Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The arrival of Optikk really makes "Classics" official.

The arrival of Optikk really makes "Classics" official.

I'm not a hater of ANYthing He-Man, but I have NEVER been much of a NA fan and still haven't gotten around to watching the DVD's, but not only is Optikk amazing and has completely won me over, he really makes Classics official and finally fulfills what they said they would from the beginning. Now they've officially covered every era:

Original: most of the figures
    200X: King Grayskull/Zodak
    POP: Adora
    prototypes: He-Ro
    Unproduced characters: The Goddess
    Obscure: Wun-Dar
    Produced but still obscure: Tytus

I think it's pretty impressive that they have come through and made this line what every MOTU fan has always wanted, even if you don't love EVERY era or think EVERY bio is the new gospel, we finally have one united line for all of our beloved characters to be together in!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Sorry, but I believe you are wrong.

Until Mattel purchase the rights and start releasing FILMation characters they have certainly not "come through and made this line what every MOTU fan has always wanted..."

MOTUC will fall well short of expectations if FILMation characters are not produced. The FILMation toons (MOTU and POP) were so important a part of many fans love of MOTU. Leaving out FILMation characters would be like ending the line without a figure of the Sorceress or Prince Adam.

The promise of this line will never be realised until we see figures of Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Imp, Fang Man, Lizard Man, Uncle Montork, Shokoti, Kothos, Octavia, Batros, Strongarm etc.

Without FILMation there is a hole in the MOTUC mythos big enough to smash a planet through!

While it is cool we are finally seeing vintage prototypes incorporated into the toyline, and mini-comic faves like the Goddess, plus MYP toon characters, these do not make up for lack of FILMation MOTU/POP characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post

Until Mattel purchase the rights and start releasing FILMation characters they have certainly not "come through and made this line what every MOTU fan has always wanted..."

MOTUC will fall well short of expectations if FILMation characters are not produced. The FILMation toons (MOTU and POP) were so important a part of many fans love of MOTU. Leaving out FILMation characters would be like ending the line without a figure of the Sorceress or Prince Adam.

The promise of this line will never be realised until we see figures of Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Imp, Fang Man, Lizard Man, Uncle Montork, Shokoti, Kothos, Octavia, Batros, Strongarm etc.

Without FILMation there is a hole in the MOTUC mythos big enough to smash a planet through!

While it is cool we are finally seeing vintage prototypes incorporated into the toyline, and mini-comic faves like the Goddess, plus MYP toon characters, these do not make up for lack of FILMation MOTU/POP characters.
    I agree. I still think of Filmation whenever I think of He-man. There are just too many characters they created which are timeless and important to the MOTU mythos.
    Hopefully we'll also see the '87 movie get some representation in MOTUC.

However, at the end of the day, if neither of these things happen, I'm still very thankful for what we've been given.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I think Mern-Ra's point was that Mattel fulfilled what they said they were going to do from the beginning, that that is bring MOTU, POP, NA and 200X into a classics format.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    I think Mern-Ra's point was that Mattel fulfilled what they said they were going to do from the beginning, that that is bring MOTU, POP, NA and 200X into a classics format.
    Clearly Mern-Ra was celebrating the 4 Horsemen's success in turning Optikk from a NA figure into something that could be welcomed into MOTU. But he didn't stop there...

Originally posted by Mern-Ra:
    not only is Optikk amazing and has completely won me over, he really makes Classics official and finally fulfills what they said they would from the beginning. Now they've officially covered every era:
    Sorry, wrong. Mattel haven't 'officially covered' every era until FILMation characters and mythos is included in the line.

I think it's pretty impressive that they have come through and made this line what every MOTU fan has always wanted
    Sorry, wrong. Not 'every' MOTU fan has 'always wanted' a MOTU storyline that deliberately excludes our favorite FILMation characters.

we finally have one united line for all of our beloved characters to be together in!
    Sorry, wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. This is not yet one united line because beloved characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Imp, Kothos, Shokoti, Lady Valtira etc etc etc etc have not been included.

