Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 002 Discussion!

I am normally not a fan of long podcasts that drag on, but I really enjoyed this podcast. It was interesting enough that I didn't feel like I wanted to constantly see how long I had been listening. Great job guys!!!
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by dagodfather View Post
    Did you ever finish "Chaos in Eternia"?
    I did, but before I could post it, my computer crashed. Sad beyond reasoning.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    hey guys how about trimming it down to 60 minutes ?
    No. I want it longer! The only bad thing from this episode was that it was to short

Heroic Warrior
    Would like to chime in on the Alchemy bit. Real world definitions of alchemy are like anything else from the middle ages replete with multiple meanings. The word can be used to describe areas of study that range from turning base metals into precious metals, seeking eternal life (the philosophers stone), to hunting for the divine in ones self. The main theme if there is one that ties all the usages together is the mystical transformation of something common to something special or magical. While one of these usages lead to the modern concept of chemistry and indeed does share a common linguistic root, the term itself did have quite a lot of mysticism tied to it. Another thing to consider is that in current genera fandom such as current fantasy novels and many RPG games, alchemy is used as the term for an ordered study of magical effects and principals. I just wanted to give a little background why they probably felt it was quite appropriate for the character to use the term in the bio.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Okay, now you have me curious.
    What is my accent? I want to hear how someone from England identifies it.
    Please compare it against Dan's so I know, since we're both from the US.
    IMO, you have the same kind of accent as Alex Winter (Bill) from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. I mean that in a good way, no offence intended!

I agree about Demo-Man. I was surprised that noone in the podcast really picked up on just how silly sounding a name it is, I mean even by MOTU standards it's really bad. There are plenty of admittedly goofy names like Ram Man and Stinkor, but Demo-Man just doesn't have the charm or instantly memorable quality the other MOTU characters names have.

And I know it's meant to read like Demon Man, but my first impression of it was Demo Tape Man.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    IMO, you have the same kind of accent as Alex Winter (Bill) from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. I mean that in a good way, no offence intended!

I agree about Demo-Man. I was surprised that noone in the podcast really picked up on just how silly sounding a name it is, I mean even by MOTU standards it's really bad. There are plenty of admittedly goofy names like Ram Man and Stinkor, but Demo-Man just doesn't have the charm or instantly memorable quality the other MOTU characters names have.
    If Ram Man was introduced today, I'd think we would have no shortage of sexual jokes. Likewise with Buzz-Off and Clamp Champ. I think those character names aren't really that good, everybody is simply used to them after being exposed to them for 30 years.

But I think that Demo-Man does sound terrible though. Now if it were Demon-Man or Demos, it could work.

And I know it's meant to read like Demon Man, but my first impression of it was Demo Tape Man.
    I thought that Val did when he made that disk scratching noise...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; May 26, 2010 at 06:17pm.

I can't say I like the real names all too much. But I don't let it bother me. I can just ignore them.

I look at it like this. I guess in a way a real name adds a bit more to a character. Neat, more info. But I always sorta looked at most of the characters names being given to them by others, more so than what they chose to call themselves. I mean, if I see some dude walking down the street in a zebra outfit, I'd probably call him Zebra-Man, though he obviously has a real name, I just don't know it. Doubt I'd get a chance to find out if he's blowing up houses. I'd imagine just about all the characters with names like that in the masters universe are the same way. Hey look, it's a guy that looks like a bee and is flying, I don't know his real name, but let's just go with Buzz-Off. Doesn't matter if his name is Ted, he's still going to Buzz-Off.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captjhan View Post
    Mattel needs to look at both Star Wars (The prequel tragedy which ruined star wars forever) and the original Batman trilogy (Who's producers thought more was better). Stick to the simple bread and butter that made MOTU work and we'll all be better for it.
    Brilliantly stated!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Man, I can't believe you guys revealed 3 of the upcoming interviews coming up. What a bunch of spoilers! Not to say I'm not excited about it or am disappointed in any way. I just wasn't ready for a bunch of stuff like that to be revealed instantly! Especially Lou Scheimer! I have a feeling that is going to instantly be my favorite episode there.

Looking past the spoilers in the beginning there, it's as if this podcast goes on inside my mind when I'm thinking about MOTU stuff. I mean I agree with all points being made almost every time. I don't know if we all have similar tastes as MOTU fans or are things like Demo-Man, King Grayskull, the introduction of "real names", and some bio material really just that dumb and unnecessary? If I was in on this conversation, I'd have nothing to say at all, I'd just be in agreement with everyone else like most of this episode was. I want some more arguements next time!

And on the alchemy part of things, imperialmyrth explained it well. I don't really have a problem with the use of that word in there. It does somewhat pertain to mysticism, witchcraft, potions, chemistry and stuff like that. To me alchemy is combining various ingredients and turning them into something they are not normally used for, something more powerful and we all know Skeletor has done a lot of that over the decades. Sorta like making jungle juice, that's as far as I take my alchemy.

Keep up the good work! Love every episode. I really gotta call in and leave a voice mail, I just don't want to choke and not know what to say or anything, nor do I want to ramble and either of those are very possible!

Love it!
    Last edited by Count Marzo; May 26, 2010 at 06:50pm.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Guys, I just got back from the gym and finished listening to the whole thing.

I can't say this long or loud enough...

THANK YOU!!!!!

