Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 2,901 to 2,917 of 2917

Thread: OFFICIAL: ThunderCats 2011 Cartoon Discussion Thread

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I read some rumor on a Thundercats fan page on Facebook that there is supposed to be official word soon on the status of the series. Of course, since it's been virtually two months or more since WB bothered to comment and the toyline has zero new stuff coming out, I'd say it's been dead for awhile now.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    Last I heard the show is on the toonami block of adult swim wich I gues is better then not being reruned at all.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Last I heard the show is on the toonami block of adult swim wich I gues is better then not being reruned at all.
    Really? Does that mean Toonami has been revived in some form?
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Thundercats 2011: One year later.

Starting the show over from episode 1 on. Will my opinion of it change?

I will say this, after watching online interviews with the creative staff, no on had ANY idea *** they where doing! Which is why I am certain that 'Thundercats as a human rock band on modern day earth' idea was a SERIOUS pitch! apparently the WB staff had no idea what thundercats was, and handed it off to people who they thought could handle it.

The creative staff had to watch the series straight through 4 times to get even minor details right. They music guy was only allowed to use 15 second cues of classic songs due to legal issues, and called the old sound track "Cheesy 80s Rock". apparently he was instructed to make the music sound like a star wars/ star trek copy cat sound, which is exactly what it sounded like. The classic Thundertank theme is worth all of the shows new music combined as far as originality goes .

As for the writing, and why there where so many pointless episodes in the begining..apparently those came from production meetings and where being called 'creative'. Meanwhile, while the Thundercats where battling hogwart rip offs, Slythe was only in about 4 episodes at that point and we hadn't even gotten around to mumm-ra yet. Why save all your 'spectacular up and coming stories' when you can't even get the main plot off the ground?

It just seemed to me like this series was combining everything that was 'cool' from other series and trying to give it a third earth spin. The 'Triangle' romance was also mentioned as being brought in for just that reason, I think Twilight was the source of that bit of story laden 'genius'.

At least the new turtles series has one thing going for it. It's being done by fans, for fans. Many people on staff grew up with the original series and are nerdy about the property just like us. These guys running Thundercats where just winging it hopeing they got it right.

i won't even get into the pointless suits of armor lion-o and mumm-ra got when the power stones where collected. Power Rangers, anyone? Mumm-Ra never did any spells....as far as we know he just did magician stuff as a hobby. ugh. Amazing WB doesn't collapse into itself.

Edit - this did turn into more of a rant than a review, didn't it ?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Sorry, but I gotta disagree. I watched all 26 episodes of Thundercats and loved 21 of them. I watched 2 episodes of the new TMNT series and that was enough for me.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I've been re-watching the show on Toonami, which ironically has promoted ThunderCats more than CN did when it was in regular production even if the promos are only during the Toonami time slot, and I've enjoyed it just as much as the watching the show the first time around.

What were the "hogwarts rip-offs"? I don't recall that bit from the new series. That's a real shame about being limited to 15 second cues of the original series' score, it would have been nice to hear more. I did like the new series' approach to the main theme though, it fits the type of stories the show was telling.

The ThunderCats as a teenage rock band was an entirely different show project from the 2011 series, the news/rumors about it were from 6 years ago and fortunately this concept never came about.

As far as I'm aware, the romantic triangle of Lion-O, Tygra, and Cheetara has at least been apart of the ThunderCats fan speculation for a long while now (I don't recall if the original show hinted at it or not). The romantic triangle was certainly a component of the comics published by Wildstorm/DC beginning around 2002 -- that was 3 years before TWILIGHT was published.

As for taking cool bits from other popular properties and combining them, you just might want to borrow Mr. Peabody's WABAC Machine and drop in on the early 80s. The same thing could have been said about the original show, check out Cats (the musical) and the Star Wars movies for starters. Not that I'm complaining, I'm a big fan of space opera and and have always thought that ThunderCats is fantastic concept with first rate potential for any person or group willing to make an honest go at a show or movie (or even novels and comics).

