Page 14 of 130 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster High

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I looked at them today, but I couldn't pull the trigger. Though to be honest if they had Abbey or Spectra (those were two of the ones that really appealed to me) I might have broke. For some reason I had it in my head they were $17 (I think that's how much they are on Mattel's site) but for $22 each I don't think I can do it - especially with having both the MOTUC and Voltron subs next year. I'll just have to admire from afar.
    They vary depending on time of the year, if you wait till Nov they will go on sale for ~$17
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    I broke down and bought Abbey on eBay. Whereas Spectra appears to have a new head sculpt, Abbey has new hands.

Congrats on the find! I love Abbey!! She too has a unique head sculpt, as do all of the dolls. The original girls' sculpts do look similar, but they have differences, like draculaura has pointy ears, clawdeen has wolf ears, Cleo has a more angular face and Lagoona has fin ears to name a few.

Each new character has had a brand new head sculpt, even the boys (jackson and holt share a mold, but for a reason).

It's just another great example of the thought and detail put into this line!

You look pretty pumped for somebody without a pulse

Break a leg, break 'em both

Don't Cleopatronize me

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
    Congrats on the find! I love Abbey!! She too has a unique head sculpt, as do all of the dolls. The original girls' sculpts do look similar, but they have differences, like draculaura has pointy ears, clawdeen has wolf ears, Cleo has a more angular face and Lagoona has fin ears to name a few.

Each new character has had a brand new head sculpt, even the boys (jackson and holt share a mold, but for a reason).

It's just another great example of the thought and detail put into this line!
    Huh. You're right! They are similar, but I guess they are all different. With Spectra, it's the most noticeable, because of her super sharp cheekbones.

Great news! The new case pack (I didn't unpack it so I'm not 100% on this) appears to be 2 new Frankies, 2 new Lagoonas, 3 Spectras and 3 Abbeys! Looks like Mattel is trying to get the new girls out!
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; September 12, 2011 at 10:33am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

We were at Walmart this past weekend and they were clearancing out some Monster High stuff. I am assuming to make way for Christmas

Various Beach and Dance Dolls were $10
    The Dawn of the Dance 3 Pack was $20
    Frankies Bed was $17

I know Walmart clearance is dependent on stores but its something to keep an eye out for
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I just bought a new bookcase to display my MH dolls. I had them on the bottom two shelves of another bookcase, but have a new puppy and he kept chewing things. He chewed up Clawd Wolf's gargoyle dog and Spectra's ferret is... gone, so I imagine it suffered a similar fate. I went looking for something the other day and kept telling myself I had no place to put a new bookcase or table or whatever. Then Jelly Bean (my puppy) got ahold of Abbey Bominable and I was like, "Whatever. I'll make room!" (I suspect he went after her in particular because her fur is like that on his plush toys that he chews on.)

I got a replacement Abbey today, luckily. I think I was wrong about the case packs, earlier. It looks like there are FOUR Abbeys per case and just two Spectras. And I forgot, it also includes two of the old Ghoulias. So 2X New Frankie, 2X New Lagoona, 2X Old Ghoulia, 2X Spectra, 4X Abbey. Like I said, I didn't unpack them... it's possible this was two cases.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    We were at Walmart this past weekend and they were clearancing out some Monster High stuff. I am assuming to make way for Christmas

Various Beach and Dance Dolls were $10
    The Dawn of the Dance 3 Pack was $20
    Frankies Bed was $17

I know Walmart clearance is dependent on stores but its something to keep an eye out for
    Thx for the heads up, I can fillout the 11 YOs collection and start one for the 4 YO (and save for xmas).

BTW: I posted previously about the Day at the Maul dolls and completeists..... I hava a question for you completeists: Are any of you adult collectors buying the youth tees that Walmart sells?

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Thx for the heads up, I can fillout the 11 YOs collection and start one for the 4 YO (and save for xmas).

BTW: I posted previously about the Day at the Maul dolls and completeists..... I hava a question for you completeists: Are any of you adult collectors buying the youth tees that Walmart sells?
    I have not seen the tees yet, depending on what they look like my wife might get them. She buys MLP and Care Bear ones when they show up in the youth tee section

Also I priced checked Draculaura's bed this morning and got it for $11

They also had some of the new revised dolls for $10 (the Clawdeen, Frankie, and Cleo that ship with Spectra's case)

The shelf tag still said $21.97 so you might need to check but I get the sense they want the shelf space for the more expensive beds that come with dolls

I reviewed the second year line on my blog. Check it out!

