Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Ra comes back on DVD!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

Since over a third of She-Ra's series was available on VHS in the US, couldn't they just take, say, a factory sealed Secret of the Sword (for the best quality), convert it and then remaster?

I'm really not knowledgeable in this area at all, so I have no idea if this would even be a logical option.
    Not logical at all.
    First of all, VHS resolution is lower than DVD.
    And you can't remaster from a VHS to digital.
    I mean, you can, but the result would look like a VHS. A master copy is much higher quality.

Ah, I see.

I thought maybe there might be some ultra-advanced technical method for really cleaning-up/enhancing the picture and sound that I didn't know about.

This may be a dumb question, but here goes:

Since over a third of She-Ra's series was available on VHS in the US, couldn't they just take, say, a factory sealed Secret of the Sword (for the best quality), convert it and then remaster?

I'm really not knowledgeable in this area at all, so I have no idea if this would even be a logical option.
    They could, but the quality would be awful. There just isn't enough resolution in VHS.

350×480 (250 lines): VHS
    720×480 (500 lines): DVD
    1920×1080 (1020 lines): Blu-ray

Unfortunately you can't increase the resolution of VHS by doing some type of HD scan of the tape. The extra information just isn't there.

At least it would be great to get the audio from the VHS release, since the Hallmark track is in mono with very low quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    At least it would be great to get the audio from the VHS release, since the Hallmark track is in mono with very low quality.
    The Hallmark track is Dolby stereo 2.0. Its not a great track, but that's the problem of the original recording. Its still better than the VHS.

Plus you'd have the issue of having to speed-up the VHS track and sync it to the video.

Here's a picture of Classic Media's booth at the International Licensing Expo in Las Vegas about 2 weeks ago. I wonder if anything about She-Ra was mentioned?

I already have the previous release, which was pretty good, so I won't be getting the new one. But it's great to bring the show back for its 25th anniversary.
    For the honor of Grayskull!

I won't be buying this either, since I have the old release. But I'll still get excited when I see it in stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Ewigkeit View Post
    I already have the previous release, which was pretty good, so I won't be getting the new one. But it's great to bring the show back for its 25th anniversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    I won't be buying this either, since I have the old release. But I'll still get excited when I see it in stores!
    Will you get it if it has a really cool new mini-comic?

I'm getting them both... not sure when though

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I am picking up the both releases. I realize they probably won't be anywhere near as cool as the BCI releases, but the fan in me makes me purchase all things.

I did see that Amazon raised the pre-order price at least on the full set. Glad I put my pre-order in super early.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Will you get it if it has a really cool new mini-comic?
    Errrr no. Does that mean I'm not "hardcore" anymore?

when is it gonna be released, sry didnt see it anywhere?

update, i just found out it will be out in sept, 2010, region 1
    Last edited by kelddorr; June 29, 2010 at 09:36pm.

Their PR site still cracks me up. http://www.classicmedia.tv/pr/shera/

I bet they are going to go with just She-Ra on the artwork. I have some weird feeling about it.

Do you guys think this 25th anniversary set may be what Melendy Britt was referring to when she left that voice message last year; the comment about there being "something else" in the works that she couldn't talk about?

Perhaps that "and more" in the solicitation is Melendy appearing on the DVD extras to talk about She-Ra.

Do you guys think this 25th anniversary set may be what Melendy Britt was referring to when she left that voice message last year; the comment about there being "something else" in the works that she couldn't talk about?

Perhaps that "and more" in the solicitation is Melendy appearing on the DVD extras to talk about She-Ra.
    That would be pretty cool! I don't follow She-Ra very much. What is the voice message you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    And they totally used that alredy. Remember that She-Ra calendar? It was licensed by Classic Media and reused only art from the DVD, so they definitely have all of them.
    I swear someone here contacted the company that did the Euro POP calendar (the one with all the Filmation imagery), and they had to get the license from MATTEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    When I spoke to slow dazzle media and Hype media last year both told me that the images used on the calander and cards came directly from a style guide (recieved from CM for the calendar and Mattel for the cards), but both use exactly the same images. Emiliano I highly suspect ER or CM compiled a new style guide with the art you produced for the BCI DVDS. But the Art on those Birthday cards (which is exactly the same art as on the calander and now these new DVDs) was given to hype media specifically by Mattel.

