Thread: Brazil mini comic - a question

Brazil mini comic - a question

Hi! Do you know if the story in this mini comic from Brazil (by Estrela toy company) was published in USA by Mattel? I searched the He-Man.org mini comics database and found nothing:

I'll try to Ebay it again - and the word "Exclusive" usually makes a lot of difference
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by macbee View Post
    Hi! Do you know if the story in this mini comic from Brazil (by Estrela toy company) was published in USA by Mattel? I searched the He-Man.org mini comics database and found nothing:

I'll try to Ebay it again - and the word "Exclusive" usually makes a lot of difference
    Thanks in advance!

I do not recognize it up front, but alot of weird reprints have occured where they re-aranged the panels and changed the colors around (like with the hindu versions). Are you putting this one up on ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon View Post
    I do not recognize it up front, but alot of weird reprints have occured where they re-aranged the panels and changed the colors around (like with the hindu versions). Are you putting this one up on ebay?
    Thanks for your help Dragoon! This mini comic was included with all (yes, ALL) figures from wave 1 of MOTU in Brazil back in 1986.

I still haven't found any story like this one on American mini comics (Skeletor and his allies enter Randor's Royal Palace at night while everyone is sleeping). And one of the main reasons to believe this is an exclusive is: The story (as well as the art) have MUCH of Filmation's cartoon mood. If you look at the photos you'll even see the same Cringer from TV.

That's because Brazil is a weird place -- The toys took a long time to arrive. When it happened the TV show was already a hit for about 2 years. So I guess Estrela didn't want to print the earlier comics from USA - where He-Man is a barbarian, he is not Prince Adam and everything is very different from the cartoon. It's just a theory, shouldn't be taken seriously.

I'm planning to put my two copies of this comic on Ebay. One is this from the photos - in excellent shape. The other one is terrible and will sell it almost for free. My main problem is always the shipping - since Mail services in Brazil are very expensive. Many people gives up of buying Brazilian stuff due to shipping
    Last edited by macbee; May 30, 2010 at 08:38pm.

[QUOTE=macbee;2440653]Hi! Do you know if the story in this mini comic from Brazil (by Estrela toy company) was published in USA by Mattel? I searched the He-Man.org mini comics database and found nothing:

I have never seen this story before, or heard about it being a rare comic in the U.S.. I do not think that it was ever released in the U.S. However, it could have been included with some of the later figures "accidentally" in 1986 or 1987. One of my first figures as a child (around 1982) came with a french language comic. (You can view it in the mini-comics section on this site.)

[QUOTE=gjm679;2440961]

I have never seen this story before, or heard about it being a rare comic in the U.S.. I do not think that it was ever released in the U.S. However, it could have been included with some of the later figures "accidentally" in 1986 or 1987. One of my first figures as a child (around 1982) came with a french language comic. (You can view it in the mini-comics section on this site.)
    Thanks! But I doubt that it may have appeared accidentally on later American toys. French "Les Maitres De L'Univers" was also released by Mattel - and Brazilian He-Man was made by a company with absolutely NO connection with Mattel (Estrela).

Estrela had licenses for many foreign toys like Kenner's Super Powers and Hasbro's GI Joes. These companies didn't existed here in the 80s so I guess Estrela analyzed wich cartoons were becoming popular in Brazil and got toy licenses for them. As I said some posts ago He-Man was already on TV for about 2 years when the official toys arrived.

Brazil produced a lot of exclusive He-Man material (see some here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=190952 ) so I'm really starting to believe this mini comic is exclusive.

Thanks for all opinions. I'd like to hear more from you!
    Last edited by macbee; May 31, 2010 at 01:04pm.

[QUOTE=macbee;2441021]
    Quote Originally Posted by gjm679 View Post

Thanks! But I doubt that it may have appeared accidentally on later American toys. Because "Les Maitres De L'Univers" was also released by Mattel - and Brazilian He-Man was made by a company with absolutely NO connection with Mattel (Estrela).

Thanks for all opinions. I'd like to hear more from you!
    As you say its the Filmation cartoon that inspired this minicomic, its very similar in style to the argentinian Ledafilms comics and dosnt look anything like the US minicomics. Heres some art from the series I'm talking about:

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=2127

I dont mind a harsh shipping cost if the comic is in really nice condition, I would love to receive a PM from you when the comic is put on ebay so that I might have a chanse at bidding on it : )

[QUOTE=Dragoon;2441026]

As you say its the Filmation cartoon that inspired this minicomic, its very similar in style to the argentinian Ledafilms comics and dosnt look anything like the US minicomics. Heres some art from the series I'm talking about:

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=2127

I dont mind a harsh shipping cost if the comic is in really nice condition, I would love to receive a PM from you when the comic is put on ebay so that I might have a chanse at bidding on it : )
    It also looks like the Brazilian exclusive regular comic books: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=190952

By the way mini comic is on Ebay: http://item.ebay.com/140412644076

As far as I know, all the estrela mini comics that were released were original stories created up by Estrela toys, I've seen 14 of them and there all different. However some of the covers were the same as U.S Mini- comics just different colours, the "Slave city" cover for example.
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Saw Hordak View Post
    As far as I know, all the estrela mini comics that were released were original stories created up by Estrela toys, I've seen 14 of them and there all different. However some of the covers were the same as U.S Mini- comics just different colours, the "Slave city" cover for example.
    Hmmm. I am not a mini comic expert so I can't confirm or deny.

Comparing my "Templo das Trevas" with "Temple of Darkness" ( http://www.he-man.org/publishing/ite...683&image=9817 ) it seems to be the same:

"A história de She-Ra" and "The Story of She-Ra" ( http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=726 ) also seems to be the same - judging by He-Man.org's synopsis and the cover:

I don't know if the U.S. minicomic database in He-Man.org is complete but I have many mini comics that -- pretty much like Buzz Saw Hordak said -- don't match with anything from http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=52&subid=20 and http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=52&subid=26

Dude I'm loving to be aware of all this information. I guess I'll stop my mini comic Ebay auction and sell my ENTIRE He-Man collection together for one trillion gazillion Dollars
    Last edited by macbee; May 31, 2010 at 05:56pm.

Ahhh, I feel like a doink! Your right a good handful of these comics are like their u.s counterparts but different colours.

nice pics Macbee.
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

YES those are awesome, thanks for sharing! It's funny really, with some international editions of He-Man puplications, like the ones by Ehapa in Germany are just reprints of the UK magazine stories in german, but they got the master Estaban Moroto to do a lot of their covers, leading me to believe they were new stories . I suspect this is the case with the Finnish and Italian books & mags also.

But Brazil seems to be the only one to get new original stories like that one with He-Man battling Tung Lashor, or those She-Ra ones with really nice covers, any chance you have larger scans of those covers or did you not have acces to one at the time?
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    It's funny really, with some international editions of He-Man puplications, like the ones by Ehapa in Germany are just reprints of the UK magazine stories in german...
    To be precise it is the other way round: The UK comic magazines published (starting at issue 50 in 1988) English translations of stories from the German Ehapa magazines.

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    It's funny to imagine a entire tribe producing MotU minicomics.... where you come from Dragoon? Only a brazilian people could say a self ironic like this or you'll risk to offend us!
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

………… ________
    ……… / | \\___
    …… /........|-.... |.…..... o\
    ……… (@)-----------(@)-´

Does anyone know how many of those exclusive mini-comics from estrela were made? And to which figure they were packed in?

I know that all figures of the first wave in Brazil (He-Man, Skeletor (Esqueleto), Teela (Tila), Man-at-Arms (Mentor), Stratos, Evil-Lyn (Maligna), Beast Man (Homem-Fera), Mer-Man (Aquático), Zodac) had the same mini-comic attached:
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=1902

But is it true that all figures from the first wave were also re-released with the second wave and each one got a new mini-comic?

Were there any estrela He-Man comic?

How many different She-Ra comics exists?

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    To be precise it is the other way round: The UK comic magazines published (starting at issue 50 in 1988) English translations of stories from the German Ehapa magazines.
    Oh I didn't know that , I'm always learning something new on these forums. Too bad the UK couldn't also get Esteban's amazing cover art, though I think they still got some of his MOTU art as posters like the US mags.
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    It's funny to imagine a entire tribe producing MotU minicomics.... where you come from Dragoon? Only a brazilian people could say a self ironic like this or you'll risk to offend us!

hehe I'm from Norway, but I collect comics from all over the world. Lately I got my hands on some neat MOTU minicomics from India in hindu. I'm not sure if the seller is a regular here (if so, hi!). Some amusing bits in these very rare editions, hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting these, but since its all about mini comics and oddities, here goes:

Marvel at the spectacular coverart

Thats a commercial spread over a few pages, with some local art and interpretation, slightly not in the spirit of Filmation, what with the decapitation and all

Love these.

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    But Brazil seems to be the only one to get new original stories like that one with He-Man battling Tung Lashor, or those She-Ra ones with really nice covers, any chance you have larger scans of those covers or did you not have acces to one at the time?
    I'm about to sell all my MOTU / POP collection but If I have access to a DECENT scanner until it happens I'll send large images to the board for sure!

I know that all figures of the first wave in Brazil (He-Man, Skeletor (Esqueleto), Teela (Tila), Man-at-Arms (Mentor), Stratos, Evil-Lyn (Maligna), Beast Man (Homem-Fera), Mer-Man (Aquático), Zodac) had the same mini-comic attached:

But is it true that all figures from the first wave were also re-released with the second wave and each one got a new mini-comic?

I don't know if EVERY 1st wave figure was released again in the second one. My bet: YES.

"Were there any estrela He-Man comic?" Couldn't translate it. Sorry.

And as far as I know there are six Brazilian She-Ra Minicomics. The four I showed before are almost the complete collection

hehe I'm from Norway, but I collect comics from all over the world. Lately I got my hands on some neat MOTU minicomics from India in hindu. I'm not sure if the seller is a regular here (if so, hi!). Some amusing bits in these very rare editions, hope I'm not hijacking the thread by posting these, but since its all about mini comics and oddities, here goes:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/P1050543.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...tu-hindu01.jpg

Marvel at the spectacular coverart

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...tu-hindu02.jpg

Thats a commercial spread over a few pages, with some local art and interpretation, slightly not in the spirit of Filmation, what with the decapitation and all

Love these.
    Dude, it rocks! Seriously!

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**
    Last edited by macbee; June 6, 2010 at 04:40pm.

Does anyone know how many of those exclusive mini-comics from estrela were made? And to which figure they were packed in?

I know 15 different He-Man mini-comics from Estrela. But I am sure there are more, like Orko. But I don't know how many She-Ra mini-comics were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    I know 15 different He-Man mini-comics from Estrela. But I am sure there are more, like Orko. But I don't know how many She-Ra mini-comics were made.
    There are six figures, two horses and Crystal Castle on Brazilian POP line.
    That's why I believe that only exists six She-Ra mini comics from Brazil.

"Were there any estrela He-Man comic?" Couldn't translate it. Sorry.
    I meant if there were also New Adventures toys/comics from estrela in Brazil?

Ok, presumably six Brazil She-Ra comics attached to those figures exist:

1. She-Ra
    A História de She-Ra (A shortened reprint from the US comic "Story of She-Ra")

2. Catra (Felina)
    Felina em o Pelotão-Gato (Seems to be an Brazilian exclusive story. Photo from cover see above. Thanks to macbee!)

3. Bow (Arqueiro)
    Arqueiro em a Lenda do Coração perdido (Seems to be a reprint from the US comic "The hidden Symbols Mystery". Photo from cover see above. Thanks to macbee!)

4. Kowl (Corujito)
    Corujito em o Razo vulcânico (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

5. Angella (Rainha Ângela)
    unknown

6. Double Trouble (Mal em Dobro)
    unknown

Now lets try to list all the MotU ones

1. He-Man, Skeletor (Esqueleto), Teela (Tila), Man-at-Arms (Mentor), Stratos, Evil-Lyn (Maligna), Beast Man (Homem-Fera), Mer-Man (Aquático), Zodac [1st series]
    He-Man contra as Forças do Mal (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

2. He-Man [2nd series]
    O Templo das Trevas (A shortened reprint from the US comic "Temple of Darkness")

3. Skeletor (Esqueleto) [2nd series]
    O Poder da Cúpula mortal (A shortened reprint from the US comic "The Power of... Point Dread!")

4. Teela (Tila) [2nd series]
    unknown

5. Man-at-Arms (Mentor) [2nd series]
    unknown

6. Stratos [2nd series]
    unknown

7. Evil-Lyn (Maligna) [2nd series]
    unknown

8. Beast Man (Homem-Fera) [2nd series]
    Homem-Fera e o grande Tesouro (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

9. Mer-Man (Aquático) [2nd series]
    unknown

10. Zodac [2nd series]
    unknown

11. Ram Man (Aríete)
    He-Man encontra Aríete (A shortened reprint from the US comic "He-Man meets Ram Man")

12. Tri-Klops (Tríclope)
    Tríclope, Amigo ou Inimigo? (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

13. Trap Jaw (Mandíbula)
    Mandíbula e o Ataque ao Palácia (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

14. Man-E-Faces (Multifaces)
    Surge um Herói... Multifaces (A shortened reprint from the US comic "The Ordeal of Man-E-Faces")

15. Buzz-Off (Abelhão)
    Abelhão e o Obelisco (Story is based on the US comic "The Obelisk" but with new drawings)

16. Prince Adam (Príncipe Adam)
    Príncipe Adam em a Cidade escravizada (Story is based on the US comic "Slave City" but with new drawings)

17. Kobra Khan
    Kobra Khan - Sabor de Veneno (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

18. Orko (Gorpo)
    Gorpo em a Pirâmide infinito (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

19. Tung Lashor (Lança-língua)
    Lança-língua em o Demônio do Pantâno (Is an Brazilian exclusive story)

20. Ninjor (Sinistro)
    unknown
    Last edited by RED; June 11, 2013 at 02:35am. Reason: update