Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: She-Ra comes back on DVD!

If Melendy is making herself available for the express purpose of promoting the sets, I find Classic Media/Vivendi Entertainment's plan of action a bit backwards, because the Season 1 Volume 1 set coming out this Tuesday doesn't appear to have any new extras. (Now maybe it does, however, nothing has been mentioned in any of the descriptions as of yet.)

To me, it's a bit odd to have a voice actress promoting a set that she didn't contribute anything new on. What are they going to ask her that can't be found through a quick Google search? And if she's on the Complete Series set, or planning to be a part of it, well...that's four months away.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't the Complete Series set the more important release and shouldn't they be holding off on offering her services until closer to the release date, so the information will be fresh?

Ideally, I think they should've done more to keep the September 28th date on that set. Not only because sales are typically higher during the 4th quarter (well, most of the first week sales would fall in the 4th quarter), but also because Qubo will be airing She-Ra starting on the 28th and RTV some time during the 4th quarter. That would've been such a huge push.

If Classic Media have started making "appointments" for Melendy then maybe she made a deal with them. Like schedule her 5-6 interviews with various people and she in return do one for free for the set..

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    That sounds plausible, but the only thing that makes me curious is why they're delaying the set until January? Typically the 4th quarter is the best time of the year to release, so I figured they were maybe improving upon the set and/or adding features.
    You're absolutely right about the 4th quarter - but only for big studios and major releases. Smaller companies have very little shot at shelf space, advertising is WAY more expensive and retailers are going to push the things that sell in the hundreds of thousands - not the things that sell from the hundreds to the thousands.

If they go in 1st quarter (specifically January), they can take advantage of the studios shipping less, and they can hope people use Christmas money, gift cards and exchanges on their product.

At BCI we generally skipped December completely unless we had a big holiday themed title (and that usually went out in October or early November).

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    The press release is intended to reach the press, so their mentioning of Melendy being available for interviews is more about getting her name out there and giving her air-time. It's not a call to us fans to plead with Classic Media that they involve her in the DVDs.
    I agree. I think Emil nailed it. They want her to promote the DVDs.

I'd guess that the mere fact that she's included on the press release means she was involved in these sets somehow. I can't see any company saying "Hey, we've finished our DVD sets and are writing the press release, so why don't we try to get this actress we've had no contact with at all some limelight, just because we're nice!"
    Maybe. Its very likely they have a limited budget and if they were able to get Melendy, they may have decided that paying her to promote the DVDs will generate more sales than paying her to be part of the DVDs.

The former increases awareness, the latter benefits the much smaller pool of people who are aware.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 24, 2010 at 07:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    You're absolutely right about the 4th quarter - but only for big studios and major releases. Smaller companies have very little shot at shelf space, advertising is WAY more expensive and retailers are going to push the things that sell in the hundreds of thousands - not the things that sell from the hundreds to the thousands.

If they go in 1st quarter (specifically January), they can take advantage of the studios shipping less, and they can hope people use Christmas money, gift cards and exchanges on their product.
    Ah, I see. My thought was that maybe stores would be willing to take on more product since it's She-Ra's 25th anniversary, coupled with the fact that the series would start airing in the U.S. in close proximity to the release.

Maybe. Its very likely they have a limited budget and if they were able to get Melendy, they may have decided that paying her to promote the DVDs will generate more sales than paying her to be part of the DVDs.

The former increases awareness, the latter benefits the much smaller pool of people who are aware.
    How do you think she'll go about doing that? I guess I'm confused, because Melendy is mostly known for voicing She-Ra, and I'm thinking it would mostly be folks from DVD-related sites that would be interested in an interview (moreso if she was part of the set), but it seems like most of those sites are on top of these releases anyway.

Ah, I see. My thought was that maybe stores would be willing to take on more product since it's She-Ra's 25th anniversary, coupled with the fact that the series would start airing in the U.S. in close proximity to the release.
    Stores aren't going to care that its her 25th anniversary. If anything its almost a negative, because it just says "this is old". With the shrinking of DVD sections in stores (and the disinterest in smaller studios), I'm not convinced this is even going to be in THAT many stores.

How do you think she'll go about doing that? I guess I'm confused, because Melendy is mostly known for voicing She-Ra, and I'm thinking it would mostly be folks from DVD-related sites that would be interested in an interview (moreso if she was part of the set), but it seems like most of those sites are on top of these releases anyway.
    TV is expensive, but you can usually get some radio promotion, or a quick segment on a radio show for a reasonable amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    TV is expensive, but you can usually get some radio promotion, or a quick segment on a radio show for a reasonable amount of money.
    Makes sense. When Filmation was still under Entertainment Rights, I remember they hooked up with Kidtoon Films and promoted The Secret of the Sword on radio by way of free ticket giveaways.

Its very likely they have a limited budget and if they were able to get Melendy, they may have decided that paying her to promote the DVDs will generate more sales than paying her to be part of the DVDs.

Oh...I didn't think of that, and wasn't saying that in my post. I still don't think that makes much sense, and I really hope they didn't go that route.

At this point, I really have no idea what's going on. I just hope Melendy did some great interview for the complete series set.

Even though it would have made more sense to get someone here involved in that, as interviewer. Man, if we just get her answering the same old "what's voice-over work like?"/"how does it feel to be a female icon?" questions, I'm going to be royally cheesed off.

EDIT:

This is on Melendy's site, which I didn't notice:

She-Ra is 25!
    She-Ra is celebrating her 25th anniversary this
    year! Please stay tuned for special interviews and
    more with Melendy Britt. A new, complete boxed set
    will be released later this year. It will feature all of
    the episodes of She-Ra Princess of Power and
    more!

