Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

I love the comic series,but when I heard about the tv show,I wasn't sure what to think. The amc site has zombie pics though. They look okay,but wonder what kind of gore it will have. I know it's cable,but it's still cable.
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...ion-begins.php

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I love the comic and I hope this tv series can capture that same magic. It does look like it is in very capable hands though

I absolutely love the graphic novels. They're some of the most disturbing and gripping that I've ever read. I still remember powering through 60 issues in a weekend.

With that said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this series. Having Kirkman helping out on it is a good sign, but I honestly can't see how they could get away with half the stuff they do in the comics (much of which, while utterly troubling to see/read as the reader, I found made the series that much more powerful).

And I'm not just talking about blowing a zombie's brains out. We've all seen that before. I mean the fairly graphic and purposefully shocking scenes of family suicides, the horrible things deranged people can do to their own kind (no way can the Governor appear in this as anything other than a shadow of his comic self), and child death. That's some hard stuff, even for a network like HBO to try and deal with.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Well the promo shots are impressive. This could turn out okay. Romero's last few zombie movies have been real stinkers.

As a diehard zombie fanatic, I'm very excited for this!

How long until Zombies go down the Twilight path?

I'm with Team Brains-oozing-down-the-side-of-his-face

anybody want to win a chance to be a zombie?
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...weepstakes.php

also some cast images here:
    http://io9.com/5593242/walking-dead-gallery
    Last edited by bcbsdrg; July 23, 2010 at 01:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    How long until Zombies go down the Twilight path?

I'm with Team Brains-oozing-down-the-side-of-his-face
    When that happens, I riot.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

I love the ess out of the comics and the cast photos look dead on! I'm throwing a zombie party for the premier... whenever that is! Zombie is the new vampire!

AMC is the good times.

Holy cow, has anyone else seen the trailer for this yet?? I can't post it due to some language in the video itself, but it's easy enough to find.

It looks fantastic. I can't even say how happy I am with what I saw. Completely messed up post-outbreak scenary, great zombies acting like zombies are supposed to, and some nice little character moments.

I am totally stoked for this series!
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

I need to find that trailer but that cast photo couldn't be any better. This series could change the way comic book adaptions are done which would make fan boys everywhere happy

EDIT: Found the trailer, WOW!

Reading the comic was intense and I got that same feeling just watching the trailer
    Last edited by TheFallen; July 25, 2010 at 02:15am.

I just saw the trailer too. I was worried it would be like some other telling, or maybe some changes, but this looks spot on! IMDB has it listed for an October date. That is far tooo far away.

the booth for TWD was CRAZY AWESOME!!!!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I just heard that Greg Nicotero's doing make-up and effects. I really like his work. This thing is just sounding better and better. I'm just waiting for someone to pinch me and I find out I've dreamed all this and AMC actually got Uwe Boll to make it and he put it in space.

This is probably common knowledge now, but the music is being done by the same guy that did Sarah Connor Chronicles and Battlestar Galactica.
    and keep moving forward.

trailer offically online now
    http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-W...d=593569611001

Can't wait till halloween!

It looks like the show is going to be exciting. I can't wait. Now if someone would just do an Invincible cartoon series.

Okay all, just a few more days until this show premiers. If you've been checking the reviews online (as I have!), you'll see it's getting phenomenal reviews right across the board. And having been lucky enough to get a legit preview of this not too long ago, I have to say every single one of those reviews is 100% accurate.

This show is absolutely amazing. The character work is incredible, and the zombies themselves are, in my opinion, the best representations I have ever seen. These things LOOK like..well, the walking dead. Not just infected people, but actual dead things. And my biggest pet peeve regarding zombies is unfounded in this case. No zombies snarling and making angry faces, or howling in anguish as other zombies get taken down.

These things are often blank faced and lacking any real humanity to them. which is perfect, because it makes them both immediately more terrifying (angry faces on zombies shows emotion, and thus humanizes them too much for my liking) and at the same time, sad to watch.

