Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltron = Latest 80s Property To Get Mattel Toys...And A Cartoon.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Love the old theme music with the new vid. Should have gone that route in the first place.The only way I'll change my opinion on this show if Scott Mc Neil voices in it. I<3 his work.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The episodes look really good in HD. I don't have Nicktoons in HD at home, so I was surprised at how vibrant and nice everything was.
    I also noticed that after you watch a few episodes you really do not notice the difference in the animation, unless you are really looking for it.

I agree about the ending song. In fact, someone has already made a Youtube video of the ending version of the old theme over the new credits... it is MUCH better.
    See I knew it would work out better, I hate when they do rap themes because they never sound right. 4Kids used to do it and it ruined the intros for their shows
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I liked it.

• I'm on the fence about the Voltron robot mode
    • Maybe Pidge is a young adult now--possibly 18-21?
    • Lotor reminds me of Drizzt...
    • The Voltron Force has melee weapons?
    • Lance is the only one cool enough for a jacket...

Positives:
    • I notice the focus on the lions, which have great designs.
    • Classic Robeasts!!!
    • Gary Chalk returns as Wade!
    • Galaxy Garrison is a second enemy? I smell Vehicle Voltron as a future enemy. In the more recent comics, Vehicle Voltron was created by trying to reverse engineer the Lion Voltron.

Negatives:
    • Argh! I hate the rap!
    • I don't like the drawn animation too much. It reeks of being too childish. However, I'm not the target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    No Zarkon? No Merla? No Yorak, Kossak, or Hagar? No thanks!
    They might show up later in the season...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Are these for the lions that are eventually supposed to be sold on Matty Collector? If so, will the pilot figures come with the Lions or be sold separately?
    I think the Mattycollector.com versions are the Original Voltron Lions. The new Nicktoons stuff will probably be the retail stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    And no original voice actors? Come on. Even the CG show had a bunch of originals. What are Neil Ross, BJ Ward, Jack Angel and Michael Bell doing these days? I know Lennie Weinrib died in 2006, RIP. Hell, I haven't seen Tim Curry doing anything lately LOL He could have returned as Lotor.
    Transformers conventions!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I liked it.

• I'm on the fence about the Voltron robot mode
    I actually love the new Robot mode, I like how he can move around instead of having to Robocop it or Power Ranger it

• Galaxy Garrison is a second enemy? I smell Vehicle Voltron as a future enemy. In the more recent comics, Vehicle Voltron was created by trying to reverse engineer the Lion Voltron.
    God I hope so, I love Vehicle Voltron (and the Dairugger XV anime is so much better than GoLion) and hope we get a rebirth of him here
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon

Transformers conventions!
    You have a point LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    God I hope so, I love Vehicle Voltron (and the Dairugger XV anime is so much better than GoLion) and hope we get a rebirth of him here
    While I like the Lion Voltron more than the Vehicle one, I would still like to see Vehicle Voltron show up.

But, depending on how much of this is actually 'canon' with the old series, Vehicle Voltron already exists and they teamed up at one point. Though aside from the 'Fleet of Doom' movie, I don't specifically recall one Voltron team aknowledging the existence of the other one in any episodes. Each seemed to imply they were the 'one and only' Voltron (but I haven't watched most of the episodes on years, so maybe I just don't recall any such references).

But that being said, it would be kind of cool if the Fleet of Doom movie was canon to this and the other Voltron already exists.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I had originally thought Mattel got the crappier license with Voltron when compared to Bandai's Thundercats, but now I'm not so sure. I'm really having fun watching this cartoon. Not only do I even like the 3 kids on it, I feel like a kid myself while watching it. I'd have LOVED this toon if it aired in the 80's. I'd be curious to see this new version in toy form as well as the 80's anime version. I was already planning on dropping Ghostbusters after my 2011 subscription & I'm not sure what I'm going to do with MOTUC(I currently have 2 subs but will probably drop 1 if not both next year), but if they look cool at SDCC, I might sign up for Mattel's Voltron sub.

This is what MYP's MOTU & Young Justice should have been. A fun show full of likable characters that concerned itself more with entertaining kids than nostalgic 30-somethings.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

While I like the Lion Voltron more than the Vehicle one, I would still like to see Vehicle Voltron show up.

