Page 129 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2979119127128129130 LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 3242

Thread: Monster High

As much as I love Monster High, it has started to lose it's appeal to me. The newer dolls look generic and Mattel just killed us with endless releases and variants. I mean it seems like every few months new dolls are announced/released. While I like the Ever After High concept, the dolls look odd with the gigantic heads (same mold used over and over). They should have been made to look closer to MH. With that being said, I will tell you that I work in retail and I don't see any signs of these lines slowing down. They both sold like crazy this holiday season. It's too early to tell if Ever After High will be as big of a success, but I think Monster High will become a main stay (if Mattel doesn't over do it).

I like the Sweet Screams dolls, and I see they are releasing a more standard Toralei for ~12$ so will pick her up for my opened Toralei for now. Boolittle is the only new character I like the design of, passed on Gigi till I saw the special but not going out of my way to get one same with the Howleen from that line. Everafter high I might get Cerise and hopefully soon we get a Kitty Cheshire.

I think the endless variants work for this line as long as a collector isn't looking for the signature style. As long as you want the character or a look you are set, and it allows new people to come in. They do have some of the basic signature looks on several sites (Frankie, Drac, Clawdeen) for normal price.

This year was interesting, our stores here were full of stuff till the week of Christmas then nothing the day after. Our kmart had them spread out but between these two lines a full side of a aisle rack was dedicated to them and now probably a 1/3 of that is left (most create a monster, 13 wishes Lagoona, Halloween Clawdeen, Kitty Noir).

This next week I should be able to clean up my mess and probably get pictures of all my stuff.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I do think there's been a glut of variants, but at least the new stuff is still in line with the start of the series, enough to outweigh a few boring Barbie type dolls we've gotten. Though since I can't really justify paying money for the dolls I've stopped really following things. I did see a leaked scan of upcoming stuff, there's a centaur in the mix.

But they are getting easier to find. I saw several signature dolls at Aldi recently and am seeing more at various stores. The bare shelf period seems to be slowing down, when I got my first doll I had to check 6 stores and ended up settling on a single doll because it was all I could find.

I haven't kept up, of course most of what I did was check here anyways. More because I am the point unless a new character don't want.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Please....please I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. But I need to be informed. Isn't Monster High a fashion doll line? And are dudes collecting it & why? Maybe most people on here are women so I don't know. I just heard my nieces talking about them over Xmas. I saw this thread & thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Please....please I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. But I need to be informed. Isn't Monster High a fashion doll line? And are dudes collecting it & why? Maybe most people on here are women so I don't know. I just heard my nieces talking about them over Xmas. I saw this thread & thought I'd ask.
    I lead with, She-ra was created because something like 30-40% of the kids playing with the He-man figures were girls.

Monster High have a lot of guys and boys who collect the line more because of it's theme.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I lead with, She-ra was created because something like 30-40% of the kids playing with the He-man figures were girls.

Monster High have a lot of guys and boys who collect the line more because of it's theme.
    Thanks for the reply wyldman. I didn't realize 40% of girls played with He-Man. But that's a different topic. I don't know any dudes or boys that buy or have them. Interesting. What is the theme of the line if it's a fashion doll line? I noticed one of the logos was a girl looking skull with a bow in it.
    Last edited by Vlcan; January 1, 2014 at 02:33pm.

Thanks for the reply wyldman. I didn't realize 40% of girls played with He-Man. But that's a different topic. I don't know any dudes or boys that buy or have them. Interesting. What is the theme of the line if it's a fashion doll line? I noticed one of the logos was a girl looking skull with a bow in it.
    The theme of the dolls is basically the Universal Monsters, Dracula, the mummy, Frankenstein, Wolfman, and Creature of the Black Lagoon, etc. The characters are the daughters of those characters, with males in the line generally being the son of a female monster Medusa for example. The line also has a focus on has been being different in the stories.

I almost compared My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, the bigger problem with it the original line was more aimed at girls but FIM is more written with girls in mind that being focused at them.

