Page 113 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3247

Thread: Monster High

I think that set of dolls was always supposed to be released in 2013, including the Headmistress.

mattel has been good about showing a few dolls from assortments up to a year away with this line, but they tend to not show all the dolls for them. Now some dolls do get a preview closer to their launch though. But for the most part they are showing off stuff that can be up to a year away to keep interest going strong in the line over time.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Mattel was smart- they marketed through Facebook and Youtube. They also did the right thing for the fiction and didn't make "yet another" cartoon for girls of going to the salon and merely shopping for clothes. MLP G3.5 and Bratz seem regarded mostly as garbage thanks to that(not that G3.5 looking like a cross between marshmallows and Lovecraftian horrors helped any). MLP FIM also did well because it wasn't a watered down "fashion fame and boys" thing. MGA also seems to be going in this direction as the Bratzillaz webisodes have that same "Tex Avery mixed with Whitest Kids U Know" feel that MH and LITD have.

MH has slipped though. Some of the recent webisodes have felt bland, and the Abbey/Heath felt like on that was delayed as they sold wave 2 SO Cleo in it. II think dedicating webisode uplaod days to the toy commercials and We Stop Hate also bugged people. Their once a month schedule is also falling behind the once a week schedule of Bratzillaz and even Barbie is every 1-2 weeks. The scooter and mall episodes felt like a return to form but that new year's one felt a bit... out of place? I don't mind using them to sell the new toys, because cartoons based on toy lines exist to be disguised product ads, but some do it well, others seem more blatant. There are also the odd moments where some new doll or product gets 2 seconds of screen time, and I have to wonder if newer styles would sell better if they'd only change the animation models to let them wear new clothes. This is why people want the original signature dolls so much because that's what they wear 99% of the time.

I think the webisodes have been a bit off because they have put more effort into the specials.

I do agree the randomness right now of when webisodes comes out and the writing haven't been up to what it was before. Many are clamoring for multi story arcs which allow the characters to feel more like characters, I also feel they have become a bit to preachy on the moral lesson. But I think I said this before, there is a reason people love Seuss.

I won't need to scale back that much myself, since I was mainly sticking with one of each character to open, and only particular sublines. I got my skull shores set complete, Ghoul's rule is done, and now I wait for the superhero line and any new unique characters I like. Catrine is the only one of that I am looking forward to atm, and an opener for Toralei. I might get two of Katrine when she comes out instead of waiting for a possible second doll.
    Last edited by wyldman11; January 3, 2013 at 12:44pm.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

As long as Mattel has MattyCollector MH will never die, they can make enough money solely producing limited numbers of dolls and putting them on the internet ala Barbie's Collector line. We are entering Year 4, if they were smart the first sign of slowing down in retail they would introduce a subscription service for MH and let retail play out as it will.

The assumption MH needs retail to survive is not valid at this point, retail is only needed to establish a brand but once that brand is a success its easier to spin it off into smaller production numbers and cut out the middle man. Doll collectors who are also MH fans (which there are a lot) as well as those in other countries (75% of my sales tbh) will eat the dolls up as going online makes the "limited" aspect that much more of a driving force.

You guys do not realize how much Mattel loses having to solicit to Walmart and Target, they move a ton of product but they are also bound to the whims of the toy aisle and declining profit margin. That is why I think we saw them allow the SDCC Exclusive on MattyCollector and are really working hard to keep Mattelshop current with dolls that compete with Amazon in availability and pricing. It was easier to get Scaris from Mattelshop this December then it was any retail store or online store, that is telling on how they are changing things up.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I think if the line moved to Matty Collector and nowhere else I'd give up on it. I don't care for their selling on a schedule business model which leaves almost no actual stock any other time, prices would go up and I'd have to pay shipping. I already don't want to pay $40 each for these dolls. You can also kiss "free replacements for broken dolls" goodbye because it seems Mattel doesn't service anything sold by or branded with Matty- I called about my glue-smeared Retro-Action Egon and even the CS rep I talked to was surprised by that policy. And I think it would be a blow to their profit margin, the average buyer who picks these up in stores would probably just assume the line ended, because how many casual shoppers are even aware of Matty Collector's existence?

