Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 3240

Thread: Monster High

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Any sites have coverage from the London Toyfair?

Heroic Warrior
    Monster High is GI Joe, Pokemon, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, She-Ra, He-Man etc. It follows the same formula by and large:

-Wide cast of characters
    -Everything that pertains to the characters (accessories, outfit) are very uniquely them
    -Everyone can have a favorite
    -Even the "villains" are interesting and dynamic
    -The opposite gender is short-packed and worth the most (male dolls, in this case)

It's a girl's toy line...with dresses and combable hair. But it's really articulated like an action figure line.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Ive finished with MH, I just got lost in all the silly variants and go rapidly over it! Now Im just waiting on the dance class pack.

but my last 'Pile Of Loot' stock of MH arrived a few days ago......What a way for me to end my MH phase...seriously Honey,Jane and Viperina are superb!

Talk about ending on a high note!

Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Tell that to male She-Ra fans and female He-Man fans.

I only recently started getting these, and the main reason is the concept. I am a lifelong Universal Monster fan, and thus the basic idea of this line had appeal from the start. The way the dolls were made, with the bizarre proportions, put me off for a long time, but the idea of the offspring of my favorite creatures of the night eventually overcame everything else.
    Like I said some things are meant for girls. I didn't play nor wanted to play with the vintage POP line. I just saw some of these MHDs in the store. I don't see the excitement in collecting these things especially if you're a boy & especially an adult dude. Don't see anything about the product that a boy/guy would like. Sorry. I took my 6 & 7 year old boys to the girl aisle for the these MH dolls. I asked what they thought. Let's just say they weren't too keen on it. Oh well. Maybe my 3 year old daughter might like them eventually. I didn't realized they cost that much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Like I said some things are meant for girls. I didn't play nor wanted to play with the vintage POP line. I just saw some of these MHDs in the store. I don't see the excitement in collecting these things especially if you're a boy & especially an adult dude. Don't see anything about the product that a boy/guy would like. Sorry. I took my 6 & 7 year old boys to the girl aisle for the these MH dolls. I asked what they thought. Let's just say they weren't too keen on it. Oh well. Maybe my 3 year old daughter might like them eventually. I didn't realized they cost that much either.
    I will approach it from two different angles which might help you understand.

In online gaming you have the ability to pick the physical gender of the character you are going to play in many games (some have distinct genders for certain classes but another issue). There are three reasons someone chooses the gender they do when designing their character.

1)role playing purpose, writers and actors will often choose to play a certain gender or archetype to help improve their ability to act or write. Probably the least common reason chosen.

2)they see the character either as an extension of themselves or as an ideal of themselves. This group is notorious for thinking everyone chooses the characters gender based on the same reason they did. So when they see a guy playing a female they think he wants to be female or feminine. this and the next are the two most popular reasons.

3)aesthetic or similar reason. In some games picking a certain gender actually gives certain bonuses, Gold box D&D games wouldn't let female characters have as high a strength as male ones, other games had hidden modifiers for choosing female characters having them do more damage in some way. Aesthetics, in their mind this is something they are going to be staring at all day it better be something they don't mind looking at all day. (hetero) Guys are more likely to pick females because they prefer to look at females than males, note this isn't an arousal issue.

In music, male fronted bands are said to be more popular with men and women because for most guys they see themselves in the front person and gals see themselves wanting the front person. Not everyone though follows this.

For me, when I was really little yes at times I wanted to be He-man or another character in the fiction, but as I grew older I wanted less and less to be those characters and either saw myself in the fiction or a character I had designed in the fiction that wasn't an extension of myself. So typically when I buy a doll or action figure for me it's not that I want to be them. It's more I like the character either physical design or story design. So I end up with a good mix of male and female characters. Heck truth be told even as a kid April and Teela weren't the damsel in distress always in fact sometimes they saved the day. I have been taking the zimbio character quizzes lately and my fiancee jokes how I do often end up resembling female characters, but after she tries to unsuccessful raz me about it she say it's more about the traits. As an example, Once Upon a Time I got Belle (went back and changed one answer that could go either way and got Prince Charming though) because I like to ready, study, and I don't mind a first date being a stay at home night of rest. But charming I like roller coasters, don't mind having adventurous dates, and other qualities that aligned more with him. I have no problem with that, while other guys will try to rework the answers to get themselves a male character.