I have not seen the tees yet, depending on what they look like my wife might get them. She buys MLP and Care Bear ones when they show up in the youth tee section

Also I priced checked Draculaura's bed this morning and got it for $11

They also had some of the new revised dolls for $10 (the Clawdeen, Frankie, and Cleo that ship with Spectra's case)

The shelf tag still said $21.97 so you might need to check but I get the sense they want the shelf space for the more expensive beds that come with dolls

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/...87942225_n.jpg
    My girls and I have seen most of the shirts in this link (aside from the ones with rhinestones) @ walmart for $7... Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1316208416

The bed for $11 and the standard dolls for $10 are both absolute steals!

thx again for the heads up

definitely love those girlz...
    + Villain Power +

I've got a fever , and the only cure is more dead angels...

Live by honour , kill by stealth- Kunoichi Setzuna at your service

Are any of you adult collectors buying the youth tees that Walmart sells?
    We had some of these on clearance and I was sooooo close to buying one but I'm a bit on the *ahem* top-heavy side and there was just no way the girls were fitting in to that tiny t-shirt lol

Newest Monster High character revealed

Operetta is the daughter of the Phantom of the Opera

I know I don't have much say since I'm not currently collecting these, but am I the only one who wishes that there was a little more "monster" influence on the characters? Sometimes I have to really squint, if I don't know the name of the character ahead of time, in order to even pick up on which "classic monster" the character is supposedly related to.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I know I don't have much say since I'm not currently collecting these, but am I the only one who wishes that there was a little more "monster" influence on the characters? Sometimes I have to really squint, if I don't know the name of the character ahead of time, in order to even pick up on which "classic monster" the character is supposedly related to.
    I can see that to some extent but I would say in the entire line the only ones you really have to think hard about are the more human ones: Cleo, Clawdeen, Jackson, Holt, Clawd, and Duece. They have much more regular doll features and I don't think are played up as much as they could be.

I mean Lagoona is the most obvious, as is Frankie, Draculaura, Ghoulia, Spectra, Abbey, and the Arachnid chick. If you have to squint and think about what monster or scary influence they are then you are just nitpicking because those have monster specific things all over to distinguish them.

I can see that to some extent but I would say in the entire line the only ones you really have to think hard about are the more human ones: Cleo, Clawdeen, Jackson, Holt, Clawd, and Duece. They have much more regular doll features and I don't think are played up as much as they could be.

I mean Lagoona is the most obvious, as is Frankie, Draculaura, Ghoulia, Spectra, Abbey, and the Arachnid chick. If you have to squint and think about what monster or scary influence they are then you are just nitpicking because those have monster specific things all over to distinguish them.
    I'm not trashing these since, with a monster influence or not, they are still nice looking dolls. This was more of just something I've noticed more & more. If I hadn't either seen the webisodes or read their names, I wouldn't have known Ghoulia was a ghoul/zombie, Clawdeen/Clawd were werewolves and not catpeople, or Abbey was part abominable snowman. Other than not having human skin tones, I feel the monster influence is subtle. Although, I feel if they went even farther with the monster aspects, they might turn off a lot of their current fans(ie young girls), so what do I know?

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm not trashing these since, with a monster influence or not, they are still nice looking dolls. This was more of just something I've noticed more & more. If I hadn't either seen the webisodes or read their names, I wouldn't have known Ghoulia was a ghoul/zombie, Clawdeen/Clawd were werewolves and not catpeople, or Abbey was part abominable snowman. Other than not having human skin tones, I feel the monster influence is subtle. Although, I feel if they went even farther with the monster aspects, they might turn off a lot of their current fans(ie young girls), so what do I know?
    Yeah I think they walk a fine line between monster and monstrosity, its hard to see in the packages as well. Abbey for example looks much more like a yetti when you have her in hand and can see her hands and stuff

I am not sure how you would not know Ghoulia was a zombie, I mean her face should give that indication

But I agree, the werewolves especially are a bit too subtle for me, remove the pointy ears and the teeth and Clawd and Clawdeen could be regular people dolls like Cleo and Jackson.

I am happy though that some of the newer dolls like Spectra and the upcoming Spider Girl have more blatent features (since Spectra is translucent plastic and the Arachnid has extra arms).

Yeah I think they walk a fine line between monster and monstrosity, its hard to see in the packages as well.
    That might be the problem. The closest I've come to one of these is the display case they had at Target for the first wave. I know it's only a matter of time before I break down & buy one(or more) of them, but not wanting to get into collecting something on top of MOTUC, Voltron, and the possibility of future purchases of Thundercats & Young Justice has kept me in check so far.

JOIN THE GROUP...

