Thread: Diminishing Shokoti for me...also about Zalesia

Hybrid View

Elder Councilman

Diminishing Shokoti for me...also about Zalesia

Many may not realize it, but the Faceless One's home from the MYP series was actually first mentioned in I believe the beginning of the 2nd series of the Filmation toon!

I'd be surprised if--by the time I finish watching the entire series--most of the elements from MYP or even the Classics bios didn't have their start in Filmation!

Now, I know a lot of people are die-hard fans of the House of Shokoti 2-parter, and that's cool...though I think if what the artists had originally started had been actually released, I would've enjoyed it a lot more; found it sorta overhyped, but to be fair I haven't seen the episode in ages either.

There is, though, one thing that absolutely drives me nuts about the 2-Parter, and it just happens to be an animation flub, but still I take issue with it:

the stone face of Shokoti is shown to be high up on this really tall door, which symbolically suggests a very powerful entity behind; building up to something big.

Unfortunately, when He-Man cuts thru it...the door has now shrunk to his size, and the stone face of Shokoti is also much smaller, reducing the look of it to a hanging door ornament.

I find that overly symbolic as I found the build-up to the 2nd part far more exciting than He-Man's experiences when he's...well, actually inside.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I noticed that the door seemed smaller when He-Man cut through it, but that didn't mess the story up for me.

I think House of Shokoti I is an excellent story that really builds up suspense and gets the wheels of the narrative turning and hints that if this wasn't a children's show, the story could really get dark.

I also love "House of Shokoti II." In a lot of stories, the beast/monster/evil entity is scarier before you see it. Maybe that's why you prefer part I.

Of course, one reason I love this storyline is the key role the Sorceress plays.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Elder Councilman
    That's just it though....the suspense was really built up, and then nothing in the second part really lived up to the suspense of the first part; kind of a letdown.

The PSA was just pitiful too.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room