But, depending on how much of this is actually 'canon' with the old series, Vehicle Voltron already exists and they teamed up at one point. Though aside from the 'Fleet of Doom' movie, I don't specifically recall one Voltron team aknowledging the existence of the other one in any episodes. Each seemed to imply they were the 'one and only' Voltron (but I haven't watched most of the episodes on years, so maybe I just don't recall any such references).

But that being said, it would be kind of cool if the Fleet of Doom movie was canon to this and the other Voltron already exists.
    Umm Pidge and his brother Chip corresponded quite a few times throughout the 2 series via letter (There is an episode Letters from Home that deals with their relationship).

They both knew fully of each others Robots. Rocky was also sparring partner to Hunk in the Academy.

I think I saw one episode of "Vehicle Voltron" as a kid & I don't believe we got anything more than Matchbox toys for the 3rd anime that was to be made a part of Voltron in the States, but I'd love to see both of them brought into this show. This show seems to have actual Voltron fans working on it unlike a lot of rebooted shows that feel like the creators had never even seen an episode of the franchise's previous shows.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I had originally thought Mattel got the crappier license with Voltron when compared to Bandai's Thundercats, but now I'm not so sure. I'm really having fun watching this cartoon. Not only do I even like the 3 kids on it, I feel like a kid myself while watching it. I'd have LOVED this toon if it aired in the 80's. I'd be curious to see this new version in toy form as well as the 80's anime version. I was already planning on dropping Ghostbusters after my 2011 subscription & I'm not sure what I'm going to do with MOTUC(I currently have 2 subs but will probably drop 1 if not both next year), but if they look cool at SDCC, I might sign up for Mattel's Voltron sub.

This is what MYP's MOTU & Young Justice should have been. A fun show full of likable characters that concerned itself more with entertaining kids than nostalgic 30-somethings.
    In rewatching the 4 episodes I think I agree with you, its got a certain charm (same reason I liked watching Rescue Heroes for example) and if I were a kid I would be flat out in love. Its easy to follow, does not **** all over the past legacy, and is working on building off the original.

Plus we have not seen the toys but with as simple as the designs are in the show it would take a colossal screw up to not give us cartoon accurate figures and vehicles.

The show is done in Flash/Flash like partially for that very reason imho

Hmm. I don't know. The animation definitely dipped for the fourth episode. It bothers me that Lotor doesn't have his alien eyes anymore, but also that Wade is such a flatly cliche villain. Is he Zarkon in disguise? He just seems to be a jerk for the sake of it, and no one else appears to notice or care to do anything about him. Also he and Lotor failed to react to each other's forces, despite that they were both attacking Arus at the same time. Shoot, their soldiers were practically interchangeable in the battle, as if they just figured 'hey, as long as we're all shooting at the lions!' For now I feel like both villains are diluted. The one villain I was liking, Kala, got killed off almost immediately. Bad choice. In this latest ep I thought maybe Wade had resurrected the Tiger Fighters, but that appears to not be the case since they're destroyed before they could make much of an impression.

The kids seem more interesting than the returning VF characters apart maybe for Lance and Pidge. I don't even recognize Hunk, he could be a different guy and not make a difference. The show might even be better if the kids were the only leads. Maybe Keith is so boring looking because he'll be disappearing soon? Him, Allura, and Hunk could do a Sven any minute and I don't think they'd be missed.

This is what MYP's MOTU & Young Justice should have been.
    I think they were, plus they have/had better animation. I especially think you're wrong about Young Justice, as I have enjoyed that show more on pretty much every level.
    This show seems to have actual Voltron fans working on it unlike a lot of rebooted shows that feel like the creators had never even seen an episode of the franchise's previous shows.
    There may be, though I still think some things could be better than they are. This is certainly better than the previous sequel Voltron show by lightyears.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 24, 2011 at 05:34pm.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I was concerned about the presence of the cadets originally -- but fortunately they don't seem to weigh down the show.

Although, I don't believe the first 3 episodes established why the Voltron team needed to recruit them in the first place. They're there but why?

