Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 002 Discussion!

listened to 1/2 the podcast so far.

one thing, I think dropping the limits WOULD help. I know that people can make multiple purchases and so does everyone else.

what every means by lowering it from 10 to say 4-5 is that those people would have to get back in line to order again and while they are having to get back in line 2 or 3 other people can get in and order then 1-2 figures they need.

until they up production they really need to do this. even if only a hand full of people order 10 that is still a handfull that can get back in line so that others can get a chance.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    One thing I was surprised that you didn't bring up much was the history of the characters. Certain characters come from other areas and Mattel properties. Beastman was just a recycled Mattel concept from Flash Gordon. I'm always interested in the origins of characters and a lot of Mattel concepts.

You can almost see the similarities. Mattel just got out the old design pages and redrew him to fit the MOTU line. Paint him red and add a lion harness and you have beastman.

The same goes for Trap-jaw which was a Big Jim design, just tweaked. The same goes Battle Cat. The mold was from Big Jim toyline.
    Last edited by bskcase; August 13, 2010 at 02:10am.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    One thing I was surprised that you didn't bring up much was the history of the characters.
    Because the topic were the bios, not the origin of the toys
    BTW, Iron Jaw was a prototype, it was never produced. Mattel most likely decide to recycle the gimmick that was created for Iron Jaw

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Because the topic were the bios, not the origin of the toys
    BTW, Iron Jaw was a prototype, it was never produced. Mattel most likely decide to recycle the gimmick that was created for Iron Jaw
    Which is why I said it was a Big Jim design. I would have said toy if a toy was made.

At least the history was better than the Astronaut, Biff Beastman, changed by cosmic radiation when he crash landed with Evelyn Powers and Marlena in the Filmation bible. There's tons of things to discuss.

Talking about some tidbits, history, and facts are a lot better than taking turns of "I don't like it" over and over again while trying to paraphrase better than what the last guy said.
    Last edited by bskcase; June 1, 2010 at 11:58am.

Talking about some tidbits, history, and facts are a lot better than taking turns of "I don't like it" over and over again while trying to paraphrase better than what the last guy said.
    I think I gave a lot of tidbits and history facts abotut eh character, of course we're not going to transform it in the "History of MOTU", it's just a dicussions were everyone express his opinions.
    And again, the topic are not the toys origin, I don't see what good could have done mentionig Mattel recyclying a Flash Gordon name for MOTU (because that isn't at all a Mattel design, that figure came from Filmation design).
    The topic are the bios and we talk a lot about the history of the character.
    You're surprised we didn't mention the old Filmation astronauts origin fo Beast Man? Wait until we get to Evil-Lyn or Tri-Klops then!

I think I gave a lot of tidbits and history facts abotut eh character, of course we're not going to transform it in the "History of MOTU", it's just a dicussions were everyone express his opinions.

I'm just bringing up some ideas to talk about. I will grant you that there was a lot of discussion going on with Skeletor, everybody seemed to be stuck on Beastman. I just popped in some ideas of discussion and a rational man could have easily steered it to toy design and character bio, but clearly the experts don't need any suggestions.

My bad.

but clearly the experts don't need any suggestions.

My bad.
    Dude, what's your problem?
    Who said we don't need suggestion?
    Do you want to hear about toys? we'll talk about them sooner or later, that's for sure! And it's good to hear that it's a subject fans want to hear about

But is it really so bad if we stick to one subject for each episode?
    We don't want to steer it to the toys, our topic is the bio right now! That makes us irrational men then? I don't get it

We are just a bunch of irrational guys I guess!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Yeah, we're just irrational.

Anyway, we'll get around the the classic toys specifically in the future.
    With a show each week, there's a lot to talk about.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I can't wait for episode three!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Nothing more irrational than a ferret judge with a hammer...

Dude, the ferret knows no rational bounds!

Dude, what's your problem?
    Who said we don't need suggestion?
    What's yours?

I just tossed some ideas worth discussion and instead of a "we'll talk about them later or interesting suggestion" or something, you bash my statements. Are you just reading every other word, I write?

Did I write "Hey you guys need to only talk about toy design and nothing else?" I just thought people might find some tidbits interesting to hear and maybe discuss a bit. Nothing more. Just a suggestion.

That's all.

I found it interesting that Beastman concept was originally from Flash Gordon and Mattel retained the copyright and simply transferred the concept to MOTU. That's all I wrote. I find that fun and interesting. I guess nobody else would and I'm OK with that.

I guess I'm just a bit spoiled from listening to the Forcecast for the last three years. Pardon me.

by my understanding they are talking about the MOTUC bios not the concepts for the original toys. They may get round to that later but at the moment that is not the priority

of course I could be wrong
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

bskcase, please, let it go.
    The suggestions are okay.
    The flippant remarks are not.

