Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Ra comes back on DVD!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Wow. Could you imagine new He-Man and She-Ra TV shows, video games and movies?! *totally geeks out*
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I seen that on this FP and I am really stooked to get the complete set even though I have it already.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    If Mattel can't make Filmations characters, which CM owns, I doubt they can make a cartoon for He-Man and She-Ra, which Mattel owns.
    At the time that Classic Media purchased He-Man and She-Ra off of Entertainment Rights, they held the media rights to He-Man and She-Ra -- Mattel only held the toy rights. The ownership of the He-Man property was complicated and She-Ra was even more-so. Now, this may have changed, but as it was before, Classic Media would be able to make a new cartoon based off the classic look of the characters. If you do some searches around the forum, you can find more specific information. Filmation was very savvy in the 80s when they made their deals with Mattel.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Yeah, that's right. I think they can also re-imagine She-Ra if they wanted to. (Remember the band idea?) I also remember that Angel-T posted an advertisement from Entertainment Rights, back when they still owned the Filmation library, and it implied they could do stuff like statues too.

I wonder if the thundercat stactions do well would CM looks at doing some Filmation Stactions. I think 100% accurate Filmation stactions would be my dream product. He-Man & She-Ra in their Transformation posesw would totally rock!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Update:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/She...e-Series/13884

These extras better be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Update:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/She...e-Series/13884

These extras better be something special.
    Yeah after seeing the prices I'll be passing on the sets. I'm having enough problems trying to get the Classics figures right now.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    At the time that Classic Media purchased He-Man and She-Ra off of Entertainment Rights, they held the media rights to He-Man and She-Ra -- Mattel only held the toy rights. The ownership of the He-Man property was complicated and She-Ra was even more-so. Now, this may have changed, but as it was before, Classic Media would be able to make a new cartoon based off the classic look of the characters. If you do some searches around the forum, you can find more specific information. Filmation was very savvy in the 80s when they made their deals with Mattel.
    If that was still the case, how could Mattel be making a movie? That's still "media" isn't it, or are you just talking about TV?

Ideally, the best case scenario would be that Classic Media and Mattel are negotiating to let CM produce new media in exchange for allowing Mattel to make figures based on that as well as classic Filmation.
    Last edited by Super He-Man; June 9, 2010 at 10:52pm.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Those extra's are gonna have to be something pretty special to convince fans who already own these DVD's to shell out again!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Those extra's are gonna have to be something pretty special to convince fans who already own these DVD's to shell out again!
    I agree. $100 for the full series on 10 discs seems...high.

$20 for volume 1 sounds decent enough though...but we DO have all of them already. Well, a LOT of us do!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

$20 for volume 1 sounds decent enough though...but we DO have all of them already. Well, a LOT of us do!
    That's just the SRP. I see that Amazon already has it for 30 bucks cheaper. I'll be passing, but I don't think it is a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    If that was still the case, how could Mattel be making a movie? That's still "media" isn't it, or are you just talking about TV?
    There's also more about the rights being in character looks used in media.

When a movie will come around, the look of the characters will be drastically different to those in Filmation version.

The price is indeed high even with the standard 30% discount...

Will wait and see what the "goodies" will be inside before ordering

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

Considering they'll likely be 5 volumes, it actually works out the same.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure if this is completely trustworthy, but it's what I found on best buy's website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/She-Ra%3A+Complete+Series+%2810pc%29+-+Fullscreen+-+DVD/18667354.p?id=2120908&skuId=18667354&st=she-ra&lp=2&cp=1

For those who don't want to click, according to best buy the release will be 9/28/10 and $89.99 - for the complete series.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    Why does it say She-Ra on the cover, and not She-Ra Princess of Power?--That was the name of the show.

What's the difference between the complete series edition and the 25th Anniversary edition?

Are The Secret of the Sword and A Christmas Special included in the complete series edition or the 25th anniversary edition?

I wonder if they would ever release a special Secret of the Sword/Christmas Special DVD box set. 2 for 1 deal.
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Cybertronian Visitor transfan80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DynastyMasters View Post
    Why does it say She-Ra on the cover, and not She-Ra Princess of Power?--That was the name of the show.
    The preliminary cover art is still very early....it may still have the full title on the final artwork.

What's the difference between the complete series edition and the 25th Anniversary edition?
    The complete series set is supposed to include some packed-in goodies, while the smaller set is a Vol. 1 release with two discs and contains the first 20 episodes.

Are The Secret of the Sword and A Christmas Special included in the complete series edition or the 25th anniversary edition?
    It's not entirely known, but TvShowsonDVD stated in the initial news story that the complete series set's running time didn't seem to allow for it.

I wonder if they would ever release a special Secret of the Sword/Christmas Special DVD box set. 2 for 1 deal.
    No plans have been announced for that, but who knows what may happen.
    Be who you are, not what's cool.

I heard this news a few days ago and my heart did a double-bounce. Even though I should know better, I thought this would mean the original series was coming back as a new show. Silly hun? My imagination can run away with me...

