Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will The classics line replace the vintage line?

Will The classics line replace the vintage line?

Most of us here will always cherish the vintage toys as they were the toys we were most fond of during our childhoods.

But if the classics line were to make a classicised version of every toy in the vintage line, which one would you now prefer?

Classics or vintage?

Articulation or action features?

Like most, we have waited an eternia for this range of figures to come out but if I were to pick one or the other, I'd still pick the vintage line for some reason.

But what would you pick, vintage or classics? You can only pick one and give reasons
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

I would choose classics. As a kid, I was always very disapointed that my POP figures didn't fit in quite right with my MOTU figures. For me POP and MOTU were one and the same and classics is treating them as such.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I contemplated this just the other day. Vintage because it was THE line that made the memories for me. However, Classics would stand as strong because as an adult, I was able to buy everyone, and they made everyone (in part due to the fact the original line didn't). It's a crazy circle!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Elder Councilman
    Classics will in no way replace vintage for me, for the simple reason that the Classics line is simply an all-encompassing update of the previous lines.

I absolutely love the Classics line--don't get me wrong--but without the previous lines, there wouldn't be this line.

I actually find it somewhat annoying to hear folks say "this is the line I wanted when I was a kid".

Especially cause at the time there really weren't any lines anywhere close to like what Classics is today.

I would've never thought for five seconds back then that we'd get what we have now.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Had a bit more time to think, I guess why the vintage still rules in my head, putting nostalgia aside, is I loved the artwork which is sadly missing from the classics, also the smaller scale seemed to work better.

Last but not least, can you guys remember the new toy smell that came off every heman figure when you opened him
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    I actually find it somewhat annoying to hear folks say "this is the line I wanted when I was a kid".
    It annoys you to hear that there are those of us that have wished, since our childhood, that we had a MOTU line with the poseability of the old GI Joe line and that provided a single, all-encompassing, scale for all of the mis-matched MOTU lines?

I find that rather confusing, but okay.

Because when I was a kid, I DEPERATELY wanted a MOTU line with greater articulation and a uniform scale...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    the moment i got MOTUC he-man/beast man i knew i was done with vintage. I sold off everything but he-man and battlecat.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

Can't really compare them. They're two completely different things, now. I prefer the classics, of course, since that's the stuff I'm interested in, but the vintage line is now a collectable. Perhaps you don't like to mess around with them as much as the classics, but for many it won't be a "one or the other" situation, because they're still very distinct. One has that nostalgia factor, and the classic 80's flair of simplicity, and the other takes that nostalgia and brings it forward. I personally won't hunt down vintage figures, but I also won't be getting rid of a majority of the vintage ones I already own.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I always wanted knee and elbow articulation on old action figures that usually came with only 5 POA when I didn't even know about such articulation yet. I always thought it would be cool to be able do better poses like sitting, or having a gun halfway up in the air in a ready mode. Those POA weren't available yet back then on most 5" scale figures. G.I.Joe came to the Netherlands really late around 1987.
    I was severely disappointed about the MOTU 200X series because they had 8 POA that didn't include the so much wanted elbow & knee articulation.
    So, I'm really glad to have the first action figure toyline that I had as a kid, now finally with those knee and elbow articulation and so much more!
    I love the detailed sculpting as well!!! So I have to go with the Classics, even tho I miss some of the really cool action features.
    I do plan to re-buy a handful of the vintage again because of the action features! But MOTUC will be my main line to collect.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Its like comparing the original Super Mario to Halo 3.. Sure Mario's 8 bit and its not as flashy at Halo 3... But come on! It's Mario!
    Ehhh! Where's my beer!?!?

The smell of the summer of 1986 will be always in my mind as a part of my childhood. so i will never forget the vintage line.
    That feeling never comes back.

The old red cardīs are the stuff dreams were made of.

Last edited by Feast-Man; May 31, 2010 at 05:31pm.
    action features for action figures!

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I choose classics. I still liked the vintage ones, but they are like the first cars. You can collect classic cars, but you always prefer a modern Ferrari if you can.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Never! The vintage and the classics lines are different things and one will never replace the other (at least in my imaginarium). Besides, the Classics line would've never existed were it not for the vintage line.
    Let the power return!!