I think what you may be missing is the big picture for the 2011 series, a case of not seeing the forest for the trees. The new ThunderCats show is a serial, the over arching story is supposed to be told over several installments, with plenty of other smaller stories along the way that either add to the adventure or help develop the characters in some way. One of the producers and developers of the new series was Ethan Spaulding -- chances are you don't recognize him by name but you'll certainly have heard of the series he worked on; Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The core story of A:TLA was for Aang to confront Firelord Ozai and put an end to the century of conquest the Fire Nation had been on. But the show was a serial and to tell that overall story the show's creators spent 3 seasons and 61 episodes getting there. By the end of the first season, the heroes were no were near to confronting the Firelord.

Spaulding and the others working on the new ThunderCats show had laid it out as a serial and apparently were following a similar structure to A:TLA with the over-arching story taking place across 2 or 3 seasons. From what I've seen myself I believe that the team working on the new ThunderCats show were not only fans of the original series but also fans of (or at least highly enthused with) Rankin-Bass's other adventure shows SilverHawks and TigerSharks as both of those properties were set up in the episode "Legacy" for later appearances in ThunderCats. (They certainly made for worthwhile additions to build up the over all universe of the new show)

Yeah it would have been nice to actually see Mumm-Ra use magic more often, perhaps we would have seen more of that in the second season either because it was planned that way or because the show's team had taken note of what the fan communities were saying. The first season certainly wasn't devoid of Mumm-Ra's magic though -- if I recall correctly wasn't Mumm-Ra magically disguised as Panthro in the premiere, he trapped Jaga in that lantern, transformed himself into a crow to follow Lion-O into the astral plane to go after the first stone, Mumm-Ra resurrected the Sycora's body and possessed it to attack the ThunderCats, and Mumm-Ra used the Ancient Spirits of Evil to resurrect and enslave Pumyra. Truly, most of that magic usage happens without any big set-up, unlike when Mumm-Ra changed to his Ever Living form in the original show, so perhaps a little more flash & dazzle would have a long way in highlighting Mumm-Ra's magic use.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; November 30, 2012 at 03:06am.

Being a show from the 80s at most there was subtle flirting between characters. The 80s for the most part didn't want to have that kind of stuff in their shows because they were afraid it would either freak boys out and they would tune out, or be afraid of parents who had lines in the sand. Mostly it was the first. Another issue with most 80s shows was as you put it the more serial nature we get now, by and large you could watch most of the episodes in any order you wanted and it wouldn't affect the story. Even those that do have cross over from a previous episode continuity often had continuity problems.

One of the real problems most of the more 80s fans had is story telling for cartoons has changed over the years, largely due to one complaint with shows from that era and before the villains become laughable as do the heroes when they keep butting heads and nothing is changed. As I recall TMNT 2003 Shredder didn't show up for awhile and wasn't in every episode and the show lasted awhile. But while the show was successful many 80s fans complained of lack of Bebop and Rocksteady but still the show was successful.

But as I recall ratings for the Thundercats 2011 weren't the problem they were at acceptable levels and spiked when they changed the time slot. The problem was the toyline faltered.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    I really like the new TMNT series but it is not even close to how much I liked this new Thundercats series.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    One of the producers and developers of the new series was Ethan Spaulding -- chances are you don't recognize him by name but you'll certainly have heard of the series he worked on; Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The core story of A:TLA was for Aang to confront Firelord Ozai and put an end to the century of conquest the Fire Nation had been on. But the show was a serial and to tell that overall story the show's creators spent 3 seasons and 61 episodes getting there. By the end of the first season, the heroes were no were near to confronting the Firelord.

Spaulding and the others working on the new ThunderCats show had laid it out as a serial and apparently were following a similar structure to A:TLA with the over-arching story taking place across 2 or 3 seasons. From what I've seen myself I believe that the team working on the new ThunderCats show were not only fans of the original series
    The problem is Avatar gave a more diverse world and fleshed out the firelord and the fire nation throughout the series, Thundercats didn't do that. not nearly as well at least. For the first season they set Zuko up as the main antagonist and also added in several layers, Thundercats didn't have that same depth and strength of storytelling. Not even close, it TRIED to be avatar but it truly didn't capture the right formula.

