Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

Hybrid View

Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

I love the comic series,but when I heard about the tv show,I wasn't sure what to think. The amc site has zombie pics though. They look okay,but wonder what kind of gore it will have. I know it's cable,but it's still cable.
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...ion-begins.php

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I love the comic and I hope this tv series can capture that same magic. It does look like it is in very capable hands though

I absolutely love the graphic novels. They're some of the most disturbing and gripping that I've ever read. I still remember powering through 60 issues in a weekend.

With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this series. Having Kirkman helping out on it is a good sign, but I honestly can't see how they could get away with half the stuff they do in the comics (much of which, while utterly troubling to see/read as the reader, I found made the series that much more powerful).

And I'm not just talking about blowing a zombie's brains out. We've all seen that before. I mean the fairly graphic and purposefully shocking scenes of family suicides, the horrible things deranged people can do to their own kind (no way can the Governor appear in this as anything other than a shadow of his comic self), and child death. That's some hard stuff, even for a network like HBO to try and deal with.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Well the promo shots are impressive. This could turn out okay. Romero's last few zombie movies have been real stinkers.

As a diehard zombie fanatic, I'm very excited for this!

How long until Zombies go down the Twilight path?

I'm with Team Brains-oozing-down-the-side-of-his-face

anybody want to win a chance to be a zombie?
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...weepstakes.php

also some cast images here:
    http://io9.com/5593242/walking-dead-gallery
    Last edited by bcbsdrg; July 23, 2010 at 01:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    How long until Zombies go down the Twilight path?

I'm with Team Brains-oozing-down-the-side-of-his-face
    When that happens, I riot.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I love the ess out of the comics and the cast photos look dead on! I'm throwing a zombie party for the premier... whenever that is! Zombie is the new vampire!

AMC is the good times.

Holy cow, has anyone else seen the trailer for this yet?? I can't post it due to some language in the video itself, but it's easy enough to find.

It looks fantastic. I can't even say how happy I am with what I saw. Completely messed up post-outbreak scenary, great zombies acting like zombies are supposed to, and some nice little character moments.

I am totally stoked for this series!
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Just finished watching episode 2!! It was EXCELLENT!!! There was a ton of action and the episode introduced a bunch of new characters. This episode seemed to stray a bit further from the original comics than the first episode, but did not make it any less awesome. I'm a big fan of the casting of this show so far. Laurie Holden for Andrea is perfect!!! The kid that is playing Glen is great too

Sunday night used to be my least favorite time of the week with a work week looming over me and trash night to make it worse. Now, thanks to the Walking Dead, I actually look forward to it How sick am I???

So, who's hungry?

Great episode. Glenn is definitely going to be a favorite character of mine.

My brother went nuts with the red Challenger at the end, too, because that's exactly what his car is. Same model, color, and stripes.
    and keep moving forward.

Last night's episode was in-tense. Sooo much apprehension as the two were heading to the truck covered in guts.

Just watched Episode 3 twice!!! I enjoyed this episode more than episode 2, slightly. It was great to see some of the human drama unfold, rather than a full hour of zombie carnage (although I DO love zombie carnage)! I stated that this series was my favorite show currently airing after only watching the pilot. Now I can safely say that my statement holds true!! I absolutely LOVE this show!! I cannot get enough! I'm sad that there will only be 6 episodes in season one. It is renewed for season 2 already! I hope they start filming right away so that we do not have to wait for nearly a year to get Season 2!!!!

Holy cow, that intro was intense. I actually felt pretty bad for Merle; that was just a horrible, nightmarish situation to be in.

The rest of the episode was superb, too. In my opinion, on par with the first episode. The human drama was great, and seeing the Grimes together was perfect. Carl's going to be the man for sure, and the boy is definitely doing a great job in the role. Dale is also fantastic.

And without giving anything away, I understand the point behind the scene at the end and saying, "Wow, so-and-so's starting to lose it," but come on. That dude TOTALLY had that coming, and having known someone like that in the past, I have no qualms about seeing that happen to him.
    and keep moving forward.

Widget

impressed

just caught last nights episode-4, had to wait for the itunes download, and I continue to be impressed with the adaptation. Ive been reading TWL as trades for a year or two, and was a bit curious to see how far this season would make it. Seems like they will wrap up with the first trade, hope they don't bail on how "days gone by" ended. I've been reading a fair amount of "purist" reviews that get whiny at every little change. Changes are inevitable, considering the translation of medium. Not sure how heavy Kirkmans hand is in production of the series, I know he's an exec prod and penned the 4th ep, but I would consider being able to return to the beginning and retell the story a opportunity, a chance to improve the narrative. If anything I think the show at this point is better then the comic, the characters are more fleshed out, as is the environment. I recently flipped through the first trade and comparing the sequence of comic to show of Rick waking up in the hospital to when he and morgan part ways, the show has it hands down. The essence of the comic is there and strong.

zombie wise the work has been great. I'm in agreement with an earlier poster that zombies shouldn't show emotion including anger, but thats a preference. and the governing nature of the infection hasn't been established. they are pretty agile, but nothing too crazy. the actions that indicate shades of their previous human existence are fine so far, if its grabbing a favorite stuffed bear or returning to a important place ok, if they start showing intelligence and problem solving then I'll take issue. I'm chalking the rock smashing the glass door as up to coincidence for now, rather than deliberate act. I would prefer limited motor skills, so ladder and fence climbing should be out, but again personal preference.

I'm a bit of a zombie enthuisiast so I'm usually pretty snobbish about my zombie media. TWL is impressive so far.