I bring that up though to say the way FIM and MH are handled isn't what I would call effeminate it's more female focused. It's kind of hard to explain it but I will try. To me media that tends to be more effeminate, especially with a girls line tends to focus more on shopping, being pretty, being well liked, learning to cook, wanting a boyfriend and it tends to be shallow on all that stuff. The other end, the characters may talk about boys but don't make fun of the characters who don't have a boyfriend (most of the characters in this line), they like shopping but they also play sports, want to do well in school and other things like that, it's less about being well liked and wanting to be a good friend. But that is the media side of things, but I think that has played well into the dolls themselves by giving each of the characters an actual character. I mean who is Barbie? What are the personalities of the Bratz?

I would say it's more of an action figure or boy cartoon way of doing a line, where each character has a unique look and personality and they have more depth to them than durrr punch stuff (guys stuff).

Ok. I guess I understand a little bit. So dudes and girls play/collect these because of their personalities? So they have bios on boxes for each of them? Do the dolls articulate in anyway? Do the kids usually dress them up? Asking to see if they'd be a good gift for my daughter. I guess what is the age target audience? As for My Little Ponies my 3 year old daughter & my 3 year niece love them. I won't get into talking about dudes collecting these b/c I wouldn't understand that one bit.

They do have clothing packs, but they tend to not be as common as the dolls themselves. The difference versions of the dolls do have different hair styles/cuts, and some will change clothes from one character to another.

The signature releases have a bio on the back, which can also typically be found on the Mattel site for the dolls.

It can appeal to girls that age. The more expensive dolls do come with earrings that can come out, hands can also. They can also come with phones or similar items that are in scale with them. My brother's girlfriend's daughter has some and I think she is 3-4 years old. So they can appeal to that age, I just mention the small parts. But that can be easily dealt with, the hands typically need to be taken out but can fall out.

Articulation poitns. Head fully rotates, shoulders, elbows are ball joints, hands are on hinges and rotate as do knees, and legs are ball joints (older ones used bands). No waist or foot articulation. The dolls won't be able to freely stand , but most come with a stand either a post with a waist clip or newer ones with a C seat.

What does it matter if men, woman, boys or girls collect them. If you like something buy it. If you don't like it.....don't. On that note I sold my three year collection about a month ago on eBay. I lost interest in the line as it was getting to be same dolls all the time.
    Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    They do have clothing packs, but they tend to not be as common as the dolls themselves. The difference versions of the dolls do have different hair styles/cuts, and some will change clothes from one character to another.

The signature releases have a bio on the back, which can also typically be found on the Mattel site for the dolls.

It can appeal to girls that age. The more expensive dolls do come with earrings that can come out, hands can also. They can also come with phones or similar items that are in scale with them. My brother's girlfriend's daughter has some and I think she is 3-4 years old. So they can appeal to that age, I just mention the small parts. But that can be easily dealt with, the hands typically need to be taken out but can fall out.

Articulation poitns. Head fully rotates, shoulders, elbows are ball joints, hands are on hinges and rotate as do knees, and legs are ball joints (older ones used bands). No waist or foot articulation. The dolls won't be able to freely stand , but most come with a stand either a post with a waist clip or newer ones with a C seat.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll check them out for my daughter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FLAduranie View Post
    What does it matter if men, woman, boys or girls collect them. If you like something buy it. If you don't like it.....don't. On that note I sold my three year collection about a month ago on eBay. I lost interest in the line as it was getting to be same dolls all the time.
    Again I wasn't trying to offend anybody. I was genuinely interested in this line for my daughter. But it seemed many dudes have posted about buying them. So I wasn't for sure what the whole thing was about. If you're referring to dudes collecting MLP. Just my opinion but there are some things meant for girls and some for boys.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I think it also appeals to men for 2 reasons, all from the webisodes-

1) The series isn't strictly mall shopping/fashion/beauty parlor/dating nonsense. Those themes exist(it is a series about mostly teenage girls) but they aren't so overhyped that there's nothing else. There's a lot to do with the topics of racism, politics, intolerance and other such topics.

2) the male characters, as well as the adults, aren't stereotypes that exist as filler. The boyfriends have personalities, none of them are jerks who cheat on their girlfriends, and even Heath's stuff isn't cranked up to 120% like, um... certain other girl-themed cartoons have done with similar characters. The one real male villain we had was out to start a race war, he wasn't a stereotype of misandry. Adults do stuff, they aren't there to slap down a bunch of rules to ruin the fun.

