Thread: SOTS MOTU project: 3D game level / Castle Rooms

SOTS MOTU project: 3D game level / Castle Rooms

.................................................. .................................................
    Hello,

Some time ago I have been working on a small, indie MOTU project, Secret Of The Sword. One year ago project took a turn & moved from MOTU fan-creation to fully original non-MOTU, adventure/action game: Blade Of Power.

This is the first level from my old MOTU project that is now fixed-up & available for download Level has been updated a bit with some post processing effects & specular lights but is essentially the same as it was two-three years ago.

My friend Ivan, who done the music & special effects for this level, also made some substantial updates to the menu, death & main in-game theme together with the new birds sound effect.

This level is a find-and-use level with no battles or enemies (unless you count the Man-At-Arms guardian robot as enemy) but it shouldn't be too hard to finish.

The impressions that everyone who played it had are that the level is somewhat therapeutic It has a calm, smoothing atmosphere, slow music theme with birds in the background & a mild bloom effect that brightens up the scene a bit.
    .................................................. .................................................

Level can be downloaded from the site here...

Secret Of The Sword / Castle Rooms

Hope you all enjoy it & have fun

Few screenshots from the level:
    Image hosted by servimg.com Image hosted by servimg.com Image hosted by servimg.com Image hosted by servimg.com
    Last edited by Ganderoleg; May 7, 2010 at 02:50pm.
    My Masters Of The Universe 3D game project:
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:
    >>Blade Of Power<< >>Sorcerers<< >>J, J & BUM<<
    Pavle Nikolic >Ganderoleg<

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    nice work what game is the mod for

I've worked in the past incorperating MOTU into other games mainly freedom force so i know how much work can go into it, the maps and settings are the most difficult.
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Great job! Congratulations!

@ the_Ultimate_Evil
    Thanx It's a stand-alone application developed on 3D Game Studio game development platform. It's something similar to Unity or Ogre but more easy to use & , in my opinion, more advanced.

Download & check out the level if you have time I don't know your pc configuration but it should be playable on most machines. Take a look at help file if game runs too slow (you can speed up the game by disabling smoothing with PageDown key)

Btw I was only able to check out the deviant art page from your sig. Portfolio & blog are not accessible.

@Evil_Horde
    Thanx please check out the level if you have time.
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    i'll give it a try mate, cheers i was meant to to change the link to the new blog but the portfolio one should work
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

I downloaded the game. Once the game started I only got a black screen with the status bar and music. It might be our PC is just too ancient to run this game.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Sorry to hear that
    It's probably because of the post-processing effects (you need a graphic card with Vertex-/Pixelshader 2.0/2.a support) but unfortunately they cannot be turned off.

There is, however, one thing you could try:

In the main game folder (that contains the exe) you will see fsaa.dll file that regulates the anti-aliasing effect: delete that file. You may be able to play after that but the game graphics will not have anti-aliasing effect(all edges will be very jagged).

Hope this will help.
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

great! me too im working in a MOTU 3D game from few months ago. it's different to your project. mine is 3d fighting game using Unity 3D Engine.

What engine are you using ?

I am developing with 3D Game Studio, commercial edition (pro edition is too expensive for me at the moment ) It has a nice workflow & it's extremely adjustable when it comes to programing, shaders, PP effects & stuff like that. Apart from using 3DGS I also use Blender for lightmapping & character design, DAZ for animation & Paint.Net & IrfanView for 2D work.

I also always liked Unity but it doesn't have middle-ground version that is both economic & a bit more advanced (pro version is, again, too expensive for me) The free version doesn't have the features that I wanted to have in my projects (render-to-texture, post-processing effects, real-time shadows, video support...)

Did you download the level & what do you think? Keep in mind that it's really an old level that has been cleaned up a bit.

Btw do you have some screenshots (or maybe a demo) of your project somewhere on the forum ?
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

Sound like you are a really professional in it!

I worked in the develop of some games for ps3 and xbox360. i 3d designer, use Maya in my work. sometimes i have to program so im a bit used to C and java.

Unity is very simple And there are a lot of tutorials in the net so is easy.

Sorry but no pics at the moment. im using a single char with some basic animation in the engine and modeling now he-man. im looking bake all in the texture or use toon shader fo make it more cartoon. i don't want a 3d looking for this game.

Im download your game now
    Last edited by badmouse; May 9, 2010 at 01:41pm.

