Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A different reason to subscribe.

A different reason to subscribe.

An additional reason to subscribe:

This is something to consider for those of you out there that are on the fence or saying you won't subscribe.

There are many of us out here who have not had their favorite figures/characters made into the great MOTUC form. My favorite is Blade, followed closely by Rio Blast and Extendar. I'm simply asking that you consider subscribing to help your fellow fans' dream figure be made. Whether it's Blade, Flutterina, Quakke, or Gwildor.

I know Mattel and digital river benefit from subscriptions. But I really don't care about them. It's my fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers, I care about. I want everyone to get their favorite figure. And when we get there, this will be the greatest toy line that has ever been made. And you can say that you helped get us there.

So I'm asking you to subscribe for no other reason than to help your fellow fans get their favorite figure. Italicized - Shouldn't have been here....poorly worded. That was my fault. But you get 12-16 great figures and helping others get their dream figures. Sorry.

Thank you for at least thinking about it.
    Last edited by EagleOne; July 29, 2013 at 01:56pm. Reason: Tried to clarify so not to offend.

While I get the sentiment, it's a little much to ask don't you think? Spending a lot of money on a sub only to help out fellow fans that don't even know I exist? I'm really on the fence about the sub, but the community plays no part in my decision either way. Sorry man.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heroic Warrior
    I agree... That intention is noble, but in the end it takes my hard earned cash and that is more important to me than a toy community...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    A reason to subscribe:

This is something to consider for those of you out there that are on the fence or saying you won't subscribe.

There are many of us out here who have not had their favorite figures/characters made into the great MOTUC form. My favorite is Blade, followed closely by Rio Blast and Extendar. I'm simply asking that you consider subscribing to help your fellow fans' dream figure be made. Whether it's Blade, Flutterina, Quakke, or Gwildor.

I know Mattel and digital river benefit from subscriptions. But I really don't care about them. It's my fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers, I care about. I want everyone to get their favorite figure. And when we get there, this will be the greatest toy line that has ever been made. And you can say that you helped get us there.

So I'm asking you to subscribe for no other reason than to help your fellow fans get their favorite figure.

Nice try, Eagle, but people are too concerned about their own conditions to altruistically buy a subscription so that other fans can benefit.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    That's a nice sentiment-and I really hope your favorites get made-but I can't see this being an influence on many (if any) potential subscribers.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

A reason to subscribe:

So I'm asking you to subscribe for no other reason than to help your fellow fans get their favorite figure.

I already have two subs but after reading your post I will get another one.

I live in Argentina and shipping costs and import taxes make collecting MOTUC a luxury thing but I will put my hard earned money were my mouth is and get another sub. It will be a shame if after all this years of collecting we missed the vintage figures that are left to be made in the line. Thanks for caring about others.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

Again MOTU bring fans and friends together! Rio-Blast is one of my favourite figure also! I got my 2 subs, lets hope 2014 happens!!!
    Who is the real protector of Grayskull?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    By the logic of this thread, some fellow fan should just BUY me a sub, cause some of my favorites haven't been made yet either.

Just saying, if we're talking in the category of people buying things they don't want for the sake of someone else...

So yeah, help the line and me get to my faves by buying me a sub.

I have a budget, I also collect many other lines....Transformers, TMNT, now Star Wars Black....etc....

I have a Wife and Kid, bills....what have you....I make decent money, but I can't buy subs just to help the line out....I have to pay for the figures first, then try to sell them....I can't eat the cost of say 10 Karatti's and not get back what I paid....can't do it. I love this line, I am getting one sub, maybe two, if I can see how it works out....but Transformers are heavy right now with the MP and Generations back....so I don't know about more than one.

I don't want the line to go away, and I think Mattel could find a new arrangement if the subs don't work, there is a demand for these, even if they have to come every other month, and be a little higher in price....it's tupid if they don't try something. But there's only so much I can do.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    By the logic of this thread, some fellow fan should just BUY me a sub, cause some of my favorites haven't been made yet either.

Just saying, if we're talking in the category of people buying things they don't want for the sake of someone else...

So yeah, help the line and me get to my faves by buying me a sub.
    Maybe I would do that but in the thread about the reasons for not subscribing you said:

I refuse to support the "sub or die" sales model.

And even if I didn't have a problem throwing thousands of potential collectors under the bus, at this point the character selection is just terribly lackluster.

MotU is first and foremost an action figure brand, and all of these Filmation and PoP characters just make for kinda "blah" action figures.

So I wouldn't sub anyway with the current level of boring figure saturation.

I can understand if someone not suscribe due to financial reasons but trying to save money while others buy more than one sub for the sake of carrying on the line doesn't seems fair in my opinión.
    Last edited by Asher99; July 28, 2013 at 11:49am.
    Offering $2,500 for MOC or AFA graded Teela, Zodac and Stratos 8 backs with "He-Man and the Power Sword" mini comic

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    Thanks for caring about others.
    Not to take away the sentiment from the first post (or your selfless reaction to it), but you might want to go back and re-read it. He was asking people to sub not just so others could get their favorite, but so that he could also get his favorites. It's a lot easier to rally the troops to make sure everyone's favorites get made when your own favorites have not been made yet.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Maybe I would do that but in the thread about the reasons for not subscribing you said:

I refuse to support the "sub or die" sales model.

And even if I didn't have a problem throwing thousands of potential collectors under the bus, at this point the character selection is just terribly lackluster.

MotU is first and foremost an action figure brand, and all of these Filmation and PoP characters just make for kinda "blah" action figures.

So I wouldn't sub anyway with the current level of boring figure saturation.

I can understand if someone not suscribe due to financial reasons but trying to save money while others buy more than one sub for the sake of carrying on the line doesn't seems fair in my opinión.
    And I stand by those comments 100%.