I also do not want toyguru involved with the series. I'm frightened we'll get entire doll shipments with arms installed wrong or something. There is not a lot of love for the man even on this message board.

- - - Updated - - -

A bunch of descriptions of upcoming dolls and some low-res grainy leaked pics got posted on tumblr than up on /toy/. I won't repost the pics because Mattel will probably have them pulled anyway but uh, eh... 2 new characters, lots of variants and some dolls with big playsets. 13 Wishes, Ghouls Night Out and some other lines. The bad news, 2 more Draculauras. The good news, 2 more Spectras.

Howleen makes me hear the first season theme from In Living Color in my head for some reason. Not too bad, I suppose if I can't get her signature doll it'll serve as a substitute. It's not the hideous eyesore her dance class doll is. One of the 2 upcoming Lagoonas looks hideous though, the yellow hair is oversaturated.

It does look though like "Monster High" dolls with no subline branding is dead, and 13 Wishes will carry on from Scaris with the new signature dolls. Nothing from the upcoming batch isn't in a themed subtitle series.

Twyla one of the new characters looks a a bit like Katrine and honestly nothing all that special.

Gigi, I will have to see in person. I like the idea of a genie character but just not sure.

I do like Draculuara's shoes from the playset. Most of those are eeh to me. Lagoona looks like a Novi Star, Spectra and Howleen for some reason remind me of a Bratz doll.

Have you guys seen the Midnight Magic knockoffs? I think I saw them at Family Dollar...
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

they were discussed a few pages back as they came out a couple of months ago. They're a nice budget doll line and clothes mostly work with MH.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    they were discussed a few pages back as they came out a couple of months ago. They're a nice budget doll line and clothes mostly work with MH.

I did a search for knockoffs and fakes and didn't find anything. Oh, well. Not my gig, anyway. Just wanted to give people a head's up in case they didn't know about them. I'm out of here

I got Skelita!

I had to get coffee and thought...since I'm here. An entire end cap full of Scaris...but no Deuce. Dosent he come in a different, smaller, box though?

I have a MH curse...whenever I look for them I dont find them. Whenever I am in the store for something else and am like, oh yeah I should check, I find them!

Also. It's easier to buy a $500 - $1000 doll than it is a MH doll. And those come from Japan, China, Korea, etc...

In defense of those collectors...those prices are coming down significantly. However, you do sacrafice quality. The materials are wholly different too. They are not made out of plastic but resin.

Anyhow...

This line isnt going any where soon.

I think anyone whether buying a $5.00 or $1000 toy and hopes to make a return is, IMO, foolish. How many toys have been made that have no value at all...

I dont doubt that MH dolls, signature atleast, will hold value and have an increase...but only after 20+ years when all the kids grow up and do like we do now.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    An entire end cap full of Scaris...but no Deuce. Dosent he come in a different, smaller, box though?
    Yes. Duece, Ghoulia, Draculaura and Abbey come in boxes like Rollermaze and Skull Shores and only include one small accessory. I managed to find all but Duece the Thursday before Christmas by driving all over Louisville, KY... unfortunately he was the one my niece wanted... I think Catrine will be sold in the smaller box, too. Probably special case mixes just for Walmart, I can't see them doing a seperate case just for her like they did with the Ghouls Rule Abbey.

Congrats on Skellita, Jinafire should be easier to find soon because at least one mix has her packed two per case.

They did a special case just for Walmart's Cupid also. Which is what Katrine could be their annual Valentine's day dall.

If anyone is wanting some dolls Big Bad Toy Store appears to have a crapload for preorder and in stock including Scaris
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I haven't posted in a while, but I got the two new Create A Monster packs. The Gorgon/Mummy set is okay. They now come with two sets of hair, one being hard plastic. Still just one pair of shoes though and still really basic clothing which will have to be enhanced or replaced altogether via Etsy. The Blob is fine but my Ice's wig is JACKED! Her bangs are crooked and it's uneven and frizzy all over. Definitely not up to standard. A kid probably wouldn't care, but it bugs the crap out of me.

The add ons, the Siren and Harpy look like real gems, though! I've never seen the add ons in stores, though. Anyone know who sells them?