I have no idea what the budget for this thing is, but it absolutely blows away just about every zombie movie I've ever seen as far as atmosphere goes. And speaking of which, the atmosphere is practically flawless in this. There are no cheap scares or gratuitous actions scenes (there is a LOT of graphic gore for a show on this network though), so you can enjoy the show without having to always worry about cats jumping out of cabinets or doors slamming shut.

And as a fan of the comic, I simply could not have asked for a better translation. The character of Morgan and his son are particular examples of things carried over so well, while having a bit of embellishment that they didn't get in the comic. But it works, beautifully.

Anyway, I'm going to hold off on really diving into this thing until after Sunday, but I have to say, I've already bought season 1 on iTunes, and fully plan on preordering the first season the moment it goes up on Amazon.

This is a seriously awesome show, the kind I never thought I would actually see AS a TV show, with the kind of character work one usually can only HOPE to get in a genre like this. It's simply unlike anything I've seen before, and I really, really hope that it gets the viewership, because this is quality and deserves to be rewarded.
    and keep moving forward.

Thanks for the comments Galmorzu! I am beyond HYPED for this show! We're having a viewing party for it with a bunch of people and we are going all-out!

We are too!
    and keep moving forward.

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    I saw it last Saturday, and it is indeed quite good. It's clear just from this pilot episode that they'll be taking detours here and there, so there should be a good bit of new material even for those of us who have read all the comics.
    The zombie makeup is some of the best I've ever seen. They seem to have a bit more motor skills than in the comics, but they never approach the running, jumping zombies of the 2005 Dawn of the Dead remake.
    Production values all around are excellent. It looks more like a film than a TV show.
    I can not WAIT to see more of the show! I just hope we don't jave to wait too long for them to start cranking out the second season, as those first six episodes arent gonna last too long.

I have my dad DVRing this for me for later. AMC still shows commercials and stuff right? I can just fast forward through those.

Wait a minute... CRAP! I'm now off on Halloween! I can go watch this in real time. YESSSSSSSS!! Wait, it's on at nine. Dammit, I've got to put my son to bed and the wife has to be at work early the next morning. Nope, not a good idea when we have an hour's drive back.

Anyway, I haven't read the comics, but I've now reserved myself to the thought of seeing if the movie makes me want to read the comic. The only problem with that train of thought is when you see something as bad as recently Jonah Hex.

**Jonah Hex Spoiler Alert (and trust me, you're not getting much out of it)**

If I didn't know anything about Jonah Hex before watching the movie, I might've found the whole power of talking to the dead very interesting, but would've been sadly disappointed if I picked up one of the comics. The only redeeming qualities about it were John Malkovich and the backstory involving Eli Whitley working as a weapons designer after he patented the cotton gin.

**End Jonah Hex Spoiler**

So, I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead, but I'm going in especially ready to take things with a grain of salt now that I know some liberties were taken. I'd kinda expect it being on a regular cable channel like AMC and not a premium like HBO or Starz.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I saw it last Saturday, and it is indeed quite good. It's clear just from this pilot episode that they'll be taking detours here and there, so there should be a good bit of new material even for those of us who have read all the comics.
    To me, it doesn't have to be a slavish recreation of the comics. I think the producers should be free to deviate from the source as long as they maintain the overall tone, the emphasis on character development and the pacing of the book. Just from the promos, it seems like Morgan will have a larger role than he did in the beginning of the comic. And in the last promo, it sounded like Shane would be around longer than in the book as well. But darn it, one of the things you can count on with the book is Don't get attached to anyone, because they're probably gonna die! and I hope they stick to that and don't keep everyone around too long. That came out way bloodthirstier than I intended. If you read the book, you know what I mean!

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    To me, it doesn't have to be a slavish recreation of the comics. I think the producers should be free to deviate from the source as long as they maintain the overall tone, the emphasis on character development and the pacing of the book.
    That's what I was saying. I'm glad they're doing that, as it keeps it from being a simple retread of the comics that many of us have already read. I like that we're getting some new material in the series.
    Morgan is almost the star of the pilot episode, really. As he introduces Rick to the new world order, he serves as our guide as well. A nice little wrinkle is added to Morgan's situation that made for some pretty strong emotional moments. They did a very good job expanding his role.