Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead tv show *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I almost said something similar. You can actually from my understanding have HIV and never get AIDS in fact.
    Yes that is correct, you can be a "carrier" of HIV and never develop AIDS and you can be infected with HIV and never develop into AIDS.

AIDS is the last stage, the one that requires a constant attack of drugs and in a lot of cases is an uphill battle.

I think that is a great interpretation of the zombie disease and how it stands as of now for the group
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I elect you leader if there's a zombie apocalypse.
    It's not a democracy, dude. Not any more...

I kinda forgot about the helicopter too. The government is probably still alive somewhere in some bunker, just waiting for all the zombies to rot away... Or, maybe it's a foreign helicopter. We have no idea if this is global? Maybe it only affected North America for now.

SERIOUS spoilers! I realize they're not sticking strickly to the comics, but according to the comics...

Michonne is not part of Randall's group. She's a lawyer who figured out that zombies could smell live humans. Her brother and his roommate turned. She cut off their jaws and arms so they couldn't bite her and chained them to her.
    The helicopter is from the book. The people inside were taken by the governor. Rick and his group tracked them to the governor's base and from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    It's not a democracy, dude. Not any more...

I kinda forgot about the helicopter too. The government is probably still alive somewhere in some bunker, just waiting for all the zombies to rot away... Or, maybe it's a foreign helicopter. We have no idea if this is global? Maybe it only affected North America for now.
    Jenner spoke about that in the CDC back in season 1. It was apparently a global epidemic. He even said that the French were apparently the last to fall to it.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Evil Master of Warcraft
    This if for the Lori haters lol

funny-celebrity-pictures-lori-you-sonofabtch.jpg
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Lori needs to die already.

I was reading some stuff on another site and different view on somethings then we have mentioned

Not exactly totally different but on things like Dale being the conscience of the group, he was also the we will say good angel on Rick's shoulder whereas Shane was the devil on the other shoulder. And I can see where why the two characters die fairly close to each other in the story how this could have been the writers intent. The death's of these characters aren't the extreme versions of his choices and his thoughts but also the death of characters outside of himself making these choices. With both characters down Rick is making more decisions on his own and they were to respresent his internal struggle to becoming the leader he has established himself as now.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I don't mean for this to come off in bad taste, especially if you know someone with it, but the best example to compare being infected and getting bitten would be HIV and AIDS. Think of having the infection as HIV. With medication some people can live a long time and never fully develop AIDS. Think of AIDS as being bitten. Chances are you don't have much time left and it will kill you. I'm not a doctor, but that's the way I see it.

can't really notice vs this is serious
    HIV vs AIDS
    infection vs bitten
    Thank you for writing that. That makes a LOT of sense. I was struggling with "hmmm...not sure if this makes a lot of sense," but now it makes total sense. So, my concerns have been addressed.

I was reading some stuff on another site and different view on somethings then we have mentioned
    That makes a lot of sense too.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Thank you for writing that. That makes a LOT of sense. I was struggling with "hmmm...not sure if this makes a lot of sense," but now it makes total sense. So, my concerns have been addressed.

That makes a lot of sense too.
    not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I read that Kirkman said 'death activates the virus' so if they are all carrying it, it's essentially inert until they die. so they won't turn no matter what until death takes them. you die from Zombie bites and scratches because they are swarming with bacteria (like a Komodo dragon's saliva) the bites don't turn you, they just kill you. that's where the fever comes in you get a bacterial infection and die from that, then the virus activates and you turn.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I read that Kirkman said 'death activates the virus' so if they are all carrying it, it's essentially inert until they die. so they won't turn no matter what until death takes them. you die from Zombie bites and scratches because they are swarming with bacteria (like a Komodo dragon's saliva) the bites don't turn you, they just kill you. that's where the fever comes in you get a bacterial infection and die from that, then the virus activates and you turn.
    This man speaks the truth. I'm pretty sure this is almost the exact explanation that Kirkman has given in the letters page for quite a few years now. Part of the horror is just knowing that anyone who dies, whether it is someone dying in a gunfight, your spouse who dies in the night sleeping next to you, or your unborn child who dies while still in the womb, might come back.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    , your spouse who dies in the night sleeping next to you,
    Wow, that's a terrible scenario I never thought about! Your wife dying of natural causes in her sleep, then suddenly waking up as a zombie and eating the crap out of you while you're still sleeping, before you even have time to know what's going on!

