Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I know very little about the comics, so I only have the series to judge by...and overall I thought TWD was pretty good and something that I would definitely continue on with. Immediately my mind went to 28 Days Later when the sheriff woke up in the hospital unaware of what had transpired. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In fairness, Robert and Tony had completed that scenario before 28 Days Later came out. It was just really weird timing that two zombie properties around the same time had the same coma thing in it.
    Cool.

Just to clarify in case anyone is offended, I'm not arguing a position/saying it's disgraceful that 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead have similar openings. I'm merely saying that's where my mind went when I saw the scene...lol

As I said earlier, I know very little about TWD comic series.
    I know...I thought the same thing. I love the 28 days flicks, but I've never checked out the Walking Dead comic, even though I read comics.

Now that I'm watching the series, maybe I shouldn't read the actual comic...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 2, 2010 at 07:14pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Now that I'm watching the series, maybe I shouldn't read the actual comic...
    No way, you should definitely read the comic, it's one of the top 5 out right now, and so is Invincible, also by Robert Kirkman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I agree. I think eventually, Carl will be the last survivor. I think he and Michone will last the longest, but he'll be the final. I don't know about the hanging onto his sanity thing, though because they're setting him up so that because he was so young when all this began, he's more suited to it, unlike the adults who are still so connected to the world the way it used to be. He's grown up in this, so it's his normal reality. He doesn't waver when he does what he feels needs to be done.
    Yeah, but my point is, what if he was returned to the "real world," some other country where life went on since (in this idea) the threat was quarantined in North America. He would have as hard a time adapting as Rick did to the apocalypse. He simply wouldn't know how to settle in. It would really be tragic.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I re-watched Episode 1 and it was just as AWESOME the second viewing!!! For those who missed out on Halloween, it is replaying on Friday!! Check it out

Just saw this link....It did indeed do very very well.

http://tv.msn.com/paralleluniverse/w...ure/?Gt1=28140

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    No way, you should definitely read the comic, it's one of the top 5 out right now, and so is Invincible, also by Robert Kirkman.
    I love Invincible and I collect that. I'm just worried that reading the comic would mess up my enjoyment of the television show.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    Saw the repeat on Halloween and finally found a show I like that isn't reality tv (DishNetwork customer and lost FX which had 2 of my fav show Always Sunny, and Sons of Anarchy).
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

I haven't read the comic, but will it sustain a long running series or will they have to pad or expand it to keep a TV show going? Because I don't know how this can go on very long as a series unless they just release a handful of episodes a year. It's so bleak too, I don't know that I'd want to spend a ton of time in this world (I am not a huge Zombie movie fan, and didn't even really care much for Shaun of the Dead, though I liked Zombieland well enough).

Also, that poor poor horse.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I haven't read the comic, but will it sustain a long running series or will they have to pad or expand it to keep a TV show going? Because I don't know how this can go on very long as a series unless they just release a handful of episodes a year. It's so bleak too, I don't know that I'd want to spend a ton of time in this world (I am not a huge Zombie movie fan, and didn't even really care much for Shaun of the Dead, though I liked Zombieland well enough).

They are up to almost 80 issues so far in this comic book series. It has been running for years now and I would estimate that there is enough material in the issues alone to carry this series for roughly 80 one-hour long episodes with minimal expansion on the comics (as was done in the pilot episode). It had a perfect mixture of the comic book roots/material with a bit of expansion by the series writers. At 10-12 episodes per year, it could have a very deep run for a series like this, plus the comic series continues to grow as well. There is a new issue each month. This series has TONS of potential!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post

Erik you should really, really check out the comic! The thing about TWD is that its not just about Zombies but more the people. The zombies are merely one of the situations they have to contend with whilst adjusting to this "new" way of life. Its really intense.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

When in doubt, buy toys! KalesDad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Hsss View Post
    Saw the repeat on Halloween and finally found a show I like that isn't reality tv (DishNetwork customer and lost FX which had 2 of my fav show Always Sunny, and Sons of Anarchy).
    We Dish-dvr'd it, was AWESOME!!! Haven't read the comics, might have to pick those up someday, but until then we'll just look forward to new episodes of TWD.

Also, Dish got FX back!
    Great B/S/T'ers: Slayor, Blue Monkey, no_frills_inc, the80sdrummer, Super He-Man, loadzone, Troy-Klops, Son of Keldor, soundwavempl, masterenglish, Mern-Ra, and gl28141!

My .org Feedback, and My Ebay For Sale!

It's about whats FAIR! King Hsss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KalesDad View Post
    Also, Dish got FX back!
    When the hell did this happen?
    In nomine Patris. Requiescat in Pace

Just to clarify in case anyone is offended, I'm not arguing a position/saying it's disgraceful that 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead have similar openings. I'm merely saying that's where my mind went when I saw the scene...lol

As I said earlier, I know very little about TWD comic series.
    well honestly the whole waking up and the world is changed is a REALLY old trope used for a LONG time.

heck, the story Rip Van Winkle used it back in the 1800s if not earlier(can't remember when the story originated).

