Page 5 of 130 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster High

Boo. The SDCC Frankies have started showing up on eBay, for over $100. There's one with a buy it now of $199! I'm not paying that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Boo. The SDCC Frankies have started showing up on eBay, for over $100. There's one with a buy it now of $199! I'm not paying that!
    Damn! I was thinking about getting one since I love the old black & white Universal Classic Monster movies. They were a lot cheaper than that the last time I looked. I wonder if this means Monster High is popular.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Okay I just saw a commercial yesterday for this line, then went to the site, watched the webisodes, then found most of the toys in the store today $16.99 at Target not too bad, online at K-Mart they had them all in stock for $16.99 and the two pack for $30 not bad. Though Toys R Us wants $25.00 for a single doll, ugh. I will likely be getting these for my sister. The webisodes are good, and I cannot wait to see the special they do this fall, not to mention the live action movie. I think a cartoon would do well. At least better than Bratz lol.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTUfan View Post
    Okay I just saw a commercial yesterday for this line, then went to the site, watched the webisodes, then found most of the toys in the store today $16.99 at Target not too bad, online at K-Mart they had them all in stock for $16.99 and the two pack for $30 not bad. Though Toys R Us wants $25.00 for a single doll, ugh. I will likely be getting these for my sister. The webisodes are good, and I cannot wait to see the special they do this fall, not to mention the live action movie. I think a cartoon would do well. At least better than Bratz lol.
    That's funny! I just watched all the webisodes last night too! They were really well done and funny! I really hope they get a full-time TV series.

I don't understand one thing though. In the webisodes...the guy that turns into flames was yellow skinned...but I'm pretty sure the "Faker" doll at SDCC was him...and he's blue skinned...

Also, Cleo De Nile is TOTALLY Catra. She has black hair, is LITERALLY the jealous beauty...and she hisses when she doesn't get her way...

This is like PoP toyline...with monsters.

My favourite webisode is the one about the substitute teacher.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 5, 2010 at 02:18am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't understand one thing though. In the webisodes...the guy that turns into flames was yellow skinned...but I'm pretty sure the "Faker" doll at SDCC was him...and he's blue skinned...

Also, Cleo De Nile is TOTALLY Catra. She has black hair, is LITERALLY the jealous beauty...and she hisses when she doesn't get her way...

This is like PoP toyline...with monsters.
    It hasn't been explained but there is one character named Jackson Jekyll and one called Holt Hyde (the blue doll shown at ComiCon). They may be two identities of one person, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

The Dawn of the Dance dolls are out now. The Mattel rep delivered them in person today. I don't like them as much as the first wave, so I'm going to pass and just get the new characters as they come out. This line is HOT though! We've been out of stock on the single dolls for over a month and I get a few calls every week asking about them. Grab 'em when ya see 'em!

I'm happy this line is popular. It's nice to know that Mattel can still strike success with a toyline that isn't Barbie or Hot Wheels related. I'm still mad at myself that I didn't pick up the SDCC Frankie Stein on Ebay when I had the chance. She's rarely on there now and when she is, she's going for somewhere between $100.00 to $200.00 dollars. I didn't even pay that much for my MOC Bronze King Grayskull or my SDCC MOTU Artbook. I'm actually kinda hoping this line gets a CD(or at least an iTunes release). As embarassing as it is to say, everytime I hear that damn "Monster High" theme song, it's stuck in my head for days.

JOIN THE GROUP...

The Dawn of the Dance dolls are out now. The Mattel rep delivered them in person today. I don't like them as much as the first wave, so I'm going to pass and just get the new characters as they come out. This line is HOT though! We've been out of stock on the single dolls for over a month and I get a few calls every week asking about them. Grab 'em when ya see 'em!
    Haven't seen the Dance of the Dead dolls yet. Hope they arrive soon. And I wish this post would have been made last night before I went to Target and saw two Frankie Steins and two Draculauras and left them in the store. My reasoning is oh they will be there tomorrow when I return lol. Well, went back and they were gone, went to other stores and no luck either. Only ones they had were the plush dolls and the two packs which appear to be major shelve warmers. Maybe the two packs would have done better as singles.

My sister absolutely loves the display at Target with all of the dolls in it with the small video screen on it. Wonder if one of these will creep onto ebay. hmmmmm, maybe I can find a store worker that could get me one heh.

