Thread: Barbie vs. He-Man Comparison

Barbie vs. He-Man Comparison

If this has already been posted here somewhere--my apologies. I never saw this before. My wife texted it to me and it made me laugh. So, I thought I'd share it.

image.jpeg

I've seen this before on Facebook and enjoyed it.

Us guys need to get to work!!

Heroic Warrior
    just now seeing this thread.

People have a problem with Barbie? really?

Isn't she some kind of all time selling or all time money maker in some way shape or form?

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post

Isn't she some kind of all time selling or all time money maker in some way shape or form?
    Over the years it's been a complaint that she has an unrealistic build, and that girls might harm themselves trying to achieve her figure or otherwise feel bad about their own appearance.

This may be a controversial statement but I'll say it anyways: growing up and especially after hitting my teen years I've heard many times about how men have unrealistic expectations of what women should look like. But as I've grown and learned through experience I've found that the biggest culprit when it comes to body shaming is by FAR other women/girls. Add to that unrealistic media presented expectations of how women should look or what's considered "attractive" is controlled by the fashion industry and is NOT the shared opinion of the vast majority of men.

Court Magician
    I wish the HeMan franchise had as long a lifespan as Barbie

Whats the difference between these two Icons ? Why does Barbie get to be multi generational ?
    Last edited by Lokus; December 5, 2016 at 12:22pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    IWhats the difference between these two Icons ? Why does Barbie get to be multi generational ?
    Because Barbie adapts to the times. He-Man not so much...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceMarmot View Post
    If this has already been posted here somewhere--my apologies. I never saw this before. My wife texted it to me and it made me laugh. So, I thought I'd share it.
    I see the idea, but this is false equivalency.

Women have body image problems because of constant media bombardment based upon societies' ideals for beauty (looking like a supermodel). Men don't have this body image problem because there are other sizes that are shown for them. Every guy in media (every magazine, every commercial, every movie, every advertisement, etc.) isn't musclebound and ripped.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Women have body image problems because of constant media bombardment based upon societies' ideals for beauty (looking like a supermodel). Men don't have this body image problem because there are other sizes that are shown for them. Every guy in media (every magazine, every commercial, every movie, every advertisement, etc.) isn't musclebound and ripped.
    I agree with everything but this. It's not society, it's media, fashion, and entertainment. Real people enjoy all shapes and sizes.

There was a facebook post not too long ago where a small guy was trying on his girlfriends "XL" clothes...found it: WARNING language in the text

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/05/11/benjamin-ashton-cooper-womens-sizing_n_9909606.html

Even he goes on to say "men". But that's what society and media say too. Us men are the reason while we continue to marry and love all kinds of women.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

For many years, it was thought that men accounted for only about 10% of cases of eating disorders. But this estimate, based on people in treatment, is now believed to be way off the mark. A growing body of research suggests as many as 40% of people with these conditions are male. With regard to body image, the sexes are more equivalent than many people think.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I've seen this before, but it still funny (and spot on).

One time on Facebook, a female FB friend posted an article or something about this Barbie controversy (it might have been about those dolls that were being made with more "realistic" female bodies), and she stated how Barbie made her feel self conscious growing up or something akin to that. Joking around (just for fun, not to be mean or anything), I replied saying something like, "I know what you mean. When I was growing up, I felt very self-conscious that I wasn't a mutated turtle."

In the name of the Lloyd!

The whole Barbie controversy kind of annoys me. Now they're talking about giving Amy Schumer the role as Barbie.

That would be like casting Seth Rogan to play He-man. What's so wrong with encouraging people to stay healthy and in shape?
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdude

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    What's so wrong with encouraging people to stay healthy and in shape?
    People don't like being lectured even if it's for their own good.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I wouldn't say Barbie was healthy or in shape. There are interesting articles online that translate Barbie's proportions onto a real 5'7 woman: not only would she be anorexic, but her waist would be a ridiculous 16"! (US average is 35") Her neck would also be half the width of normal neck and her feet would be children's size 3. Overall, a real life Barbie would be incapable of walking or even supporting her own weight, and would literally have no room for internal organs (I guess she would just carry them in a bedazzled pink backpack).

As for He-Man, his body type is not only unrealistic (there's another thread here about that), but also not functional for what he is supposed to be (the strongest man in the universe). If you want strength, he'd look more like the guys in strongman competitions (think The Mountain from Game of Thrones) which would sacrifice some of the definition (good bye, chiseled abs). He-Man is more of a body builder type, which is a body type developed to look good not to be as strong as possible. And of course that's hardly healthy either...

Both are unrealistic really, and a small correction would be in order. Especially in any live action movie or TV show. I actually like Amy Schumer as Barbie (I am not sure if that casting is final, but I heard the news too). "Healthy and in shape" is a very good goal, but Barbie would need to be changed to become healthy and in shape looking. For, He-Man, well, that's a little different because we are talking about a fantasy world with crazy characters, but I never thought of his body builder physique as a defining characteristic of what He-Man is (I know, heresy! )

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Now they're talking about giving Amy Schumer the role as Barbie.

That would be like casting Seth Rogan to play He-man.
    That is a little different, because of the premise of the Barbie film. In the proposed movie, Barbie is banished from her perfect animated world because she does not fit in. Once in the real world, she will learn to cherish her uniqueness, and return to her animated world in order to save it. Schumer will voice Barbie in the animated parts of the film, as well as play Barbie in the live-action parts of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post

Barbie has been at the center of years and years of controversy over her looks, appeal, and the message she gives young girls.

Mattel is gearing up to offer Barbie in four varieties (body styles) for young girls to choose from: standard, curvy, petite, and tall. (Other changes include making her feet flat and reducing her chest size...) This is supposed to help girls feel more included, no matter their shape, and end the controversy over Barbie's unrealistic physique... only time will tell...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!