Day of the triffids used it in the original version and the remake as well.

What I am saying is that 28 days later wasn't the first to use it and TWD won't be the last.

It is just an easy way to get the audience and the lead character to connect since both are learning about the world at the same time.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I love Invincible and I collect that. I'm just worried that reading the comic would mess up my enjoyment of the television show.
    Since the show is an adaptation, the rule of thumb is that the source material is best right? My personal philosophy is to enjoy a story in it's original, best medium and then use the adaptations to enjoy it further. In other words, I think you'll enjoy the show even more, if you read the comics.

Just finished watching episode 2!! It was EXCELLENT!!! There was a ton of action and the episode introduced a bunch of new characters. This episode seemed to stray a bit further from the original comics than the first episode, but did not make it any less awesome. I'm a big fan of the casting of this show so far. Laurie Holden for Andrea is perfect!!! The kid that is playing Glen is great too

Sunday night used to be my least favorite time of the week with a work week looming over me and trash night to make it worse. Now, thanks to the Walking Dead, I actually look forward to it How sick am I???

So, who's hungry?

Great episode. Glenn is definitely going to be a favorite character of mine.

My brother went nuts with the red Challenger at the end, too, because that's exactly what his car is. Same model, color, and stripes.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

Last night's episode was in-tense. Sooo much apprehension as the two were heading to the truck covered in guts.

Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    They are up to almost 80 issues so far in this comic book series. It has been running for years now and I would estimate that there is enough material in the issues alone to carry this series for roughly 80 one-hour long episodes with minimal expansion on the comics (as was done in the pilot episode). It had a perfect mixture of the comic book roots/material with a bit of expansion by the series writers. At 10-12 episodes per year, it could have a very deep run for a series like this, plus the comic series continues to grow as well. There is a new issue each month. This series has TONS of potential!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Erik you should really, really check out the comic! The thing about TWD is that its not just about Zombies but more the people. The zombies are merely one of the situations they have to contend with whilst adjusting to this "new" way of life. Its really intense.
    That's a relief, because the show could be just a series of zombie movie tropes otherwise.

Why does Michael Rooker always play dislikeable guys so well? I was sorry for the Horse, I wasn't for him.

Here is an official update on last nights ratings and great news for the future of the series!!!! This is the best news I've read in a long time

"AMC has announced they have officially renewed the zombie centric comic-adaptation The Walking Dead for a second season. After premiering to huge ratings it held extremely well in last night’s second episode which drew 4.7 million viewers and a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 age range. The Walking Dead has become the biggest series in network cable history based on the ratings of that critical demo.

In typical AMC fashion the series will receive 13 episodes in all seasons going forward. This first season however is just six episodes. The network is known for housing original series that are critical successes but receive low ratings (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and Rubicon). Now they have a huge success in both critical response and ratings which bodes well for the future."

Bring on more Walking Dead!!!! I love it, I love it, I love it!!

Poopie Flingin' Monkey! Slothboy's Avatar
    I guess I'm in the minority here but I really am not enjoying the show very much. I think part of it isbecause I did read the comics first and the other part is that many of the scenes are just stupid. First off, the changes to the zombies are just too much. They went from essentially empty husks with basic motor skills and a hunger for living flesh to fast moving (even running), overly agile, and overly aware zombies. Not only that but they remember certain things about when they were alive??? The little girl zombie knows that kids play with toys and picks up the toy bear, the dead wife knows which house to go to and returns there occasionally even trying to use the doorknob and look in the peephole, the one sherifs deputy even hangs out around that station. Come on, that's a bit much even if you're not talking about TWD comic zombies. And I know the zombies in the comics would never go and find a rock to use as a tool after they have no luck using their hands to break through the store window. And thats ignoring the question of where did that zombie find a rock that big in downtown Atlanta?? When Rick and Glen were walking with the zombies that one girl zombie was checking Glen out like a primate looks at others not like a zombie would. And don't even get me started on zombies climbing over fences. Also whats with the major change to the relationship between Shane and Laurie. What was wrong with their relationship from the comic? The show is really making it look like they were cheating before the zombies and are still sneaking away whenever possible. Thats definately not how they were in the book. As for casting, some looks good some bad. Andrea is supposed to be like 21 in the books but is played by a 30-something year old actress who definately looks her age. There is a bunch of other things I could complain about but I'd just be here complaining all night.

Again maybe a lot of my dislike is coming from having read the comics and the show being just too different but my wife hasn't read the comics and she actually left halfway through the second episode saying it was just too dumb to continue watching. I'll give it another episode or so but I don't see myself watching this much longer if it stays like it is at current.

