Page 102 of 130 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3242

Thread: Monster High

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I heard something about Mattel's Stardoll line getting clearanced out at stores now... at the very least, their boots seem to fit MH and the clothes might fit with some work. Myself, I might get one as I have a 1:6 project in mind, and it'll suit me more than a $60 Phicen body as the Stardolls literally have only 3 POAs and no joint seams. Pretty much a G1 Transformer level toy but also a cheap body.
    Yeah my wife got the entire line at Walmart last week for $8 a doll, she got the fashions on clearance at Target for $7

Oh and Adrian (Staff of Ka) I am sorry I keep enabling you, you are my #1 MH addict
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post

Oh and Adrian (Staff of Ka) I am sorry I keep enabling you, you are my #1 MH addict
    and i am incredibly OK with that

Keep up the good work!!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I got my Bratzillaz Meygana by UPS today... it's okay. The calves are rubber and the stand only really has 1 position, no sliding adjustable MH type waist ring. It attempts to have multiple heights using ratcheting bumps but it works well on paper... the neck seems a bit loose, probably not helped by almost a third of the weight being hair. Speaking of, this ain't near MH quality synthetic hair, it's a bit tangly and stringy and I really had to take the brush to it. Then getting the goggles and hat on were a bit difficult.

It also took me nearly 5 minutes to get it out of the package. I thought MH was bad about deboxing but man... and you really have to be careful, there's ample opportunity to damage the cape and such. By comparison I can debox a MH doll in less than 2 minutes of careful cutting and saving of rubber bands.

Not to say it's a total letdown. The limbs are bigger than MH, meaning more durable pegs. They have waists, which work like Marvel Legends chest joint, upside down. And the inset eyes are rather well done, with unusual patterns for each doll- in this case, snowflakes.

But eh... this is my first exposure to Bratz, and I have to say, there are things that are nice about this, but also things that really fall short. I'm still going to have to do some work to the hair and find a way to tighten the neck joint. And this was really the only one of the five that genuinely interested me enough for a solid purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I found some unboxed photos of the Mystixx dolls- http://www.flickr.com/groups/2062027@N20/pool/with/7901165110/#photo_7901165110

They almost look to be recast off Mattel's parts, with articulation removed. 2 sets of ears on each head, using the wigs to hide the second pair. But $20 each... I know they come with 2 outfits but the body is pretty simple. Eh... that $20 may be the TRU price, maybe Walmart will be cheaper. It might interest me enough to get 1 or 2 of them, the vampire heads look okay.

I suppose when pics of the other 2 dolls show up we'll find out of that one is wearing recasts of Draculaura's boots, because the artwork sure looks like them.

I apologize to all of you, and the fine folks at Mattel for my original complaint that they 'stole' my "Spook Central Elementary" idea more or less. It's just that at the time, my ex who was also my writing partner had split ways, she took with her folders of material containing my ideas, scripts, drawings and more. Before that she and I had discussed pitching the line to Mattel. So when she left, and the Monster High line came out of no where, my mind went to the worst possible situation. Then there was the 'Series Bible' that I had printed up to send to publishers. Well, one of them just vanished, the Post Office said that it was lost. I assumed it was stolen.

Anyway what I am getting at is that after seeing the Mystixx Vampires line and now with the Bratzillaz dolls... if anyone is ripping of anyone, it's them ripping off Mattel. Yeesh, right down to the sculpt-types, clothing styles, packaging and the silly catchphrases. I'm not saying they are bad, but it's obvious that they didn't try hard enough to make it their own thing instead of clearly capitalizing on Mattel's line.
    Last edited by Voice_Guy; September 17, 2012 at 01:52am.
    ----------------
    Creator of Spook Central Elementary
    Writer of stuff!
    . \o/ - "Hail to the king baby ! "
    .. |
    . / \

Mystixx is... well, clearly they recast Mattel molds. Looks like the CAM body as I saw a pic of the neck without a head, it's just a simple ball joint. The character art and even bios are pretty obviously knocked off. I also really worry that the back of the head will have a visible face that's not even covered by a wig. A neat gimmick and concept otherwise...

Though how many "tiny hourglass body with watermelon head" stylized monster dolls can there be now? I heard suggested, and agree with the idea that Mystixx will sell simply because MH will be sold out and parents will want SOMETHING to buy for their kids.