So....I'm back to thinking she's recorded something for the set. Maybe that's what her "Big She-Ra News!" announcement a while back was about...yup. I've decided: She's made a contribution. Now, no one offer up another opinion and confuse me, okay? LOL!
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; September 26, 2010 at 12:19am.

She-ra sports a new yellow cape

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    She-ra sports a new yellow cape
    Oh good grief....

What the hell have they done this! I really feel for Emiliano & Alessandra seeing their beautiful art butcherd in this way, I think CM must be employing Imp to create these DVD covers! b
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I have less and less confidence in them all the time...

Heroic Warrior
    It looks exactly like the box already shown on page 1 of this thread.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    It looks exactly like the box already shown on page 1 of this thread.
    That's because the image was linked to the originla source and that was changed.
    The cape was red before.

Geez, and I even got in touch with them to offer help in fixing this kind of stuff .

This is very sad. I just hope they're aware of this feeling.

This set is going to have to have something *really* special about it to convince me to buy it...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets King Ahgo

Emiliano, you should create a mockup for the two sets.
    Nothing too complex in low res. so it shouldn't take up a lot of your time.
    I am 100% sure that, THAT will be a million times better than the official one.

A 25th Anniversary set designed by Emiliano would be every POP fan dream come true..

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    This is very sad. I just hope they're aware of this feeling.
    That's the problem.
    They probably have no idea people aren't liking those boxes much.
    The best you guys can do is going on Classic Media contact page and start emailing them.
    Let them know you don't like them and you want something better.
    They have my contacts, but they need to hear from people in order to take the decision to change it.

Are any of you picking up the Season 1 Volume 1 set tomorrow?

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    i am. I don't have the show on DVD just VCR. time to update my copy.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

i will wait for a good deal.

it's not going anywhere

edit:

The Melendy website has been updated. Basically it's a new website.

We can forget the mini-comic : http://www.melendybrittfansite.net/readmore.html
    Last edited by demiscy; September 27, 2010 at 04:08pm.

First review is out.

She-Rocks: 'She-Ra: Volume 1, Season 1' on DVD

Female superheroes are hard to take seriously. They're usually drawn by men, never wear much clothing and were likely dreamed up to sell toys or meet quotas. (See Aquagirl, Batgirl and Supergirl.)

Though Princess Adora/She-Ra, twin sister of Prince Adam/He-Man, fits those specifications, she has a feisty take-no-crap attitude that Rainbow Brite and other 1980s animated she-protagonists lacked. The pneumatically endowed heroine is still kicking 25 years later with the Sept. 28 release of "She-Ra: Volume 1, Season 1" ($16.99 at Amazon).

The new discs cover the "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" spin-off's first 20 episodes. But if distributor Classic Media is hoping to do right by She-Ra, they need to kick in some special features. Any of them. Immediately.

She-Ra's silver anniversary should be commemorated with all manner of extras. This barebones edition's got nothing. Classic Media claims an upcoming full-series box will include an episode guide and stickers, and Mattel is coughing up a collectible She-Ra (not included). Fans will find no insight into the genesis of Grayskull Barbie, who could kick ass, but only in miniskirts.

Devoted She-Ra followers can still appreciate the array of solidly kitschy moments. "A female He-Man! This is the worst day of my life!" a typically scenery-chewing Skeletor cries in the episode "Battle for Brightmoon." Glitter — girls love sparkles! — swirls out of Adora's sword when she transforms into She-Ra. See-through moral lessons ("The only true strength comes from the heart") abound.

Yet Adora does have some cred as a superhero. She didn't need a man to do anything, decided to be independent of her family, and fought evil. She is an Ur-Buffy for sure. And she rocked pants-less leotards long before (well, technically after, since MOTU is set in the far-future — see you at Comic-Con, nerds!) Lady Gaga and Beyonce ever did.

Written by Express contributor Roxana Hadadi
    http://www.expressnightout.com/conte...on-one-dvd.php

Wow.
    BCI sets still put this to shame.
    Horray for us once more.... I guess.. sigh.

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but this once again, proves what happens when you don't involve people that actually care abotu the brand.
    BCI did great at involving us and Andy. We all worked together as an awesome team to create the best DVD sets possible.

I tried to got in touch with this new guys. Nothing happened.
    Fans can see the difference I guess
    And yeah, Mattel should read and takes notes of this.

I bought the set on the way back home.

The background on the inside (behind the plastic) is like notebook paper ala the Character Sheets on Classic Media's PR page. Left side has the words to "I Have The Power". Right side says "She-Ra Rulz!" in a cloud at the top with Kowl to the right of it, "I heart (symbol) Bow at the bottom and the middle portion has the words to the intro of the first couple eps. ("Where darkness rules...)

There's also an episode guide insert.

The Most Powerful Woman in the Universe gets note paper and 80's school girl scribbles! This isn't how you treat a female / femenist icon Classic Media!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PASS

I'm agreeing with every word of Emiliano's last post! At the very least Classic Media should interview Melendy otherwise these sets come across as a cheep shadow of the fantastic effort produced by the BCI team & I have no reasion to buy them!
    Last edited by Angel-T; September 28, 2010 at 02:19pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I bought the set on the way back home.

The background on the inside (behind the plastic) is like notebook paper ala the Character Sheets on Classic Media's PR page. Left side has the words to "I Have The Power". Right side says "She-Ra Rulz!" in a cloud at the top with Kowl to the right of it, "I heart (symbol) Bow at the bottom and the middle portion has the words to the intro of the first couple eps. ("Where darkness rules...)

There's also an episode guide insert.
    PLEASE PLEASE post many pics of it

You want pictures? I'm not sure I want to see this...hideous, tacky monstrosity...

I'll be emailing the site with some thoughts shortly. To not even respond to Emil's kind offers really rubs me the wrong way. No honor in that!