Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display Questions: Dust and Dives

Display Questions: Dust and Dives

I noticed that dust tends to get into a lot of the detailing of my figures and was wondering if anyone has found a good way to effectively dust their figures. I was actually going to try using a can of computer air duster but haven't got around to trying it out yet.

Also, I have a number of figures that love to take dives off the shelf. I purchased one set of the Grayskull stands and need more but don't want to spend the dough.

Has anyone found suitable figure stands that work well?

Thanks!

I use a feather duster and than finish them off with a can of air.
    TB-1089
    Inland Empire Squad Leader
    Southern California Garrison
    501st Legion

Feather dusters just blow around more dust and are already filled w/ dust,dirt, and mites. Air duster is probably the best option. But, again you'll have to use dust cleaner to clean your shelves b/c the dust has to go somewhere when you blow it off. In my collection room I put tin foil around the windows to keep the elements out (sun-heat,cold,moisture which will ultimately destroy your figs. over time.) Investing in a dehumidifier will also help w/ the moisture. Simple things such as vacuuming the floor twice weekly as well will help get rid of unnecessary dust and dirt. If you don't vacuum debris will float around and land on your figs. when you're walking around. No pets is a good thing as well. Hope this helps. I am a little OCD when it comes to having things clean in the environment their in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobshumway View Post
    I noticed that dust tends to get into a lot of the detailing of my figures and was wondering if anyone has found a good way to effectively dust their figures. I was actually going to try using a can of computer air duster but haven't got around to trying it out yet.
    I use the dishwasher.....

....I am NOT kidding.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I use a small marinating brush. Works great.

Brushes are the best. You have to find the right one though (not too soft, not too rough). I've been brushing my vintage collection for the last 10 years and it works just fine.
    Let the power return!!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I use an old very soft toothbrush and a can of air. I also use a sham wow towel and water with a spray bottle to clean up the figures. (DO NOT USE ON MOSS-MAN) It really does a good job of cleaning.

Because of dust, I don't display my Moss-man. It's very hard to completely clean him without removing some flock. I don't know what they did in the 80's but it was so much better than what they do now.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Warrior

Cleaning figures and statues

By displaying my statues and figures, they've become pretty dusty. Is it safe to use canned air to clean them? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks.

What do you use to clean your figures?

I could have sworn there was already a thread for this but I could not find it.

What do you use to clean your figures?

I use a damp cloth but I have heard the anti static cloths work really well. The damp cloth isn't the best as it leaves particles and I want some more suggestions to use a better method

Swifer Duster ALL the way!

No water no drying no soap residue or chemical reaction!

Then...u just throw the cloth out...good ol' USA!

EDIT:

Actually I use these on ALL my toys! Even Vintage She-Ra & MH. It pulls dust right off without messing up rooted hair even! Also can I tell you how BRILLIANT these are for LEGO kits assembled...BRILLIANT I tell you!

I use a microfiber mitt, like one would use to wash a car. It picks the dust up off of the figures and is soft enough not to scratch them, plus I can use it dry so no liquids are needed.

It looks like this...

microfiber-chenille-mitt~5690987w.jpg

Plus it is "green" so it reduces my environmental footprint.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I use the dishwasher on low temperatures.

It is fast and works pretty well. A few (obvious) exceptions, like Grizzlor, Mossman and Roboto, only get wiped.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I use Plexus and a Terry (towel) cloth. With a Terry cloth you don't have to worry about lint being left behind, instead, it leaves the figures looking nice and clean. Plexus is specifically made for cleaning plastic among a couple of other purposes. Works a treat on vintage figures as well.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

Heroic Warrior

Cleaning loose figures

Was just looking at my loose figures and there's a ton of dust build up, any suggestions on the best way to clean your loose figure.

Thanks.

I do it with a damp cloth with just a little water, not any quimic Im afraid the paint will suffer any damage.

I use a very soft paint or nail brush. A fan brush work really well too.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Swiffer Dusters are a toy collectors best friend! I do a lite dusting once a week to prevent build up.

Heroic Warrior
    Yep- just a damp cloth.

If there's any actual dirt stuck 2 them, use mild handsoap (or something Dove-like). Harshest you can go is an old soft toothbrush.

One major advantage to a MOSC collection....

I personally use a duster every so often, but my figures are all displayed in a nice sized walk in closet in my office, no windows, no heat vents....hardly any dust whatsoever. So little in fact I can go months without dusting, and hardly notice any at all....assuming I keep the door closed, most of the time I do, the closet has a good light in it, meaning you can view everything perfectly with little to no need for the door to be open while you're inside looking at the figures.

But this is exactly why I don't like loose collections, but since mine ended up being this way....I am thankful for my closet otherwise I'd have some sort of display case....I hate dusting, let alone 100+ loose and boxed figures.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Snappy Threader
    I'm always cleaning mine with a can of air, like weekly........I found with some other figures (and vehicles) if you let dust build up, it is hard to get them clean looking again. I have used water before on loose ebay purchases to "sanitize" them so to speak.

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    I use a microfiber mitt, like one would use to wash a car. It picks the dust up off of the figures and is soft enough not to scratch them, plus I can use it dry so no liquids are needed.

It looks like this...

microfiber-chenille-mitt~5690987w.jpg

Plus it is "green" so it reduces my environmental footprint.
    I use exactly the same thing. It works wonderfully.

I also use my vacuum cleaner with the hose attachment. My vacuum came with a soft bristle brush so there is no danger in damaging the figure. I am always careful to remove all the accessories and I never use it on painted plastic figures such as DB Skeletor, I don't want to take any chances on scratching him up. I've found that it's a fast, clean and effective way of dusting my figures.

Air can really is the best option
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by Barnster View Post
    I use the dishwasher.....

....I am NOT kidding.
    you use your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    you use your wife?

Awesome!

About every other month I take each figure (except Moss Man and King Grayskulls cape) off the shelf and run it under the faucet for a second. Before I set it back on the shelf I use the Swifter duster to wipe the shelf where it goes.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I've slowly been getting glass display cases from Ikea. They're fantastic at keeping dust off the figures!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!