As far as Monster High goes, personality wise I would most likely be a mix of Ghoulia, Jackson, and Abbey (but more mocking then being serious). But I like Draculuara for being a vampire and I have always liked the gothic look. Cleo because I have always liked the ancient Egyptian theme and look, Abbey because I have always loved cold and ice them characters, Toralie because I have always liked cats, Gigi because I have always had a thing for genies ( curse you Barbara Eden), Rochelle because I have always liked gargoyles. I like Ghoulia because of her personality, which means at first I didn't warm up to her till I got to know her. I love western themed dragons, gryphons and the phoenix so if they made characters based on them I would probably go after them also.

You probably fit more in the online gaming model of number 2. And there is nothing wrong with that, but you have to see that there is nothing wrong with number 1 or 3.
    Last edited by wyldman11; February 3, 2014 at 11:40am.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Oh wyldman...
    It could be as simple as some people are so built on out dates ideals that anything outside of their "norms" is not quite right.
    I've found it better to just roll yer eyes, smile, and say uh-hu.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Apparently, they weren't meant for your girls. And that's fine. And if these don't do anything for you, that's fine, too. But NOTHING is or should be limited only to one gender or another. Toys are aimed at kids; does that mean they are meant for kids and there's something wrong with all of us (on second thought, maybe we better not answer that one right up front). Power Rangers was aimed at the boys market, bu the two strong female characters had the girls going to the action figure aisle for the toys. When they released traditional Barbie doll type figures of the female Rangers, they actually flopped. I also recall that, back when The Batman series was on, I read about the ratings demographics, and the show was second among girls at the time, beating out shows specifically aimed at young girls (I know, chicks love the car).

Point is, there are a lot of cases out there where what was"'meant" to be for girls or boys winds up crossing the line (we won't even get into Cool/Cy Girls, which are basically Barbie in leather with a big gun for guys). It's not only happening more, it's a VERY good thing. The more the gender barriers get broken down when we are kids, the less they should linger in the adult world.

And here's a question I've often pondered: Barbie has a large bosom, tiny waist, supermodel face, and wears sexy outfits and high heels. What is there about that which a guy wouldn't like? Seriously, the figure seems patterned more after the male fantasies about women than the girls' ideals. So why would it seem odd for a guy to find such figures interesting, at the very least?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Oh wyldman...
    It could be as simple as some people are so built on out dates ideals that anything outside of their "norms" is not quite right.
    I've found it better to just roll yer eyes, smile, and say uh-hu.
    That was meant to be my final word on the issue, what you said often falls under #2

Boolittle should here in the next day or so, I also picked up a Fearleading outfit to toss on a Ghoul Spirit Frankie. Other than the Candy themed dolls I don't see myself getting much more from MH itself. EAH I like Cerise, the Queen of Hearts and Cheshire figures (when finally released).

I do find it interesting how many characters they have already introduced in EAH compared to MH at about the same time.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Movie mayhem!
    Lots of stuff was announces from one of the euro toyfairs... what are you guys most excited about

Got a good place to see what was revealed? I tend to just keep up with stuff here on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Lots of stuff was announces from one of the euro toyfairs... what are you guys most excited about
    What sites would have that info? My daughter is chomping at the bit to see what's coming.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Ghouls Alive Robecca has Roboto's gimmick, complete with a small robotic heart in front of the gears.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    so much coming from NYTF14....seriously...an actual haunted house playset???? Gimme!!!!
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

The new stuff looks great but I really glad I bowed out of this line when I did.

Mattel forever couldn't keep these on the shelves, now they're putting out way too much. The amount of variants are outrageous. I don't know how some of you keep up with them.

I tried to only collect my favorites: Abbey and Spectra but even that became too much.

I sometimes get weak and wish I could jump back in but I just can't.

So I go to see if my stores got in Slomo, Walmart had Viperine which I picked up for the fiance they also had the exclusive Operetta which is tempting. Found Boolittle on the clearance rack for 12 bucks...

No Slomo for us yet.