Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Ra comes back on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Ouch! I almost feel ashamed to see my art on such a poorly executed pakcaging
    And look like the only used the old vector illustrations I did for ER even before working for the BCI DVD.
    I would have hoped for a reuse of the tons of art we did for our DVD, but now, they went even cheaper than that.
    I have also no word for the logo, I really feel like they have butchered the work I did on that one.. sigh

Now that we see they went so cheap, do we really want to speculate they have invested money in producing a new minicomic?
    By looking at the packaging, I think the chances are next to zero.
    I bet it will be a printed version of the old SOTS comic that I scanned page by page and put on the DVD...
    And since I provided only a low rez PDF for that, I doubt it will look any good too.
    Its sad. Especially since they have all of our art files to work from.

Maybe those are just placeholder images while they work on the actual packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post

Maybe those are just placeholder images while they work on the actual packaging?
    Once can hope. Especially if those artworks are Emiliano's very first drawn images for ER, yet they'd still be able to use the material done for BCI?

It's like they have some summer-temp doing the layout for boxes, with no imagination on how to handle the artworks at hand.

PS. BCI Guy: Send me all the glorious Filmation-styled art in high-resolution to my e-mail and I'll whip up something just for comparison and
    we'll send that forward to them to show how it's done.

No? Well can't blame a guy trying to collect more fabulous art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Once can hope. Especially if those artworks are Emiliano's very first drawn images for ER, yet they'd still be able to use the material done for BCI?
    There is no reason they couldn't. BCI never owned the artwork, so its not like Navarre would go after them for using it. And I'm sure all assets changed hands with the sale.

There is no reason they couldn't. BCI never owned the artwork, so its not like Navarre would go after them for using it. And I'm sure all assets changed hands with the sale.
    And they totally used that alredy. Remember that She-Ra calendar? It was licensed by Classic Media and reused only art from the DVD, so they definitely have all of them.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I'm very interested in seeing more about Classic Meda's She-Ra releases. Classic Media has done some of the best DVD releases of kaiju movies (EG Godzilla, etc.) and they did a generally excellent release of the Lone Ranger TV series for the property's 75th Anniversary.

It'd be nice if CM reproduced the art cards that BCI had done as those were great extras.

Hopefully we'll get more He-Man as well. For some reason I missed picking up S2 Vol 1 of He-Man & the MOTU, and now those things cost an arm and a leg and I'm hoping a Classic Media release will drive down prices on the remaining BCI sets out there.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    OMG! This is like...the BEST weekend for She-Ra since the 80's! A preview of her action figure and news of a re-release on DVD...BEFORE Masters of the Universe even.

I really like how it mentions it's her 25th Anniversary edition on the one set.

Also...two words: mini-comic!

I can't WAIT to see what it is! I hope it's new or the unreleased Star Sisters one. I will be slightly disappointed if it's just the Secret of the Sword one.

That was my first thought when I saw the DVD pictures. I mean...not only are they exceptionally plain, but the complete series case is WAY too gold.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

And they totally used that alredy. Remember that She-Ra calendar? It was licensed by Classic Media and reused only art from the DVD, so they definitely have all of them.
    They should have them. I must have burned at least 50 DVDs of art for Gillian at ER.

I think instead of making copies of what I sent them, they just sent the original discs out to licensors and then asked me to send them a new one each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    It'd be nice if CM reproduced the art cards that BCI had done as those were great extras.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think the contracts with the artists allowed for the cards to be published elsewhere or used again. They could be reprinted if the entire sets were, but I think they were tied to those specific releases.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; June 2, 2010 at 01:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

When I spoke to slow dazzle media and Hype media last year both told me that the images used on the calander and cards came directly from a style guide (recieved from CM for the calendar and Mattel for the cards), but both use exactly the same images. Emiliano I highly suspect ER or CM compiled a new style guide with the art you produced for the BCI DVDS. But the Art on those Birthday cards (which is exactly the same art as on the calander and now these new DVDs) was given to hype media specifically by Mattel.

It seems very strange that both Classic Media and Mattel are using exactly the same art to develope projects with partners. I just don't see how Mattel can have access to the Filmation likenesses of He-Man and She-Ra (as the hype cards prove) without having some new found access to the Filmation lisence.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? WHO DOES CARE ABOUT THE ARTWORK (which looks very good anyway)? ENJOY THE DVDs, THEY'VE BEEN BOOSTED ON THE MARKET AGAIN. You can found them again. People got a new chance to re-discover the legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    OMG! This is like...the BEST weekend for She-Ra since the 80's! A preview of her action figure and news of a re-release on DVD...BEFORE Masters of the Universe even.