As I said above, we're going to eventually talk about ALL MOTU topics,
    and we'll specifically talk about the classic MOTU toys and their history and more.

So, let's get back on track with the discussion.
    Thanks!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I'm just bringing up some ideas to talk about. I will grant you that there was a lot of discussion going on with Skeletor, everybody seemed to be stuck on Beastman. I just popped in some ideas of discussion and a rational man could have easily steered it to toy design and character bio, but clearly the experts don't need any suggestions.

My bad.
    They told us at the outset that these were to be BIO discussions! "History of the toy lines" could come down the line.

It's just a podcast!
    Last edited by Larry Waters; June 1, 2010 at 01:58pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I like the podcast and I like cheese, that is all.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

Anyway, we'll get around the the classic toys specifically in the future.
    With a show each week, there's a lot to talk about.
    You guys are going to have plenty of time to cover all things MOTU. In fact, since you're coming out with a new podcast once a week, you could probably have kept the discussions to just one bio per podcast and still gotten around to everything eventually.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Oh, there's SO much for us to geek out about and nit-pick.

When we get to discussing the toys from all brands, that alone is gonna take forever.

I actually find it quite hard to stay on one character. I'm always deviating from the conversation somewhat.
    Dying to cover as much as we can. But alas we cannot talk all day. I would get too hungry and dehydrate.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

So if this Demo-Man exists, does that explain all of the Skeletor Variants?

Roast Gooble Thoughts

If I could chime in here:

First, the podcasts are GREAT!! I love the synergy between all of you guys.

My thoughts on the topics:

NAMES:

I don't personally don't have an issue with the fact that there are names for the characters now, I do however, have an issue with some of the actual names.

I agree that Beast Man's name is terrible. But I get that as a beast-type humanoid, his name would be more or less a grunt and a groan.

It makes sense for these characters to have names, and to have them come from a different race. Where else would a "Mer-Man" or a "Beast-Man" come from?

Honestly, within the story, these generic type names ( "---Man" and such) just differentiate the characters from a more homeocentric point of view. Why? Well, because ALL the humans in the story have real names and codenames. Nobody questions that "Mecka-Neck" and "Ram Man" were not likely born with such names. Why would "Beast Man" have been born with such a name, that wouldn't have been such a name in his native tongue?

ALCHEMY:

As others have said, I think the concept is indeed being pigeon-holed into a "traditional" definition. If you check out the anime "FULL METAL ALCHEMIST", even though alchemy does indeed have scientific aspects, it also has plenty of mystical aspects as well. It's really science meets magic. To link alchemy with traditional chemistry is a misnomer. Further, alchemy is also a philosophical and spiritual practice, as well as a scientific one.

The reason why I have no issue with Keldor being an early alchemist, is because in the MYP toon, We hardly see Keldor practicing in legitimate "Magic" in any of the flashbacks. It's not till his transformation to Skeletor by Hordak do we see him practicing magic. Prior to that, In the flashbacks, we see Keldor stealing an orb (perhaps a mineral?), and he attempted to attack Randor with a vial of acid (the very basis of chemistry). He dropped yet another vial of some chemical or another in the pool that summoned Hordak.

Thus, it's very easy to see Keldor's transition from alchemist to mage, or even vice versa. Neither of these practices are necessarily exclusive arts.

DEMO-MAN:

I personally hate the concept. I don't mind Keldor seeming like Anakin, going down a self destructive path. Hordak could very well be seen as a version of the Emperor, but that is personally okay with me.

However, the concept of Demo-Man is wholly unnecessary.

I agree with what Emiliano said about the transformation (good example with Onslaught, by the way).
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Late to the comment party here, and only part-way through listening, but I thought I'd comment on the consensus of the RGD panel that pre-orders would be acceptable.

Just wanted to say that I firmly believe that if MOTUC were produced as a result of demand reflected by pre-orders, then we would never have seen Optikk, Gygor, He-Ro, and so on, or at least not for a long time.

I don't think enough fans have the foresight or imagination to envision cool new figures based on names alone.

Pair the preorder with a design of the figure and let the chips fall where they may.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Just wanted to say that I firmly believe that if MOTUC were produced as a result of demand reflected by pre-orders, then we would never have seen Optikk, Gygor, He-Ro, and so on, or at least not for a long time.
    I agree. If we had a pre-order system, Optikk might still be available.

I think if it weren't for the subscription, they wouldn't have moved so many Optikk's. The subscription definitely works for those D-list MOTU characters and works around the picky MOTU fan who would only buy vintage characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)