It'd make a lot more sense if the Voltron team was in their late 40s or 50s and were looking to train replacements. But as best I can figure this new series takes place about 6-8 years after the events of the original show (10 years at the most) so the Voltron team doesn't really need to look for replacements yet.

So far, I think the most interesting of the cadets is Vince because his technomage abilities offer all sorts of potential to the show.

They seem to be playing it as a mystery so far. On the voltron.com site they have an ask-the-head-writer thread and he said they originally planned to show that Vince and Daniel were recruited Last of the Starfighter's style with some Lions video game. That was cut for time, and now it's more of a mystery. It seems to me there is some destiny element to it... Allura keeps referring to "greater forces."

They seem to be playing it as a mystery so far. On the voltron.com site they have an ask-the-head-writer thread and he said they originally planned to show that Vince and Daniel were recruited Last of the Starfighter's style with some Lions video game. That was cut for time, and now it's more of a mystery. It seems to me there is some destiny element to it... Allura keeps referring to "greater forces."
    Allura even says in Episode 2 that whatever it is they had in mind for them was not supposed to happen yet

If I had to guess it would be they are being groomed to replace or work in tandem to the core group (watching the Castle while the Lions are out, running command center activities, taking Lions when needed) but the return of Lotar and the corruption surrounding Wade has sped things up

One of the Virginias, United States of America, but mostly in the Hidden Land of Avalon
    I think I saw one episode of "Vehicle Voltron" as a kid & I don't believe we got anything more than Matchbox toys for the 3rd anime that was to be made a part of Voltron in the States, but I'd love to see both of them brought into this show. This show seems to have actual Voltron fans working on it unlike a lot of rebooted shows that feel like the creators had never even seen an episode of the franchise's previous shows.
    The Third Series Voltron is known as "Gladiator Voltron". It is a three piece/ three pilot set of humanoid mechs that were interchangeable as to which could be the legs, torso, or head. They were also supposed to operate in the "Near Universe" directly from Galaxy Garrison and Earth verses some major threat. Just Like Vehicle Voltron, Gladitor was supposed to be anothe experimental attept at making "Another Voltron". That is only info I have from other Voltron sites and the 1st DVD sets for Lion Force/Vehicle Force.

Umm Pidge and his brother Chip corresponded quite a few times throughout the 2 series via letter (There is an episode Letters from Home that deals with their relationship).

They both knew fully of each others Robots. Rocky was also sparring partner to Hunk in the Academy.
    Vehicle Voltron operated in the "Far" Universe and Fought the Original Drule Empire that Zarkon broke off of.
    Lion Voltron operated in the "Middle" Universe verses Zarkon and the Planet Doom.
    The Series were supposed to operate as some kind of three tiered verion of the Milky Way Galaxy with 1 Voltron guarding each sector. I hope we one day get a english dub of this series properly tieing it to the other two, they can even use the new voice actor if they wanted too. Also there was a proposed 2nd movie that never surfaced in America and questionablly even in Japan that was supposed to team up all three or two of the three verses one of the remaining threats.
    Griffen Is not My real name, just what I aspire to be.

See My "Griffen Thailonis" Storyline, Bionicle, & Star Wars Models in the links below:

My LEGO Network Page
    LEGO Creator 2D Gallery
    LEGO Creator 3D Gallery
    LEGO Bionicle Gallery
    LEGO Star Wars Gallery

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    But MYP and Young Justice are cool cartoons with likeable characters...

I had originally thought Mattel got the crappier license with Voltron when compared to Bandai's Thundercats, but now I'm not so sure. I'm really having fun watching this cartoon. Not only do I even like the 3 kids on it, I feel like a kid myself while watching it. I'd have LOVED this toon if it aired in the 80's.
    I guess I'm from the opposite direction. I like cartoons that are supposed to be for kids, but good enough for adults to like, such as Justice League, Batman the Animated Series, Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I guess my stuff is for the Y-7 crowd.

But I'm enjoying Voltron as well.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 24, 2011 at 10:03pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Have any pictures of the toys been released yet?

I guess I'm from the opposite direction. I like cartoons that are supposed to be for kids, but good enough for adults to like, such as Justice League, Batman the Animated Series, Wolverine and the X-Men and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I guess my stuff is for the Y-7 crowd.

