Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltron = Latest 80s Property To Get Mattel Toys...And A Cartoon.

Thanks for that! I also recommend people check out the Voltron.com message boards. I just signed up and there's a nice thread where the producer of the show answers questions about it.

I also liked this pic that was in the article (rehosted of course

I think it's actually a really nice update to the title character. They managed to make him more sleek and curved while still maintaining the main essence of the character. It's a much better go than the clunky, weirdly proportioned one from the CGI series a few years back. I also like the new Castle of Lions.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!!

I watched the premier 3 episodes of the new Voltron series, and it was boring as hell. The animation was choppy and cheap looking, the voice acting was average, and the villains were boring as hell. Lotor was so boring it was not even funny. There is a "evil" general in it and his reasoning for doing what he is is just down right ridiculous. The three kids in the series are lame and came out of nowhere instead of being properly introduced through several episodes. Instead, it suffers the same syndrome most Transformers series have suffered over the last several series, forcing us to watch three kids who are just thrown into the plotline without any rhyme or reason and are never actually developed for us to care about them, just to adhere to the child audience. The design of Voltron is decent, but the opening theme song is just down right terrible, Dragonball GT terrible. It is some lame rap song that does not even fit at all. The worst thing about it besides the opening song was that they made it a sequel series instead or a reboot. With the length of time between series, it should have just been a straight up new beginning. With that said, overall, it was almost as bad as Voltron 3D, but like always, I'm going to give it 5 episodes to impress me. If it does not get better in 2, then I am done with the series. I give its premier a 1/5.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

For those who missed it, they've confirmed on the Facebook page that Voltron will be on tomorrow at Noon EST (11am CST) in case you missed it. Also, thought I'd post the cool pic that accompanied the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Here is a pretty good interview with the director of the show that talks about some of the things in this thread:
    http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...r-john-delaney
    If I didn't knew any better, I'd say those pics were bunch of fanart.
    I'm utterly baffled by it's horridness.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    If I didn't knew any better, I'd say those pics were bunch of fanart.
    I'm utterly baffled by it's horridness.
    Those aren't the best promo images, but the art is better in the show. Now that I've seen the first two episodes, I think whoever is doing backgrounds for Arus and Planet Doom needs to step up their game because those settings looked very generic. Interiors at the academy and Castle of Lions looked good, but landscapes were bland. The animation is kind of overdone, like on some Disney cartoons in the 90s, but at least it looks fluid. I wonder if they can keep it up. I think the worst design is Keith. He looks utterly boring for such a built up character, and even though they call out and remove the mullet, he looks like he came out of the Hannah Barbera years of Captain Planet. Most of the designs are better but tend to look like something from ten years ago, and more than a little similar to MYP's MOTU. Allura's niece looks very 200X Teela, particularly when they give her a staff to fight with! And Lotor is sporting Count Marzo's bangs even. I think the CGI and traditional animation styles are always an awkward fit, and this is no different.

I'm guessing the new teenaged characters will get their own vehicles or start replacing the original pilots at some point? I'm surprised Pidge is still a kid too, I guess that means the niece cannot be the daughter of Sven since he only just got married to Allura's cousin while Pidge was still young. Actually, was that look-alike intended to be Allura's cousin? I forget if that was the Go Lion version or not. I just remember the guy who looked like Sven was his little brother in Go Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I am confused, the teaser art and concept images showed Zarkon and Hagar I thought
    Any links to those images? I haven't seen any indication that Zarkon is in this (or that he'll look like he should as most of the other characters are missing their signature costumes). I've only seen King Lotor and the implication that Hagar was out of the picture. I was thinking Commander Kala was maybe Merla, but after seeing the second episode, maybe not. Too bad if they've dispatched her, I was liking her more than the goofy doctor character.

Tim Curry was not Lotor to me, I wouldn't want him doing that voice again. I love him though, so no hate for him if he did find the time to work on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I just hope we get DCU sized and styled figures of the main characters from the old series. I want the six pilots, Sincline, Daibazul, Minerva, and then some Dairugger figures would be great.
    If you mean Zarkon, Hagar and Lotor with those non-Americanized names (after all this is Voltron, not Go Lion), then yeah! But I doubt we'll see those large style figures for this property. These will probably get Infinite Heroes scale.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 19, 2011 at 09:15am.