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...I'm making my wife sleep on the couch!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

This would mean that the whole zombie apocalypse will just go on until everyone is turned. There is no way for humanity to defeat this. In other zombie canons, survivors would have a theoretical chance of staying alive until the last zombie is too rotten to move, and the world would be safe again. In this one, even if you are super sheltered there is no way to smash everyone's skull the moment they die. Some people will die unnoticed (while everyone is asleep or distracted) and infect their own group from within. There is no way everyone can be monitored 24/7. This includes secret government bunkers. Even if one of those bunkers manages to maintain internal safety through crazy military discipline, and if they do find a cure, how will they distribute the cure globally. Society has collapsed and there is no way to treat everyone.

This would mean that the whole zombie apocalypse will just go on until everyone is turned. There is no way for humanity to defeat this. In other zombie canons, survivors would have a theoretical chance of staying alive until the last zombie is too rotten to move, and the world would be safe again. In this one, even if you are super sheltered there is no way to smash everyone's skull the moment they die. Some people will die unnoticed (while everyone is asleep or distracted) and infect their own group from within. There is no way everyone can be monitored 24/7. This includes secret government bunkers. Even if one of those bunkers manages to maintain internal safety through crazy military discipline, and if they do find a cure, how will they distribute the cure globally. Society has collapsed and there is no way to treat everyone.
    There is always a chance to win, it would basically require A)finding a cure a B)getting people who are still alive to be able to safely group to receive cure and then C)eradicating the zombies

C is not really so hard, I mean a headshot or a knife to the head/burning kills them. So in theory if you could get everyone who is still alive into a secluded area and then bomb large groups of zombies you they won't come back. The problem is with everyone scrambling to survive there is no time or way to coordinate such an effort.

But ultimately yes that is the big fallacy with the zombie genre. 9 times out of 10 there is no way for humanity to survive and I am not sure we have ever had a zombie story that has shown a way "out" of the mess.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Part of it would depend on how they were infected. Do they pass it onto their children? Is it airborne? Is it something in the vaccinations they got as kids? If it isn't passed onto their children there is a big hope. But even then, there is hope in containment but not of the zombies of those who can die. Knowing people turn once they die, means you do watch the living.

But most zombie apocalypse mythologies aren't about humans winning, it's about their struggle to survive. I use apocalypse specifically because of the Return of the Living Dead series usually has small outbreaks.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Hope we don't start the vaccination debate here... It looks to me like it's airborne. What are the chances of everyone having it otherwise?

Of course, this is if we accept that everyone has it, which is really just that guy's opinion. How do we know that the guy at CDC was even right? With the outbreak spreading so quickly, he obviously couldn't test people living in remote areas. Sure, people in Atlanta were infected. Shane was infected because he was exposed to it (a lot!), but we don't know for sure if some Eskimos, or those natives in the Amazon region with no contact to the outside world have it.

I think Kirkman has a general idea of how it was spread, but he isn't going to share it. Well for now, chances are it will be in a after the series (comic) starts to die down he will come out with what the whole thing was. So I'm not arguing for anything other then it hasn't been stated and without it being stated there is room for several things to work.

The Walking Dead Show Runner Glen Mazzara Answers Fan Questions, some S3 spoilers in link

http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-d...ew-part-ii.php

I liked how he thinks it can go at least 7 seasons, using the comic as a guide they are only about 1/5 of the way into that story and they stretched an entire season out of what took up only a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    But...if it's a zombie bacteria thing, why didn't Rick and Glen die after smearing zombie guts all over themselves...and when Rick cut his hand and was stabbing all the zombies in the head and I think he wiped his knife off on his cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    your spouse who dies in the night sleeping next to you, or your unborn child who dies while still in the womb, might come back.
    I thought about the spouse thing, but unborn baby...that's SUPER creepy. The baby could eat its way out from the inside!

Hope we don't start the vaccination debate here... It looks to me like it's airborne.
    I'm thinking it was an airborne terrorist attack, but it spread more than intended...or the government developed it to attack the terrorists. That's where I think they're going to go with it.

I think vaccination would work (if they could find a cure or whatever). I don't know much about vaccines for stuff that is airborne, but I found these doctors thinking about it in 1959.

If tubercle bacilli can float through the air and cause disease in people who inhale them, why cannot weakened bacilli be transmitted the same way to achieve mass vaccination? This was the question that Dr. Gardner Middlebrook and colleagues at Denver's research-wise National Jewish Hospital asked themselves. Last week, after years of testing, they gave the National Tuberculosis Association a tentative answer: no reason why not.
    Dr. Middlebrook and Dr. Maurice Cohn put more than 1,000 guinea pigs into chambers rigged so that the ventilators blew in BCG—Bacillus of Calmette and Guerin, a strain of weakened microbes used in vaccination against tuberculosis...

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...#ixzz1pryNTKVQ
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

the bacteria has to get into their blood stream. Again think like AIDS. And it might just be their spit not their blood and guts.

Like most writers they make up stuff as they go, sure they often do some basic fact checking.

the bacteria has to get into their blood stream. Again think like AIDS. And it might just be their spit not their blood and guts.

Like most writers they make up stuff as they go, sure they often do some basic fact checking.
    I don't know. Maybe it's because the killed the walkers, so the bacterial infection isn't "active"? That's the only explanation I can think of. Because wiping blood/guts on an open wound is worse than being scratched. So, once the brain is injured, the bacteria becomes inactive. Does that make sesne?

Evil Master of Warcraft
    The virus in 28 Days/Weeks Later could infect by fluid transfer. Drip of blood to the eye and the kiss. The zombies in the Walking Dead don't seem to have that effect. They might have been worried about that early on in the series. At one point Rick and that first black guy he met (It happened....could have been when he was in Atlanta) came out with a splatter shield over their face. Whatever happened to that black guy anyway?

I've been thinking to about the people dead in the cars on the highway. Maybe they were not infected yet? That would lead me to think that it probably isn't airborne.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

The virus in 28 Days/Weeks Later could infect by fluid transfer. Drip of blood to the eye and the kiss. The zombies in the Walking Dead don't seem to have that effect. They might have been worried about that early on in the series. At one point Rick and that first black guy he met (It happened....could have been when he was in Atlanta) came out with a splatter shield over their face. Whatever happened to that black guy anyway?

I've been thinking to about the people dead in the cars on the highway. Maybe they were not infected yet? That would lead me to think that it probably isn't airborne.
    Kirkman said they all had head trauma of some sort, from car wrecks or something else. I have deleted the episode off my DVR so I can't go back and check

I don't know. Maybe it's because the killed the walkers, so the bacterial infection isn't "active"? That's the only explanation I can think of. Because wiping blood/guts on an open wound is worse than being scratched. So, once the brain is injured, the bacteria becomes inactive. Does that make sesne?
    But if we are using diseases as we know them open contact with a wound does not always guarantee transmission, its why AIDS "can" be transferred via risky sex but its not 100% guarantee.

So just because Shane wiped his cut hand with zombie blood does not guarantee he would drop dead of the virus within the day or have the infection onset like it would if he was bitten

Then again we are talking about a fictional zombie virus and how it is transmitted so all bets on logic and sound theory are off

At one point Rick and that first black guy he met (It happened....could have been when he was in Atlanta) came out with a splatter shield over their face. Whatever happened to that black guy anyway?

In the book, he pops up again waaaaay later. The way the show is paced, he wouldn't pop up again until like season ten or something, so I wouldn't expect to see him again. Also, once he does return, he doesn't really DO anything, so it's kind of pointless. Michonne starts sleeping with him. That's about it.