Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.158!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.158!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 158 questions!

1. abandon: Will we receive the New Adventures Thunder Punch He-Man vest as a pack-in to complete him in Classics?

We can't tell you that. It's a secret. But more than likely it could happen.

2. bamf1980: Prior management only presented us with new figures and new comic characters based on MOTU. Is new management interested in creating new characters based on the NA and POP sides of the franchise?

That's a tough question, and honestly there probably would not be any new content that is created specifically for those sides of the franchise. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be new story line that might dip a toe in those universes and introduce new characters, if it made sense for the story.

3. Rhanen: Will Filmation He-Man & Skeletor from Classics 2.0 be evergreen figures? It would be a good starting point for some people that have missed their original Classics releases back in 2008/2009.

We are hoping that those figures will be around for more audiences to start their collection with. If the line is successful enough we could definitely see those figures continue to being offered as we update and improve the line.

4. Scorpia: With characters becoming more and more obscure with each year, has Mattel rethought a pre-order system for individual figures as opposed to the annual subscription model?

That is a great idea and definitely something to discuss with our internal teams. We understand its been getting very deep into the well of known characters, and we are always looking for better ways to make sure we are offering the right product for the right amount of people.

5. bigsexy_j: The long time before revealing the price for Point Dread and the Talon Fighter playset, not revealing the Teela 2.0 that came with the Point Dread playset, Serpentine Hssss missing from the January sales, and the shuffling of the ThunderCats sub from six to four figures, are all things that have come under fire for being what fans feel are a lack of transparency. So what exactly did the Matty team mean when they stated "transparency" would be the on-going policy?

In total transparency: After the last presentation at SDCC there were A LOT of changes at Mattel outside of just the Matty team and MOTU brand. Different people have come and gone, and the team has changed multiple times, leaving the few that are still on the team with the challenge of carrying all aspects of the brand which means marketing AND production, as well as keeping up with the community. In this shake up a lot of things fell through the cracks, especially the stuff you brought up, and we are doing our best to make those things right, and to make sure they don't happen again. It takes an entire team of people to make sure all aspects of the this brand run smoothly. That includes product, packaging, engineering, and marketing, and if one of those pieces is out of sync than it really clogs up the rest of the process. You have to understand that MOTU is not the only brand that the people on our team work on, and a lot of times we have higher priorities with other more mass market brands that we work on, and that take more of our time.

We work on this brand because we LOVE IT and we are passionate about it, and try our hardest to make sure we keep you all happy, but also keep the brand going. We wish that we could spend 100% of our time dedicated to making amazing product for MOTU and be super engaged with you guys all at the same time. But during that prior period of time, we just didn't have the resources to do everything. With that said we are very excited with the current team that has come on board, which you guys will meet at NYTF, and hope that moving forward we will make good on our promise of transparency. At the end of the day we are just trying to make cool toys.

To answer your examples specifically.
    1.) No clue why that took so long. That was in marketing's hands and we're sure with all of the team changes it got overlooked.
    2.) The King Hssss issue fell victim to the same issue. Our marketing team had plans in place but with the persons in charge leaving, it fell off the radar during the holidays. This issue will be resolved and the product will make it out there.
    3.) Thundercats was reduced from 4 to 6 for two reasons: By the time the new marketing team was put in place, our production schedule had been pushed pack. So instead of overloading you, the subscribers, with more figures to buy in a single month, we decided to reduce the number offered for the first year. Also, this is a new line so we wanted to make sure the support was there from the fans before we offer a more robust line. 2017 will be a full-size line as long as 2016 sells the way we are hoping.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 160!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 158 questions!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hoping Power-Con returns in 2017!

These sound like perfectly competent answers. Now will the person who answered them be around in 6 months?

When the last team said they delayed Serpentine king hiss for multiple production issues, including the embossed China logo stamp on the middle of his chest, it appears this information did not get to the new team, because all shots of the packaged Hsss at NYTF still show the China stamp.

Maybe instead of Transparency, we should just be striving for consistency.

