Thread: RIP 24 (Twenty-Four)

RIP 24 (Twenty-Four)

Well, we all saw it coming... ever since they started recycling ideas, the show has become stale and predictable (yet exciting). This will be 24's last season.

http://www.myfoxal.com/Global/story.asp?S=12213521

FOX show '24' will end in May
    Posted: Mar 26, 2010 6:54 PM Updated: Mar 26, 2010 6:54 PM
    ©2009 Fox Broadcasting Co. (photo source Brian Bowen Smith/FOX) ©2009 Fox Broadcasting Co. (photo source Brian Bowen Smith/FOX)

FOX announced Friday that its hit TV show '24' will come to an end when the current season ends in May.

The news was announced Friday in the following news release:

In a joint decision made by 24's star and executive producer Kiefer Sutherland, executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon, Twentieth Century Fox Television, Imagine Entertainment and Fox Broadcasting Company, it was determined that the acclaimed series will end its remarkable eight-season run. Jack Bauer's last day on FOX will conclude when the final two hours of "Day Eight" air Monday, May 24 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT). As the countdown to the series' climactic conclusion races on, the final 11 hours will air uninterrupted Mondays (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Multiple award-winning series star Kiefer Sutherland reflected on the show's run: "This has been the role of a lifetime, and I will never be able to fully express my appreciation to everyone who made it possible. While the end of the series is bittersweet, we always wanted 24 to finish on a high note, so the decision to make the eighth season our last was one we all agreed upon. This feels like the culmination of all our efforts from the writers to the actors to our fantastic crew and everyone at Fox. Looking ahead to the future, Howard Gordon and I are excited about the opportunity to create the feature film version of 24. But when all is said and done, it is the loyal worldwide fan base that made it possible for me to have the experience of playing the role of Jack Bauer, and for that I am eternally grateful."

Executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon said, "Kiefer and I have loved every minute of making 24, but we all believe that now is the right time to call it a day. I echo his sentiments of gratitude toward the show's amazing creative team, as well as the studio and network who have always believed in us and shown us unbelievable support."

"24 is so much more than just a TV show – it has redefined the drama genre and created one of the most admired action icons in television history," said Peter Rice, Chairman, Entertainment, Fox Networks Group. Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company added, "We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series and will be forever thankful to Kiefer, the producers, the cast and crew for everything they've put into 24 over the years. It's truly been an amazing and unforgettable eight days."

"We are so grateful to Kiefer and Howard who have really poured their hearts and souls into making this show over the past eight seasons," commented Gary Newman and Dana Walden, Chairmen, Twentieth Century Fox Television. "To everyone who contributed to this iconic series over its amazing run, we want to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your incredible work.

Added Imagine Entertainment's Brian Grazer, "I'm so proud to have been a part of 24, which has become such a cultural phenomenon. And to Kiefer and Howard and everyone who has worked on the show, many thanks."

Now in its eighth season with Kiefer Sutherland starring as the heroic Jack Bauer, the inventive and suspenseful 24 has been nominated for a total of 68 Emmy Awards, winning for Outstanding Drama Series in 2006. Over the course of seven seasons, Sutherland garnered seven Emmy nominations and one win for Outstanding Lead Actor – Drama Series. While the series gained global recognition, Sutherland's portrayal of the legendary character penetrated the American psyche like no other dramatic television character to become part of the English lexicon.

Premiering November 6, 2001, 24 employed a pioneering split-screen, fast-paced format with complex interweaving storylines as viewers followed anti-terrorism agent Jack Bauer through 24 pulse-pounding episodes, each covering one hour and presented in real time. Subsequent seasons combined the show's unique and trend-setting format while delivering compelling new elements and attracting talented actors and guest stars, including the Emmy Award-winning Cherry Jones (President Allison Taylor). The series also currently stars Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe O'Brian), Anil Kapoor (Omar Hassan), Annie Wersching (Renee Walker), Katee Sackhoff (Dana Walsh), Mykelti Williamson (Brian Hastings), Freddie Prinze Jr. (Cole Ortiz), Chris Diamantopoulos (Rob Weiss) and John Boyd (Arlo Glass).

The first six seasons were set in Los Angeles, and following the strike-induced delay of Season Seven, "24: Redemption," a two-hour film bridging Seasons Six and Seven, was set in Africa. Washington, D.C. was the setting for Season Seven, and the final season of 24 finds Jack Bauer thwarting a terrorist attack in New York.

At the conclusion of Season Eight, 24 will have a produced a total of 194 episodes (including "24: Redemption"), making it one of the longest-running action television shows in history.

Tune in Monday, March 29 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for the next all-new installment of 24 and Monday, April 5 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) for a special two-hour episode.

Created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran, 24 is a production of 20th Century Fox Television and Imagine Television in association with Teakwood Lane Productions. Howard Gordon, Evan Katz, David Fury, Manny Coto, Brannon Braga, Brad Turner, Alex Gansa, Kiefer Sutherland and Brian Grazer are executive producers, while Chip Johannessen and Patrick Harbinson serve as co-executive producers. Brad Turner will direct the series finale.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I think it's had it's time. It was a great show and really upped peoples game for tv series

RIP 24, I wonder what your replacement will be

I only got into the show 3 seasons ago and I have already said this season is just like the previous 3. And I never saw the first 4-5 seasons. So it really has to be repetitive.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

After the strike-enforced break, Day 7 seemed to be a return to form after things got a bit stale with 5 & 6. Now Day 8 is a bit repetitive. Makes me think they should have had a year off between every season to ensure they had some good original ideas each time.