It seems very strange that both Classic Media and Mattel are using exactly the same art to develope projects with partners. I just don't see how Mattel can have access to the Filmation likenesses of He-Man and She-Ra (as the hype cards prove) without having some new found access to the Filmation lisence.
    Ok, I think maybe it was you that told me what I mentioned above LOL!

I agree that this all seems weird. Mattel is SUPER anal-retentive about rights issues. I'd think their lawyers would be ALL OVER this company. I mean, heck, they demanded that Pixel Dan not use Filmation imagery, and the same for He-Man.org (I think).

I wouldn't be surprised if Mattel does have some agreement. Toyguru changed his answer to the question, "are you going to be doing Filmation characters," from "NO" to "We have no comment at this time" at NY Toy Fair, which is usually business-speak for "we are legally bound not to say anything about this issue at all."

In any case, SOMETHING is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    And since they destroyed all the original elements after digitizing it, its impossible to go back and do a better job.
    That is tragic

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Pretty much. There are some VHS tapes still around that have some of them (although ER wouldn't let us use them as extras on the DVDs).
    Why? Are they making millions on those cut scenes sitting in a closet somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    If Mattel can't make Filmations characters, which CM owns, I doubt they can make a cartoon for He-Man and She-Ra, which Mattel owns.
    Unless....

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Ideally, the best case scenario would be that Classic Media and Mattel are negotiating to let CM produce new media in exchange for allowing Mattel to make figures based on that as well as classic Filmation.
    This...
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Why? Are they making millions on those cut scenes sitting in a closet somewhere?
    Hum, the point is that they don't have those scenes sitting in a closet. BCIguy is referring to homevide VHS. Since they don't have the scenes in the masters they got, they won't let anyone put them in a licensed product.

Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    Errrr no. Does that mean I'm not "hardcore" anymore?
    Yes. U a lie.

kidding.

If Melendy was involved in this release, I would be VERY tempted to rent it, at the very least.

But if BCI didn't have the budget to pay her, then why would these new people? Aren't they famous for bare bones sets?

I suspect stickers, iron-ons, and maybe some glitter stuffed into the box.

http://www.amazon.com/She-Ra-Complet...8628852&sr=8-4

Someone added the box art shown on Classic Media's Public Relations page to Amazon.

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    That would be pretty cool! I don't follow She-Ra very much. What is the voice message you are referring to?
    This is the text of the message as posted by Super He-Man:

""Hey She-Ra fans, looks like the site is back up again. Seems as if the servers haven't been too cooperative lately. But Lisa has it all straightened out now. So if some of you tried to get on the site and couldn't, sorry about that. And uh Lisa's checking into it. Anyway, I hope you all were able to read the answers to the questions you sent. I did enjoy them. Out here business is picking up! Which is great. And I hope it's the same for all of you. Uh, next week, I'm doing an interview for an internet site about a cartoon series I did a long time ago, before She-Ra, called Plastic Man. So when I find out all the details, Lisa can give you the web address and you can check it out. AND there's *something else* in the works but I'm not at liberty to talk about it right now...if it goes through it'll be really fun...so I'll talk to you all later. Sending you all good wishes. Bye." "
    The message was discussed in this now closed thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/....php?p=2169533

I wonder if someone could just ask her.. Perhaps anybody with a MOTU Podcast??

but then again, I could just be getting spoiled with all the great interviews we've been hearing lately.
    Last edited by CarKrash; July 8, 2010 at 10:36pm.

Color Change

A change to the artwork has been made on Classic Media's Public Relations page for She-Ra. In addition to the color changes, looks like the company credits and "25th Anniversary" on the spine are newly added.

What is the dark red supposed to be in the first pic?

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    What is the dark red supposed to be in the first pic?
    I think it's supposed to be her cape, tho it looks darker than it was

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    I think it's supposed to be her cape, tho it looks darker than it was
    Yeah, and it looks totally out of place with just that bit showing through.