Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 002 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 002 Discussion!

Episode 002 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Emiliano Santalucia, "Pixel Dan" Eardley, and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

This week they discuss the MOTUC action-figure sell-outs on MattyCollector. The group weighs and debates both the pros and cons while discussing possible solutions.

Then they pick back up with the discussion of the MOTUC bios, this week focusing on Beast Man and Skeletor.

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Direct link for Episode 001

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    YES!!! I was definitely hungry for another serving.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    hey guys how about trimming it down to 60 minutes ?

The show will always be around 1 to 2 hours long.
    Sometimes more, sometimes less.

For anyone who likes the show doesn't have a big block of time to devote to the show straight through, my recommendation is just to listen to it in pieces.

That's what I do with a lot of podcasts. I listen to them in pieces throughout the week.
    Good for in the car, when you're working out, etc.

-that pre-order idea won't happen because of the cost DR would charge, and the fact that the minute-sell-out-mania helps to keep the momentum going.

Mattel knows EXACTLY why it won't do pre-orders, and it's all about money, which makes sense. Ah well.

I am also afraid of the bubble bursting. I do not believe that there are so few 10+ orders. I just don't buy it. If there are few orders like that, then Mattel is arranging large bulk orders with online retailers and comic shops/toy shops re-sellers before the sale. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.

Eamonn, PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH!!!

I loved listening to Emiliano's Soap Dish bit!! I'd buy it.

Yeah, Dan, you speak that "Raquel!"

Eamonn, that was a great idea about Beast Man's face paint. I like that. It's now part of my MOTU world too As for the races, etc., I think of Beast Man as part of the Berserker Island beast people, but he has that power to control animals and that makes him unique.

I was afraid when you all started talking about the bios - I didn't want to be called out for my tirade on "Evelyn" (EYE ROLL)

Regarding Keldor's being an alchemist, here is some stuff from wikipedia:

"Alchemy is the science of understanding, deconstructing, and reconstructing matter, although it is often seen only as the pursuit of turning common metals into gold."

"Certain Hermetic schools argue that the transmutation of lead into gold is analogical for the transmutation of the physical body (Saturn or lead) into (Gold) with the goal of attaining immortality."

"In 1403, Henry IV of England banned the practice of Alchemy. In the late 14th century, Piers the Ploughman and Chaucer both painted unflattering pictures of Alchemists as thieves and liars."

"Several early alchemists, such as Zosimos of Panopolis, are recorded as viewing alchemy as a spiritual discipline, and, in the Middle Ages, metaphysical aspects, substances, physical states, and molecular material processes as mere metaphors for spiritual entities, spiritual states, and, ultimately, transformations."

The thing is, Alchemy, used in a bio for a toy line, is almost universally going to be seen as a term meaning gold-maker!
    Last edited by bcrduke; May 26, 2010 at 04:08am.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Downloading now off Itunes!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior
    I cant believe how far this site has come, podcast & all. I use to get on the .org since 1997. I joined back then but never used it much, but now I am addicted & I even listen to this!! I just wanna say good job guys, good info & relative talk of whats going on.

Listening to it right now, Thanks!

2 for 2!!

Another great episode guys, I can't wait for Lou's interview!!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    hey guys how about trimming it down to 60 minutes ?
    How about it's fine like it is?

You have a week...that's plenty of time to listen...

Val, Emiliano, THANK YOU for giving me something fun to listen to during that hellish daily cardio!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Downloading now off Itunes!
    We should all download it off iTunes to make it a Top Podcast.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Listening to it now and I have to say, I'm squealing over the shout outs! Thanks so much guys!

So far, another great episode! I also love the length, 60-90 minutes is so fulfilling! Yummy, can't wait for more!

Thanks again!

Great 2nd show guys. It felt more relaxed (not that the first one was tense or anything), and you all seemed to settle in a little more, as well as I settled in a little more to the listening format.

Good discussions and interesting to listen to. Everyone brings something to the dinner table.

Great observations by Emiliano on real names and Beast Man being unique. I couldn't agree more with his points.