I hope not. Mattel has proven they have no idea how to do small sized figures. The sculpting sucks. Their details suck. And most of all, they do not know how to make them posseable.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    but the art is better in the show.
    No, it's not.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to say I'm a little confused by some of the criticism. I think expectations might just be a little out of whack. I'm not sure what metric you guys are using, but I actually think the show looks good. Certainly better than the other shows I've tried to watch recently like GI Joe Renegades, Transformers Prime and Iron Man Armored Adventures.

The animation is fairly fluid and I think the character designs are nice and streamlined, especially for a scifi show. I think overall the design is very nice (Keith's beach outfit being the one big exception!) and I there's a good amount of shading and variety of backgrounds. I was also surprised at how well the CGI and traditional animation blend.

I had previously watched the first 2 episodes, but I saw all 3 this morning. Even though the show is obviously aimed at little kids and probably isn't going to be considered an animated classic in the future, I like it. One thing that I really enjoy about it is that, unlike MYP's MOTU & Young Justice, the characters are all likable & the voice acting doesn't sound like bland table reads. I was beginning to think that's what all cartoons were like these days, but this show feels like something I would have watched in my youth.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    No, it's not.
    Yeah. It is.

That's a long way from saying it's great, but so is it from being horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to say I'm a little confused by some of the criticism. I think expectations might just be a little out of whack. I'm not sure what metric you guys are using, but I actually think the show looks good. Certainly better than the other shows I've tried to watch recently like GI Joe Renegades, Transformers Prime and Iron Man Armored Adventures.

The animation is fairly fluid and I think the character designs are nice and streamlined, especially for a scifi show. I think overall the design is very nice (Keith's beach outfit being the one big exception!) and I there's a good amount of shading and variety of backgrounds. I was also surprised at how well the CGI and traditional animation blend.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/...e707d98d_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5261/...c1df7b1c_b.jpg
    I'm not seeing the good blend with the CG myself. It's not as jarring as the days of Fox Kids, but it's still an awkward fit. I'd say the character designs are almost too streamlined, but I think they look better animated than they do static in the promo art (Pidge's feet look real sloppy there for example).
    Last edited by gbagok; June 19, 2011 at 03:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'm not seeing the good blend with the CG myself. It's not as jarring as the days of Fox Kids, but it's still an awkward fit. I'd say the character designs are almost too streamlined, but I think they look better animated than they do static in the promo art (Pidge's feet look real sloppy there for example).
    Well, it's funny... I think they blend well with the painted backgrounds and therefore (for me) work well with the animated characters in that context. It's a thing we usually just accept because we are so trained by the past - we accept that the painted backgrounds of animated shows are a very different style then the hand drawn animation of the characters. It's always been like that. So by making the CG work with the backgrounds, in my mind I accept them in that context a lot more then I have in other shows.

I guess I'm also just happy the characters are hand-animated. After trying to watch Iron Man Adventures and being totally turned off by the CG humans I think it was a good choice. I don't think the blend is perfect as in you can't tell the difference, just that it works stylistically.

But since it comes down to a matter of style, I can see how it wouldn't work for some.

I think the Lions look great. I'm not much for the "people" animation, that kind of disappointed me. But, the human interest parts of Voltron or Go Lion were never the parts that you really watched for. The giant robot battles is why I watch these shows so I'll give this show another try just for the Lions. They deserve.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I had previously watched the first 2 episodes, but I saw all 3 this morning. Even though the show is obviously aimed at little kids and probably isn't going to be considered an animated classic in the future, I like it. One thing that I really enjoy about it is that, unlike MYP's MOTU & Young Justice, the characters are all likable & the voice acting doesn't sound like bland table reads. I was beginning to think that's what all cartoons were like these days, but this show feels like something I would have watched in my youth.
    Um, excep that MYP MOTU and Young Justice are, I don't know, well written. Well animated. Well everything. They had stories that were just as much for kids as they were for adults. VF is clearly aimed at kids.