I really like how it mentions it's her 25th Anniversary edition on the one set.
    Well, it looks like Classic Media loves blonde, super-powered heroines! And we agree...
    Last edited by Vanquest; June 2, 2010 at 06:41am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? WHO DOES CARE ABOUT THE ARTWORK (which looks very good anyway)
    Please chill out Vanquest Some people do care.

Please chill out Vanquest Some people do care.
    I know, but in the end we're getting new DVDs and the fandom goes on. Despite BCI Eclipse's demise.
    Anyway, I still think the artwork looks very good.

Emiliano- did you produce any artwork that wasn't used on the DVDs? I'm thinking about that very first image of She-Ra from an early packaging image (like she's about to raise the sword).
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Emiliano- did you produce any artwork that wasn't used on the DVDs? I'm thinking about that very first image of She-Ra from an early packaging image (like she's about to raise the sword).
    the one used on the UK set?

by the way I finally found pics of the HMV UK exclusive season one set:

The picture of He-Man and She-Ra above was created by Eamon for the UK dvd's. I have a nice big print of it!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    The picture of He-Man and She-Ra above was created by Eamon for the UK dvd's. I have a nice big print of it!
    I love it.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I'll be picking up the complete series. Sure, I already have the BCI releases, but a back-up is always nice! I am fine with the complete series packaging: Just She-Ra in your face. It isn't as cool looking as the BCI Best Of, but hey, win some lose some. Case in point: the pink on the single edition needs to go.
    I basically agree - the magneta-pink is harsh, but I've seen far, FAR worse packaging than a big picture of the title character on a solid background. Even the logo crop-down is fine with me - off this board, I've only ever heard the cartoons called "He-Man" and "She-Ra", never MotU/PoP, and the stacked logo is really tall to the point of being ungainly.

(And quite honestly, I'd be less embarrased buying that gold "complete series" box than I was buying the sparkly pink HMV S1V1 set, pictured above. Even if I'd prefer that they fixed her cape, which is miscoloured as part of her hair in the mock-up.)
    Last edited by Reboot; June 2, 2010 at 12:11pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    You make some valid points. Using just "SHE-RA" can actually be a good thing. Plus, I too did not like the over use of pink for the BCI art, which I openly complained about previously.

If anything I'd like them to swap the image they used for the 25th anniversary Season 1 set and put that on the Complete Series box instead.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic Warrior
    I'm curious what the price point is going to be for this release.

I'm not overly keen to buy the set/s again, so there will have to be goodies and they will have to be good if I am to buy it again. A transfer sounds cool and a mini-comic sounds even better!!!

Emiliano, I think that the "complete series" art looks ok - though I completely understand where you are coming from.

Eamon's UK Christmas special art looks good - he's come a long way from those original DVD covers.

I already own the original sets. However, will they be releasing the classic He-Man as well eventually?

Quote Originally Posted by LeelooMinai View Post
    Well, I hate to pooh-pooh, but I am NOT buying this series again, as much as I would want the goodies.

I think it's good for the people who missed out the first time, though.
    Agreed. I can't see owning this again. Unless there was a Blu Ray release of the old series' however...
    Who has the Power?

I caution all before buying this set, especially if you already own the BCI sets. The BCI sets are in stereo, this set is slated to be in mono. Also, they will be (have to due to number of discs) cramming more episodes per disc (like 9 to 10) to get 93 episodes on 10 discs. This means lowering the bit rate for each episode so they can fit that many per disc which ultimately reduces the picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman's Head View Post
    Unless there was a Blu Ray release of the old series' however...
    It would be a waste of money. There is no way to improve them beyond DVD quality. When Hallmark digitized the library, they didn't do it at a high enough resolution for HD. And since they destroyed all the original elements after digitizing it, its impossible to go back and do a better job.

Heroic Warrior
    When Hallmark digitized the library, they didn't do it at a high enough resolution for HD. And since they destroyed all the original elements after digitizing it, its impossible to go back and do a better job.
    Does that mean all the various edited scenes are permanently gone too?
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Does that mean all the various edited scenes are permanently gone too?
    Pretty much. There are some VHS tapes still around that have some of them (although ER wouldn't let us use them as extras on the DVDs).

But the physical library (animated and live action) is all pretty much gone.