Thread: Detailed Political and Physical Map of Eternia

Widget

Detailed Political and Physical Map of Eternia

After many months of research I’ve finished the map!

Here's a picture of how it looks

Map Of Eternia - Rubiera.jpg

the map size is 31.5’’ x 46’’ (80cm x 117cm)

This ULTIMATE MAP OF ETERNIA includes:

- All the eternian locations shown on published materials as:
    ANIMATED TV SERIES, TOY LINE BIOS, COMIC BOOKS, AUDIO BOOKS, ETC…
    and also all the eternian locations from the most relevant FAN FICTION stories.

- Over 100 independent territories separated by borders such as Kingdoms, Imperial Provinces,
    Duchies, etc..

- Ruling Capitals of each independent territory.

- Secondary Cities as well as many other interesting buildings: Farms, Prisons, Castles, Palaces,
    Temples… and other economically important locations such as Mines and Dams.

- Main Roads and Sea Routes.

- Oceans, Seas, Lakes and Rivers.

- Mountain Ranges and Peaks, Forests and Jungles. Deserts, Valleys, etc…

- Longitude/Latitude graticule!

- Inset of the eternian Poles.

Despite the geographical inconsistencies arising from the wide variety of authors and the lack of any strict geographical framework, I firmly believe that it’s possible to combine all these fabulous stories and creations in a common scenary. I created this map trying to be as consistent as possible. I’ve paid special attention to the eternian historical background, the physical transformation of the planet from the Preternia era. Moreover, I’ve tried to show my complete admiration for all the authors - both professionals and fan art/fiction authors - who have created this world for more than 30 years and they will continue doing.

A special thanks to He-Man.org, where I was able to find info for many steps during my research.

G.Rubiera.

Heroic Warrior
    This looks a really fantastic work and an extremely difficult task, bringing all Eternia's locations from the various stories and canons together, and creating a detailed and complete map of the planet. It's something that the MOTU mythos desperately needed. Can i ask if you included also the locations from the current DC comic? I really gope to see a larger image of the map soon. Well done for this absolutely great work!

Widget
    Thank you very much for your comments, Granamyr80.

The idea of this project was just that! To gather all the locations mentioned in all stories.
    So the answer to your question is yes, I have also considered the issues of the current line I have read so far.
    However, if you have any questions about a particular location, please let me know.

I’ll upload more pictures of the map soon, so please stay tuned to this thread!

Thanks again.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by grubiera View Post
    Thank you very much for your comments, Granamyr80.

The idea of this project was just that! To gather all the locations mentioned in all stories.
    So the answer to your question is yes, I have also considered the issues of the current line I have read so far.
    However, if you have any questions about a particular location, please let me know.

I’ll upload more pictures of the map soon, so please stay tuned to this thread!

Thanks again.
    You are very welcome and i will love to see more pictures of this map, because is looking awesome so far! A detailed map of Eternia is something that is really missing from MOTU, since the map we got with MOTUC was poorly made. And very glad to hear that you will also include the Eternian locations from the DC comic!
    Last edited by granamyr80; November 16, 2014 at 01:08pm.

Heroic Warrior
    this is a bloody good idea, well done indeed!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    If the Sands of Time desert is not in the center of the brightlands, Im not interested.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Ooooh, lots of hard work... Always intriguing! Looks like a proper map, man.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Widget
    Thank you Dwitefry, I sincerely believe that having a common framework can make more consistent and easier to understand any story located in Eternia in the future. This fantasy world still has a huge potential to generate high-quality stories for children and adults.

Thank you HordeMonkey, and you’re right: This has really been a ton of hours to fit all the pieces but considering the reaction of all the people who have been able to see and touch the finished map I can tell you that the effort was worthwhile!

Thank you for your comment, Eternian-King Paul.
    Here is a picture of where the Sands of Time Desert is located in my map:

SandsOfTime1.jpg

I want to emphasize that I have taken into account hundreds of stories, including comics, TV episodes, books, etc .. with weak geographical coherence between them. This map is basically a personal interpretation to all this information that already existed. Sometimes I had to choose to locate a place where it has no sense for a particular story. I've always had to follow some guidelines when locating. For example, I have given more importance to the stories from the first minicomics than those included in the German audio books.

Ya, know what, I like it.