Full size...as in 12 figures?! Would be nice to guarantee the whole team.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I really hope that's what they meant, and not just 6 figures like they were attempting this year. It sounds like they could have produced Jaga and Grune this year, but they didn't want more than one figure out per month. I'd be surprised if those got pushed all the way out to July/August of next year.

As much as I want to see the core teams, I hope they expand into never before produced characters, escpecially the Lunataks.
    Last edited by Super He-Man; February 18, 2016 at 12:12am.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Full-size as in the full 6 figures, plus sub exclusive, etc. That's my guess anyway.
    BUT, we can all dream for monthly TCats releases, right?

Heroic Warrior
    Id rather they increased the filmation line to twelve. I want to wrap up the line in a year or two rather than years on end

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

I definitely hope Collectors Choice and Thundercats go to full years for next year. The Filmation line I only want a few more characters after this year I don't need every character that was on the cartoons that we already have redone.
    Most Wanted Kittrina, Granita, Hawke, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Dylamug, Master Sebrian, Karg, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi,Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, Red Beast, Kay-La, Red Shadow, Gladiator, Bandwidth, and Negator.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Question number 4 leaves me quite perplex though
    being legitimate...i mean, why would they consider to produce
    more obscur characters on their own
    by using some exclusive preorder system
    when the current Collector's Choice is there to settle the matter?
    Well, i think that simply expanding the mentioned sub is the way to go...
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; February 18, 2016 at 02:27am.

Heroic Warrior
    Good answers, and upfront and honest. Frankly it seems that since Scott left MOTU is an after thought getting passed around and its no wonder so many things fall through. You have to have some consistency. It's akin to a high turn over rate at a workplace and how that kills productivity. It takes so much time just to get up to speed. I did like the new brand manager's attitude at toy fair so here's hoping things run smoother.

Saddened, but not surprised, by the response to my question.

Potentially good news regarding NA Thunder Punch He-Man.

Becoming more and more concerned that MOTUC will be cannibalized by Tcats, in both resources and sales.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Full-size as in the full 6 figures, plus sub exclusive, etc. That's my guess anyway.
    I agree with Val on this. They went from a full six figures to just four so full size to me would mean the full six figures plus the exclusive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Id rather they increased the filmation line to twelve. I want to wrap up the line in a year or two rather than years on end
    Well that might work for you personally, but most of us like the smaller downsized subs because it made things more affordable for everyone. Don't forget there are three lines mattel is offering now that will be continuing in 2017 Collectors choice, Club Grayskul, and Thundercats. If each of these went to 12 figures no one could afford them.
    Looking forward to the rest of 2016 with Collectors Choice, Club Grayskull & Thundercats.........Excited for 2017 with Brian Flynn of Super7 & Four Horsemen taking over the MOTUC's, Club Grayskull and Hopefully Thundercats collectors lines

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Becoming more and more concerned that MOTUC will be cannibalized by Tcats, in both resources and sales.
    I actually think that Mattel is planning it as a transition. Even though that there many pending figures to be released, IMHO, most of them are quite obscure characters. Matty is having some special discounts and putting remaining stock on MOTUC figures that seem to have evergreen availability. They may consider that target audience is similar if not the same, so a new TC line may have the boost o the novelty.
    However, I think the line may go on for couple of years with the balance of 6 to 12 figures sub per year plus a vehicle at the end of the year. If the movie is released, there may be some special figures or even a sub for movie figures.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    I definitely hope Collectors Choice and Thundercats go to full years for next year. The Filmation line I only want a few more characters after this year I don't need every character that was on the cartoons that we already have redone.
    My wallet...explodes at the thought.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

With all due respect, I hope you're dead wrong and aren't giving us an "insiderly" clue as to what their plan is. Only six figures a year would mean it would take them way too long to deliver the core characters. And since their original plan was six figures in six months for 2016, I would think a "full" sub would mean 12 in 12 for 2017, which has always been the definition of a "full" sub until Club Grayskull/Collector's Choice which, when combined, still constitute a 12-in-12 for MOTUC fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I agree with Val on this. They went from a full six figures to just four so full size to me would mean the full six figures plus the exclusive
    Again, though, they went from six figures in six months to four figures in four months. That's still monthly. Logic would dictate that a "full" sub would be 12 figures in 12 months.