I feel your pain in regards to the artwork Emiliano. It must be hard to create something out of love and then have to sell it off forever to people who may not do the best stuff with it. I agree the covers are surprisingly minimal, but that may have been the way to do. The BCI sets were lavish, and these are clearly more bare-bones sets hoping to grab the eye from across a busy DVD shop. And they'll do that. Less is more, even if we don't exactly adore the "less" in this case.

I wonder if the thundercat stactions do well would CM looks at doing some Filmation Stactions. I think 100% accurate Filmation stactions would be my dream product. He-Man & She-Ra in their Transformation posesw would totally rock!
    You and I are TOTALLY on the same wavelength! I saw those statues a few days ago and my mind immediately went to She-Ra and He-Man. They did wonders with Cheetara and Mumm-Ra. Imagine She-Ra and Skeletor and Catra Statues!!! That would rule. My wallet would cease to exist and I'd be living on the streets, but hey...I'd buy them!

I also wouldn't bet on a new She-Ra story in the mini-comic. If they were going that route, they would have employed people who really knew the universe (hence, someone on this site, likely Emil or others). This will probably be the SOTS mini.

Walmart has a placeholder for these sets on their site:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/14666089

I lol'ed at the description.

And STILL nobody thinks to convert them back to NTSC. T-shirts, posters, mono sound, stereo sound, murals, interviews, documentaries, mini-comics...and I still can't see the show in NTSC.

Why not use the money to reverse all the episodes back to the way American fans saw them. We're not all British, and the passive-agressive attitude shown by everyone involved about this only made things worse.

I didn't grow up seeing any of this in PAL format, and British fans did. It's easy for them to sweep it under the rug. Oh, I forgot..."sorry, but I like to do things FAST, so FAST that I have a don't even have to listen to what people say!" That was charming to the yuppie population that existed in the 80s. It's pure filth now.

Then again, I forget sometimes that I'm not in the industry, because I'm not a masochist. Just a fan.

Block me if you want, but I've been patient for the better part of a decade only to watch everyone drop the ball. Generation X deserves what they get, still, to this day. They make sure it's what they get, so they do it to themselves.

Sad-sacks.

You are not alone in wanting it all in the ORIGINAL NTSC glory (and sound!) The transformation sequence just FLIES BY on the BCI DVDs and Adora sounds annoyingly high-pitched in some episodes.

Thing is, once you've transferred something into 30 fps and then back into 24 fps, you've lost frames. And apparently, the originals aren't around anymore because Hallmark destroyed them (or so the story goes). So trying to slow this down would look SUPER wierd and bad because frames would be missing or blurred. They tried to slow it down already and didn't release it that way because it wouldn't have sold. Everyone, us included, would have hated watching the show that way.

So I've grown to accept that I'll never see the show on DVD in NTSC unless I'm watching some bootleg VHS-to-DVD conversions. It's a shame, I hate that this happened, but unless there are the NTSC originals lying around somewhere (Lou ain't got them?!) we're out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    You are not alone in wanting it all in the ORIGINAL NTSC glory (and sound!) The transformation sequence just FLIES BY on the BCI DVDs and Adora sounds annoyingly high-pitched in some episodes.

Thing is, once you've transferred something into 30 fps and then back into 24 fps, you've lost frames. And apparently, the originals aren't around anymore because Hallmark destroyed them (or so the story goes). So trying to slow this down would look SUPER wierd and bad because frames would be missing or blurred. They tried to slow it down already and didn't release it that way because it wouldn't have sold. Everyone, us included, would have hated watching the show that way.

So I've grown to accept that I'll never see the show on DVD in NTSC unless I'm watching some bootleg VHS-to-DVD conversions. It's a shame, I hate that this happened, but unless there are the NTSC originals lying around somewhere (Lou ain't got them?!) we're out of luck.
    Spot on.

We tried to do it when we first licensed He-Man, but that's exactly the problem. If you slow it down by 4%, it screws up the animation because you're missing those frames.

And since the source material is long gone, it is what it is.

I never noticed. Now I probably will. Crap.

Widget
    I only own one volume and the best of from the first release, so I may consider buying this..

Anyone know if this re-release could lead to the series being available on USA iTunes? I found an old post saying MOTU 1908s and POP was on iTunes UK, but not USA iTunes.
    I used to be UncommonFemaleFan, but I lost my password.

Classic He-Man is the ONLY He-Man that is acceptable!

Skeletor is **NOT** King Randor's BROTHER!

Best of She-Ra DVD = $17.99 @ Target
    Waiting 15 years to OWN Secret of the Sword = Priceless.

Cars Fans, sign the petition to get a 2 DISC set!

http://www.petitiononline.com/CARSdvd/petition.html

This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

Since over a third of She-Ra's series was available on VHS in the US, couldn't they just take, say, a factory sealed Secret of the Sword (for the best quality), convert it and then remaster?

I'm really not knowledgeable in this area at all, so I have no idea if this would even be a logical option.