Thread: Battle For Eternia RPG Interest Check

Battle For Eternia RPG Interest Check

I wanted to start an interest check to test the waters before typing up what I'd need to describe the stat system. Battle For Eternia is a game inspired by my love for He-Man and the MOTU and will have the cast of characters fighting to save Eternia in He-Man's absence. You can use a cannon character, use one for inspiration, or make a completely original character to throw into the universe. The game itself will be equal parts storytelling and stat system based battles against several familiar faces in the He-Man universe with only a handful of characters off the table. On to the story I was going with for the game....

Long Ago...

The Legendary He-Man fought alongside the Royal Guard and others as the Masters of the Universe. With his sword of power connected to the Sorceress and mystical Castle Grayskull, eventually the tyrant Skeletor was defeated and banished to another dimension. Prince Adam decided it was time to go abroad and He-Man disappeared. The Masters disbanded as there were no threats the Royal Guard of King Randor couldn't deal with themselves. Buzz Off went back to his people, Stratos went back to Avalon to lead the Birdmen, etc. All seemed to be well, at least for now...

Now, Ten Years Later...

Zodac returned to the planet Eternia, as a shift in the balance has his masters in the Cosmic Enforcers calling him into action. He visited King Randor and was not surprised He-Man had disappeared, however the King knew the Masters had to be reactivated. Recruiting members of the Royal Guard, the Birdmen of Avalon, and others, the new Masters of the Universe had to defend Eternia against the combined forces of Beast Man and his creature kingdom and Merman and his underwater abominations. Things only got worse when Snake Mountain became active again and serpentmen followers of King Hiss began trying to resurrect their leader. With He-Man gone, this could finally be the fall of Eternia...

As far as characters who are off the table: He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, Zodac, Beastman, Merman, and King Hiss. She-Ra is up for grabs as is the Sorceress. I'm also not opposed as to player input when it comes to potential story lines, enemies, boss battles, etc. Like I mentioned before, I came to this site thinking I was a MOTU fan, but compared to some of you I might as well be a six year old with a handful of action figures. If I can get a group of around 6-8 players I think we would have enough to go on to move forward. You don't have to be a huge He-Man fan to enjoy this. If swords and sorcery with a tad bit of tech involved is your thing, or you're a fan of 80's cartoons, this game is for you!

~TF~

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not an RPG'er but I like the premise, the set up, that you have.

It seems like you have a real specific plan/vision for this and I think that's good.

I am real keen on the creating your own character. I think that is a must feature.

Good Luck.

I just worked up the stat card base in mspaint using an old stock image of Eternia. I almost used Castle Grayskull but since it doesn't have as much to do with the game I figured Eternia was the only other option. Our enemies will get their own cards and a couple different backgrounds as well. I'm going to do my best to work up some micro heroes for the game as well like I do all of my other RP's. Again, this is just the base card for the heroes in the game. I'll have a breakdown of the stat system and a completed stat card later on so long as there's interest!

~TF~

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Not to steal your thunder but Battle for Eternia was a game.

Carry on.

Can't steal all my thunder, I brought plenty of caps. Originally I was gonna call it MOTU:Reborn, but Battle for Eternia sounded cooler. Didn't know it was a board game till last night LOL

I just noticed the game was to rescue He-Man! While we're not exactly rescuing him, he's out of the picture...

~TF~
    Last edited by Thunder Fist; January 23, 2016 at 10:34am.

I like your character card / sheet. Perhaps if you talked a little bit more about the game, some of the rules and other stuff you need to know to play the game there may be a little bit more interest.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The stats for this game will include:

I.Q. - (how strong your characters are mentally, for example Man At Arms would have a pretty high I.Q. where a rookie hero's would be less. Average human/alien would be 2.) IQ will determine if your Signature move is worth double [IQ set at 1-5] or triple [IQ set at 6-10] hp.

Strength - (1-5 has -1 damage, 6-10 has -2 damage) Your strength is the strength of your attacks!

Speed - (1-3 has 3 attacks per post, 4-7 has 4 attacks available, 8-10 has 5 attacks) Speed is used for how many attacks you can have per post. NOW it also effects Defense in the same way Attack is effected by Strength. 1-5 speed regains +1 health, 6-10 is +2 health.

Attack - (number of attacks) Each player will have melee attacks that are not included on your attack stat including basic punches and kicks. Attack is for things like sword strike, throw, bite, tail swipe, etc...

Defense - (number of defense moves, each can be used twice per battle. If your defense is 2 and the battle lasts 4 posts you can use 4 defense moves. If the battle rages on for 7 posts you are still limited to only 4 defensive moves total in that case. Defense can't block a signature attack!)

Health - (IQ+strength+speed+defense) Health is also reset every 10 posts!

*Signature moves awarded at Level 3 do double or triple damage depending on IQ. The attack/defense itself should include your weapon or any type of special ability. The only defense against a signature attack is a signature defense that can also be a move based on your weapons or special ability. Signature Defense is also the only defense you can use to help another player directly in-game from an enemy attack be it a regular attack or signature attack! At the moment you can only have one or the other, Signature Attack or Signature Defense.

Power Class - you earn a stat point/level for every 5 posts in-character.