Or maybe they could be planning to do two six month subs next year, Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec. Who knows. But only six figures over the course of a year is way too slow, especially at the start.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    I could actually see the FILMation sub going to 12 figures next year. There seems to be some real excitement there, plus the opportunity to once again put out A-list characters. Collector's Choice is very much XYZ-list characters at this point. It's hard to imagine a 12 month sub of such characters getting a lot of support. A six-month sub is easier to swallow.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    What exactly does the marketing team do for MOTUC? I honestly don't mean that to sound snarky or imply that it's trivial; I'm just genuinely curious because they were mentioned several times specifically. As an admittedly ignorant layman, MOTUC doesn't really have anything that I think of when I think of "marketing".

I'm down for 6 per sub with a few extras and surprises sprinkled throughout the year. There are so many amazing figures out there right now, it's getting overwhelming. It's truly the golden age of toys!
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    With all due respect, I hope you're dead wrong and aren't giving us an "insiderly" clue as to what their plan is.
    I'd be happy to be wrong, trust me!

But the feedback on the bi-monthly model has been really good. It's easier on the wallet, which may insure more subscribers over-all. And it would give the TCats line a healthy number of years of life.

TCats had something like, what.. 40 different character toys? (not including creature playsets, vehicles, etc). I realize some of the prototypes would increase that number. And I don't remember all the characters in media that didn't have toys.

But if they did 6 characters in a sub, plus a sub exclusive, plus a chase, plus a SDCC exclusive, that's 9 right there in a year. And one of the semi-annual slots used on a larger character would bump it up to 10. With subs like that in 2017, 2018 and 2019, in just four years you'd have almost all the vintage toy character releases without it being too stressful financially.

With MOTUC going on it's 8th year (excluding 2008), I think 5 to 6 years of TCats with that smaller annual sub model sounds very doable. It's not too much too fast, it's more inviting for a customer who would have a smaller financial commitment each year, and it gives the brand a lot of life and presence which is good for TCats in general, keeping it in the public's eye which may help seed things like new media.

I may be looking too deep into the answer to the He-Man Evergreen question but to me it sounds like they will put him and Skeletor up as Evergreen items but after they've been "updated and improved." Maybe a He-Man 2.0.1 with fixed ankles?

Heroic Warrior
    It's good to see we're back to some thoughtful and clear answers. That's appreciated. I think they have some fairly ambitious hopes for the Filmation line and will be putting more effort into that one. I'd like them to expand the divergence between Filmation and Classics because they are different enough to have different directions.

Some honesty about the reshuffling is good to read. If they keep up Transparency 2 it will restore some trust.

Not sure why everyone's talking about Thundercats in a Masters of the Universe forum though. Can we please stay on topic?
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    2. bamf1980: Prior management only presented us with new figures and new comic characters based on MOTU. Is new management interested in creating new characters based on the NA and POP sides of the franchise?

That's a tough question, and honestly there probably would not be any new content that is created specifically for those sides of the franchise. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be new story line that might dip a toe in those universes and introduce new characters, if it made sense for the story.
    No new rebels? I could understand New Adventures not being popular enough to keep exploring, but I guess POP was a struggle as well because of the fans who thought it was too girly. I guess Mattel wants NA and POP done, so they won't have to look back.

I wonder if Mattel would be interested in "Barbarian-ing up" the POP cast so they could better fit in with MOTU? Give the ladies the Teela bracers and furry boots. Add more embellishments to their costumes and give them real weapons, like swords, axes, maces, spears, warhammers, ect.

3. Rhanen: Will Filmation He-Man & Skeletor from Classics 2.0 be evergreen figures? It would be a good starting point for some people that have missed their original Classics releases back in 2008/2009.

We are hoping that those figures will be around for more audiences to start their collection with. If the line is successful enough we could definitely see those figures continue to being offered as we update and improve the line.
    That would be a great opportunity to fix He-Man and Skeletor's issues. He-Man is a constant seller, even with re-issues. I hope they fix the ankle gap if they plan on re-releasing him. Perhaps they could give He-Man an alternate Filmation Faker head instead of the Sword stand. Skeletor could also get a better Havoc Staff and have the inside of his hood painted black.