But I'm enjoying Voltron as well.

You say you are from the "opposite direction"(you like cartoons for kids but good enough for adults), and yet you are enjoying Voltron. Am I missing something here?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Have any pictures of the toys been released yet?
    Nope - I believe we're supposed to see the toys at SDCC along with the Classics Voltron figures. I can't wait! They haven't said when the Voltron Force figures are coming. I hope they come sooner than the Classics (which are coming in 2012). It seems a shame if they miss the Christmas season for shows from the new toys.

Nope - I believe we're supposed to see the toys at SDCC along with the Classics Voltron figures. I can't wait! They haven't said when the Voltron Force figures are coming. I hope they come sooner than the Classics (which are coming in 2012). It seems a shame if they miss the Christmas season for shows from the new toys.
    Considering Young Justice premiered the day after Thanksgiving last year and we still haven't seen any toys from Mattel(other than pics in magazines & online), I'm not expecting Voltron Force figures until next year.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Christmas would be the earliest we could see them, solicitations and sales to stores for Fall were already done in Feb-March

Mattel knows how valuable Christmas is, they posted in the financials this year that they missed the boat on Monster High last Christmas and won't make that mistake again

However it is poor showing to launch a cartoon with no product, especially when Hasbro and Bandai doing things much better (Bandai will have Thundercats toys out in August shortly after the show airs at the end of July, Hasbro has product on the shelf normally within a month of launch).

I am guessing they are holding product for Christmas to take advantage of the hype at SDCC for the classics. We can almost expect that every Voltron retail toy will come with a flyer for the MattyCollector classics line

Considering Young Justice premiered the day after Thanksgiving last year and we still haven't seen any toys from Mattel(other than pics in magazines & online), I'm not expecting Voltron Force figures until next year.
    If you had went to C2E2 you would have seen the product for Young Justice up close

But yeah I get what you are saying, though at least YJ will have a Con toy to go with the toys that are not available in stores lol
    Last edited by markatisu; June 25, 2011 at 12:47am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar

I stand corrected!

It's been years since I've watched most of the episodes. I really need to sit down and watch them again. I do have all of the episodes of both versions of Voltron on DVD, I just have yet to watch them. I actually also bought all of the volumes of GoLion and Dairugger as well. I was just going on what I seemed to recall... but it's not like my memories of the show are all that fresh.

The only thing I've really seen of the old series in the last couple/few years is Fleet of Doom, which as of today I now have 3 copies of!

I ordered the Voltron.com version of it from that site when it first came out... then later got the 'Media Blasters' version that was sold elsewhere (I think from Amazon). And I just received an order today from voltron.com for a few items that I ordered, including the soundtrack CD, and they must have A LOT of leftover copies of their versions of the FoD DVD, as they are now giving away a free copy with every order.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I knew the stupid rap theme song and the human animation style looked familiar, this is being headed up by John Delaney who previously worked at 4Kids (which as anyone knows loves the rap intros on their animes) and he personally worked on Chaotic which shares a lot of the same Flash style animation with basic human designs

On another note I saw this interview with John about Voltron Force, seems they have at least 3 seasons planned out

http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...r-john-delaney

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Flash-style animation. It's not as smooth as something like Young Justice but not anywhere near looking like cutouts moving across the scene. There is some dimensionality and a feeling they are moving in a 3D space. Although, maybe you've seen better Flash animation than I.
    Last edited by JonWes; June 25, 2011 at 12:05pm.

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Flash-style animation. It's not as smooth as something like Young Justice but not anywhere near looking like cutouts moving across the scene. There is some dimensionality and a feeling they are moving in a 3D space. Although, maybe you've seen better Flash animation than I.
    I point you to My Little Pony Friendship is Magic to see excellent Flash Animation, just because a lot of companies opt to cheap out does not mean it can't technically look good.

I mean look at South Park, the computers and software used to render that could do effects for Lucasfilm or Pixar but they opt to retain the paper cutout look

Voltron I think is hand drawn and CGI mixed in the Philippines but the effect they are going for definitely has a flash feel to it (in that its simplistic in nature). That might be so they can translate the characters and environments to Flash games on Nicks website, etc.