Just watched Episode 3 twice!!! I enjoyed this episode more than episode 2, slightly. It was great to see some of the human drama unfold, rather than a full hour of zombie carnage (although I DO love zombie carnage)! I stated that this series was my favorite show currently airing after only watching the pilot. Now I can safely say that my statement holds true!! I absolutely LOVE this show!! I cannot get enough! I'm sad that there will only be 6 episodes in season one. It is renewed for season 2 already! I hope they start filming right away so that we do not have to wait for nearly a year to get Season 2!!!!

Holy cow, that intro was intense. I actually felt pretty bad for Merle; that was just a horrible, nightmarish situation to be in.

The rest of the episode was superb, too. In my opinion, on par with the first episode. The human drama was great, and seeing the Grimes together was perfect. Carl's going to be the man for sure, and the boy is definitely doing a great job in the role. Dale is also fantastic.

And without giving anything away, I understand the point behind the scene at the end and saying, "Wow, so-and-so's starting to lose it," but come on. That dude TOTALLY had that coming, and having known someone like that in the past, I have no qualms about seeing that happen to him.
    and keep moving forward.

Widget

impressed

just caught last nights episode-4, had to wait for the itunes download, and I continue to be impressed with the adaptation. Ive been reading TWL as trades for a year or two, and was a bit curious to see how far this season would make it. Seems like they will wrap up with the first trade, hope they don't bail on how "days gone by" ended. I've been reading a fair amount of "purist" reviews that get whiny at every little change. Changes are inevitable, considering the translation of medium. Not sure how heavy Kirkmans hand is in production of the series, I know he's an exec prod and penned the 4th ep, but I would consider being able to return to the beginning and retell the story a opportunity, a chance to improve the narrative. If anything I think the show at this point is better then the comic, the characters are more fleshed out, as is the environment. I recently flipped through the first trade and comparing the sequence of comic to show of Rick waking up in the hospital to when he and morgan part ways, the show has it hands down. The essence of the comic is there and strong.

zombie wise the work has been great. I'm in agreement with an earlier poster that zombies shouldn't show emotion including anger, but thats a preference. and the governing nature of the infection hasn't been established. they are pretty agile, but nothing too crazy. the actions that indicate shades of their previous human existence are fine so far, if its grabbing a favorite stuffed bear or returning to a important place ok, if they start showing intelligence and problem solving then I'll take issue. I'm chalking the rock smashing the glass door as up to coincidence for now, rather than deliberate act. I would prefer limited motor skills, so ladder and fence climbing should be out, but again personal preference.

I'm a bit of a zombie enthuisiast so I'm usually pretty snobbish about my zombie media. TWL is impressive so far.

Episodes 1 and 2 were promising, but 3 was dismal! I'm okay with deviating from the books to a degree, but not if they"re just going to introduce tired stereotypes and spend so much time showcasing them. Oh racists rednecks. Wife-beater. How original. Hated it! I was put off by the preview for the fourth episode. Basically, I felt like "Oh. So this is just inspired by the book. But the story with the Vatos didn't go how I expected it, so I was somewhat surprised. Before this started, my friends and I were speculating on how this first season would go and my friend Dave optimistically speculated that this season would end with them finding the prison. But they're dragging this out so much, I don't even think we'll get to "the shooting." (Trying not to spoil things too much.) Kind of frustrating. I'm sure I'll stick with it until the 6th episode, but after that? We'll see.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In fairness, Robert and Tony had completed that scenario before 28 Days Later came out. It was just really weird timing that two zombie properties around the same time had the same coma thing in it.
    I thought this myself. The movie was released before the book was published, so yeah basically the same time. Same thing kind of happened with Fantastic Four. A lot of people were not familiar with it and thought it was a rip off of the Incredibles

Quote Originally Posted by MOTS View Post
    I would prefer limited motor skills, so ladder and fence climbing should be out, but again personal preference.
    Yeah I thought it was strange when she tried to turn the door knob/brick on the glass/climb the ladder. Seems like someone on the writing staff had watched Land of the Dead (retaining motor skills). I can take that or leave it.

All in all though I have REALLY enjoyed it. I found the first two volumes of comics at an airport so I got them to read on the way home. I was blown away. When I got back I went straight to Borders and spent 200 bucks on the rest of them (Which will be up for sale shortly at a discounted rate ). I'm about halfway through them. When I pick one up and I can't put it down until I finish the book.

So far I'm blown away by the comic. I'm not a big zombie fan per se, but I love zombie survival. Me and some friends always sort of joke around when we go somewhere about "ok if the zombie attack happens, where is our safe point". Or if someone wants to go somewhere with a lot of people and I don't want to go my excuse is "I don't want to be around that many people when the zombie attack happens". Nothing serious, but it is a LOT of fun to joke around with. I even keep the Zombie Survival Guide at work on my shelf with all my reference books.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980