5. bigsexy_j: The long time before revealing the price for Point Dread and the Talon Fighter playset, not revealing the Teela 2.0 that came with the Point Dread playset, Serpentine Hssss missing from the January sales, and the shuffling of the ThunderCats sub from six to four figures, are all things that have come under fire for being what fans feel are a lack of transparency. So what exactly did the Matty team mean when they stated "transparency" would be the on-going policy?

In total transparency: After the last presentation at SDCC there were A LOT of changes at Mattel outside of just the Matty team and MOTU brand. Different people have come and gone, and the team has changed multiple times, leaving the few that are still on the team with the challenge of carrying all aspects of the brand which means marketing AND production, as well as keeping up with the community. In this shake up a lot of things fell through the cracks, especially the stuff you brought up, and we are doing our best to make those things right, and to make sure they don't happen again. It takes an entire team of people to make sure all aspects of the this brand run smoothly. That includes product, packaging, engineering, and marketing, and if one of those pieces is out of sync than it really clogs up the rest of the process. You have to understand that MOTU is not the only brand that the people on our team work on, and a lot of times we have higher priorities with other more mass market brands that we work on, and that take more of our time.

We work on this brand because we LOVE IT and we are passionate about it, and try our hardest to make sure we keep you all happy, but also keep the brand going. We wish that we could spend 100% of our time dedicated to making amazing product for MOTU and be super engaged with you guys all at the same time. But during that prior period of time, we just didn't have the resources to do everything. With that said we are very excited with the current team that has come on board, which you guys will meet at NYTF, and hope that moving forward we will make good on our promise of transparency. At the end of the day we are just trying to make cool toys.

To answer your examples specifically.
    1.) No clue why that took so long. That was in marketing's hands and we're sure with all of the team changes it got overlooked.
    2.) The King Hssss issue fell victim to the same issue. Our marketing team had plans in place but with the persons in charge leaving, it fell off the radar during the holidays. This issue will be resolved and the product will make it out there.
    3.) Thundercats was reduced from 4 to 6 for two reasons: By the time the new marketing team was put in place, our production schedule had been pushed pack. So instead of overloading you, the subscribers, with more figures to buy in a single month, we decided to reduce the number offered for the first year. Also, this is a new line so we wanted to make sure the support was there from the fans before we offer a more robust line. 2017 will be a full-size line as long as 2016 sells the way we are hoping.
    Damn, was that so hard? A simple post or write up on Matty, going further into what SLC told the fans back in October. Alot of the rage could have been diffused if people would have known this a long time ago. Fans thought the existing team was afraid of dealing with the fans.

Yeah, "full-size" really needs to be defined. It sounds like ThunderCats is going to get a 12 month sub to me.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 18, 2016 at 11:18am.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Honestly, I'm ok with TC being a 6 month (or every other month )sub to me. I'm even ok with Motuc being one sub shipped every other momth too (look how much stuff were still getting with convention exclusives,etc...) The reason I say this is, I am hoping that Mattel does pick up another line cough***Silverhawks***cough and offers a sub for that too (if we have all of these 12 months subs running around--my wallet will cry out for mercy )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    No new rebels? I could understand New Adventures not being popular enough to keep exploring, but I guess POP was a struggle as well because of the fans who thought it was too girly. I guess Mattel wants NA and POP done, so they won't have to look back.

I wonder if Mattel would be interested in "Barbarian-ing up" the POP cast so they could better fit in with MOTU? Give the ladies the Teela bracers and furry boots. Add more embellishments to their costumes and give them real weapons, like swords, axes, maces, spears, warhammers, ect.

That would be a great opportunity to fix He-Man and Skeletor's issues. He-Man is a constant seller, even with re-issues. I hope they fix the ankle gap if they plan on re-releasing him. Perhaps they could give He-Man an alternate Filmation Faker head instead of the Sword stand. Skeletor could also get a better Havoc Staff and have the inside of his hood painted black.