I'm more inclined to agree with Mr. S than Mark. I don't think the monstrous aspects are as overt as some would like but do understand that these are geared toward young (6-13) girls so we're not going to be getting Living Dead Dolls...... Unfortunately they are running out of (have run out?) of the true recognizable "Universal Monsters" so we are going to be subjected to less and less "monsterfied" characters, see: Operetta. I hope they are able to come up with more imaginative dolls like the spider gal.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...73921865_n.jpg
    I LOVE her! I love that she's rockabilly! The tats, the Betty Page bangs, the dice earrings, the black and white school girl shoes (with note heels!), I love it all!

As for the topic of more or less monstrous dolls, it's totally true. My bestfriend doesn't want Clawdeen or Cleo. Cleo doesn't sell in any format and the new one doesn't actually have ANY bandaging! Some of her accessories "imply" bandages, but she's not actually bandaged up! She's pretty, but I think the appeal for both adults and kids is that these are supposed to be monsters!
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; September 17, 2011 at 09:27pm.

Unfortunately they are running out of (have run out?) of the true recognizable "Universal Monsters" so we are going to be subjected to less and less "monsterfied" characters, see: Operetta. I hope they are able to come up with more imaginative dolls like the spider gal.
    They ran out pretty much after Wave 1

I mean the only two big names in the Universal Monsters we have not seen is the Invisible Man/Woman and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

But we have got Dracula, Frankestein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, and now the Phantom of the Opera.

And I think they are doing a pretty good job coming up with creative additions, we have

-Ghoulia : Zombie
    -Spectra: Ghost
    -Abbey: Yetti
    -a Siren/Banshee
    -a Spider
    -a Headless Headmaster

its a sight to behold, I am not sure a doll line has ever been this diverse before. I mean by next year we will have 14 unique characters and this is before we see Clawdeen and Cleo's sisters. I suppose maybe JEM or She-Ra (if you count She-Ra as dolls) in the 80's.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...73921865_n.jpg
    I saw her earlier today. I'm not impressed with her. I had no idea what she was supposed to be since I only saw the picture earlier. It would be nice if she at least had the mask, you know? I don't understand the spider influences all over her...or the guitar. A strap-on keyboard would have made more sense.

I like them all, but Scarah and this one. They don't seem to really fit in, in my opinion.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

They ran out pretty much after Wave 1

I mean the only two big names in the Universal Monsters we have not seen is the Invisible Man/Woman and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

But we have got Dracula, Frankestein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Mummy, The Wolf Man, Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, and now the Phantom of the Opera.

And I think they are doing a pretty good job coming up with creative additions, we have

-Ghoulia : Zombie
    -Spectra: Ghost
    -Abbey: Yetti
    -a Siren/Banshee
    -a Spider
    -a Headless Headmaster

its a sight to behold, I am not sure a doll line has ever been this diverse before. I mean by next year we will have 14 unique characters and this is before we see Clawdeen and Cleo's sisters. I suppose maybe JEM or She-Ra (if you count She-Ra as dolls) in the 80's.
    What about the Bride Of Frankenstein? Since these characters usually seem to change sexes from the monster they are based on, I guess it would have to be the "groom" with black & white Kramer-like hair.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    What about the Bride Of Frankenstein? Since these characters usually seem to change sexes from the monster they are based on, I guess it would have to be the "groom" with black & white Kramer-like hair.
    They should make a MALE character based on the Bride of Frankenstein, because Frankie Stein is based on Frankenstein!

EDIT: D'UH! Multi-tasking didn't help me there. My response was basically exactly what you said. I just Matty'd you!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 17, 2011 at 11:55pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Yeah those ones confused me as to how they would work, I suppose we could get Frankie a sister or brother (or boyfriend) from that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I saw her earlier today. I'm not impressed with her. I had no idea what she was supposed to be since I only saw the picture earlier. It would be nice if she at least had the mask, you know? I don't understand the spider influences all over her...or the guitar. A strap-on keyboard would have made more sense.

I like them all, but Scarah and this one. They don't seem to really fit in, in my opinion.
    Yeah I think even if she was ok looking in the face having the half mask or whatever would have been a nice touch. Kind of like Destro to wear the familial mask

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    WOW!!!! Operetta is superb! Guess I was on the money when I made up a list of potential 'Parents'. and had the Phantom near the top of the list!! Cool!

Last week we finally got the DOTD 2nd wave here in Aus! I Love Deuce most. Great outfit!

I also caved and bought Abbey from Amazon! she arrived the same day as the DOTD dolls were released!...so BIG MH day for me!

I had to wash and style Ghoulias hair, and I wish I could do the same with Lagoonas, but I know I couldnt match the Mohawk. so Ill hafta just put up with it! Great dolls though!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]