Now this is being said from someone who ENJOYED the new show, I was NEVER a fan of the original, but for me the new one took too long to get going, Avatar never felt that way, Thundercats got into gridlock too many times, Avatar may have slowed down at parts, but never at a frustrating level.

most of this is just opinion, but I believe that the strength of Avatar point I made is fact, Thundercats just wasn't written as strongly to follow that same formula.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post

One of the real problems most of the more 80s fans had is story telling for cartoons has changed over the years, largely due to one complaint with shows from that era and before the villains become laughable as do the heroes when they keep butting heads and nothing is changed. As I recall TMNT 2003 Shredder didn't show up for awhile and wasn't in every episode and the show lasted awhile. But while the show was successful many 80s fans complained of lack of Bebop and Rocksteady but still the show was successful.
    this is where i differ from most fans . I was and still am a die hard of the original 80s show. I loved the 2003 show from the start. and while i would have liked a few more nods to the 80s series, it had enough fun stuff to stand on it's own as if the 80s series never happened. That's not really the case with the new thundercats.

I have no problem with the reversal in technology. Mutants having it but thundercats being primitive. that was kind of cool. But Mumm-Ra is all over the place and it takes away from his unique nature that he had in the 80s series. That Mumm-Ra didn't need technology to survive and openly scoffed at it. This new one can't seem to do anything without it and seems much weaker because of it. and the wings addition just scoffs as 'lets put it on there because it looks cool' ;o)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Yeah it would have been nice to actually see Mumm-Ra use magic more often, perhaps we would have seen more of that in the second season either because it was planned that way or because the show's team had taken note of what the fan communities were saying. The first season certainly wasn't devoid of Mumm-Ra's magic though -- if I recall correctly wasn't Mumm-Ra magically disguised as Panthro in the premiere, he trapped Jaga in that lantern, transformed himself into a crow to follow Lion-O into the astral plane to go after the first stone, Mumm-Ra resurrected the Sycora's body and possessed it to attack the ThunderCats, and Mumm-Ra used the Ancient Spirits of Evil to resurrect and enslave Pumyra. Truly, most of that magic usage happens without any big set-up, unlike when Mumm-Ra changed to his Ever Living form in the original show, so perhaps a little more flash & dazzle would have a long way in highlighting Mumm-Ra's magic use.

that's the problem though. mumm-ra wasn't in enough shows for the new audience coming into thundercats blind to really know who he was or what he could do. in the first few episodes of the original series, the first three mostly, we got to see quite a bit of what he was capable of . he didn't have to transform or blast shafts of light and then retreat from battle to be cool. it was the atmosphere surrounding him, his design, voice and over all present-ness that made him a unique character from his very first line.

I don't get the same from this new one. I can't help but wonder if because we have the advantage of the original series, we are just being bitter. I'm curious how a kid, having no idea what thundercats was before, thinks of this new mumm-ra...and then, after seeing that, getting exposed to the original and find out which one he thinks is cooler...could make an interesting youtube video

I just think all around presentation, he was cooler, braver, and stronger in the original series than in the new one.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

It looks like the complete series will be coming to blu-ray in November:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15308

Hey guys, I run thundercatslair.org and we're busy gathering more info on the upcoming Blu-ray release of the ThunderCats 2011 series. We're looking into whether the discs will be region free or not, and whether there are any special features included.

In the meantime you can pre-order the set here:

ThunderCats 2011 series on Blu-ray
    Site Director of ThunderCats.Org

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Just pre-ordered mine!!! I really enjoyed this series and was bummed it got short. Not as fun as the original but still pretty entertaining and the animation was really solid Thundercats HO!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait for this to come out, I was wondering if it would ever get a Blu Ray release.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'll pick up the Blu-Ray set, even though I already have the DVDs.

I wish the 200X MOTU cartoon could get the same treatment! I realize that T-Cats was on the air more recently, but still since it was so short lived and the fact that it's been a couple of years since it was on, it seems like a roughly equal risk IMO.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I'll pick up the Blu-Ray set, even though I already have the DVDs.

I wish the 200X MOTU cartoon could get the same treatment! I realize that T-Cats was on the air more recently, but still since it was so short lived and the fact that it's been a couple of years since it was on, it seems like a roughly equal risk IMO.
    The 200X cartoon would improve some with an upconversion to HD, but its not great.

We did it with a couple episodes as a test back in the day, and while it definitely helped with a few things, there were other issues. For example, you could sometimes see the pencil drawings underneath the color in some backgrounds.

I've just got this and can confirm it is Region Free or leasts plays on UK Blu-Ray players fine
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26