Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else not really collecting the 200x characters in the line?

Hybrid View

Anyone else not really collecting the 200x characters in the line?

For some reason I think the 200x MOTUC characters are cool in their own right, but they just don't seem to fit in my collection or in my idea of what my collection should look like. I was born in 1985 and loved the vintage toys, cartoon, comic, and story line and then the new adventures came out when I was growing up and I liked most of those character and collected those figures as a kid. I never got into the 200x series or characters like Keldor, Count Marzo, Zodak, etc. Some of the back stories and sculpts are neat, but I am definately going to pass on EVERY 200x character. The only one I was on the fence about was King Grayskull and I really don't like the idea of him looking so much like He-Man even though he has a cool back story. I told myself the only way I would purchase him is if his re-issue comming out is hands down way better then the first release. A positive is at least having the 200x characters in the line makes it so I don't have to buy every figure every month. I am happy with my collection looking very VINTAGE with all the characters I remember growing up with.

I was born in 74 and I am obsessed with everything MOTU. I will buy absolutely anything they make.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Court Magician
    I was born in 1976 and I love all MOTU eras! To each their own though...

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I was born in 74 and I am obsessed with everything MOTU. I will buy absolutely anything they make.
    I totally agree. MOTUC is a celebration of all MOTU eras.

I was born in 1975 and.....um..what was the question again?
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Intersting I am one of the younger guys by about a decade liking MOTU.

I was born in 1971, so I got to ride along with many of the big lines that hit. I was in the age range through the 80s to remember all of it. By the time 1984 rolled along I was pretty well converting to being a collector more than a kid playing with toys. I did drop the line before it ended due to hitting that "I'm suppose to give up toys" age. I think the attempt to stop buying toys lasted maybe 6 months though.

When the anniversary stuff hit I was looking at it and watching this site. I wasn't interested in getting the vintage stuff. It was great in it's time but nothing I care for now. Once the 200x stuff hit though, I was all over it. Mattel is the only one that made me stop collecting it.

So yeah I'll want the 200x version more than the vintage when Mattel allows it. I like the head swaps since it gives vintage fans their look and also allows the 200x look the be created. My Merman has the other head on him as well as Whiplash will have the 200x head.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Since I was born in 85, and if you do the math by the time I was old enough to enjoy the figures/cartoon it was pretty much off the shelves of retail. My local video stores had a large collection of the filmation VHS tapes that I would rent on a regular bascis. My mom often took me to local thrift stores as a child and I pieced together a pretty impressive vintage collection growing up. I also collected a ton of the Golden Book and other various motu books, puzzles, and other items from the second hand stores as a kid. I was however able to purchase the new adventurs toys at retail and still have all my figures and the card backs which i loved to collect as a kid.

I'm getting everything. It's all MotU so it's all fantatstic.

Your point is valid! Every fan had their own personal interest in MOTU. For some, it's only the MOTU 80's BOY'S toyline, for some it's that and POP, for others it's NA only, and most are welcoming to the 200X stuff.

I was born in '75, and my interest with the action figures is based totally on the stories and characters they represent. I want ALL characters from all eras. So, I'm mostly a very happy camper with this line!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Born in 1973, myself (in the interest of keeping that going in the thread...).

Honestly, the 200x designs are often my favorites, so I am very glad to see the never-done 200x characters in this line. Count Marzo is probably my most anticipated figure of the year.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

I was born in 1978. So far I've only been buying the Classics figures that had a toy in the old MOTU line. But if they ever got the rights to Filmation characters I would buy them too.
    "The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real."
    -Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I will NEVER buy a subscription!

Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    Ditto to everything you said!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I know this is getting redundant, but I love all MOTU eras as well. I am REALLY PUMPED that we are getting some great 200X characters in this line!!! Count Marzo looks to be one of my favorites from the line so far. Bring more 200X on!!!!!!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Yup, there are fans who skip the 200X characters.

But I'm not one of them.

I was born in '75 and although I was collecting MOTU from the beginning in '82 (I love Pre-Filmation; it's my second favorite era next to 200X), I thought 200X took the MOTU that I knew and loved as a kid and made it even better by leaps and bounds for me as an adult. I'm all about improvement and I'm not as held by my childhood feelings as some of the other fans. If a better modern idea for an old nostalgic character presented itself, then I'm all for change, by all means make an old concept even better today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I've always wondered what the average age of the orgers is, someone ought to start a thread about it.
    I gonna assume that most MOTU fans are in their 30's, although 200X and Classics did bring in new generations of fans.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 26, 2010 at 09:07am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm a stoked for 200X characters and versions of characters as I am for Vintage greats such as the Rock People, Modulok, and Spikor!

I am so glad to have some of the awesome 200X details on figures (such as Webstor's extra legs. I'm hoping we see the trend continue with the additions of Sy-Klone's rings, Buzz-Off's extra arms, Stinkor's tanks, and Fisto's tiara .