Yeah I imagine they will have decent sales when MH is sold out and these things are basically copies

I mean the entire Mystixx line reminds me of the bootlegs I see overseas in Hong Kong
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

now there is the Novi stars line from the bratz makers, at least they are acknowledging that the bratz designs look like aliens.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Mystixx does seem like a recast Mattel molds, but it's the Bratzillaz that irk me. Mattel loses the ability to make/sell them. They create Monster High, now the makers of Bratz see how successful Monster High is and decide to do "their own" version. Sure, they're witches not monsters but the gimmick is the same (having pets), the packaging is the same even the sculpts look similar to me. Enough is enough, when do we see something new and interesting come along instead of ripping off one another? I mean even Monster High is a take on the Bratz line, they just added a new twist.
    ----------------
    Creator of Spook Central Elementary
    Writer of stuff!
    . \o/ - "Hail to the king baby ! "
    .. |
    . / \

Bratzillaz bodies are probably closer to the Cy Girls standard than most doll bodies are, and their limbs are much thicker. Here's a ZC Girl and MH standing next to a Bratzillaz doll

Quote Originally Posted by Voice_Guy View Post
    Enough is enough, when do we see something new and interesting come along instead of ripping off one another? I mean even Monster High is a take on the Bratz line, they just added a new twist.
    Saying Monster High is a rip off of Bratz is like saying all action figures are rip offs of each other. Its a doll so everything is basically a rip off Barbie.

Monster High is a action figure doll, it shares more in common with the ridiculously expensive Japanese collectors dolls then anything before in the American market. The distribution and design/case packs are patterned after the male action figure market which is what sets it apart from other competing doll lines.

MH is close to the 1:6 standard, Bratzillaz even closer with the floating waist.

The 1960s GI Joe body that Hasbro came up with was heavily articulated compared to Barbie. I don't know what Hasbro's short-lived female nurse body was like though but the male body was "movable fighting man" for a reason. Then the 90s came along and Hasbro took about 6 steps back. Even their late 90s body was inferior to the 60s body. Then Takara came up with Cy Girls... and really forced the 1:6 market to try harder. ZC Girl, Triad and all the other female bodies have used that as their standard since then. And BBI partnered with Takara to import Cy Girls to the US(no doubt Hasbro pulled their usual "females don't sell" excuse and wimped out of the deal) which prompted BBI to come up with a new male soldier body and every company since(shy of Hasbro, who just gave up) has gone with that and improved. The current female standard is Triad's Otaku(with "seamless" bodies taking hold, but the tech still has a few years to perfect itself) and Hot Toys being the male standard.

MH takes cues from 1:6 but it's still short a waist, chest, and double joints. Bratzillaz is a bit closer with the waist but still had some ways to go. However, more parts mean more cost, and a lot of doll collectors probably don't care if it has things like double joints or a thigh swivel so I'd not count much on seeing 1:6 bodies in doll brands. Though MH copies the removable hands, which Takara really pushed in Cy Girls(probably a fallback to Microman)... if only they could make new hands to swap with the generic "open palm", maybe hands made to hold accessories. Although the 1mm thin wrist peg is a hindrance to easy part swapping(standard for 1:6 is 3mm, in a wrist better designed to allow the hand to come out).

Well pics surfaced this weekend of re-released fashion packs with new hands for the dolls that can grasp the items they come with

Asian Ball Joint Doll (ABJD)
    20111109103213874aaaak,kkk.jpg
    She's about 18" though.
    So it is more of a doll than an action figure. Its a doll with action figure articulation. They rock. I would like to see smaller scale figures with this kind of customizing options. I think its only a matter of time for the US to catch onto the customizing, the making it yours by yourself (eyes, hair, face, clothes).
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

They do make those in smaller sizes and scales, as well as "child" type bodies. But you usually have to paint the faces, or at the very least glue eyes in, and being made in Asia they only seem available in light caucasian or very pale flesh tones. But the bodies themselves are also usually much more modular than even standard 1:6 stuff.

Oh yeah...I have 3. Males actually.

You dont have to paint the face at all. All of the companies you order from will actually do that for you (for a fee of course). Some companies will even allow you to do a custom "face-up".

They actually come in a wide variety of flesh tones not to mention more & more "fantasy" colors like green, red, blue, purple, etc.