Damn, was that so hard? A simple post or write up on Matty, going further into what SLC told the fans back in October. Alot of the rage could have been diffused if people would have known this a long time ago. Fans thought the existing team was afraid of dealing with the fans.

Yeah, "full-size" really needs to be defined. It sounds like ThunderCats is going to get a 12 month sub to me.
    Hate to say this, but the way I read the Q+A, there may NOT have been anyone to post an update from the team on Matty

Sounds like a full 12 months of Thundercats in 2017, no new original POP or NA characters, NA Tpunch H-Man's shirt is coming, and the new team is going to try to do better than the last one. I, for one, will certainly give them a chance.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'd be happy to be wrong, trust me!

But the feedback on the bi-monthly model has been really good. It's easier on the wallet, which may insure more subscribers over-all. And it would give the TCats line a healthy number of years of life.

TCats had something like, what.. 40 different character toys? (not including creature playsets, vehicles, etc). I realize some of the prototypes would increase that number. And I don't remember all the characters in media that didn't have toys.

But if they did 6 characters in a sub, plus a sub exclusive, plus a chase, plus a SDCC exclusive, that's 9 right there in a year. And one of the semi-annual slots used on a larger character would bump it up to 10. With subs like that in 2017, 2018 and 2019, in just four years you'd have almost all the vintage toy character releases without it being too stressful financially.

With MOTUC going on it's 8th year (excluding 2008), I think 5 to 6 years of TCats with that smaller annual sub model sounds very doable. It's not too much too fast, it's more inviting for a customer who would have a smaller financial commitment each year, and it gives the brand a lot of life and presence which is good for TCats in general, keeping it in the public's eye which may help seed things like new media.
    I think 6 figures a year is too small for ThunderCats. Finishing up the main characters would take three years. I don't think the fans would have the patience to wait that long to finish out the main cast. I remember MOTUC fans going off on how long it took to get Ram Man and Man-E-Faces.

Year 2
    Tygra
    Cheetara
    Wilykit
    Wilykat
    Grune
    Jaga

Year 3
    Snarf
    Mumm-Ra
    Ssslythe
    Monkian
    Vultureman
    Ma-Mutt

Year 4
    Bengali
    Lnyx-O
    Hammerhand
    Cruncher
    Ram Bam
    Top Spinner

Year 5
    Luna and Amok (Exclusive)
    Chilla
    Tug mug
    Red Eye
    Alluro

Year Six
    Hachiman
    Mandora
    Willa
    Nadya
    Snowman and Snowmeow (Exclusive)

I'm not saying that these selections are right for a sub, but this is to give a general idea how long fans would have to wait if the TCats sub remained at six characters a year.

If anything, TCats would probably return to six figures a year after year three and Mattel might go into Silverhawks or Tigersharks.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think 6 figures a year is too small for ThunderCats. Finishing up the main characters would take three years. I don't think the fans would have the patience to wait that long to finish out the main cast. I remember MOTUC fans going off on how long it took to get Ram Man and Man-E-Faces.

Year 2
    Tygra
    Cheetara
    Wilykit
    Wilykat
    Grune
    Jaga

Year 3
    Snarf
    Mumm-Ra
    Ssslythe
    Monkian
    Vultureman
    Ma-Mutt

Year 4
    Bengali
    Lnyx-O
    Hammerhand
    Cruncher
    Ram Bam
    Top Spinner

Year 5
    Luna and Amok (Exclusive)
    Chilla
    Tug mug
    Red Eye
    Alluro

Year Six
    Hachiman
    Mandora
    Willa
    Nadya
    Snowman and Snowmeow (Exclusive)

I'm not saying that these selections are right for a sub, but this is to give a general idea how long fans would have to wait if the TCats sub remained at six characters a year.

If anything, TCats would probably return to six figures a year after year three and Mattel might go into Silverhawks or Tigersharks.
    Well, I don't think 6 was ever a possibility. There will be a sub exclusive and a least one convention exclusive at a minimum. I'd like to see the sub go to 12 (14), but no more than that.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    As for new original POP characters, it would be nice to get the Bubble Carriage Maiden!