I don't mean to have a go at Mern-Ra, he's a good member and fan here at the .Org, but we cannot let Mattel get away with pretending MOTUC will be perfect without incorporating the FILMation characters.

Mattel still have the option of correcting this glaring error - and I fervently hope they announce FILMation rights soon.

Mattel has officially covered every era THEY PROMISED when the line started.

Mern-Ra is not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post

Mern-Ra is not wrong.
    With respect, that's not what Mern-Ra's entire post said.

And as Skeletortilla has noted (putting the FILMation issue to one side), the cool movie figures have not been represented in MOTUC yet or mentioned in any bio-storyline.

Mern-Ra is not wrong.
    Agreed. As much as it pains me to say it, Mattel never promised Filmation.

And even if they do acquire (or secretly have acquired) the rights to Filmation, there will undoubtedly be no pleasing all of us.

Sure, we may get Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Evil Seed, toon-accurate Queen Marlena, Seahawk, Madame Razz, and maybe even a boatload of Twiggets.

But what if these characters mean there is no room for Gwildor, or Flogg, or The Star Sisters? And they will certainly not be able to make ALL of the Filmation characters.

Do I hope they get the Filmation rights? Absolutely.

The fact is, though, the larger the library of characters they CAN choose from, the bigger the chances of someone's favorite NOT making the cut. And when that happens, there will undoubtedly be a feeling that Mattel has not fulfilled its promise.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Mern-Ra is not wrong.
    QFT, Viva La He-Man!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think Mern-Ra is right--as far as the toys go.

But like 200X, when a whole cartoon is available, when does it stop? The third villager on the left?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Hmmm ... I think the mods should change the title of this thread to "Mission Accomplished"

It has that kinda feel to it

I think it's probably going to take the live-action movie going into production for Mattel to start tapping the Filmation library of characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I think it's probably going to take the live-action movie going into production for Mattel to start tapping the Filmation library of characters.
    Most likely. I think it's out of the hands (and budget) of MOTUC's small team right now. Only a movie year would have the general Mattel Corporate financial backing needed to purchase the Filmation rights needed to capitalize on MOTU's childhood nostalgia factor. Mattel can start selling Filmation MOTU DVDs and the MOTUC team can incorporate characters in Classics.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Mern-Ra is not wrong.
    Yes, this is what I meant. Thank you to those of you who understood that.

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    well toyguru did say that in a movie year they would bring the characters to retail maybe that would give enough extra cash to completley buy the rights to all continuities
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

With respect, that's not what Mern-Ra's entire post said.

And as Skeletortilla has noted (putting the FILMation issue to one side), the cool movie figures have not been represented in MOTUC yet or mentioned in any bio-storyline.
    But the movie figures were part of the original MotU from the 80s…which has plenty of representation. The movie figures weren't something separate.

Mern-Ra's right.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Hmmm ... I think the mods should change the title of this thread to "Mission Accomplished"

It has that kinda feel to it
    Ok, Swanmarsh, I was trying to overlook your posts but then you compared this Bush, and I just couldn't let that one pass.

The funny thing is that I'm one of the biggest Filmation fans there is. I also still believe we have never gotten THE OFFICIAL He-Man since we still haven't gotten a Filmation version, and he is my most wanted character. And when people start threads about most wanted characters I always post that Filmation He-Man is my most wanted.

In fact, I'm SUCH a big Filmation fan that while I do want a Filmation head for the Classics He-Man, while I do want a Classics Shadow Weaver, while I do want them to incorporate Filmation elements into the bios, I think there should be a whole separate Filmation line of figures. The look is absolutely distinct enough to warrant that.

And while I am having a custom movie He-Man commissioned as we speak, the disappointment felt if we don't get any of the movie figures in this line will be minimal.