Level 1 - 16 points - 1-5 posts
    Level 2 - 17 points - 6-10 posts
    Level 3 - 18 points (plus signature attack or defense!) - 11-15 posts
    Level 4 - 19 points - 16-20 posts
    Level 5 - 20 points - 21-25 posts
    Level 6 - 21 points - 26-30 posts
    Level 7 - 22 points - 31-35 posts
    Level 8 - 23 points - 36-40 posts
    Level 9 - 24 points - 41-45 posts
    Level 10 - 25 points 46-50 posts

If the game lasts long enough, and it might, we'll go beyond Level 10 and probably continue on to Level 15. Boss stats will be Level 15 to Level 20 with stats between 30-35 points making a team effort to defeat the enemy a must.

That's the basics for the stats. I'll make a finished stat card for either a boss or an NPC character. Or I'll just show you one from an older GLC themed game...

~TF~

Interesting.

So what is stopping people from maxing our characters out by just putting 10 in everything and making a god?

Everyone except for our enemies would begin with Level 1 stats. It's tailored so that the most you could max out would be one or two if we move beyond Level 10 and the game continues. Here's what a Level 4 stat card for Fisto might look like:

The more active in-game a player is, the more stat points they'll earn, and they'll become more powerful as they gain experience within the game.

~TF~

So for a level 1 character what is the maximum we can put in each stat?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    So for a level 1 character what is the maximum we can put in each stat?
    You have 16 points total to distribute between IQ, Strength, Speed, Attack, and Defense. Your Health stat is everything added together except for Attack.

~TF~

so something like this?

Last edited by wolfsfang; January 23, 2016 at 08:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    You need to remove the signature move for now [those are awarded at Level 3], and add a defense move. What you have listed should sync up to what's in the stats, 3 in attack means you list three attacks, same for defense. Other than that it looks great!

I may use Rotar, here's a stat card I worked up...

~TF~

Widget
    My love for roleplaying games and writing are the only things that challenge my love for Motu...You are now like a greek god among mortals in my eyes, Thunder Fist.

Quote Originally Posted by KNight( View Post
    My love for roleplaying games and writing are the only things that challenge my love for Motu...You are now like a greek god among mortals in my eyes, Thunder Fist.
    Here's a card for Orko like we discussed...

~TF~

Still looking for a couple more heroes OR villains! I know you''re out there! LOL

~TF~

Heroic Warrior
    I love to get a tactic rpg with de motu characters, somthing like Fire Emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter12 View Post
    I love to get a tactic rpg with de motu characters, somthing like Fire Emblem.
    This is like a simpler form of D&D. Would you still be interested?We almost have enough people to begin a campaign....

I've also reached out to a couple RP'ing friends on another site to see if they'd be down for this game. Once we get an actual game going and interested parties can see how it's played I'm sure more folks will want to join in.

~TF~

ENEMY STAT UPDATES!! HEROES & VILLAINS...

Our heroes will face Beastman and Murman who will both have Level 10 stats as mini bosses, while their minions as well as any serpent men we face will have stats between levels 1 and 5. King Hiss will have Level 15 stats.

Our villains will face the Royal Guard sentries from Levels 1-5 as well as serpent men, Stratos at Level 10 stats as a mini boss, with Man At Arms and Ram Man as mini bosses with level 12 stats. If any villains make it past the last two guys, HE-MAN will return with Level 15 stats as a final boss.

~TF~

Here's all we need with the Stat RP rather than a whole Character Sheet. Just Level 1 stats for your characters, a Brief Bio, and a Notes section. My boy... Aurik, the Shield of Eternos...

Brief Bio:

Aurik was a 15 year old understudy of the elder Man At Arms until roughly three months ago when attacks on the city of Eternos by Beastman and his creature army became a problem. While digging through some of Man At Arms' tech during one of the attacks he stumbled upon armor presumably once built for He-Man himself. There was a note in the red helmet that read: "In case the sword is ever lost this should give you enough juice to defend the city. Similar transformation, but in this case the armor makes your weapon. You will likely wield a sword. - Duncan". Putting on the armor that was clearly NOT made for a child, Aurik was transformed into a more adult version of himself. To his surprise, he did not receive a sword but rather a shield. Jumping into the front lines with the Royal Guard and the creatures Aurik discovered he also had incredible strength, and that his shield could become an energy dome shield over the Palace as well as later on over the entire city. The Shield of Eternos was born, and only the elder Man At Arms and Orko knew his secret. The suit itself is powered by a small shard of the Sunstone fitted on the helmet as a jewel, tapping into the nearly unlimited solar energy from the galaxy's suns.

Notes:

My plan stats wise will be to make Aurik the ultimate defender. I started him with increased Strength so I can build up his Defense power with Speed and IQ. My Signature move will be on Defense with increased healing so I can save anybody from losing too much health in-game. The IQ stat will now determine if signature moves are worth double [IQ: 1-5] or triple [IQ: 6-9]. Potentially at Level 10 my Signature Defense will be worth a Health recovery of +6 for anyone on the battle field.

____________________________-

Be honest, would yellow in the suit and design look better than red? I'd consider both solar energy colors, and the suit was originally designed to power Prince Adam/He-Man for short periods without the sword.

~TF~
    Last edited by Thunder Fist; Yesterday at 02:53pm.