Reading this old article makes me think that Monster High is a complete success:

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/new...ture-features/
    Last edited by MOTUfan; October 5, 2010 at 08:47pm.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Has anybody here heard about these? This July Mattel launched an all new doll line called Monster High (think Barbie meets Dr. Frankenstein) along with tons of spin-off merchandise, webisodes, a novel, and a music video.

Huh?!

How the hell does an unknown, untested no-name franchise out of nowhere get a full retail launch, webisodes, a new novel and other merchandise when an established and proven brand like MOTU has to struggle, and can't even get a pathetic little mini-comic printed?
    I wanted to know the same thing, and still do. I came up with a similar concept back in 2000, and had been working on it on and off since then. I launched my Myspace and Facebook pages back in 2005 and 2008 respectively; only to discover this franchise out of no where. I had made the mistake of allowing my [Now Ex] girlfriend work on the series with me. Earlier this year she left me for another man and for a brief while, I had assumed she stole my work and sold it to Mattel.

I have since recanted that statement but I still wonder where and how it came to be and who created it.

For more information on my series, check out my Twitter page and be sure to click on the website link in my twitter profile to take you to the myspace page full of images and more.
    http://twitter.com/SpookCentral

Anyway, back to Monster High--I wrote a lengthy and honest review on my blog.
    ----------------
    Creator of Spook Central Elementary
    Writer of stuff!
    . \o/ - "Hail to the king baby ! "
    .. |
    . / \

Haven't seen the Dance of the Dead dolls yet. Hope they arrive soon. And I wish this post would have been made last night before I went to Target and saw two Frankie Steins and two Draculauras and left them in the store. My reasoning is oh they will be there tomorrow when I return lol. Well, went back and they were gone, went to other stores and no luck either. Only ones they had were the plush dolls and the two packs which appear to be major shelve warmers. Maybe the two packs would have done better as singles.

My sister absolutely loves the display at Target with all of the dolls in it with the small video screen on it. Wonder if one of these will creep onto ebay. hmmmmm, maybe I can find a store worker that could get me one heh.

Reading this old article makes me think that Monster High is a complete success:

Target throws all it's signage and displays in the garbage. There's some big bad rule that they aren't allowed to give it to anyone for any reason. They used to be allowed to give things to workers or charity but not anymore. Everytime I see a neat set of toys like Legos or the Iron Man Hall of Armor go down that trash bin, it makes me sad to think what a waste!

Frankie and Draculaura are the two easiest to find. They are the "stars" of the line and are more heavily packed. Clawdeen and Lagoona are the two to grab on sight. Lagoona in particular seems to be the one a lot of folks are gravitating toward. She was certainly my favorite when I saw them for the first time. Not knowing how well this line was going to do, I got her, Frankie and Draculaura first and luckily for me, I was able to get Clawdeen a couple days later when I had more money to spend. Of course there was only one left! (This was when they first came in, though and we had multiples of them all. Now when we get them, I think we only get like one case at a time and of course Clawdeen and Lagoona vanish almost immediately and Frankie and Drac' tend to hang out for a couple days before they are gone.)

Yeah, the two-pack is really a poor seller. We still have them from the first shipment. Maybe it's the price point. It may also be that Cleo De Nile is the least monstrous of the group. She's beautiful, but not as exciting as the other girls with their colorful skin and such. And my best friend once told me she never had Ken or any boy dolls growing up. She didn't have any interest in them. (Sounds like boys and female action figures, sadly.) So to have a set with one less exciting female doll and a boy doll may have been a miscalculation.

I used to work for walmart and they too were forced to destroy the displays.
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

Target throws all it's signage and displays in the garbage. There's some big bad rule that they aren't allowed to give it to anyone for any reason. They used to be allowed to give things to workers or charity but not anymore. Everytime I see a neat set of toys like Legos or the Iron Man Hall of Armor go down that trash bin, it makes me sad to think what a waste!

Frankie and Draculaura are the two easiest to find. They are the "stars" of the line and are more heavily packed. Clawdeen and Lagoona are the two to grab on sight. Lagoona in particular seems to be the one a lot of folks are gravitating toward. She was certainly my favorite when I saw them for the first time. Not knowing how well this line was going to do, I got her, Frankie and Draculaura first and luckily for me, I was able to get Clawdeen a couple days later when I had more money to spend. Of course there was only one left! (This was when they first came in, though and we had multiples of them all. Now when we get them, I think we only get like one case at a time and of course Clawdeen and Lagoona vanish almost immediately and Frankie and Drac' tend to hang out for a couple days before they are gone.)

