Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we be worried about 2015 sub going through if Matty will sell DC figs still?

Heroic Warrior

Should we be worried about 2015 sub going through if Matty will sell DC figs still?

With Toy Guru saying that there is a possibility of Matty selling DC Universe Classic either quarterly or 12 figures monthly at higher non sub prices, should we REALLY be worried about not getting a full years's worth of MOTUC figures in 2015? I could see absolutely no quarterly items, but I would expect they would still have a Traveling Con figure and an SDCC fig, whether there was a line going forward or not. But, with DC fans having a light of hope of getting their DCU figs in 2014, I really can't see them downright cancelling, not only their own property, but Matty's flagship line, if their is only one year left of A-list figs and for some reason, we only reach between 80 and 90% of subs bought next year. Mind you, reaching the 100% would definitely get the wheels rolling for 2016, so I'm not discouraging anyone not to sub next year because I definitelywant this line to be putting out new stuff in 2016. I'm in it for the long haul. I'm just saying that as far as 2015 is concerned, I think that maybe we shouldn't all panic so much about the line ending prematurely if we don't hit the 100% next year, that's all
    Last edited by grenadaspice; August 21, 2013 at 04:57pm.

I am still celebrating 2014 going through. I don't even want to start thinking about 2015 yet. lol.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

I will sub in 2015 no matter what. If it fails...I'll be so ashamed of you people!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I will sub in 2015 no matter what. If it fails...I'll be so ashamed of you people!
    I second this!
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    If you really need something new to feel negative about go ahead. I mean... if it makes some people so happy to worry about something... anything that they can about this line dying... I say go for it! I, for one, am going to enjoy the rest of '13 and all of 2014.

Heroic Warrior
    Nope. We need to keep the fear factor fresh and the panic button polished. Scare folks into buying those subs. Or else there will be no... Crackers... the Clown... or something. Idk.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I will sub in 2015 no matter what.
    You can count me in also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dude View Post
    I, for one, am going to enjoy the rest of '13 and all of 2014.
    Same here. I will start thinking about 2015 around July of next year. But for now...Let's CELEBRATE!!!
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

We'll be fine. We're the reason Mattycollector exists, why the sub system exists, the ones to out sell DC every year, why DC even got a sub in the first place.

It still feels like we're in 2013 though.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    I'm just saying that as far as 2015 is concerned, I think that maybe we shouldn't all panic so much about the line ending prematurely if we don't hit the 100% next year, that's all
    Remember, tho, DC has been almost exclusively existing tooling for 2 years. And no deluxe-sized figures this year except the sub-exclusive. It's never had the support for brand new tooling the likes of which we're seeing in MOTUC 2014. It may be possible to produce for day-of-sales when you're not devoting a lot of costs to new pieces. You're essentially using existing molds to pump out the same figures in new colors, adding a new head and accessory, and popping it in a box. That can cut down a lot of the costs, and allow them to push some product out without skyrocketing the prices.

If the sub for 2015 doesn't make it to the minimum, we might still get figures, but they won't be the fully tooled vintage-accurate standards we're seeing now. We might sub-up for Extendars, and Squeezes and have to settle for a year of Melkathas and Masques and never get a complete vintage line. 2015 will probably still need that fabled minimum number of subbers in order for Scott to keep his promise to us. I expect, if we get a full 2015, that the 2016 sub will be offered, and if it fails, Scott will find a way to get us some cool offerings for that year before scaling back to *just* ComicCon offerings. But it's not about how many figures we''ll get, it's how much they'll cost and which characters will be off the table due to budget cuts.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

2.0s: HE-MAN, Teela
    Filmation: KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug
    200x: VEENA, Prahvus
    NA: CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead
    Concept: RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero He-Man

Heroic Warrior
    At this point I think it would be very strange if 2015 wouldn't be able to go through. The people that are in for the sub right now are the ones who want their collection "complete", and we know we are getting there after 2015, so it should happen.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    At this point with the end in sight (vintage figure end) it would be a complete let down to not get the 2015 sub to go through. I really hope we can make it happen next year! Mattel should find a way to finish it off if we get to 80% or something....either way lets enjoy the rest of 2014 and get ready for an amazing 2014!!!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    TG said as much about the MOTUC stuff prior to the sub deadline. If we hadn't made it, they would hav still put out periodic figs and Con exclusives. This being the case with DC is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by nuno View Post
    At this point I think it would be very strange if 2015 wouldn't be able to go through. The people that are in for the sub right now are the ones who want their collection "complete", and we know we are getting there after 2015, so it should happen.
    This. However, the only thing that concerns me is the price hike that is supposed to come for 2015. I'm sure some will bail because of that, but I only hope it's no more than 15%.

I'm still not seeing the connection you're implying between how well (or not) the MOTUC sub does v.s. DC and them impacting one another as far as product availability in 2015. Perhaps I am simply misunderstanding your question.

As others are saying, I am ALL IN for MOTUC 2015, so there's that.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

I think that even if MOTUC doesn't hit 100% for 2015, it will come close enough for Mattel to move forward. There are no guarantees if we don't hit that minimum number but it's what I could see happening.

You have to remember that there was a huge decline in subscription sales between 2012 and 2013, but the drop from 2013 to 2014 was only 15% (115%/135%). If the decline between years keeps leveling out then we should be fine.

However, there are several factors that will play a major part in sub sales for 2015:

1) The price increase - Scott has hinted at this for a while and we could see them hold the line at $25 or increase figures anywhere from $2-5 each.

2) Character selection - Inevitably we will be able to predict the 2015 lineup with 80-90% accuracy once everything for 2014 is revealed. That could help or hurt sub sales as I'm sure people will have a hard decision to make about paying for figures X & Y which they don't really care for to make sure that they get characters A & B that they really want. Plus there are fewer carrots to dangle in front of people with the likes of Two Bad, Modulok, and Scorpia being checked off the list.

Since 2014 only saw a 20% decrease from 2013, I'm not as worried about 2015. If we can keep the decline a modest loss like this year, we should be fine. A price increase is going to threaten that for sure though. Hopefully it won't be more than $1 to $2 add on to the figure price. If it goes to $30, we'll have a tough time for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    With Toy Guru saying that there is a possibility of Matty selling DC Universe Classic either quarterly or 12 figures monthly at higher non sub prices, should we REALLY be worried about not getting a full years's worth of MOTUC figures in 2015? I could see absolutely no quarterly items, but I would expect they would still have a Traveling Con figure and an SDCC fig, whether there was a line going forward or not. But, with DC fans having a light of hope of getting their DCU figs in 2014, I really can't see them downright cancelling, not only their own property, but Matty's flagship line, if their is only one year left of A-list figs and for some reason, we only reach between 80 and 90% of subs bought next year. Mind you, reaching the 100% would definitely get the wheels rolling for 2016, so I'm not discouraging anyone not to sub next year because I definitelywant this line to be putting out new stuff in 2016. I'm in it for the long haul. I'm just saying that as far as 2015 is concerned, I think that maybe we shouldn't all panic so much about the line ending prematurely if we don't hit the 100% next year, that's all
    If you want the MOTUC line to continue the way it is now, then I'm sure they feel they need a minimum number of guaranteed sales. That, itself doesn't mean that the final figure will be the Dec figure of the last year which makes it's number. But it would mean the end of 12 monthly figures, plus quarterlies, and add on subs, etc.

But then again, if there are NO viable lines on Matty at all, that could shut things down completely.

As others have said, "too far to turn back now". 2015 is a must, now that 2014 has went through to complete mostly everything and to "end" on a high note.

No doubt we will still get new figures in 2016 one way or another. This line ain't dying anytime soon folks!
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

I believe it'll barely scrape by in 2015. As long as we get at least 12 figures for the year, I'll be happy.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Heroic Warrior
    when the time is right to worry about such things, I'd suggest that maybe a little worry would be called for - but we have 11 months at least until we have to start thinking about such things.

Also keep in mind that DC has other factors behind the scenes that might force Mattel to release more figures as it is a licensed property. MOTU doesn't have that luxury. However I do think that there COULD be a push to go ahead with 2015 as long as the subs numbers aren't terrible since they know it will finish the vintage lines. I for one am definitely not taking that for granted and will be subbing up. Also I wonder if any price increase might also be used to lower the minimum numbers required. If you charge more you don't have to sell as many to make a profit. I know costs are rising and if it is $1 or $2 increase then that is all it will be. If it is $3 to $5 I think that it will be to offset a lower production run. Just a thought.
    My MOTUC needs:
    Catch up: Granamyr, Tytus, Megator, He-Ro, Shadow Beast
    Coming soon: Tung Lashor, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Gwildor, Mermista, Spinerella, Lizard Man, Ninjor, Huntara, Skeletor's Hover Robots, Queen Angella, Blast-Attak, Multi-Bot, Sssqueeze
    Needs to make me feel like I have a complete collection: Peekablue, Perfuma, Dragstor, Saurod
    Wants: Lord Masque

I have no doubt whatsoever that the 2015 Sub will go through, too. And after that, MOTU still ain't dyin'. Even if a 2016 Sub doesn't hit 100%, there will still be enough interest in this line to drop back to 1 figure per month, or maybe every other month.

This line still has plenty of legs.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

The DC sub not going through is a bit a different. It barely made it as I recall this past year, and part of this has to do with the line going retail to online club line. Also many people were happy with the showing they made for the next year which had a few variants shown. It is possible they do something similar if the quota isn't made next year though.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel could probably push out a majority of DCIE figures as they did last year using pretty much the same buck with minimal cost as the only tooling really is in paint jobs, accessories and head sculpt. I think what they will do if they go forward producing new figures is increase the cost, especially if there's a lot of new tooling required. Or they could potentially put out higher priced boxed sets in some regards, ie Flash's Rogue gallery. It's hard to speculate given Mattel hasn't decided what they're going to do other than reopen the subs to allow anyone who subbed for Ecto-1 or DCIE sub to MOTUCif they wish.

I'm in the camp that its far to early to really be worrying how a potential 2015 line would be handled. Enjoy the moment now for 2014.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Went back and re-read the original post. I would say never assume MOTUC would be a go if the subs did not meet minimum quota for 2015. Would you want to risk a full and robust 2015 because we didn't hit 100%?? I certainly wouldn't. There are still so many great A-list figures left to do I wouldn't want to 'test' Mattel on whether or not they would actually punch through 2015 even if the subs were not full vested. Just too much of a chance. And ultimately I believe them when they say DC is either severely truncate or quarterly items only. Yes the line will most likely still exist in some form, but the idea of them messing with MOTUC in this fashion- even slightly- makes me queasy.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!