I love Zodak and Count Marzo looks amazing, and I can't wait for the likes of Prahvus, Carnivous, Evilseed, Callix, Ceratus, Dactys, The Oracle, Battle Lion, Tuvar, Baddrah, Sor-Tek, The Faceless One, Skeletor's Bone Warriors, Odiphous, Dekker, Clawful's cousin and his pals, the three giants, and The Siren.

I'm also really hoping we get these versions of major characters:

-Jungle Attack He-Man
    -Ice Armor He-Man
    -Snake Armor He-Man
    -Fire (and Ice) Armor Skeletor
    -Snake Armor MAA
    -Snakemen MA
    -Snakemen Teela
    -Snakemen Mekaneck
    -200X Sorceress
    -200X/Young Prince Adam
    -200X/Young Evil Lyn

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting, too....

Bring it on!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Nintendo owns my life.
    Born in 1990 and love all era's of MOTU, despite not having any real contact with the series until 2002, well except for random yard sale figures (Slush-Heads so many Slush-Heads).

I'm looking forward to any and all MOTUC figures now that I have some extra money to kick around, trust me I was very bitter when I couldn't afford these figures. As 2002 is my favorite series I'd prefer characters to be based on those designs even though I know that won't happen ,heck I think the original Sorceress is goofy looking but I'll still buy her because I'm still very fond of the originals as well. Well maybe not the figure design of King Randor. But still my new Mer-Man has his alternate head on and so will Whiplash if I manage to get him.

Getting 200X characters is a huge part of this line's appeal for me! I am so glad they're coming, and if you don't want them, GREAT, more Keldors and Marzos for me! Can't wait for the pure 200X guys like Carnivous and Faceless One though. Lord Dactys and Praavus will be sweet too.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I was born in '84 and had MOTU handed down to me. The hope of getting 200x characters and designs is pretty much the sole reason I'm collecting this line. Yeah I like most of the vintage designs too, but I've been there and done that. It's characters like Marzo, Keldor, and Faceless One (as well as mini comics characters, unmade prototype characters, etc.) that get me truly excited for this line. If this line was nothing but the vintage line with better sculpting and articulation I would no doubt pass.

I personally didn't dislike the 200x cartoon/figures,infact I quite liked them for what they were and all but I'm glad this line isn't about those styles and characters so much. I want this line to get all the cool original characters out and some that we never got the first time round.

I was born in 1980 and grew up with the 2 Filmation series and vintage toys and to be honest thats what I prefer.

That said I don't mind there being the odd 200x inspired addition to the line for those that want them,for example the extra heads or weapons etc that have been included, but as for full actual versions of characters from 200x, I'm probably not going to collect those figures. Same with NA.

To me 'Classics' means Classic/vintage style not the newer only a few years old style of 200x.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPjas View Post
    To me 'Classics' means Classic/vintage style not the newer only a few years old style of 200x.
    By 2012, 200X won't be "recent" anymore and it will be a decade old.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ByThePowerOf... View Post
    I am happy with my collection looking very VINTAGE with all the characters I remember growing up with.
    i liked the 200X toon and toys but i'm with you. i'm only collecting vintage characters in the motuc line.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I don't understand why people would choose to collect MOTUC but not buy the 200x characters? It's like a fan who prefers 200x saying he/she wouldn't buy a Garn figure or a Darkdream or a Procrustus or a Granamyr just because they were not written into the MYP toon. Strange.
    that analogy makes perfect sense to me, actually. if someone had a strong preference for the 200X series, then it wouldn’t seem confusing at all if they chose not to collect characters who only appeared in the 80s toon.
    Last edited by eternia23; May 26, 2010 at 11:32am.

All for it. Bring on 200X characters.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Age has nothing to do with liking new series or not.
    I was born in the late '70's and I like the MOTU 200X series a lot!
    I find the new animation a lot more mature in story which is part of our culture since the 90's. Another animation that I like better than the original is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but that's an unfair comparison since it's in a way an older story since the new show is based on the original comics from 1984.

I gave up on collecting the vintage MOTU line and the 200X line and sold them all for the new MOTUC line. I had to save space and prefer the updated look & articulation of the MOTUC line. I'm really glad we also get 200X exclusive characters in MOTUC, and I'm happy with the characters we got so far; King Grayskull, Zodak, Kronis, Keldor, Count Marzo, and another new unannounced 200X in 2010 which could be Chief Carnivus. I like all of the incarnations and properties of MOTU and welcome them all!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    I don't understand why people would choose to collect MOTUC but not buy the 200x characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by eternia23 View Post
    that analogy makes perfect sense to me, actually. if someone had a strong preference for the 200X series, then it wouldn’t seem confusing at all if they chose not to collect characters who only appeared in the 80s toon.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well the other way around.

Unlike only collecting all the vintage MOTU, POP or NA characters, you wouldn't have much of a collection with only Grayskull, Zodak, Marzo and Keldor. The only way collecting only 200X would have worked is if the line were inspired by 200X, instead of the vintage line OR if we got 200X versions of all of the characters, instead of the most radically changed.