Yeah, the two-pack is really a poor seller. We still have them from the first shipment. Maybe it's the price point. It may also be that Cleo De Nile is the least monstrous of the group. She's beautiful, but not as exciting as the other girls with their colorful skin and such. And my best friend once told me she never had Ken or any boy dolls growing up. She didn't have any interest in them. (Sounds like boys and female action figures, sadly.) So to have a set with one less exciting female doll and a boy doll may have been a miscalculation.
    Yeah I think the two pack will be the first piece that reaches Target's clearance likely by Christmas I bet as we went to three Targets yesterday and they all had no less then 12 two packs for $29.99 which is not bad really in price comparison that the single dolls are $16.99 each.

Such a waste about the displays, I have a feeling that the Monster High display would go over HUGE on like Ebay lol, not to mention the Hall of Armor one. Only if individual Targets or other stores could open an account and sell the displays on eBay when ever they are done, it would go over great, and bring more money back to the individual stores.

Got to be a way to get one of those Monster High displays heh.

Also anyone know when the Monster High special is going to air on TV this fall? I would think it would be very soon like maybe Sunday October 31st

So, does anyone have a source that works at Mattel that could tell me/us who created or came up with the Monster High concept/designs?

I know that I stated that I had recanted my original allegations of my Ex being involved, but I am rather curious to know if she had a part in it; if so and no offense to anyone but I plan on filing a lawsuit against her if that was the case.

For the select few who contacted me about my series, I had neglected to mention that not only is it on Twitter and Myspace but Facebook and eventually tumblr as well.

http://www.facebook.com/spookcentral

As for Monster High, I don't dislike it, to the contrary I do enjoy it. However, I dislike the character names and hate the fact that they re-hashed the Bratz Dolls instead of coming up with an original mold/design.
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

Quote Originally Posted by Voice_Guy View Post
    I used to work for walmart and they too were forced to destroy the displays.
    Not if you get to a manager on the night shift, my wife constantly gets to buy the displays from Walmart by offering to pay retail price for the dolls/toys inside. They ring it up as if we were buying each sku and then she gets the display for free.

But Target has never allowed that for us, Walmart always does
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I think she is lucky then, that or it depends on the manager. I worked at two locations on 3rd shift, neither managers would allow it. It's a shame because some of those displays are a work of art, other's are just cool.
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

I can't remember if it's general store policy or local store policy. I know part of the problem stemmed from managers giving it to favorites, or fights breaking out over them. I wish I got to see more of them, my walmart being more of one of the later stops on the truck tends to miss out on these, and well several lines and waves.

That or the methheads in the back don't do their job till the fail their test.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I know my store had a problem with management giving in to their favorites, that could have been the reason. Our toy department always lacked up until this time of the year. Christmas was the only time we received any kind of decent shipments.
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

So, does anyone have a source that works at Mattel that could tell me/us who created or came up with the Monster High concept/designs?

I know that I stated that I had recanted my original allegations of my Ex being involved, but I am rather curious to know if she had a part in it; if so and no offense to anyone but I plan on filing a lawsuit against her if that was the case.

For the select few who contacted me about my series, I had neglected to mention that not only is it on Twitter and Myspace but Facebook and eventually tumblr as well.

http://www.facebook.com/spookcentral

As for Monster High, I don't dislike it, to the contrary I do enjoy it. However, I dislike the character names and hate the fact that they re-hashed the Bratz Dolls instead of coming up with an original mold/design.
    I posted this earlier, it is a article that mentions how the line came to be:

From the article:

Mattel began developing the Monster High franchise about three years ago, after a company packaging designer came up with the concept. The toymaker has extensively tested the concept with focus groups.

Monster High is the first brand that Mattel’s created internally in decades. Barbie was launched in 1959 and Hot Wheels in 1968. Since then, the company has added its most profitable product lines through acquisitions, including Fisher-Price, Cabbage Patch Kids and American Girl.

I don't know if adding monsters to a school setting is that unique though. There was a series of books I read as a kid that had all of the Universal Classic Monsters represented(at least unofficial facsimilies of them) in a grade school setting. There have also been numerous cartoons featuring young monsters over the years.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't know if adding monsters to a school setting is that unique though. There was a series of books I read as a kid that had all of the Universal Classic Monsters represented(at least unofficial facsimilies of them) in a grade school setting. There have also been numerous cartoons featuring young monsters over the years.
    Well, it sure seems to be working if it isn't unique. I mean seriously, EVERYTHING has been done before to some extent or another, there will almost always be similarities in everything that is out there. The days of the 100 percent original idea, never been done before or thought of is long long gone.

Thank you very much Brent!

I want to go on record and say that I am not necessarily stating that Mattel or someone violated intellectual property rights by creating Monster High from anything that I had created. I was just curious because it "popped" up rather recently and out of no where. I never saw so much as a press-release and after my Ex left me I was not sure as to whether or not she sold my concepts to another company as she once threatened to do (before she left me.)

Moving on-- What does everyone think of the character names? Creative, or lack of creativity? I am on the lack of creativity side of the argument, I think they could have done better. I think that they were just slapped on as an after thought.
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

Well, it sure seems to be working if it isn't unique. I mean seriously, EVERYTHING has been done before to some extent or another, there will almost always be similarities in everything that is out there. The days of the 100 percent original idea, never been done before or thought of is long long gone.
    I wasn't trashing the line since I happen to like it(even though it definitely isn't aimed at my demographic). I just meant in terms of Mattel stealing the idea. Is it possible? Sure. It's just that I've seen enough similar things like it over the years that I wouldn't automatically think ripoff.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Thank you very much Brent!

I want to go on record and say that I am not necessarily stating that Mattel or someone violated intellectual property rights by creating Monster High from anything that I had created. I was just curious because it "popped" up rather recently and out of no where. I never saw so much as a press-release and after my Ex left me I was not sure as to whether or not she sold my concepts to another company as she once threatened to do (before she left me.)

Moving on-- What does everyone think of the character names? Creative, or lack of creativity? I am on the lack of creativity side of the argument, I think they could have done better. I think that they were just slapped on as an after thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I wasn't trashing the line since I happen to like it(even though it definitely isn't aimed at my demographic). I just meant in terms of Mattel stealing the idea. Is it possible? Sure. It's just that I've seen enough similar things like it over the years that I wouldn't automatically think ripoff.
    That's the thing we are adults and critiquing a line aimed at Tween girls due to the whole Twilight craze, EVERYONE wants to get a chunk of this current fade. Whether it lasts for years and years or a single holiday season. I have no problems with the line, names or designs, I find it a good line and hope it is successful.

And your welcome for the info Voice_Guy, it seems there are similarities and it seems like any chances of Mattel buying the idea from your GF are slim from the info given in said linked article. As it was one of their in house ideas etc etc. But there are similarities in most everything 'monster' out there right now, and likely will be always.

I never really implied that Mattel ripped of my concept, but more along the lines of the fact that knowing my ex as well as I do, and knowing how manipulitive she can be; that there was a slight possibility that she sold the idea to Mattel and they changed it to their needs. I would NEVER have filed a lawsuit against Mattel but if I ever do discover that my Ex was involved, I'd files one against her. The thing is, when she left me she took everything and I mean everything, including all my drawings, writing, scripts, script notes, doodles, she took it all. It was because of that I had my initial fears.

I agree, there are similarities in most everything 'monster' out there but I put in a considerable amount of time in developing my series, ten years in fact. Which is why I hope Mattel does not actively seek to file a lawsuit against me for infringing on "their" rights, despite that I have had web presence for my series since late 2004 to early 2005, I fear that they may see my series as an infringement on their property.

Yeah, we are adults and critiquing a line aimed at Tween girls, no doubt that the Twilight craze is responsible. I only had an issue with the character names and the fact that the molds are from the Bratz dolls. I wish they had put more thought and creativity into the designs.

----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    My lastest color work.
    .. |
    . / \
    ----------------
    Writer of stuff!
    .. |
    . / \

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    I'm a sucker for classic monster stuff, so I checked out the web cartoons a couple of months ago. I think these are pretty neat, but I can't really bring myself to buy a doll for myself, even if it is based on classic monster designs. I wish I already had a duaghter so I'd have an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    I'm a sucker for classic monster stuff, so I checked out the web cartoons a couple of months ago. I think these are pretty neat, but I can't really bring myself to buy a doll for myself, even if it is based on classic monster designs. I wish I already had a duaghter so I'd have an excuse.
    hmmmm, buy the series now, two of each for when you have a daughter, she then has an instant set to open and one MIB that could potentially be worth something maybe