I am reminded of what happened in the English (American) dubs of Winx Club and Sailor Moon, both shows in the original are much better but when translated got a lot of YAY GIRL POWER LETS GO SHOPPING NOW. YAY GIRL POWER OMG MY BOYFRIEND IS SUCH A JERK, HEY LOOK AT THAT CUTE BOY OVER THERE.

While Monster High is exaggerated it's just for humorous effect more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I think it also appeals to men for 2 reasons, all from the webisodes-

1) The series isn't strictly mall shopping/fashion/beauty parlor/dating nonsense. Those themes exist(it is a series about mostly teenage girls) but they aren't so overhyped that there's nothing else. There's a lot to do with the topics of racism, politics, intolerance and other such topics.

2) the male characters, as well as the adults, aren't stereotypes that exist as filler. The boyfriends have personalities, none of them are jerks who cheat on their girlfriends, and even Heath's stuff isn't cranked up to 120% like, um... certain other girl-themed cartoons have done with similar characters. The one real male villain we had was out to start a race war, he wasn't a stereotype of misandry. Adults do stuff, they aren't there to slap down a bunch of rules to ruin the fun.
    Forgive me for being out of touch. But there is a cartoon or something on tv about MH?

Vlcan...
    MH = a cool toy line
    Google = a search engine where you can find information on anything...

Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Vlcan...
    MH = a cool toy line
    Google = a search engine where you can find information on anything...

Google? What's that? I wanted feedback from actual buyers/collectors of this line. Why am I in the discussion threads for then?

Monster High has a youtube channel where they post 3 minute long segments. Also about once a quarter on Nickolodean and on DVD they release a 30-45 minute long special.

Finaly!!
    Scarah!!!
    A FULL shelf at TRU!
    Not happy about the $30.00 price but the wait broke me!
    AND
    Honey Swamp!!!! She IS the daughter of the Honey Island Swamp Monster!
    She may be my favorite in the entire line!
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Both Honey and Viperine are two of the best new characters released recently. I'm still ****** off that I didn't get a chance to get Weberella(can't afford and refuse to pay scalp prices). To me she was the best release of 2013. Maybe she'll get a regular release like Scarah even though I prefer the SDCC versions of both of these characters.

I did read that Invisibilly will be a part of the Scaremaster line this year. They also tweaked him a little and gave him longer hair in the new artwork I've seen.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Again I wasn't trying to offend anybody. I was genuinely interested in this line for my daughter. But it seemed many dudes have posted about buying them. So I wasn't for sure what the whole thing was about. If you're referring to dudes collecting MLP. Just my opinion but there are some things meant for girls and some for boys.
    Tell that to male She-Ra fans and female He-Man fans.

I only recently started getting these, and the main reason is the concept. I am a lifelong Universal Monster fan, and thus the basic idea of this line had appeal from the start. The way the dolls were made, with the bizarre proportions, put me off for a long time, but the idea of the offspring of my favorite creatures of the night eventually overcame everything else.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I just got Jane Boolittle.

What happened to her colors? She really monocromatic now. It's not bad but not as wow as her initial showing. She got really muted down.
    Happy i found her!!
    My Louisiana girls are complete!!
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Who's excited for the giant 3' school catacombs playset?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Finaly!!
    Scarah!!!
    A FULL shelf at TRU!
    Not happy about the $30.00 price but the wait broke me!
    AND
    Honey Swamp!!!! She IS the daughter of the Honey Island Swamp Monster!
    She may be my favorite in the entire line!
    I personally don't collect MH myself, but I do enjoy buying them for my niece, who LOVES them. The local TRU had these figures, along with that new one with the sloth animal....can't remember her name. It was weird to see all the shelves full.
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Netossa, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Shokotti, Castle Grayskull, Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, Filmation hordak, horde trooper(s), sky high, Kevin kosse heads

And just found Boolittle and Frights Camera Action at K-mart. Picked up Elisabat for the fiance for Valentine's and passed on Boolittle since was on the phone with me and said happy Valentine's day.