Although I should add that to me the sands of time represent the center axis of the planet, rolling around its star, making this side the brightlands and the darklands the other side of the planet.
    I see no reason to make a map of the darklands, as that is where scary dragons live.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul
    Although I should add that to me the sands of time represent the center axis of the planet, rolling around its star, making this side the brightlands and the darklands the other side of the planet.
    I see no reason to make a map of the darklands, as that is where scary dragons live.
    Brightlands and Darklands? I thought that was only in the 2002-04 show. Sure, the 80's show showed Snake Mountain as always dark, but not the entire eastern continent.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Looks promising. I'd love to see more of the map. :-)
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Are you going to put the map for sale? I really like to have one!
    To infinity, and beyond!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    Brightlands and Darklands? I thought that was only in the 2002-04 show. Sure, the 80's show showed Snake Mountain as always dark, but not the entire eastern continent.

--SMP

All I am saying is that everything on the map, that is regarded or known, is just one side of the planet.
    I'm saying there's no map of the other side, and that it is where dragons live.
    My vision is that the planet Eternia spins around a center pole, and rolls around its star, making one side face the sun and the other side faces away from the star. Brightlands and darklands.
    To me this has nothing to do with where Skeletor is in the picture, the Snakemountain is not always in darkness.
    I see it that the two moons eclipse the brightlands every day, providing a cycle of night and day.
    You don't have to agree, but I have put a lot of thought into this stuff.

Great job! I'd really love to see more.

It looks like you scaled it - what's the scale?
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamps View Post
    Are you going to put the map for sale? I really like to have one!
    Gracias Jamps, some fans have asked me the same question so I'm considering to make some copies for collectors. Please contact me by PM and we can talk about it.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Great job! I'd really love to see more.

It looks like you scaled it - what's the scale?
    Thank you Poweron, the lines you can see is the Longitude/Latitude graticule. There is no scale, just degrees.

I finally decided not to scale the map for several reasons:

- The main reason is that there are no clear references to distances between locations in any of the materials that I found.
    - Concerning the size of Eternia there are many different opinions and honestly I think all or most of them are valid. You can also check this thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Planet-Eternia
    - I would have loved to use the time/space eternian units that Gwildor uses in the movie released in 1987, but I did not have enough consistent data to work with.

However, since I understand it’s sufficiently accepted that the planet Eternia has a spherical shape, I thought it was more convenient to use parallels and meridians in order to be able to accurately locate any place. For instance: The Gretori Bridge is on N0º8’ E20º45’

If you are planning to travel to Eternia, don’t forget your GPS

Widget
    Thank you Eternian-King Paul and SnakeMenPriest! I really appreciate your interesting comments.

The concept of the light hemisphere and a dark hemisphere (I guess is what you mean when you talk about brightlands and darklands) is something interesting that admits many interpretations.

But this time I totally agree with SnakeMenPriest. There are many stories that happen in the dark hemisphere under the sun light e.g. the story about Az-Kew and the Village of New Burrow just near the Snake Mountain!

Note: For me, and also in the map, the Darklands are the lands where Kor the Sorcerer and many other interesting characters and creatures live.

Eternian-King Paul, Concerning your concept of the only-one-half-planet-map:
    your idea about the cycles of moon eclipses is really great but my target was always to create a geographical chart of the entire planet and as you should know there are a lot of materials where the basic shape of the surface of the whole planet is described. One main reference is the MOTU Bible.
    So my map includes all corners in Enternia (also the poles)

When I was creating the map I also considered this drawing of the planet from the animated series. I will try to offer a similar vision of this shot using my map:
    RubieraMapEternia3.jpg

I attempted to draw a map of Eternia a while back.
    I did it quick and simple.

It was for a ten stage game I made called Masters Quest, and I didn't really care where specific places are, I just wanted to show that it requires a lot of traveling to get there.
    It has giant mushrooms,, you're welcome.
    Also the squiggly circle around the map is meant to be ice, as I see it there is an equator of ice.
    I call it Equa-polar-ice peaks.

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    This looks awesome--would it be possible to see some more detailed close-ups of it?
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Widget
    Thanks Telkan2!
    Here is another pic of the Map:

RubieraMapEternia4.jpg

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    This looks awesome--would it be possible to see some more detailed close-ups of it?
    CLOSE-UP!
    Here you have a closer view of just a small part of the Map:
    RubieraMapEternia5.jpg

I look forward to your comments and questions about any particular eternian location!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by grubiera View Post
    CLOSE-UP!
    Here you have a closer view of just a small part of the Map:
    RubieraMapEternia5.jpg

I look forward to your comments and questions about any particular eternian location!
    This is really an awesome and incredibly detailed work. The last one picture with Anwat Gar, i love it!

Heroic Warrior
    Looks great