Thread: Animals and The Sword of Protection

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar

Animals and The Sword of Protection

I've been thinking about She-Ra's sword and the effect it has on animals...

Spirit doesn't really speak much in the first few episodes unless he is Swift Wind. I get that he probably couldn't speak until he became Swift Wind, but was he originally intended to be a normal horse when he wasn't Swifty, since we don't hear Spirit speak at all untill something like roughly seven episodes into the series? It's like the writers just decided to have him speak one day. I assume the explanation is that since becoming Swift Wind, Spirit retains his ability to speak even in his ordinary form?

Also, in the book the Spirit of She-Ra, She-Ra is wondering what her sword would do to Kowl and in the episode "Swifty's baby" She uses the Sword of Protection to make Swift Wind's foal into a winged unicorn. It seems that she can give wings and a horn to any animal? I was imagining if He-Man had the Sword of Protection instead, would he be flying around on a winged Battle Cat?

Any thoughts?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure. But I always loved that She-Ra had the power to heal animals.

irishtat2dgirl
    I always loved the fact that it seemed like She-ra could do more with the Sword of Protection that He-man could do with his. And the fact that not only could She-ra heal animals, but she could communicate with them telepathicly. like in SOTS, when the animals come into the Rebel camp, and everyone is frightend by the bear, i think even Bow says something like they could be horde spys or something like that and She-ra communicates with them and says" no the want to help us fight the horde." i think that's in Battle for Brightmoon, Right after he-man and She-ra bring back Queen Angela from Hunga, queen of the Harpies, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's right.

I adore the scene where Swift Wind gets shot and lies dying, and you can see She-ra's grief before she realises that she has the power to heal. It's so good!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian
    in the episode "Swifty's baby" She uses the Sword of Protection to make Swift Wind's foal into a winged unicorn. It seems that she can give wings and a horn to any animal?
    Umm..Where do you get to that last conclusion? Did she give wings and horn to other animals? (my memory is vague on She-Ra -episodes)

Because the way I see it in "Swifty's Baby" is that because the baby is spawn from unicorns, there is the potential for it to become a unicorn with wings, instead of a "regular" horse. But because it was taken from the Island, that potential was never tapped.
    She-Ra's sword only enchanced that which was already there, just as it does every time for Adora and other times like Melog turning into a person.

So you're saying the Unicorn potential was already there in Adora's horse Spirit?

^I always thought that .. see, I think Spirit's parent(s) could be (both?) Flying Unicorns.. see Spirit(S.W) might have been born away from the island as his foal was .. that's why he was a non-speaking horse but somehow he didn't remember Unicorn Island at all or that he was acutally S.Wind till She-ra transformed him.. though I guess that doesn't explain why he doesn't mention that he was born there.. but dang it. I like that theory

Edit: though I guess his father might have been a Unicorn and his mom be a horse I guess..