Wow Maya: if Blender is Adam I guess Maya would have to be He-Man I always wanted to use Maya in my work but it's way, waaay to expensive for me

What I really liked about Unity is a very good enemy AI. 3DGS also has few AI solutions but they are not really that good (except for Intense X, that one is reasonably good).

Yeah toon shader would be the way to go. In it's early stages (while it was still a MotU project) my game was a mix of 3D environment & 2D characters. The second (& unfortunately the last) level that I'm going to introduce on the forum in a few days has that concept: Skeletor robots & Mer-man are 2D animated sprites that are sett in the 3D environment.

I am looking forward at seeing your game on the forum once it's finished.
    Do you have your portfolio somewhere on web?
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

Yeah, the AI of unity is very bad. i programing my game to play online. i don't know too much about program a good AI.

I check your MOTU game. looks really good. are you baking the occlusion and lighting in the textures or is all real time ? are you using vertex colors ?

In my site i haven't too many project. in the company where im working don't let me post too much.

anyway is www.cgplug.com and it's in a perfect spanish! hahaha

You are very, very good in your work
    My favorites are Takoyaki Car Project & mouse character. Btw there is a video of Ikebukuro Japan project: I was just wondering if the video is a real-time engine capture? If it's engine, is it a secret what engine? It seems to be very good.

As for Castle Rooms, it's very old level & all objects have only 3DGS native lightmaps (with no dynamic light sources except for robot red/green dynamic lights). If you have time you could check out Sorcerers link from my signature, this is my most recent project, or just download Sorcerers demo from here:

http://www.filefront.com/15331635/Sorcerers.zip

Sorcerers levels are modeled in 3DGS but are lightmapped in Blender & have one UV map for textures & second UV map for Lightmap (lighmap has baked ambient occlusion, lights & shadows). I also added some shaders & PPE.

...and here are also some of my most recent character design & animation works:

http://www.filefront.com/15801291/Ac...2010-03-11.avi
    http://www.filefront.com/16408859/PlayerReDesign.avi

...and semi-recent game video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr3aje5aux0

...who knows, maybe in a future we could make a small MOTU game together
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

The Ikebukuro project is a video render. but we have a engine running that. but in the render i used sun light simulation and we haven't that light in the engine.

Yeah! will be cool work in stg new together!
    Last edited by badmouse; May 11, 2010 at 10:00am.

Yes, I figured it would have to be a super-cool engine or a video render

We should definitely consider creating some small MotU app when we find time in a future, when you finish your game & I come close to the finish of the J J & BUM project. Maybe even a little 2D game that could be played in a window or even in a browser
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

Absolutly! Mine will run in local form or in a browser with online option.

At the moment without AI, only vs mode local / net or training mode.

Maybe in the future Using the same characters make a plataform game like the old games like simpsons, tmnt, captain commando, etc. I like the 2D play style with better graphics.

Yeah, cool 2D game would be a way to go. I am a first-person-games-man myself, but since I am as old as time (as, I guess, most of the MotU fans are because '84 was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ) I enjoyed many of the Commodore 64 & Amiga 500 games.

Dizzy, Camelot Warriors, Rick Dangerous, Nosferatu, Saboteur, Creatures... just to name some of my all time favorites, and my absolute, ultra-favorites: Dragon's Lair & Space Ace created by the master of animation: Don Bluth. I always wanted to make something like that but, unfortunately, never had enough talent for it
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects:

Quote Originally Posted by badmouse View Post
    Yeah, the AI of unity is very bad. i programing my game to play online. i don't know too much about program a good AI.

I check your MOTU game. looks really good. are you baking the occlusion and lighting in the textures or is all real time ? are you using vertex colors ?

In my site i haven't too many project. in the company where im working don't let me post too much.

anyway is www.cgplug.com and it's in a perfect spanish! hahaha
    Let me know if you need help with your AI. I can give you a neural network model to work off of that I used for a fighting game in director 3d (5 years ago)

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Since Secret of the Sword: Castle Rooms has about 40 downloads so far I also decided to make a small walkthrough video & put it on YouTube. It will make things easier both for those who want to play the level & for those who just wanna take a look at the game's visuals

Here is the link to the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om45r23g3dY

Enjoy

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

For some unknown reason almost all my uploads on FileFront have been deleted & I had to upload a number of them again. The process is not yet finished but I re-uploaded SotS:Castle Rooms & updated the links on the site:

http://grayskull.weebly.com/secret-o...tle-rooms.html

Have fun

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Last edited by Ganderoleg; September 11, 2010 at 04:09pm.
    >>Secret Of The Sword<<
    Non-MOTU game projects: