Page 1 of 117 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: ThunderCats 2011 Cartoon Discussion Thread

OFFICIAL: ThunderCats 2011 Cartoon Discussion Thread

http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...or-cn-in-2011/

I HATE the artwork. It looks like Lion-O imitating a Batman universe comic book..
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

I need to see more, but that looks awesome! Its a dark painting without much detail, but it looks very true to model - exactly what I'd like to see.

And it has a good lineage behind it:

“ThunderCats” is executive produced by Sam Register (“Teen Titans,” “Ben 10,” “Batman: The Brave and the Bold”). Michael Jelenic (“Batman: The Brave and the Bold,” “Wonder Woman”) and Ethan Spaulding (“Avatar: The Last Airbender”) are the producers.

True,

I just don't want a dark, brooding series that already starts with the destruction of Thundera.

This time around, though, I hope we spend more time on Thundera in the first few eps before it explodes, see what the planet is like, get to know it a bit better and then boom, gone.

I also hope they don't get voice imitators. Get someone who can do the voice rather naturally and evolve it from there. When you try and imitate someone, you can go in and out of the voice very easily, but if you have it naturally in you, it can come out better...

- I also hope, however doubt, that they'll get an orchestra to create the music like they did with other series. Remember how the classic Mumm-Ra theme was neatly updated for when the Lunatacks where brought on? That's all they need to do for this one....
    Geek Media -

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    One shot like that doesn't tell you everything. Overall, I'm pretty excited to hear that Thundercats is coming back to TV. It's a good series and I hope they get some good writers on the show. Thundercats can do so much and it would be cool getting into their mythology and history.

I also hope they will get to more characters.

This also means that ACTION FIGURES! are coming. You know if there is a cartoon, a toy line can't be far behind. Hopefully Mattel got their hands on them so the Four Horsemen can do something with them.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Looks fine, but I've had it up to here with yellow skies in all modern fantasy stuff.

Heroic Warrior Mystical Musician's Avatar
    I personally like the art....Can't wait to see what they do with it. Now how about a Thundercats "Classics" line!

Fabled Stones of Power?

So far thats my only complaint. Hope that idea gets scratched! Ooh hoo hoo. Hee hee hee. I kill me. Its a good thing I have nine lives. har-har-har *ACK* *COUGH*

Oops. Hairball. As far as I'm concerned, the teaser art is the cat's meow! It looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeat!

In all seriousness, I'm glad they let the cat out of the bag. It doesn't look like we are going to get that whole silly 'rockstars by day' Thundercats story of which rumors were floating around, so I'll hang in there baby
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; June 2, 2010 at 12:39pm.

I'm looking forward to this. It's great that ThunderCats is getting another shot.

The image looks good and fairly close to the original. The only part that bugs me is the sword. Why change the design? The Sword of Omens is iconic.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor

Court Magician sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    Having a nerdgasm just thinking about this...made my day.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
    This Japanese studio did the most amazing animation I ever seen, Tweeny Witches is just gorgeous to look at. I am very hopeful unlike the last attempted relaunch that thankfully never happened. Fingers crossed. Are we getting toys with this too?

I'm so spazzing.

Yep, just as I thought. First we had the staction news, then this. It seems that WB are trying to get Thundercats back out there, possibly for the purpose of creating the right sought of environment for an eventual movie release. I presume a new toy line will soon follow.

Anyway, this is fantastic news and I love the art style they seem to be going for. At least they’re not going ahead with that horrible rock band idea.

Mattel, Mattel, Mattel…… I really don’t know whether to laugh or cry for them. I love the Classics figures, but Mattel really need to try harder if they want He-Man back out there.

not much to go on but i like it so far.

stones of power? i am fine with that since in the old series they seemed to be fighting after some dif powerful object in each episode towards the end. at least this gives them a story arc and goal.

the MAIN thing is i guess we will be seeing toys soon and more than likely by Mattel. hopefully at SDCC we will see something.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Don't like it. Sick to death of all the "dark and brooding" garbage.

This looks very promising! I hope they work in the original music and use some of the original voice actors!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Huh. Good for Thundercats-fans. Must admit that I'm not all that excited about this, I'll check out the first ep to find out what it's about, but I won't be super-downed if it's not great.

I'm kind of a casual fan of Thundercats. Was always more into He-man, Transformers, Ghostbusters, and Ninja Turtles.

But man... this makes Mattel look quite PUNY! 0_o Thundercats is about to get a BIG new push, but they can't muster more than a small exclusive online toy-line? Weak.

Looks like Thundercats Meets Frank Frazetta (RIP). Let's hope it lasts longer than MYP's He-Man did.

I guess now the time has come to debate & discuss, who among our current voice acting talents should voice the Thundercats? Let's throw some names out -

Heroes

Lion-O - probably the hardest of the Thundercats to cast. Out of all the working class voice actors in the business right now, the only one I can think of who might work in the part is Michael Adamthwaite (Namor on Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, Thor in Next Avengers - crap film but he did a good job with the voice despite an unsympathetic portrayal - and Balder the Brave in Hulk Vs.)

Tygra - I think I'd have to give this one to Michael Donovan, using his King Randor voice from the 2002 MYP He-Man series. But Scott McNeil could probably do a good job as well if he used his Silverbolt voice. And, I might get flamed for this - Kevin Conroy (but not using his Batman voice).

Panthro - best candidates would be Keith David, Michael Dorn, Kevin Michael Richardson, Phil Lamarr (using his Green Lantern voice), Carl Lumbly, and/or Jonathan Adams (Martian Manhunter in "Justice League: Crisis on 2 Earths). Lamarr arguably does a better "tough guy" voice than Lumbly, but Lumbly's inflections sound a little closer to the tone of Earl Hyman, the original Panthro.

