Page 14 of 117 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: ThunderCats 2011 Cartoon Discussion Thread

I hadn't had a chance to watch the whole thing - the color palette gets more vibrant in different lighting, which is good. It started off heavy on the amber. Then heavy on the blue. I like this sort of atmospheric use of color (it's nice and sophisticated) but it can get oppressive over the full length of something. Thankfully, as I watched further (especially during Tygra and Lion-O's battle) I noticed that they do let the colors breathe when there is more neutral lighting.

I'm really liking the animation. I'm wondering how they'll keep this level of animation up. How many episodes is this supposed to be?

Also - about the weird vibe that this could somehow be a sequel to the first series... it is odd how that works, isn't it? I thought the same thing. Although it'd be a little odd that they just HAPPEN to have descendents with the exact same names who have to fight Mumm-Ra again.

Oh, and I just saw this book was coming out:

Which looks and sounds pretty cool. I just pre-ordered it myself. It's being published by Telos, whom I mostly know for Doctor Who related stuff. They are a UK publisher so it's not readily available in the US yet. BUT, I used my UK book hook-up ( www.thebookdepository.com ) to order it. They have free shipping around the world! They are having a special deal where you can get 10% off too which means you can get it for a little over $18 shipped! If anyone wants me to send them the e-mail for the offer PM me and I'll send you it.
    Last edited by JonWes; July 3, 2011 at 11:30pm.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Just watched it, LOVED it! So far, so good! Ive come to terms that it will NEVER be my beloved original, nothing IMO could ever be as good or original as that. But for what its worth, seeing my dear old friends fighting Mumm-Ra once more has made me a kid all over again in a way MOTU200X never could via poor marketing and kids not knowing about it. This is truely going to be multi-generational, and with juggernauts WB and BANDAI, this is going to be a winner.

I truly love how they are embracing both series with figures, posters etc. Now if we get a cereal........ I will be very fat and probably die. Bring on the cereal!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

you know, I thought he said 'our ancestors where the first to battle mumm-ra'. Nothing about coming to this planet. But even so, it could open it up as a sequel to the original, which I Think is even better than a re-imagine..

And while we may never get an official soundtrack release of the original show..what this guy put up is ALMOST spot on...The Mumm-Ra theme is a tad off..though. I wish I knew what program he used so I can take a crack at it..
    Last edited by Shredder; July 4, 2011 at 12:38am.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post

I truly love how they are embracing both series with figures, posters etc. Now if we get a cereal........ I will be very fat and probably die. Bring on the cereal!

Does this mean the Thundercats Classics figures will be available in stores too? I want a classic Lion-O. Or is it only going to be an exclusive at the stupid comic con?!

The preview was pretty cool. It would be AWESOME if this could function as a sequel to the original, BUT the big continuity error would be that the Thunderan race re-populated NEW THUNDERA the planet at the end of the original series, unless a contingent remained on Third Earth and populated that planet with another sect of Thunderans.

Either way, I want to see this new series SOON.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I really hope Panthro throws frying pans at the bad guys in this new series.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Does this mean the Thundercats Classics figures will be available in stores too? I want a classic Lion-O. Or is it only going to be an exclusive at the stupid comic con?!
    The Classics line will be in stores. The exclusive just has a different paint job and an extra accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    So, I take it you missed the promo a few months back with the GIANT ROBOTS in it?
    I'm not sure what that means in regards to my quote.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I'm really liking the animation. I'm wondering how they'll keep this level of animation up. How many episodes is this supposed to be?
    I would wager at least 26-52 episodes if not more, you don't spend this much on a show to have it run 13 episodes
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Just watched it, looks good. A bit jumpy but it's pieces of the movie/episode. One of the hooded figures looks like Cheetara and could explain why she is following him she is a bodyguard set to him.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Great preview, I'm surprised at how good this has turned out; I will definitely be tuning in for the premiere. Thought I heard Corey Burton in there as the mob leader, but I might be wrong.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Finished watching the 9 min, all I can say is hype level x 10000000

I am really starting to wonder if this is more of a sequel, like this is a multi generation Lion-O.

And I don't care if people don't like the change to Snarf, I thought he was adorable and humorous. All he was in the original was annoying. He acts just like one of our aloof fraidy cats
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    And I don't care if people don't like the change to Snarf, I thought he was adorable and humorous. All he was in the original was annoying. He acts just like one of our aloof fraidy cats
    ....what show were you watching? I must admit I haven't finished watching all of the 80's one (I've almost finished watching all of Season One), but Snarf was no fraidy cat. In the first episodes (6, maybe?) HE's the one who goes running around attacking the bad guys and leaping on their faces like a strong guy. I was shocked, because I always thought he was supposed to be scared of everything, but he was like a "tough guy with something to prove." He was very much the anti-Cringer. Later on, they started to make him scared of stuff and not willing to do things which didn't gel well with his original characterization (but he did save the Thundercats from Mumm-Ra all by himself a handful of times).

I DID like Snarf in the original and didn't find him annoying, really. I find Jackleman and Vultureman annoying though. ESPECIALLY Vultureman (who randomly appears out of nowhere and isn't explained ).