Long overdue. Now the movie franchise will start. Hopefully that breaths some fresh air into the property. I know I for one would find a movie where jack takes on the Mexican drug cartel quite a guilty pleasure with everything going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by madara View Post
    Long overdue. Now the movie franchise will start. Hopefully that breaths some fresh air into the property. I know I for one would find a movie where jack takes on the Mexican drug cartel quite a guilty pleasure with everything going on there.
    Didn't he do this in Season 3?

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I only got into the show 3 seasons ago and I have already said this season is just like the previous 3. And I never saw the first 4-5 seasons. So it really has to be repetitive.
    I seem to remember that the first three 3 seasons were somewhat unique. While terrorist threats were still a part of it, the focus' of the seasons were different. For example, season one was about protecting a black senator who could potentially become the first black president. Season three has Jack as a recovering ****** after going undercover for a Mexican drug cartel. Meanwhile, we got to explore what it meant to be Jack Bauer and there were storylines that were told slowly over the course of those seasons. These mini arcs were cool because it made you realize that you were really only getting a glimpse into these people's lives over the course of 24 hours... you can't know someone in a day. The timing of events were also more accurate.

These past three seasons, it's been the same thing: focus on stopping a terrorist threat on US soil. You don't learn anything else about Jack's past anymore (and he has a very cool past). Background storylines that start in previous seasons don't carry over (unless they are foreground storylines). Even the accuracy of timing started getting sloppy around seasons 5 or 6 --- somehow, Jack and the team are able to suit up, get in the car and drive down the block in a matter of 5 minutes. Though, Season 5 is still my favorite season because it was building on the show's history thus far.

My conclusion: blame it on Brannon Braga! He made Star Trek stale and as soon as he joined the 24 staff, he made that show stale too!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Didn't he do this in Season 3?
    Yeah wasnt there a brief story early in that season with him still in USA at a dealer house? I admit it not completely original but it would still be fun to see him go deep into Mexico and take out some cartels that you hear on the news decapitating anyone that tries to stop them.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    No show can last forever, except for the Simpsons and Saturday Night Live. I have to agree that the stories have gone stale. How many bad days can Jack have?
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I watched this show religiously for the first 6 seasons. I missed the 2 hour movie they had between seasons 6 & 7 and before I know it, season 7 finished and they were starting season 8. While I liked it for the most part, I hated that they kept killing off characters I liked. I doubt I'll ever get around to watching the last 2 seasons but I wouldn't mind if they got around to making that theatrical movie they've always hinted about.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Yeah wasnt there a brief story early in that season with him still in USA at a dealer house?
    I believe he was in prison and he had been working in Mexico undercover. I won't spoil too much past that.

it would still be fun to see him go deep into Mexico and take out some cartels that you hear on the news decapitating anyone that tries to stop them.
    I agree that it would be awesome. Unfortunately, everything I've read about a potential movie has talked about placing him in Europe. Not bad, but it wouldn't be Mexico.

about time. .. its ran its course.. literally.

had some great shows. i enjoyed it then.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    about time. .. its ran its course.. literally.

had some great shows. i enjoyed it then.
    I know, Carlo. You used to be an active participant in 24 threads, but I started to see you get bored of it... for reasons we've already discussed. Go to see you on this thread, though.

I have never seen a single episode from this show. I'm assuming it was really good because it went for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Orakk View Post
    I have never seen a single episode from this show. I'm assuming it was really good because it went for a few seasons.
    Try 8 seasons... more than a few. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    Try 8 seasons... more than a few. LOL!
    Well there you go. That's how out of touch I am, lol. Where can I see this? Hulu?

Well there you go. That's how out of touch I am, lol. Where can I see this? Hulu?
    Don't think Hulu has them. So, I would check your local library. (Seriously.)

Found it on Hulu. I'll start watching it, though I'll probably regret it when I'm through since there won't be anymore.

Found it on Hulu. I'll start watching it, though I'll probably regret it when I'm through since there won't be anymore.
    Wait... where do you find Season 1? I can only find the latest season, and with the latest episodes: http://www.hulu.com/24

A good show is a good show regardless of age. I saw Six Feet Under loooooong after it went off the air, and I don't regret it. Especially since people still talk about it regularly on IMDB.

Once 'The Simpsons' gets canceled, 'American Idol' will see to that it will last as long than they did. (Or as long as 'Cops') Becoming the oligarchy of Fox, and the music industry. Airing twice a night with no new shows in sight to dethrone Simon's reign of tyranny!

i only made it to hour 3 of the first day before I had had enough of it so all I can say is it is about time it finished
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

you guys catch last nights EP?

that was pretty good.. i've catched some last ep's and the tension has built up so much for next week.

and from the previews looks damn awesome on how it will end.. aghh.. the built up

when jack captured the prez from the limo was an awesome scene.

his all black armor suit and mask was da bomb.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Well, I guess I spoke too soon!!! . Jack is back... What did you guys think about the premiere tonight? Felt very 24ish... With some British overtones. Yeah!!!