Episodes 1 and 2 were promising, but 3 was dismal! I'm okay with deviating from the books to a degree, but not if they"re just going to introduce tired stereotypes and spend so much time showcasing them. Oh racists rednecks. Wife-beater. How original. Hated it! I was put off by the preview for the fourth episode. Basically, I felt like "Oh. So this is just inspired by the book. But the story with the Vatos didn't go how I expected it, so I was somewhat surprised. Before this started, my friends and I were speculating on how this first season would go and my friend Dave optimistically speculated that this season would end with them finding the prison. But they're dragging this out so much, I don't even think we'll get to "the shooting." (Trying not to spoil things too much.) Kind of frustrating. I'm sure I'll stick with it until the 6th episode, but after that? We'll see.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In fairness, Robert and Tony had completed that scenario before 28 Days Later came out. It was just really weird timing that two zombie properties around the same time had the same coma thing in it.
    I thought this myself. The movie was released before the book was published, so yeah basically the same time. Same thing kind of happened with Fantastic Four. A lot of people were not familiar with it and thought it was a rip off of the Incredibles

Quote Originally Posted by MOTS View Post
    I would prefer limited motor skills, so ladder and fence climbing should be out, but again personal preference.
    Yeah I thought it was strange when she tried to turn the door knob/brick on the glass/climb the ladder. Seems like someone on the writing staff had watched Land of the Dead (retaining motor skills). I can take that or leave it.

All in all though I have REALLY enjoyed it. I found the first two volumes of comics at an airport so I got them to read on the way home. I was blown away. When I got back I went straight to Borders and spent 200 bucks on the rest of them (Which will be up for sale shortly at a discounted rate ). I'm about halfway through them. When I pick one up and I can't put it down until I finish the book.

So far I'm blown away by the comic. I'm not a big zombie fan per se, but I love zombie survival. Me and some friends always sort of joke around when we go somewhere about "ok if the zombie attack happens, where is our safe point". Or if someone wants to go somewhere with a lot of people and I don't want to go my excuse is "I don't want to be around that many people when the zombie attack happens". Nothing serious, but it is a LOT of fun to joke around with. I even keep the Zombie Survival Guide at work on my shelf with all my reference books.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Episode #5: Wildfire is going to air today!
    One more episode afterwards and season 1 is done.
    I'm looking forward to season 2 which is going to be 13 eps!
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Any thoughts on last nights episode? It was very "walker" light, there was more character development on this one. Also the shot at the end where the door opened, felt a lot like when Lock finally got that hatch open... very good stuff, too bad the next season wont start for almost a year.

I find myself... not really disappointed, but surprised that Shane is still alive. I've been looking forward to the scene where he tries to kill Rick and Carl kills him, but it looks like they've decided to extend the Rick/Shane segment. I know there are changes and I don't mind. That's just such a powerful moment in the storyline, so I wonder if it'll happen.

Along that thought, I wonder if we'll ever see Rick lose his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RockthePlank View Post
    Any thoughts on last nights episode? It was very "walker" light, there was more character development on this one. Also the shot at the end where the door opened, felt a lot like when Lock finally got that hatch open... very good stuff, too bad the next season wont start for almost a year.
    Almost a year?! Ah, man... That's going to be a long wait.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Widget
    I've really appreciated the way they are drawing out the tension. Like back in the first episode Rick doesnt encounter a full zombie untill he finds the bike, where as in the book he opens those doors in the hospital to find a room full of them almost right off the bat. The change worked really well. In the book Dale warns Rick about Shane as soon as Rick shows up at the camp with Glenn, wouldn't seem natural in the show. If they draw out the rick/ shane tension for another episode or two, great, just hope it ends fairly similar. Just not sure of how it would go down now since the setting/ sequence took a big turn in the last episode.

Show is more believable overall, they are definatelt practicing more stealth and resourcefullness then in the books.

For a sec I thought the Morales character and fam were substitutes for Allen Donna and the twins, but doesnt seem that way now.

Just saw there is a casting for Tyrese (while looking up Morales name), so glad T-Dogs not a tyrese fill in. Though I can't see a romance happening between t.v.'s Carol and Tyrese whenever he shows up.

Despite whatever changes, they are still hitting some of the major points. Andrea caps Amy. Jim requests to sit out his death. And not to be taken the wrong way, but I was glad to see the camp thinned out.

Two things do have me a little worried. I think it would be good to just leave Merle out from here, maybe they find the truck at some point. But otherwise leave it unresolved. World is in choas, leave it open ended. I hope this research development doesnt put the virus as a government slip up, bio-warfare gone wrong thing. The codename and mention of two time frames of occurence and global scale point to that. The zombie origin is anoher thing that can stay unresolved, no government involvement or space microbes or whatever. So far I like Zombielands explanation the best, patient 0 ate a tainted burger at a gas n gulp....

as far as the term "geeks", not sure if it was an earlier post here, or somewhere else. But apparently the term geek would refer to a sideshow act known for eating odd things. like biting the head off a live chicken. May not be familiar in the contemporary sense but is appropriate in a way.

Another great episode!!! I am so stoked for the finale of season 1, but am dreading that it is the last on for awhile!!! I hope they get to filming season 2 right away so that we do not have to wait until next Halloween for more TWD.

I'm not sure what to make of the CDC storyline.....

If they go ahead and fully explain the cause of the zombie plague out of the gate, it will definitely be WAY different than the comic series. I actually like not knowing much about "why" it is happening.

Movie mayhem!
    Finally caught up and watched season 2 and 3 over the last two weeks. Man did this show get better. I liked season one but it had a tendancy to drag and get repetitive. Season two started out a snore fest until that amazing midseason barn episode and from that point on this show had me hooked. Id like next season to start showing them having really built something amazing out of the prison. Gardens in the field like they talked about etc. And then maybe something horrible happens and they havr to leave.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app