I love Val's voice too. Your accent rocks.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    So in listening to the podcast, I guess I'm probably going to be in the minority in that I'm cool with the the introduction of Demo-Man. I think part of the problem is that we no nothing of Demo-Man to date. Why would Hordak choose him, and for what purpose? In my mind, it's a strong possibilty that Hordak thought he could control whatever it is that Demo-Man was by integrating him with Keldor. A plan that we see in the long run ends up backfiring.

I don't necessarily see Skeletor as diminished by the addition of Demo-Man. Maybe Keldor is still in the "drivers seat" as it were, merely receiving a signifigant power boost with his merging with Demo-Man. Maybe it's not Demo-Man's influence, but the power he receives as part of the merge that makes him more twisted and evil.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to learning more about Demo-Man. He was involved in Despondos, so perhaps more will be learned about him as we get more of She-Ra's supporting character bios.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    So in listening to the podcast, I guess I'm probably going to be in the minority in that I'm cool with the the introduction of Demo-Man.
    Yeah, I'm of the same camp - it's not a big deal to me at all. I look at Demo-Man being merged into skeletor as more responsible for Skeletor's physical change, not any of his power or "evil". Keldor went from being a Gar (looks just like a human but blue) to having clawed feet, finned arms and red eyes which I attribute to the fusion of Demo-Man. Those being physical attributes of demons. What we know and love about Skeletor, the evil, the power, the vengeance, the magic, the ruthlessness - I attribute that all to the now more experienced, very angry and evil Keldor alone. At that point he chose to stop being called Keldor and decided to go with the name Skeletor.

Call in with your opinion on Demo-Man!
    We make no claims to being the only opinions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    I love Val's voice too. Your accent rocks.
    Okay, now you have me curious.
    What is my accent? I want to hear how someone from England identifies it.
    Please compare it against Dan's so I know, since we're both from the US.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    The volume is kind of low on the podcasts as compared to other sound media I have on my computer. I turn up the volume of my media player all the way up and my speakers to the halfway point to get a decent sound. Normally I have my media player at 20% and my speakers at 25% and that's good enough. Not a complaint merely an observation...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Oh, I agree. It's lower than I'd like as well.

It'll be one of those running adjustments as I attempt to master editing-on-the-fly.

My voice will sound a lot better next week as I now have a far better mic.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Demo-Man like many of the other details in the bios seem like forced homages to the past. They've gone through the archives to find out all of the info on the MOTU that they could and found all of these little snippits of info that were either never used or used only once. So they shoe-horn the data into the bio in an effort to include the true origins into the fictional ones. get it? The problem is, like with the Star Wars prequels, if you try to reinvent history after its been written and taught, understood, and accepted, you run the risk of diluting your story line. There was a reason that no one had ever heard of Demo-Man, it was dumb idea then as it is now. Let's not forget that He-Man was originally created with both brown and blonde hair, yet it says nothing in his bio about getting a bleach job. Or is Adam's bio going to say that he was once a barbarian from a tribe, but then was adopted by the king and made into a prince, etc etc.
    The point is, Mattel is obviously trying to force their research into the bios and then some how explain it all with really lame writing. (IMO)
    Mattel needs to look at both Star Wars (The prequel tragedy which ruined star wars forever) and the original Batman trilogy (Who's producers thought more was better). Stick to the simple bread and butter that made MOTU work and we'll all be better for it.

I feel, like others have said, that Demo-Man seems like a forced homage to a vintage era prototype that none of us knew anything about(can't be nostalgic for something you've never heard of). Having said that, I don't mind his/its addition to Skeletor's origin. I really wish Skeletor didn't have an origin and have never liked the idea of Keldor. Not only is Skeletor not as mysterious as he once was, he's now He-Man's uncle(I love a lot of their movies, but this sounds too "Disney" for MOTU). At least Demo-Man adds enough to Skeletor that his origin isn't just a ripoff of "The Phantom Of The Opera" or "Two-Face".
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Roast Gooble Dinner rocks whenever I run out of graphic design to do and have to work in the factory. I wish it were LONGER.

• Lou Schiemer???? Please ask him what does he think of MYP's take on MOTU--like how did he like it and what would he have done differently. I'm very curious about that.

