps Man-At-Arms and brainwashes him to serve his own evil commands, instructing him to build a new weapon that will destroy Eternos City.

Jewel of Fire
    He-Man and Skeletor both scour the jungle in search of the Jewel of Fire, which will give its holder equal power to that of Castle Grayskull. Who will reach it first?

Undersea Attack
    Mer-Man discovers an undersea tunnel that leads right through to a pool in the gardens of the Royal Palace of Eternos City. Skeletor prepares an invasion force to use the tunnel to invade Eternos.

This issue also sees the debut of "Brains, Not Brawn", a very popular feature that challenged the reader to help He-Man solve complex puzzles.

Click the link below for detailed summaries and reviews of these stories and this issue!

Big thanks to Jukka Issakainen for the title images.

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/issue-3

issue3.jpg

The review of Issue #4 of the MOTU UK comics is finally live!

(Apologies for the long delay in getting this particular review online. I promise the next one will not take so long!)

This issue features 3 stories:

Raiders From The Sky
    Hordak makes his first assault on Castle Grayskull with a solar-powered flying fortress constructed by the enslaved Cat-Nik people.

Mountains From Space
    Skeletor uses his powers to divert a meteor shower in space towards Eternia, set to crush the entire planet. Placing a protective shield over Snake Mountain, Skeletor looks set to survive while the rest of Eternia faces certain doom - can He-Man and his comrades thwart the scheme before Eternia is destroyed?

The Carpet of Chaos
    Skeletor goes in search of the legendary Carpet of Chaos, which will grant him great mystical powers. He-Man must attempt to stop Skeletor before he obtains the carpet - with the help of Orko's magic abilities.

All three stories are reviewed in the link below! Click to read this latest comic review...

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/motu-issue-4

issue4.jpg

Chris here...

Hi Aidan, great to see you still around, my friend! I'm back (said Chris, stating the obvious! ) after a long hiatus. Back in the summer I randomly started getting back into MOTU / POP in a big way and found your website via Google - I actually didn't realise it was you behind it at first!

But yep, the site is a fantastic resource - I've long loved the UK comic series as you know, and to see the series get its' own dedicated website is awesome! Keep up the great work and for my part I'll keep checking back for updates!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Really enjoying the site Aidan, keep em coming
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

The review of Issue #5 is finally live! As this is a pretty epic issue of the comics, this is a pretty detailed and revealing analysis of a classic issue. Click below to read about...

*The iconic cover image and the classic comic covers that inspired it - along with the subsequent cover it may well have inspired...

* The debut of the 'Master Mail' letters page where readers' questions and opinions on the MOTU comic were answered directly by Scrollos. Did this letters page really feature a hint as to the Skeletor/Keldor origin story planned by Mattel? Find out here...

* The debut of the recurring character of Jodder and the story behind this character...

* And of course, the stories themselves:

Hordak's Assault
    Hordak hatches a plot to use Anti-Gravity Devices to lift a large mountain above Castle Grayskull before bringing the mountain crashing down to crush the castle. Can He-Man stop his scheme in time?

It's A Small World
    Skeletor steals a serum from the great Eternian scientist Jodder that will shrink any living being to near-nothingness - and uses the serum on He-Man! When our shrunken hero is imprisoned in an hour glass, about to be buried alive by sand, all seems lost for Eternia... Is there any hope?

Glove of Globolah
    An archaeological expedition uncovers the Glove of Globolah, which possesses powerful magic strong enough to rival that of Grayskull. But Hordak steals the glove and sets about using it himself to attack Castle Grayskull.

Big thanks to Brian Clarke, Joe Amato, Jacob W. Torbeck and Jukka Issakainen for their assistance in putting together this review.

Click below to read about this epic edition of the UK Comics!

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/motu-issue-5

issue5.jpg

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The review of Issue #5 is finally live! As this is a pretty epic issue of the comics, this is a pretty detailed and revealing analysis of a classic issue. Click below to read about...

*The iconic cover image and the classic comic covers that inspired it - along with the subsequent cover it may well have inspired...
    Awesome read!

That Mighty Thor cover does look very similar. Was it a UK publication too or artist working from UK on it?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

The Review of Issue #6 is live! This issue is significant for featuring the first 2-part story (of sorts) in the UK Comics, and also expanding the villains’ backstories with a flashback to Skeletor’s betrayal of Hordak. The stories are as follows:

Mind Stone
    Skeletor invades the village of the Evoks, an insect-like race who have carved a statue from a meteor that recently fell to Eternia – which enables its holder to project their mind into the body of any person or creature of their choice.

Machine Wars
    Skeletor uses the statue carved from the Mind Stone to infiltrate a public demonstration of the Heroic Warriors’ vehicles, projecting his mind into the vehicles and causing them to attack the Masters.

Pact of Evil
    Skeletor and Hordak form one of their rare team-ups as they agree to work together to destroy He-Man before continuing their own private battle for control of Eternia. They succeed in capturing He-Man – but will they succeed in destroying him?

Click below to read the summaries and review of this issue!

https://www.motuukcomics.co.uk/motu-issue-6

issue6.jpg

Just checked the site for the first time. Fantastic effort Looks very informative, and just makes me hope even more for a Dark Horse edition of all the UK comics and books.
    Guess again, lobster-lips