The bodies are made of resin & is a far more superior material than "Barbie plastic". Very few companies are doing a 1:6 scale in resin. Perhaps its just more difficult to do at that scale??? Not too sure on that one.

The customizers who do amazing MH customs, I can almost promise have an ABJD at home.

But alas like I said...just so few are doing this in a 1:6 scale. Id like to see this translated into a retail kind of market thing. With 1:6 action figures that you can pop the eyes out & switch up head/hair caps. stuff like that. Great stuff for people who have the imagination but not the artistic training to do a quality custom.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

ZC Girl tried removable eyes that could be posed and swapped but it looks like their current stuff ditched that. I guess it just wasn't proving a big enough selling point to invest in. Hair... most male figures still use sculpted hair. The one I used for my Cobra Commander is perhaps the only male head I've seen with rooted hair, and the material was about that used in a paint brush(which I guess is on par for Ignite's overall quality from what I hear). Females often do rooted, some sculpted. The preference is rooted as sculpted blocks of long hair interfere with articulation, though Sideshow's Baroness will have sculpted. Heads actually aren't as modular to swap on females as you'd think and I've got some small stress marks on the inner body from removing that head a few times(which is why it wasn't fully attached in the above photo- I'll reattach it later when the coat is made).

In a way, I'm waiting to see when one of the 1:6 companies latches onto the Monster High fad, and releases more "mature" monster women that leans more towards myth and horror.

- - - Updated - - -

On a side note, Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse is... just weird. best way I can describe it...

this...

plus this...

equals this

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Well pics surfaced this weekend of re-released fashion packs with new hands for the dolls that can grasp the items they come with
    I was JUST thinking that I wished they had some closed hand options! YAY! Also its a smart way to move those fasion packs to include the hands. Cause now I might buy some lol

Also... MARK I LOVE YOU! MY BOX FULL OF MONSTER HIGH GOODnESS IS AMAZING!!

In a way, I'm waiting to see when one of the 1:6 companies latches onto the Monster High fad, and releases more "mature" monster women that leans more towards myth and horror.
    I know Triad Toys has been working the last couple of years on trying to get something like that out, but so far all they've released are the human monster hunters, and the actual monsters are still in the planning stages.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

The new webisode is up on Youtube, Robecca gets her debut.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    My g/f walked into TRU today and they were putting out 3 cases of the Venus and Robecca stuff, so we now have Venus. I think we have everyone we wanted now until Jinafire comes out.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    A couple of weeks ago I found some knock-off jigsaw puzzles at Dollar Tree. These images are from Amazon sellers which have the puzzles at $4-$10 each (gotta say I much prefer Dollar Tree's price), was wondering if any of you might have seen other merchadise featuring the "Fashion Monsters" floating around. I like the character designs a lot and I'm going to work on some customs based on them.

Emma Stitch

Alucarda Vein

Pyra Mids

Canina Fang

The new webisode is up on Youtube, Robecca gets her debut.
    On a similar note, the episode about Ghoulia's scooter has been posted on TRU's website.

EDIT: Just visited Matty Collector and a pop-up asked me to take a survey about MC.com. Interesting that they listed Monster High as one of the lines. Not sure if everyone is getting the survey or not, but it might be a good idea to check and let them know if you'd like more MH product offered there...
    Last edited by Jim_Abell; September 21, 2012 at 10:11am. Reason: Edited again to add the MattyCollector survey info

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I love the outfit on Alucarda.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I have to say, something about the new webisode bugged me... and it's the fact that, again, Draculaura is portrayed as being very, very stupid.

I mean, she's 1600 years old. Modern cell phones with email are pushing 10 years old. Yet she seemed almost totally clueless about old non-tech methods of doing things, despite the fact she'd have spent 99% of her life without such things. She should have had no issues at all adapting. I add this with WDGFIL and it seems she's coming off as being not that smart in general.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, going by WDGFIL she's been in high school for, what..., over 400 years?

Like OMG guys you are way over analyzing this. /jk
    The show is still pretty episodic in that it writes the characters as needed for the story. Also I think quite a bit of it's supposed to be for older viewers to catch on to. Draculuara is often used subtly to make light of Twilight, being a vegen who passes out at the sight of blood, being centuries old and hanging out at highschool.

You also have apparently not actually seen someone who is older who has relied heavily on their say cellphone the last ten years, lose their phone and be at a loss for what to do for a bit. It's this thing called panic.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it