I like to view Snarf as a Thundercat elder, basically. He's pretty much the only parent Lion-O has known. He protects him, guides him, passes on wisdom and gives him the love of a parent. Now, he's Pikachu. He is cute and he worked fairly well in the episode, but I can't see it being a winner for the whole series...just like when they neutered Cringer of his voice in MYP. They did a REALLY good job with him in 1-2 episodes, but he was a prop in the rest. It's like if they made Orko, Tinkerbell.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    you know, I thought he said 'our ancestors where the first to battle mumm-ra'. Nothing about coming to this planet. But even so, it could open it up as a sequel to the original, which I Think is even better than a re-imagine..
    Lion-O's dad said something to the effect of "we brought order to a war-torn world" which is very vague but could conceivably be a reference to their arrival from space. I don't think it's a literal sequel, not with all the same names of characters with pretty much the same relationships (thinking of Jaga + Lion-O + Snarf + Cheetara here), but it feels like a very strong homage and I like that they might have worked in Thundera without having to retell the exodus right out of the gate. It's cool that we now get to see the Thundercats as an empire and not just a small group of survivors.

Avatar the Last Airbender had pretty strong animation like this, and it only got better over the course of the series. It also had a finite story, and was resolved after only three seasons. I hope we'll get a longer run here, but a similarly strong one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Whoa!!! You made me feel guilty for saying the Ro-Bear Berbils voices were annoying but you're going to trash the "real" Snarf?

SNARF YOU!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Ohhh I'm so excited after watching that preview!
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Whoa!!! You made me feel guilty for saying the Ro-Bear Berbils voices were annoying but you're going to trash the "real" Snarf?
    Oh yeah, the Ro-Bear Berbils! I don't hate them...I hate their voices. I have to put subtitles on to understand everything they say!

I forgot to mention something in my previous post! I really like this new cartoon, but, is it just me or does this not feel like Thundercats? It feels like a Final Fantasy cartoon the Thundercats are in. Castle/Kingdom...heroes and misfits/theives that band together...the game they're playing in the stadium like Blitzball...adopoted brothers.

The original Thundercats was tragedy, space travel, trying to live in a strange, new world. I'm sure this new series will touch on some of those things, but I just found it as little bizarre that it was very Final Fantasy-like to me. Again, I'm not complaining because I LOVE Final Fantasies (games, movies and TV series).

About the toys, am I the ONLY one seriously upset that the only way to get the Snarf figure is to buy the Thunder Tank?!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I forgot to mention something in my previous post! I really like this new cartoon, but, is it just me or does this not feel like Thundercats? It feels like a Final Fantasy cartoon the Thundercats are in. Castle/Kingdom...heroes and misfits/theives that band together...the game they're playing in the stadium like Blitzball...adopoted brothers.
    That's basically why I said I was going to wait until July 29th before giving my opinion. It really seemed, from the brief 9 minute clip, to be Thundercats in name only. This is going to be a really obscure reference, but it felt more like the CrossGen Comics series Scion than the Thundercats to me...

When I think of Thundercats, I think of the jungles of Third Earth and not something out of a renaissance fair.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I have been posting in the Silverhawks thread and after looking on wikipedia I can see how the producers can fit Silvehawks into Thundercats. Mon*Star is given this description;
    He appears as a feline muscular humanoid with dark hair streaked with red over all the body, a voluminous red mane and beard and an eyepatch (with the symbol of a black star) covering his left eye
    Going by that, Mon*Star could actually be a Thundercat.

Just in case some people don't know what I am talking about;

For the life of me I cannot find the interview but this is a direct quote by producer Ethan Spaulding;

When a fan asked about fellow Rankin-Bass series "SilverHawks," Spaulding said, "You should keep an eye out."

This is going to be a really obscure reference, but it felt more like the CrossGen Comics series Scion than the Thundercats to me...

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0...cion_large.jpg
    Never heard of it, but it certainly LOOKS like the cover (outfits).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I have been posting in the Silverhawks thread and after looking on wikipedia I can see how the producers can fit Silvehawks into Thundercats. Mon*Star is given this description;

For the life of me I cannot find the interview but this is a direct quote by producer Ethan Spaulding;
    Never heard of him (never watched SilverHawks), but I guess it could be! He sort of looks like Pumm-Ra (I think was his name on Thundercats). He was the friend (and then arch-enemy) of Jaga.

Here's Mon*Star for everyone in the dark, like I was!

He transforms like Mumm-Ra into this thing:

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post

Wow. Now THAT is awesome. I'd be all for it if they connected the two series together like that.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Speaking of fitting Rankin-Bass action cartoons into the over all 'world' of Thundercats, anyone recall TigerSharks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TigerSharks

It was one of the rotating shows on R/B's The Comic Strip. I guess that's why it's not nearly as well remembered as ThunderCats and SilverHawks, just not as much presence with only 26 episodes. There's only a couple videos of the intro on Youtube, this one is in better quality but the uploader has stuck a 10 second ad for their website on it. If you let the video load up first you can skip to the opening starting at about 11 seconds.

Last edited by Captain Marvel; July 4, 2011 at 11:24pm.

I'd definitely be up for them linking Thundercats and Silverhawks. It would be a good way of introducing kids into Silverhawks, if they could somehow show up in Thundercats as guest stars.

Touche

I always likes MonStar because cruises around space on the back of a giant space squid.

Even though I preferred the Thundercats to the SilverHawks(although I liked them both), I always liked Mon*Star more than Mumm-Ra.

JOIN THE GROUP...