I'm eventually going to gather up my vintage stuff and sell it. I'll keep certain things such as grayskull, the battleram, and stuff like that. But I'll end up getting rid of most of it. Between the 200x stuff and the classics, I have no real care to own most of the vintage anymore.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    I think the classics line is great but I do not see anything ever being better than the vintage line. There is something about being the first no matter what the subject is or how much better the new thing is. Being the first always commands a respect that can only come from being the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    It annoys you to hear that there are those of us that have wished, since our childhood, that we had a MOTU line with the poseability of the old GI Joe line and that provided a single, all-encompassing, scale for all of the mis-matched MOTU lines?

I find that rather confusing, but okay.

Because when I was a kid, I DEPERATELY wanted a MOTU line with greater articulation and a uniform scale...
    Totally agreed. This is the thing, for me, that always puts Vintage MOTU so far down on the list, as toys go. I've always loved MOTU characters but nothing from the 80's appeals to me about it.

Had Classics been around during the 80's, I would have picked MOTU hands down over GI JOE, TF's, Star Wars, etc.

MOTUC is MOTU done right.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

Actually, MOTUC inspired me to complete my MOTU vintage figure collection (only missing Rotar and Twistoid for all US released figures now). The vintage line will always have the nostalgia factor for me, while classics is currently my favorite modern toy line to collect. I don't see classics as replacing the vintage line, I see it more as an evolution of the vintage line.
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

Classics line will never replace the Vintage line for me. I simply enjoy both of them for separate reasons. I would need a talk show to discuss all of the reasons though.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    You can collect classic cars, but you always prefer a modern Ferrari if you can.
    Not really. I prefer vintage musclecars '68-'74 over anything new. That's when cars were cars made of old-fashioned steel and guzzling gas.

As for the query at hand, I prefer the Classics line. I grew up with the vintage line and had many of them as a child. I even bought all of the Commemorative Series releases. But I have no desire to collect the vintage line now as an adult. The Classics is the epitome of what I wanted. Figures who are modern adaptations of the vintage character with more articulation and in many cases improved accessories. In spite of the headaches of trying to order them online this is stiil my preferred line to collect.

As for replacing the Vintage line as a whole, I don't think so. The vintage line will still be the line to which every other incarnation will be judged.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

MOTUC already has replaced vintage for me.

Annoying as it may be...this really IS the line I always wanted as a kid.

I wanted the cardback figures that looked nothing like the actual toys. My favorite toys as a kid were Megos simply because they were so poseable.

MOTUC finally gives us some MOTU figures we can DO something with. I remember half my original figures couldn't even stand up because of those stupid rubber band legs. Especially Beast Man...he was like a drunk. I'd line everybody up for battle, and he'd go face first into the carpet.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

For me Classics is a continuation of my MOTU collection that started with the 80s MOTU and was continued with POP, NA and 200X. I prefer Classics over all the others but I wouldn't say its replaced them as they are still as much a part of my MOTU collection as ever.
    Getting Classics Optikk has made me want to finish my NA collection but I cant find any at a sensible price on ebay.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozor View Post
    Its like comparing the original Super Mario to Halo 3.. Sure Mario's 8 bit and its not as flashy at Halo 3... But come on! It's Mario!
    THIS!

If they sold these figures side-by-side with the originals, all on card at target, assuming the 80's figures were 80's price increased for inflation, say 7-8 a piece, I would buy the classics over these in a heartbeat. I'd actually buy both, but would like the originals more.

I was in college during the re-release and had no money, so all i picked up was the BC/Heman pack.

I looooooove this new line, but He-man was the archetype action figure for me, and I think as a toy more than a collectible they are way cooler.

And as the above quote says, classics are classics for a reason. I have Wii, and have owned a Dreamcast with a roms disc, and have an emulator on my computer, but there's a reason I still drag out my NES to play some real games now and then. Can't beat the real thing.

Until MOTUC really starts blazing its own trail, it won't replace the original line.

Right now, it's too devoted to reproducing what we got with the '80s stuff. Slavish devotioin to nostalgia is OK sometimes, but I don't see enough progress being made with this line. And it's actually taking steps backwards in some areas.

200X already replaced vintage for me.

Love 'em both but if I had to choose, it would be vintage. One of the factors in this decision is all the vehicles and playsets we got with the vintage line which I fear just will not be available in MOTUC.

MOTUC will have the benefit - if done properly - of releasing characters we have always wanted, such as Marlena, Shadow Weaver, etc, but I doubt we will get the full range of awesome vehicles and playsets.

Plus, the added articulation is not a big issue for me and in fact I'd quite happily do without loose ankle joints I'd sacrifice articulation for action features any-day!