Clip from this week's upcoming new episode, "Coran, Coran"
    Last edited by JonWes; June 21, 2011 at 04:33pm.

Eh, it's not great... but it's certainly not terrible either. I could see how an update of Filmation-style MOTU might translate to something like this in 2011. Simple, clean... cheap and easy to produce?

Voltron Force™ Premiere Breaks Record as Nicktoons’ Highest-Rated Debut Ever

On June 16 (Thursday, 8:30 p.m. ET) Nicktoons added the iconic franchise Voltron™ to its animated lineup with the new series, Voltron Force™. The series premiered with a 90-minute movie, “Voltron Force: New Defenders Trilogy,” which set a new record for the net as the highest-rated series premiere with all key kid, tween and boy demos. The debut also posted solid double and triple-digit increases over last year’s like time period with kids 6-11 (+53%) and boys 6-11 (+113%).

Wow, I didn't know Voltron was so popular with the little kid demographic. I can see the 30 somethings tuning in on nostalgia alone but to get this kind of viewership, the commercials must have been great.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Awesome news on the ratings! Hopefully it means this show will have a good run?

Can anybody help me out with some good hi-res images of both Lion Voltron (classic style, not the new version) and Vehicle Voltron? Preferably some kind of promo images for them (i.e. drawings), or even some good fan art would be good.

I'm trying to make some custom DVD packaging for the entire classic Voltron series. I'm consolidating all 8 volumes (the first 5 of which are Lion Voltron, and the last 3 of which are Vehicle Voltron) to two 12-disc DVD cases. I want to make custom covers for them, but I've only found a small handful of decent images. I've done all kinds of image searches on google and yahoo, and most of what I do find isn't hi-res enough (and I've search for their japanese counter part names, too, with similar results). Any help would be appreciated.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Dayum, well go ahead Classic Media and do He-Man and She-Ra then
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Dayum, well go ahead Classic Media and do He-Man and She-Ra then
    I know, right?

Thoughts on S1E4 - "Coran Coran" -

Spoilers...

A much more action-oriented episode this time. It was definitely enjoyable but it went by so quickly!

Favorite bits:

The mini Wade-Lions. It was cool to see a robot design all dingy and rusted on the show.

Vince's powers - he's apparently some sort of technomage and that's a nice contrast to Daniel and Larmina's weapons-based powers.

The secret of the castle - I'm intrigued to see where all that leads...

Keith being such a butt head. It makes him more interesting.

Not-So-Sure-About Bits:

How did Vince stop an explosion that was supposed to take down a whole castle... with a few bricks from said castle? Did his powers imbue them with more strength then they normally would have?

The humor wasn't quite as "on the mark" for me this go around. It was still there, it just didn't land quite as strongly as last time.

Favorite Line:
    Coran - "That's... unsettling"

Next Time: Lotar loses his clothes and gets real bumpy!

I think the show is slowly getting better, its not fantastic by any means but its also not the abortion I think some people feared

I hate the theme song though, I don't think that will change upon repeat viewings
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I can’t get passed that animation and design aesthetic. Sorry. I just looks so dated and bland, like its ten years in the past.

I just watched the 1st 3 episodes again from iTunes and the show looked a lot better then when I saw it on TV. The mix of CGI and animation looked smoother.

And the end credit theme (a upbeat rock-esque) version of the Voltron theme should have totally been the intro theme instead of the heinous rap.

I just watched the 1st 3 episodes again from iTunes and the show looked a lot better then when I saw it on TV. The mix of CGI and animation looked smoother.

And the end credit theme (a upbeat rock-esque) version of the Voltron theme should have totally been the intro theme instead of the heinous rap.
    The episodes look really good in HD. I don't have Nicktoons in HD at home, so I was surprised at how vibrant and nice everything was. I agree about the ending song. In fact, someone has already made a Youtube video of the ending version of the old theme over the new credits... it is MUCH better.