Thank you for the show. I love that I have a weekly podcast to which I can look forward. The differing opinions make it interesting, as I'm sure every board member gets to hear their particular views expressed.

How about (as the show progresses) a random weekly board member call-in to participate in part of the show? A couple of the bodybuilding podcasts that I frequent do this and it further helps to build the sense of community on the boards.

Just a thought.

Again, thank you for the hard work...it's very much appreciated.

One other thing...

Emiliano, re: your accent...

My friend, with everything you've brought to the MOTU mythos in the past 8 years, I don't care if you speak Swahili!
    Last edited by Larry Waters; May 26, 2010 at 07:07pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Just started listening now...

This was another great episode!! Thank you to all of you guys for making these and discussing things so well! Very good points brought up everywhere.

Eamon, I totally agree with you about scalpers/resellers that are careless and mean. I also think you're right about the "real names" having a legitimate place in MOTUC. To me the single biggest disruption is still Ro instead of Gray for He-Ro, but for most of the names, they're either harmless or based on the ones we already know. I figured the Beastman war paint was Eternian woad, but trying to look human is an interesting insight. Of course MYP ruined it by not giving him any face paint.

RE everyone's take on Keldor and the Demo-Man thing, I don't think it has to follow that he would become good if he and Demo-man were separated. I think it's possible that MOTUC is going with the idea that merging with Demo-Man gave him all his powers, thus the line about being just an alchemist at the start (or at least, greatly amplifying his magic and strength to make him a physical threat to He-Man). MYP had suggested Skeletor was slightly more unbalanced than he had been as Keldor, which I think is neat in regards to the relationship with Evil-Lyn. She fell for charismatic Keldor, but got stuck with abusive Skeletor. Maybe that's too simple though. I am really okay with the Keldor to Skeletor thing. I don't feel it means he'll go the Darth Vader route, but I do feel it adds more gravitas. Demo-Man is just something I'd have to see someone work out in story-form and design to get into it though.

Personally I saw the history of Miro and Keldor's mother as very Shakespearian, with many characters plotting and leading to enough betrayal that Miro had to fight Keldor's family, thus embittering Keldor's mother against him (with Marzo participating a bit like Aaron from Titus Andronicus).

That was, once again, wonderful!
    You guys kept me interested the whole time!
    I'm already looking forward to episode 3.

You all offer a lot of good insight from different opinions.
    So, please call in and share some of this on voicemail as well, and we'll try to work it into the show.

But, please try to keep the messages under a minute in length.
    Thanks!

(310) 933-5993

Okay, now you have me curious.
    What is my accent?
    It's actually kinda sexy lol.

Seriously though, you could TOTALLY make a killing doing voice overs for commercials.

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I LOVE the show!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Thanks, but you're being way too kind. :tblol
    JohnnyC and Joey D I ain't, and never will be.
    I'd much rather listen to Eamon, Emiliano and especially Dan.

But, what's the accent?
    Is it southern? Or, something else?
    I know I say a few words with a southern ting to them, and I've tried very hard for years to lose that.

But, what's the accent?
    I know I say a few words with a southern ting to them, and I've tried very hard for years to lose that.
    I'm not terribly good at placing accents, especially state side ones. Doesn't have an overly southern sound though, I just really like the way you pronounce certain words. Sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I thought that Val did when he made that disk scratching noise...
    Ah, right you are, I must have missed that part.

But, what's the accent?
    Nah, it doesn't sound like a southern accent to me. But then i'm not great at distinguishing between different stateside accents. For example; Pixel Dan, Toyguru and wrestling announcer Joey Styles all sound very similar to me.

As Minion said, you just have a cool voice.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    For example; Pixel Dan, Toyguru and wrestling announcer Joey Styles all sound very similar to me.
    LOL, Toyguru kinda does sound like Joey Styles.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Ah, right you are, I must have missed that part.

For example; Pixel Dan, Toyguru and wrestling announcer Joey Styles all sound very similar to me.
    Joey Styles? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    LOL, Toyguru kinda does sound like Joey Styles.
    Kind of looks like him too, hehe.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; May 27, 2010 at 09:58am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

But, what's the accent?
    Is it southern?
    No way bro....I'M Southern!

But, what's the accent?
    We both live in the same state and I have heard lots of southern/ country accents among us, but you my friend don't have a country accent. Not sure how you have been able to avoid picking that up, but you haven't.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

I was surprised Episode 2 came out so fast. Maybe I was just too busy this week but it seemed like it was very soon. Which is a good thing, hope you guys can keep up the tempo, because the podcast rocks.

Now, don't take this as criticism, I just wanted to say that when you all said "Good Journey" at the end, it reminded me of Masters Cast. They pretty much established that greeting as their thing. I am not saying you should be competing - we are all one big happy family - I just noticed that.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    But, what's the accent?
    I would say something else. Definitely not southern. If I had place a label on it, the closest would be a Keanu Reeves-esque accent. Not as bad as from the Bill and Ted era but more from his recent work where he has tried to lose it but hasn't been able to do it completely.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Now, don't take this as criticism, I just wanted to say that when you all said "Good Journey" at the end, it reminded me of Masters Cast. They pretty much established that greeting as their thing. I am not saying you should be competing - we are all one big happy family - I just noticed that.
    True, but, you know, it's kinda hard to think about something else (not that we purposely copied that): this has been estabilished as fan "goodbye" for year.. I remember using it in my Mastersunboudn updates too
    At least you get to hear how that is in Italian