And this line DOES NOT deliberately exclude Filmation characters--saying that is a bit extremist. Sure, there are a FEW, most of whom are minor characters, that cannot be done in this line, but Teela and Man-At-Arms and A LOT of characters in this line are iconic Filmation characters, even if they don't look exactly how they did in the toon (another reason I want Filmation to have its own line), but some are pretty darn close.

Again, like someone else said, as much as it sucks, Mattel never promised Filmation. But seriously, they could announce a Filmation He-Man as the next figure an also announce that it was the LAST figure and I'd be perfectly happy since he's the figure I want more than anyone.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; May 20, 2010 at 03:00pm.

Heroic Podcaster
    The old cartoon was just a commercial to sell the real MOTU products - toys. So why do we want all those characters from commercials?

Just kidding. I'd love some FIlmation goodness added in here - especially Strongarm.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! - BLAST ATTAK! - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - Flying Fists He-Man
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MULTI-BOT! - NINJOR! - Peekablue
    Perfuma - Rotar - Saurod - SSSQUEEZE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Twistoid

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I like Filmation as much as the next guy, but some of you guys act like it is the end all be all of the MOTU universe. As good as some episodes were and as many fond memories I have of the show, I don't exactly need every single character from that cartoon. Let's face facts, some of that show is not good.

Mattel has offically released a figure from every MOTU toyline. Where you agree or not that's a matter of opinion. There's still people who believe the world is flat. Name a MOTU toyline and we have a figure from it now.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

sounds like Swanmarsh needs a dose of his meds

chill dude..

i totally want filmation characters.. NOW!

but i also understand what mern-ra is saying and very true.

we have gotten some great figures so far, but i passed on Optikk bud.. borrrrring

not for me.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I agree with Mem-Ra. It's truly awesome that they promised AND delivered characters from every era. Although, as a BIG POP fan I would love to see more She-Ra and Horde charcaters rather than 200X or unproduced figures, I really love ALL of them. This is a really awesome line and even more awesome is that all out favourite heores, being them modern, NA or POP are all in one line and one style.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    "Why so serious?"

Dude, to say Mern-Ra is wrong is just plain obnoxious. You're (Swanmarsh) entitled to your opinion, and he is entitled to his.

And to be honest, I think I'd have to agree with Mern-Ra's opinion

Filmation characters isn't really a different category from the original line since it was a commercial for the original toys.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I'm not a hater of ANYthing He-Man, but I have NEVER been much of a NA fan and still haven't gotten around to watching the DVD's, but not only is Optikk amazing and has completely won me over, he really makes Classics official and finally fulfills what they said they would from the beginning. Now they've officially covered every era:

Original: most of the figures
    200X: King Grayskull/Zodak
    POP: Adora
    prototypes: He-Ro
    Unproduced characters: The Goddess
    Obscure: Wun-Dar
    Produced but still obscure: Tytus

I think it's pretty impressive that they have come through and made this line what every MOTU fan has always wanted, even if you don't love EVERY era or think EVERY bio is the new gospel, we finally have one united line for all of our beloved characters to be together in!
    I have to say I wasn't all that excited about Optikk but now that he's standing here on my desk stairing me down I have to admit that I like the figure.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

I agree. While the lack of Filmation is both unfortunate and perplexing (that a huge company like Mattel would let any part of one of their biggest IPs be owned by someone else is utterly bizarre), with the advent of Optikk MOTUC feels like a truly all-encompassing toyline, spanning the entire history of MOTU.

And I do think characters like Adora, Orko and Prince Adam offer a Filmation flavor to the line. Some or all of those characters may have originated at Mattel, but Filmation is where we remember them from best.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    As I've postualted before, I think they're going to need the Filmation rights already in hand to have a movie happen. With the problems studios saw with Spider-Man and Watchmen, they're going to be very leery of jumping onboard with some entertainment rights floating around outside Mattel's control.

As for the line, it, almost by definiton, will never be complete, not with the vast mythos available. But I can say I think Mattel has done well in giving this line variety, and keeping things fresh with never made characters, NA and 20 year old mysteries with a loaf of bread. The decisions on that end of the line have been sound.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman