Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emiliano's Masters of the Universe Signature Series B-Sheets Collection

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Emiliano's Masters of the Universe Signature Series B-Sheets Collection

Mod note:
    Hey everyone this is just another general reminder. This thread is for talking about the art that is on display, not the artist or politics surrounding it. We don't condone insults on He-Man.Org and that includes all members past and present. These images are presented as a possible future line that the artist would like to see, so lets stay on track and keep things civil and respectful, we are all here to have fun & enjoy each others talents. Thanks!

READ FIRST!

It has been a while since last time I posted one of my MOTUC designs. But with all the talks about a possible rebrand of the Classics line of figures for 2016, I wanted to explore what I would personally like to see.

I then created a series of B-Sheets portraying a line-up of figures, based on MOTUC molds, but reworked to offer new versions of the main characters, offering a jump-in point for new collectors.

Going by the name of the line "Signature Series" I envisioned a line of figures that pay a big homage to the original creators of the line. Most of the figures I sketched are redesigned to reflect as much as possible the original B-Sheets that Mark Taylor created in 1981*.

Mind you, you may not recognize some of this stuff, or think some of the color scheme are pretty arbitrary. They are not. Everything is based on the original Mark's colored drawings I had the privilege to see a couple of years ago.

I plan to post the entire line up I drew, one each day. Stay tuned and you might also discover something new about MOTU history!

Reading some comments online I noticed that despite my best efforts, I wasn’t really able to explain what I’m doing here.
    Some people just don’t want a redo of the main character and want only new characters or unreleased characters.
    Some people don’t want redos in the MOTU Classics style at all.
    Some people want completely different sizes figures if they have to start over.
    Etc.

Well, if Mattel keep its word, and 2016 is a rebranded line, you will not see any of that.
    Rebranding the line means mostly the following things:
    -Refreshing the “appearances" of the line, by changing mainly the line name and the packaging.
    -Reusing as much as it’s possible existing tooling
    -Bringing back the main characters.
    You may not want that because you already have them, but that is not how the marketing works for those things. A “rebranded” line will supposedly try to catch up with collectors that didn’t buy this line in the first place, or that got into it too late and can’t find or afford the first releases anymore, all this while appealing to a portion of the existing customer that will buy again the main characters.

Now, mine is just an idea of many possible. I approach it with a very nostalgic and historical eye. I don’t think this is the best possible, it’s just what I’d love most.

I saw comments about those designs being weak or uninspired. Those made me smile. These people didn’t realize these designs are NOT by me, I merely adapted them to the Classic body. But these designs are MOTU. It’s what created MOTU. It all started there. Saying they are weak is like saying MOTU is weak and uninspired. I really don’t take it as a personal offense to me, I just find funny that people thinks the original MOTU designs are weak.

He-Man

Artist Notes: First one up is of course He-Man, with his dagger and the famous discarded helmet!

Skeletor

Artist Notes: Second b-sheet from my ideal 2016 MOTU figures line-up!

Today, let me introduce you to: D-Man!
    No, I'm not going nuts, this is how Mark Taylor originally envisioned Skeletor!
    Check out the mummified face, the visible bones on the forearms, the colored bats on his armor! (does that remind you of something?)

Mer-Man

Artist Notes: Third one in my series of ideal 2016 relaunch figures!
    This time, Mer-Man... and why Alfredo Alcala drew him the way he did in the minicomics

Beast Man

Artist Notes: I’m posting Beast Man today, because it's Sunday and Beast Man is the most disappointing figure. He only has a new head and trunks are shared with He-Man and Man-At-Arms.
    Why not redo more? Because I’m not just going wild with these. I tried to design a complete and affordable line up of figures that could be released over the course of an entire year. And remain affordable especially since this would be a sort of rebranding, but using most of the existing molds.

That means, some figures have more new tooling, and cost more, some would have less, and cost less but help fitting the higher-tooling ones in the budget. It’s how MOTUC worked since day one.

Beast Man is one of the characters that lend himself perfectly to this: his original B-Sheets by Mark Taylor is not that different from the final product. A simple repaint with a new head should be sufficient, sparing precious money for guys like Mer-Man or Teela.

Teela

Artist Notes: Today character is Teela in her original form as conceived by Mark Taylor.
    This is how originally the Teela figure was designed and how she shared parts with The Sorceress.

Stratos

Artist Notes: Today’s figure is Bird Man!
    Notice the super cool jetpack Mark had originally drawn!

Man-At-Arms

Artist Notes: The one many were expecting: Man-At-Arms!
    “But Man-At-Arms didn’t have a goatee!” He did originally, when Mark designed him. And his helmet was a lot less Gladiator and more Conquistadores

Zodac

Artist Notes: Today, another cheap one. Made with almost only existing parts (only the head is new), Sensor/Zodac was drawn exactly with these parts on the original b-sheets by Mark. That suggests he was drawn after the other figures sculpt had been finalized.
    This parts configuration doesn’t just stay true to the original design, but also provide a MOTUC body for our cosmic enforcer that is exactly like the vintage toy

Sensor completes the original so called "8-backs”. Tomorrow, what if these figures were offered in a subscription and there was also a sub exclusive?

Sorceress

Artist Notes: If this Signature Series was sold as a subscription, it would surely need a sub exclusive.
    So, keeping it in the history of MOTU, what would be better than the original (evil?) Sorceress?
    Mark had designed two female characters, with a reusable body. Eventually, the two characters were blend into one figure and the last spot in the line was taken by Zodac (as see in in the last b-sheet).
    But there is also a huge difference between how Mark designed her and how Alfredo Alcala portrayed her in the mini comic: originally she had regular caucasian skin color and she was just wearing a green suit!

Will there be more? Of course! I explored a few ways of expanding this line beyond the first 8 characters. Tomorrow I will post one direct continuation of this, and it will be quite surprising )

*I think one of the point I'd trying to make is that we should stop referring to these designs as Alcala's.
    Don't get me wrong, I love him, his art is one of the main reasons I fell in love with MOTU. But Alcala was just being extremely faithful to the concept art he was being provided with. So we, even for the minicomics, should start referring to them as Taylor's

Discuss!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 19, 2014 at 01:41pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Amazing stuff, can't wait to see man at arms and Teela , ( it would be great to see Teela with her original ' simple tunic' with the armour as a overlay

Great designs, but IMHO very lackluster as a kick-off for a 2016 rebranded line. For my money I don't want redo's of figures I already own (or will own by the end of 2015) many of. I don't want another He-man that only harkens back to Mark Taylor's B-sheet. Nor do I need yet another Skeletor, again only having appeared on a B-sheet. These designs mean well, but were I sitting in a product presentation meeting at Mattel in anticipation of a 2016 MOTU line these would barely register an eyebrow raise. Sorry, but they do not have the power.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Great designs, but IMHO very lackluster as a kick-off for a 2016 rebranded line. For my money I don't want redo's of figures I already own (or will own by the end of 2015) many of. I don't want another He-man that only harkens back to Mark Taylor's B-sheet. Nor do I need yet another Skeletor, again only having appeared on a B-sheet. These designs mean well, but were I sitting in a product presentation meeting at Mattel in anticipation of a 2016 MOTU line these would barely register an eyebrow raise. Sorry, but they do not have the power.
    This!
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Emiliano's work is totally awesome, as always! Nobody comes close to his talent and his knowledge of MOTU. His designs/engineering are so much better on many figures than what Mattel's design team has given us (Sorceress, Rock People etc). P&H Foundation is awesome!
    Awesome sticker included!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Emiliano's work is totally awesome, as always! Nobody comes close to his talent and his knowledge of MOTU. His designs/engineering are so much better on many figures than what Mattel's design team has given us (Sorceress, Rock People etc). P&H Foundation is awesome!
    This!

I agree !

Thanks for sharing, MegaGearMax !

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    If a 2016 line was going to include a bunch of 2.0 versions, this is a neat idea. It gives new fans a jumping on point, but the figures are different enough or nostalgic enough to appeal to some previous MOTUC collectors. Those of us who really are not interested in 2.0 versions (in which I include myself), well, we aren't going want to collect a line that is 2.0 heavy no matter what.

But this is neat, and better than just including a new accessory or doing a slight repaint.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Funnily enough, while I agree with you in theory, I'd actually be really excited for these designs and I'd happily buy these characters again. In most cases, the changes are different enough and unique enough (and with the history of the designs) I think they'd be really cool to own.

This is a better love letter than The Unnamed One, that much is for sure!

Bring on more of Mark Taylor's designs! Let's see that blonde Teela with her big ass ponytail!

This!
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Emil's imaginings of the designs are great, but I have no interest in these as figures. I'd rather have characters we may not get like Vultak, Masque, etc..
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Emil's imaginings of the designs are great, but I have no interest in these as figures. I'd rather have characters we may not get like Vultak, Masque, etc..
    me too...but a 2016 line with just 'obscure' figures is not going to sell. lets face reality: we need to add some re-imagined A-list in the pot in order to get it (hpefully) done
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    me too...but a 2016 line with just 'obscure' figures is not going to sell. lets face reality: we need to add some re-imagined A-list in the pot in order to get it (hpefully) done
    I agree but I think Filmation main characters would work better....just imagine figures like Mer Man, Clawful, Hordak, Skeletor and Teela...

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    I agree but I think Filmation main characters would work better....just imagine figures like Mer Man, Clawful, Hordak, Skeletor and Teela...
    Definitely. Not virtually unknown concept designs.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Curious to see Teela in this fashion, but the other stuff... I dunno. I like the mock-ups. Easter Egg stuff like this is fun, but as for actual action figures for me to buy, these versions and the tweaks are a bit too obscure to get me interested in re-buying most of these characters.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

EVIL TRENTONIAN
    Always cool to see some new Emiliano art. Now if he could draw a series of the numerous ways to decrease "fat-Armor" syndrome with step by step instructions, that would be cash.

I love everything about this! I'd never pay $40 for filmation animated tweaks on the main cast, but going back to the original Mark Taylor B-Sheets to create 2.0 figures this unique would hook me right back in. I especially love that Skeletor and Mer-Man, the only thing I'd like to see changed would be using Beast Man as a cost saving figure. He should IMHO instead be one of the most heavily tooled designs so we could have an accurate Red Beast Man from the early Alcala mini-comic!

P.S. Emiliano is a talented toy designer, I've really enjoyed his Transformer Generations figures (I'm still searching for that great looking Waspinator). I still wish he was working on MOTU at Mattel, could you imagine how great 4H/Emiliano MOTUC toys would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    P.S. Emiliano is a talented toy designer, I've really enjoyed his Transformer Generations figures (I'm still searching for that great looking Waspinator). I still wish he was working on MOTU at Mattel, could you imagine how great 4H/Emiliano MOTUC toys would be?
    Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Grepicon View Post
    Always cool to see some new Emiliano art. Now if he could draw a series of the numerous ways to decrease "fat-Armor" syndrome with step by step instructions, that would be cash.
    I'm not sure if that is something he does. He's a toy designer, not a customiser. There are numerous instructions on the org by people who successfully have customised their figures.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post

Any involvement of Emiliano in official MOTU stuff it's not going to happen, that ship sailed long ago.
    Having said that, his love for MOTU transpires of every drawing. His MOTUC Visions are simply perfect, and it's a shame that 4HM basically copied most of them for MOTUC line without any reward. Nevertheless, there's something in these signature sketches that I don't like. And it's not because of Emiliano, but I think that are just weaks (except the Mer-Man one).
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

So...demand for these 2.0 variants will be a three way dance between Pre-Filmation, Filmation, 200X and New 52 DC Comic?

Although this thread is mainly about the original Mark Taylor designs that were drawn by Alfredo Alcala in the original mini-comics, I am VERY curious to see how good really well done Filmation variants of He-Man and Skeletor would do. Especially with casual fans.

Wait....did Mark Taylor design "Bounty Hunter" Tri-Klops (aka the Terror of Tri-Klops costume?)

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    well, a filmation Teela would work just fine, Im sure of that (mainly because of her classic counterpart high rank status in the secondary market), not sure about the others. They definitely have to mix some re-dos, some filmations (variants or not= and some new ones (fang-or, despara, lady slither eccetera)

These are awesome. Emiliano's work & insight is excellent as always.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

I'd love to see figures like this. Those original concepts really hold up
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

These look fine and all, but not sure I'd really be interested. They are character designs I'm not really familiar with, and not interesting enough for me to be excited about.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)