• I agree on Emilliano's point about Beast Man: While I'm not opposed to the characters belonging to other races, only the MOTU characters should be exceptional. The whole Beast Man race controls animals? Beast Man is pretty replaceable then... I'd like it better if Beast Man somehow was the only one of his race who could do this.

• Poe Ghostal once said during Beast Man's review on his website that he thought Beast Man's white face was like a mandrill.

• I like the real names--sorta. Ram Man obviously wasn't named "Ram Man" out of the crib. Neither were Snout Spout, Clamp Champ, Buzz Off, etc. I wish the names that they did use were more Eternian sounding. If they were, I don't think they would be a problem. I thought Hordak, however, didn't need a real name...I thought his name was Hordak and that he named the Horde after himself.

• I think Hordak's real name, She-Ra's "lack of brute strength" and Demo-Man are the top most controversial bio subjects.

• Keldor as an alchemist...you're funny, Val. Transmuting stuff into gold is what I think of when I hear alchemy too.

• I think MOTUC isn't just the old characters presented again for collectors, but a whole new continuity that merges most of the canons. This usually is problematic for the fans of the old continuities. It's probably like how DC was like after Crisis of Infinite Earths (Superman can't move planets anymore?) In MOTUC, we even have Wun-Dar and Gygor. Zodak and Zodac co-exist...so do the Sorceress and Goddess. Even the packaging isn't the same. We've got classic looking characters, with a mixture of mini-comic and 200X canon, as well as brand new stuff.

• I don't like the idea of Demo-Man. I do think that the whole demonic thing makes Keldor not accountable for his actions. It almost seems so Star Warsian...I'm half expecting Adam and Anak--er, Keldor will be the ones to bring balance to the for--er, Eternia. Mattel wanted to make Keldor more of a "real-life villain", but I think they went too far in making him sympathetic.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 26, 2010 at 03:43pm.

Downloading it on my iPhone!!! Let's have some fun!!!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger12PR
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Another thought after listening to the podcast (Which are FANtastic BTW) is that use of Demo-Man as the source of Skeletor's evil and powers. Boooo! Not that I'm trying to plug an old fanfic but when I imagined it (then tried to spell it out in "Chaos in Eternia") Keldor was a bad egg to begin with. He had deep seeded emotional issues due to his racial differences with the other Eternians, his jealousy towards his brothers, then his adopted father, and then all those who werent like him. He wasn't a powerful sorcerer yet, but he was dedicating himself to finding power that he could use to depose his adopted family and rule Eternia. (Which is why he seeks the power of the Elders whether it be at Grayskull or elsewhere) Alchemy, though as you guys correctly stated had little to do with magic in its historical sense, is I think a way for him to begin tinkering with postions and conconctions to use against his enemies whilst he persues real power. Power that Hordak eventually gives him the KNOWLEDGE OF. Then, with this knowledge, he goes to Zelasia, claims the Havoc staff for his own, and thus begins the merging of the Staff to the Sorcerer. Or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Captjhan View Post
    Another thought after listening to the podcast (Which are FANtastic BTW) is that use of Demo-Man as the source of Skeletor's evil and powers. Boooo! Not that I'm trying to plug an old fanfic but when I imagined it (then tried to spell it out in "Chaos in Eternia") Keldor was a bad egg to begin with. He had deep seeded emotional issues due to his racial differences with the other Eternians, his jealousy towards his brothers, then his adopted father, and then all those who werent like him. He wasn't a powerful sorcerer yet, but he was dedicating himself to finding power that he could use to depose his adopted family and rule Eternia. (Which is why he seeks the power of the Elders whether it be at Grayskull or elsewhere) Alchemy, though as you guys correctly stated had little to do with magic in its historical sense, is I think a way for him to begin tinkering with postions and conconctions to use against his enemies whilst he persues real power. Power that Hordak eventually gives him the KNOWLEDGE OF. Then, with this knowledge, he goes to Zelasia, claims the Havoc staff for his own, and thus begins the merging of the Staff to the Sorcerer. Or maybe not.

Did you ever finish "Chaos in Eternia"?