I have little interst in the dolls(Not cause they're dolls I collect plenty of those just that I DO collect so many perhaps after I complete a few sets I'll consider it but for now no intersting in collecting them) I just saw the movie this morning anfd I must say I rather liked it.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Eh, I just couldn't resist picking up a set.

It wasn't the dolls but the price and the quirky packaging that ultimately did me in

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    The add ons, the Siren and Harpy look like real gems, though! I've never seen the add ons in stores, though. Anyone know who sells them?
    I have not seen the new ones but Walmart and Toys R Us have been the only stores I have ever seen the Add-On packs in any sort of quantity

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I have not seen the new ones but Walmart and Toys R Us have been the only stores I have ever seen the Add-On packs in any sort of quantity
    I only go to those stores on rare occassions. Guess I better start!

Weird...I was just coming in to talk about them!

I think the mummy is fantastic & I love the wrappings on her body! IMO...she makes a MUCH better representation than Cleo...

The gorgon i think is awesome. I love the scaled plate to her face sculpt! I wish there was some color to her snake hair though...I am sure we'll see some amazing OOAK's for it!

I wish the Blob girl did not have glitter in it...but it is a dolls line. I loved the little bubble or ooze on her arms.

The ice girl, again...glitter. My least favorite of the bunch.

I always think the CAM wigs are CRAP! Use the Liv wigs. They are perfect SUPER cheap and way better quality.

Anyhow...I saw mattelshop has come MH items in their sale FYI...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Do you think it has something to do with the amount of last wave CAMs that sit on the shelf.

They tend to run behind on the 2 doll ones. The add-ons seem to fair better. Atleast down here.

I completely agree about the great molded wrappings on the Mummy versus Cleo the ordinary girl who wears clothes that vaguely bring to mind wrappings! The Gorgon is nice as well, and was the one I was mainly interested in. I like glitter! So obviously, I think the Blob and Ice are very nice. The very idea of doing a "Blob" at all is crazy, but they adapted it well, kind of like Venus and Abbey who are based on more inhuman creatures.

I've never seen any of the add on packs at all! I guess the Create A Monsters aren't as popular (or good) as the regular dolls, but even so, rarely does anything Monster High go clearance. Even shelf warmers sell out eventually.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Wow, my Target just got in a mother load. They had the new dance stuff, 4 of each Scaris character sans Deuce, Abbey's bed (did not even know there was one), a Scaris cart playset, and Frankie's dresser set.

Anyway, I picked up the Dance Robecca and I'm a tad disappointed. Her joints are extremely loose and her hat does not lock into her hair, so it falls off every time she bends over. Add on top that she cannot be posed with her head downward touching her hat (that is a nit pick, but that is how I wanted to pose her). Also, the artwork on her box is attrocious. Usually the artwork is pretty cool, but this time it does not even match her. The hair and outfit are vastly different.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

My Wal-mart had the new CAC add-on packs. I like the Harpy more than the Siren, but that may be because the Siren's head sculpt isn't as unique, and she is light on accessories because the mermaid tail probably took up most of the resources. Weird thing is that they were only $7.00 each when I bought them; the last time I bought an add-on it was 10.99. Wasn't going to argue the fact, however.

Haven't seen the new CAC starters, but the Dance Class (only Operetta and Lagoona, though) and Frankie's vanity were in stores. Scaris is becoming easier to find, but sub-sets are still MIA.

------

Put the girls together (didn't have pink limbs for the Harpy so I put her on the white body):

The siren is a bit of a mess. The tail goes on easy enough, but only the pink belt fits decent, and it still has a big gap at the top. The wig is terrible (and I picked the nicest one). But most egregious is that they painted her forearms, and it flakes off bad, revealing a pearlescent blue plastic that better matches the head. Whaaa?!!?!?

Correction: It seems to be just around the wrist connection, not the entire forearm. Still looks bad.

The harpy looks great. Her only detraction is her wings/forearms are a very heavy rubber instead of a light plastic. Good luck posing her arms.
    Last edited by Nekk-ra; January 5, 2013 at 08:13pm.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Found this image of a Jinafire prototype. Seems the final doll cut the fins on her limbs.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    That figure is also missing her hair piece.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Her lips are also green.