Cheetara - too many actresses to list really. Susan Eisenberg, Vanessa Marshall, Jennifer Hale, Grey DeLisle, Nicole Oliver...

Jaga - either David McCallum (Alfred in Gotham Knight, Zeus in Wonder Woman), Tom Kane (Magneto in Wolverine & the X-Men) or Jim Ward (Xavier in W&TXM - not a great series but damn what a cast)

Bengali - depends on whether or not you want him to sound young like early 20s or if it's more important to find an actor who can retain the raspy/gravelly voice Peter Newman used for him. I'd go for Jeff Glenn Bennett (using the Brooklyn voice from Gargoyles).

Lynx-O - see Jaga

Pumyra - for her I lean very much towards either Grey DeLisle or Lisa Anne Beley (Teela in the 2002 MYP He-Man series)

Wilykit & Wilykat - Maybe someone like Lacey Chabert, Tara Strong or Kath Souci (if she can still hit those high notes) for Kit, and I guess either Josh Keaton or James Arnold Taylor (of Spectacular Spider-Man) for Wilykat. Big question - do we actually want to the Thunderkitten twins to grow up this time, if the show lasts long enough?

Villains -

Mumm-Ra - probably the hardest villain to cast. If you just want pure evil & don't care if it sounds exactly like the late Earl Hammond's voice, I'd be more than happy to have someone like Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown or Richard Newman be the new Mumm-Ra.

Slythe - either Steve Blum (you may remember him as Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Beebop & in more recent times his Wolverine voice work) or Scott McNeil (using his Dinobot voice)

Monkian - probably Scott McNeil again (using his Beastman voice from 2002 MYP He-Man)

Jackalman - Mark Hamill? The guy makes a great villain.

Grune the Destroyer - Kevin Michael Richardson

Chilla of the Lunatacs - either Kathleen Barr (using her Evil-Lynn voice), Jennifer Hale, Venus Terzo (using her Black Arachnia voice from Beast Wars) or Kari Wahlgren (Amora in Hulk VS., Emma Frost on W&TXM)

That's all I got right now.
    Last edited by Lion-O; June 2, 2010 at 03:52pm.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Dang...

Thundercats
    Generator Rex
    Young Justice
    Batman the Brave & the Bold (although not my cup of tea)

Is cartoon network finally becoming the awesome creature it should have always been but only occasionally was?
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Thundercats was always thisclose to being awesome to me. The character designs were great, the opening credits were amazingly animated... but then the show itself never lived up to that and I always found it a chore to sit through. Hopefully, the new show will live up to the promise that the original held for me, but failed to live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion-O View Post
    Looks like Thundercats Meets Frank Frazetta (RIP). Let's hope it lasts longer than MYP's He-Man did.

I guess now the time has come to debate & discuss, who among our current voice acting talents should voice the Thundercats? Let's throw some names out - .
    I could see Kevin Conroy as Panthro, with a modified batman voice to sound a bit more like the original.

Oh, and Whil Wheaton as Wilykat... Make it so
    Geek Media -

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Is this going to be like comparing MYP to Filmation?

I'm almost afraid for the new show. Most fans have such high expectations for new ThunderCats media, any new choice is sure to fall short of the original version.

I'm going to wait and see. We can't go from a picture or animation studio description. I really hope Mattel gets the license and the 4H are sculpting these. Fans are always asking for ThunderCat Classics.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post

This also means that ACTION FIGURES! are coming. You know if there is a cartoon, a toy line can't be far behind. Hopefully Mattel got their hands on them so the Four Horsemen can do something with them.

Well, if they did don't expect the figures to hit retail. They'll be online exclusives and only available once a month where scalpers can buy up the entire stock in five minutes. I'd rather Hasbro or some other company that would make these figures retail handle it.

So far it sounds okay. I highly doubt the original Thundercats logo will stick and expect new theme music. Anyhow, just as long as the ludicrous idea of having the Thundercats being a musical band is completely out of the question, I'll give this one a chance. Maybe it'll be more successful than the MYP MOTU cartoon was and spawn a seven season history like another successful reboot, TMNT 2003/FF/BTTS. I'm all for a reboot of Thundercats as long as it doesn't deviate too far from the original concept.................like the terrible BSG 2003 series did.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I'm on the fence. I LOVE Thundercats, but "Anime style" brings back flashbacks of MOTU 200X.

Let's hope TCats fares better.....
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    I just recently picked up the full Thundercats series. I was intending on watching it when I completed vieiwing my MOTU related media. (However, I'm stuck since I don't have She-Ra Season 2)

I loved watching Thundercats before school back in the day, and I remember having my Snarff straw holder from BK to which I thought was awesome!

Now.. I don't have cable anymore, and I'm not sure if Cartoon Network airs their shows on their website.. I'm hopeful they will.. I have high hopes for a Thundercats show.. I'll pick up a couple toys if they look good.. but I won't get all of them like I do MOTUC.

I remember when I was younger.. a kid down the street wanted MOTU toys for christmas, and his parents got him Thundercats.. they didn't know the difference.

I'm excited though.. would prolly even pick up a licensed comic..

Thundercats HOOOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I highly doubt the original Thundercats logo will stick ...
    I expect the logo to be extremely close to the original. Its too iconic. Between the DVDs, comics, T-shirts, etc.

They might texture it up and modernize it that way, but I bet it'll stay very close to the original design.

I'm loving this! Love the teaser image!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog