Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zodac: The official deconstruction

Zodac: The official deconstruction

Of all of the figures in the classics, Zodac I feel has gotten the least love. Here me out...: Here's one of the original five figures and not only is his bio lacking, but he's been summarily replaced by the more disco friendly Zodak.
    Zodac's bio perplexes me. He was a member of the Council of Elders, but upon grayskull's death chose to retain his human form? So is he a shape shifter? Does that explain his three toed feet?
    Is he some sort of amalgam of a demon from trolla and an ordinary Eternian human? Is he a trollan, now that the trollan overlords seem to be a pivotal part of the story? If we looked under that helmet, would he have pointed ears like Orko, or others on the council?
    A true biography of Zodac, along with perhaps a real story of the Cosmic Enforcers (Or is it the green lantern Corps) would be great.
    Last edited by Captjhan; June 3, 2010 at 12:12pm.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captjhan View Post
    Of all of the figures in the classics, Zodac I feel has gotten the least love. Here me out...: Here's one of the original five figures and not only is his bio lacking, but he's been summarily replaced by the more disco friendly Zodak.
    Zodac's bio perplexes me. He was a member of the Council of Elders, but upon grayskull's death chose to retain his human form? So is he a shape shifter? Does that explain his three toed feet?
    Is he some sort of amalgam of a demon from trolla and an ordinary Eternian human? Is he a trollan, now that the trollan overlords seem to be a pivotal part of the story? If we looked under that helmet, would he have pointed ears like Orko, or others on the council?
    A true biography of Zodac, along with perhaps a real story of the Cosmic Enforcers (Or is it the green lantern Corps) would be great.
    When Grayskull died, his comrades turned into beings of light and magic. It's in the MYP cartoon. They turned all white and glowy. I took it that Zur denied the power. As for the 3 toed feet, Zodac isn't exactly human. I don't think he's from Trolla, just not human.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I think you should write a story about it, and include Zodak as well. Your He-Ro and Wun-Dar stories were greatness. So get to it sir.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    When Grayskull died, his comrades turned into beings of light and magic. It's in the MYP cartoon. They turned all white and glowy. I took it that Zur denied the power. As for the 3 toed feet, Zodac isn't exactly human. I don't think he's from Trolla, just not human.
    Hmm...the two bios of Zodac and Zodak suggest that he was a member of the council and then was recruited by the overlords to fullfill some kind of bargain that the council had made. What was the bargain? That one of the council would serve the trollans in exchange for......

Quote Originally Posted by dagodfather View Post
    I think you should write a story about it, and include Zodak as well. Your He-Ro and Wun-Dar stories were greatness. So get to it sir.
    I sincerely appreciate it....perhaps this thread will serve to hash out some of the details that could then be written down in a story...
    Last edited by Captjhan; June 3, 2010 at 12:43pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm not sure, but I think the bio on the back of the Eternia map makes it a bit clearer. Not 100% sure, but I recall there being some mention of the Cosmic Enforcers there. I might be mixing it up with some fanfic someone posted here.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Hmm...the two bios of Zodac and Zodak suggest that he was a member of the council and then was recruited by the overlords to fullfill some kind of bargain that the council had made. What was the bargain? That one of the council would serve the trollans in exchange for......
    My understanding it was for the Sword of He to stay on Eternia.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    My understanding it was for the Sword of He to stay on Eternia.
    I read that too, but unless I'm mistaken, the power of the elders was from the sword of He correct? Then they let the sword stay in exchange for an elder who had no power before the sword? What do the trollans get out of this. What kind of bargain is that?

Regarding the monster feet and arm fins, is it possible Zodac and Ninjor are the same race? Maybe even from the same era? Ninjor was plucked out of space and time by Skeletor.

Zodac-Zur was a member of the Elders. He joined the Cosmic Enforcers after Grayskull's death at the end of the Great Wars so that the Sword of He could be kept on Eternia where it would lie in secret until the Twins of Power could harness its power. Zur's student, Kar-Tor, a student of the arts mastered by the Cosmic Enforcers, took his place while the former found peace among the stars.

I believe that the Elders were already quite powerful before the Sword ever came to Eternia. I imagine they were the local equivelemnt of the Overlords of Trolla (likely not quite as powerful). Perhaps their power is derived from Eternia itself, being at the center of that particular dimension/universe.

In any event, I heartily agree that Zodac seems to get the short end of the stick more ofteb than not. He's an integral, awesome character. I love his Classics figure, too! I would like to see more Cosmic Enforcers and Trollans in the line.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

But didn't Zodac make a bargain with Eldor? or was it with the Elders? Cause if it's Eldor, then there may be a bigger piece of the puzzle to be filled in when/if we get Eldor.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

So most of you seem to have the same opinion about this guy as I do. That is to say, within the first five original characters released, we had Zodac who was a powerful Elder, perhaps more powerful than Skeletor, King Hiss, Hordak, or even the Sorceress and he gets pushed to the side almost immediately. It's unusual for a toy line, or story arc tohave such a powerful character, who evidently played a pivotal role in the History (The deal that kept the sword on Eternia), just sitting in the background.

Well, it does state that the battle for the Sword brought him to Eternia many times. Perhaps he is crucial in the Second Ultimate Battleground (whatever that entails...). I think we know a bit more now about what his ideal "neutrality" is as it seems that most of the thrust (storywise) is of the Trollans VS The Horde Empire.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

So Zodac was Zodak's mentor, yet Zodac chose to maintain his 'human' form. Now I get that FILMation is off limits but if it ever becomes available I would really like them to find a way to sort it out.

Since MYP takes place *before* FILMation what happened to Zodak? Does he end up dying and that's why the 'original' comes back?
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Doing my best Skeletor... Agent John Utah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    Since MYP takes place *before* FILMation what happened to Zodak? Does he end up dying and that's why the 'original' comes back?
    Since when did MYP / 200x take place before Filmation in the "timeline" of the cartoons or bios?? I always thought 200x was a reboot and Zodak was referred to as having been trained by an earlier C.E. (probably Zodac).
    Visit my MotU Magazine Scans Thread>
    ██▓▓▒▒░░ Agent John Utah ░░▒▒▓▓██

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Utah View Post
    Since when did MYP / 200x take place before Filmation in the "timeline" of the cartoons or bios?? I always thought 200x was a reboot and Zodak was referred to as having been trained by an earlier C.E. (probably Zodac).
    Adam was 16 in MYP, we get Skeletor's origin, He-Man's origin, Two-Bad, Stinkor etc, plus Adam/Teela are 19-20ish in FILMation.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

In medieval heraldry, the eldest son wears a symbol like an "E", rotated with the "points" of the "E" facing down.

Zodac wears a much similiar symbol, only upside down with the "points" of the "E" facing up.

Could this be a reference to the idea that Zodac is the eldest (& perhaps most powerful) of the Elders?

(I've always loved Zodac's design, he was a vintage favourite, & only recently discovered this tie to heraldry).
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    In medieval heraldry, the eldest son wears a symbol like an "E", rotated with the "points" of the "E" facing down.

Zodac wears a much similiar symbol, only upside down with the "points" of the "E" facing up.

Could this be a reference to the idea that Zodac is the eldest (& perhaps most powerful) of the Elders?

(I've always loved Zodac's design, he was a vintage favourite, & only recently discovered this tie to heraldry).
    Cool info!! I like Zodac even more now!! Thank you!! btw, I display him next to Mossman and the Goddess because in my canon or how I see it they are the three most powerful characters released until we get the Sorceress!

You're welcome! I'm always willing to give Zodac more reason to be enjoyed.

& I'd agree about them being the most powerful... (at first - perhaps because I ignore He-Ro & King G) - it is interesting to see a shift from "natural" power (GG & MossM) to a more artificial power (Sorceress in her castle) - a bit like the human shift from hunter-gathering to farming.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    Adam was 16 in MYP, we get Skeletor's origin, He-Man's origin, Two-Bad, Stinkor etc, plus Adam/Teela are 19-20ish in FILMation.
    The 2 are separate, ie. MYP was a reboot of the original FILMation cartoon.

Regards,
    Victor P.

I didn't like Zodac when I was a kid, way too boring a figure for a line that excited the hell out of me. I sort of liked him in the filmation toon and kept putting off buying him as a kid because other way more interesting characters kept coming out, the idea was to get him just to round out the collection but I only got him in the commemorative line.

The 200X zodak I loved instantly! but I really like both now.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

You're welcome! I'm always willing to give Zodac more reason to be enjoyed.

& I'd agree about them being the most powerful... (at first - perhaps because I ignore He-Ro & King G) - it is interesting to see a shift from "natural" power (GG & MossM) to a more artificial power (Sorceress in her castle) - a bit like the human shift from hunter-gathering to farming.
    I agree it is interesting! I also ignore He-ro. I really dig KG, although I do consider him merely mortal, just a Norse looking badass, and not anywhere near a nature God like Mossman. I watch a lot of Ancient Aliens. I imagine the Sorceress power to be comparable to some of the healthy sense making technology theorized on that show and not the industrialized technology utilized in our modern world. That would go for Zodac as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayota View Post
    I really dig KG, although I do consider him merely mortal, just a Norse looking badass, and not anywhere near a nature God like Mossman.
    Yes, KG would make a good, simple warrior, but I haven't got him because you can't keep the cape & lose the harness.

And I find the 200x idea of him being the actual Power of Greyskull lame in the extreme.

And yeah, healthy tech mskes lots of sense (for our world!). On Eternia, the older the tech the cleaner it probably is...?

Yes, KG would make a good, simple warrior, but I haven't got him because you can't keep the cape & lose the harness.

And I find the 200x idea of him being the actual Power of Greyskull lame in the extreme.

And yeah, healthy tech mskes lots of sense (for our world!). On Eternia, the
    older the tech the cleaner it probably is...?
    I'm with ya on it being lame that KG is the power behind Grayskull. It takes the mystery out of it and makes it too plain. In my canon (in my head) Man-at-arms is Teela's REAL dad, which would make him the Sorceress's secret lover (awesome) and then privy to her knowledge of ancient tech and thus able to implement it within the kingdom, making it "healthy" tech. But yeah I think it still makes sense that the older the tech the healthier it is on Eternia and in many cases on our planet, reality, as well.

I'm with ya on it being lame that KG is the power behind Grayskull. It takes the mystery out of it and makes it too plain.
    Totally. If the mystery were to be explained in a 'toon, it'd need to be an epic 3-parter. And not just the embodiment of one guy's heroic characteristics...

In my canon (in my head) Man-at-arms is Teela's REAL dad, which would make him the Sorceress's secret lover (awesome) and then privy to her knowledge of ancient tech and thus able to implement it within the kingdom, making it "healthy" tech. But yeah I think it still makes sense that the older the tech the healthier it is on Eternia and in many cases on our planet, reality, as well.
    Makes sense! I take a similar view - the Sorceress births Teela via parthenogenesis in the aspect of Zoar. The Sorceress has little in the way of human intercourse & is a sort of vestal virgin (i.e. she cannot leave the Castle,m she guards "the gate" in symbolic & literal tersm) so her relationship with MAA is instrumental. She chooses him to tend the egg out of which the baby Teela emerges & she gives him technological gifts to guard the Castle.

Zodac is involved by not only being the Sorceress' back-up in times of desperate need, but he also keeps a watch of HER because even the Sorceress is basically human & not immune to being corrupted by the Castle's Secrets. Perhaps one day, he might need to destroy her...
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; November 9, 2011 at 05:08pm.

Totally.
    Zodac is involved by not only being the Sorceress' back-up in times of desperate need, but he also keeps a watch of HER because even the Sorceress is basically human & not immune to being corrupted by the Castle's Secrets. Perhaps one day, he might need to destroy her...
    I really like that idea. It introduces an interesting dynamic to the relationship between the Sorceress and Zodac. Their relationship has'nt really been explored or at least not that I'm aware of. Think I'll adopt that aspect into my canon! as far as the MAA and Sorceress relationship. I do like your view of her being divine so to speak and therefore Teela in a sense is sort of immaculatley conceived. This is my interpretation of what you said because I'm not sure what "parthenogenesis" is. I also enjoy how you refer to MAA as instrumental. Although I like to think there might of been some genuine attraction since she is basically human. (maybe she's a human that can lay eggs?) I like to view the Sorceress in a similarly sacred way, she does remind me of Mary Mother of Christ. However, personally I still like the idea of intimacy between her and Duncan. For me it makes the characters more real and therefore easier to relate to.
    I don't know if you read comics, but there's a book simply titled Joker from DC by Brian Azzarelllo and Lee Bermejo which presents the Joker much more human than I've seen him before, a wider span of behaviors. This is one of my favorite books because the Joker became so real to me.
    Last edited by Ayota; November 9, 2011 at 05:43pm. Reason: more clear