And thanks, I guess? But I really don't want a sub, I was just making a point about the faulty premise of this thread.

And speaking of faulty premises, for the "sub or die" model to be a success, it should only require 1 sub per customer. Imagine the same thing in any other real world business scenario and it would be viewed as a ridiculous request .

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Not to take away the sentiment from the first post (or your selfless reaction to it), but you might want to go back and re-read it. He was asking people to sub not just so others could get their favorite, but so that he could also get his favorites. It's a lot easier to rally the troops to make sure everyone's favorites get made when your own favorites have not been made yet.
    You are correct. I have not had my favorites made. I was just trying to shine a light on those of us that haven't by writing from what I know. That's all and nothing more. I am buying an extra sub this year (putting my money where my mouth is) to try and get this line to continue and get my favorites made. If I can't sell them I will be donating them.

I know I won't sway opinions of someone like Lay Ze-Man. He has a principle and he's standing by it. And I know these are toys and not actually important. I was just trying to get people to think differently if they have the funds and interest.

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry. I'm FREE to choose, and I choose NOT to get the sub, as usual. First, I totally refuse to support the "sub or die" sales model. Plus, I KNOW for certain that I would regret buying a sub, and that it would cause me headaches. So NO, I'm sincerely sorry, but I won't change my mind !

If the sub was not being pushed with such coercive marketing techniques, if DR's services were actually good (INCLUDING shipping prices) and IF we were guaranteed to get the figures that are in the sub (which subscribers NEVER got - remember Fisto's debacle), THEN I might think about it. But not in the current conditions, sorry.

Still, I'd like for everyone to get his favorite figures (me included)...
    Last edited by Prahvus; July 28, 2013 at 02:23pm.

I can understand the reasoning of asking people to support the line to support your fellow fans. But, I just couldn't ask people to do that when it's a $500 commitment over a year. I would be very thankful for anyone who'd be willing to do that, but would never ask anyone to. I am not, for example, going to purchase the DC sub or pre-order the Ecto-1 just to help out those fans. There is a slight difference because I'm not really a fan of those other properties, but it's still a similar situation.

That being said, if any fans will sub up to help us fans who very badly want this year to go through, I am very thankful to you!

A reason to subscribe:

Wow. Ummm... No. I might have to stay off this site until the sub window closes as these posts are getting ridiculous. Everyone on this site knows about the sub and can make their own choice. I don't understand everyone feeling the need to voice their opinion and make requests to people not subbing. If you want more subscriptions sold then put up more money and take out a second mortgage. If the figures were popular enough, people wouldn't need to be begging others.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Oh, come on guys, stop being so cynical. He just wants his favourite figures made in the line, as everyone here does (if they haven't got all their favourites in the line thus far, anyway). That's no reason to be mean or brush someone off. If you don't want to subscribe or can't (there are many valid reasons not to sub), it's fine...just...I don't know...try to be nice to people worried about the line?

One thing that does suck is the people who have subbed since day 1 may have bought all these figures they don't necessarily want, which helps others get figures like Ram-Man, Fisto, Horde Troopers, etc. and they still don't have their favourites in the line...but the people who were subbing JUST to get to Ram-Man (for example), have left the line and aren't helping those fans get what they've been waiting for. I mean, it's inevitable and the nature of the beast, but it's unfortunate.

I want ALL the PoP figures in the line and will be heartbroken if that doesn't come to pass (and I've bought every figure). I'm not complaining though. I love this line and am happy to have almost all the figures released, but my favourites still aren't here yet. 2014 looks like it's going to be the most exciting year thus far for me personally. Can't wait for Modulok! I think I have 11 of his vintage figure. It's fun combining him into a massive monstrosity (like John Carpenter's "The Thing" ). I think I might get two of the MOTUC version...can't afford 11 at nowadays prices.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

In retrospect my post might have come off a bit harsh but really, it wasn't meant to be like that in any way. I appologise if I hurt anyones feelings.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

There's no doubt I wanna subscribe, it's just with a new house coming in Nov and finances being kinda tight before and after that, my wife would kill me if I did it. If I had her blessing, it would be a done deal.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Heroic Warrior
    It is fair. Because everyone choose for himself what he want to do with his money. If you want to buy a sub, it's your decision and you can do with your bucks whatever you want. Same for me and everyone else. I wouldn't support figures, I don't want, even if they would cost 5$ each. There is no reason, why I should pay money for a toy, if I don't want it.
    Last edited by Berserker79; July 28, 2013 at 04:38pm.

If at the end of this year there were still many figures I was planning on picking up anyways I would. But at the end of this year, I would like to see Sweetbee, and I can't think of any other really. I know there are popular characters like Two-bad etc that people want but no a character or figure I really personally want amongst some of the others. so 500 bucks for maybe getting one figure Iwant a bunch I don't really want?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    The problem with the notion of urging others to a lot of subs is not only that it would burn a hole in a lot of people's pockets, especially those who want to quit the line, it is enabling Mattel to go with the model of doing subs and increasing prices every other year. It also encourages collectors to collect figures that would end up in their garage or put on ebay at a discount price.

Let's not forget that Mattel campaigned collectors to buy extra subs last year to save the line - I felt bad for the guy who ended up buying 5 or 6 subs just to save the line. I think the initial post rubbed some people the wrong way because they are being encourage to sub a line they wanted to get out of. It is like someone pulling "Think about the children!" card when someone makes a choice or an alcoholic saying "Before you quit, think about me and how I will no longer have a drinking buddy - I need a drinking buddy since I don't drink alone and I still have list of alcohol that I want to drink before I die." I apologize if that came out a bit harsh, but some collectors like myself are quitting because of money and shelf space. Sure, some of my and other collectors' favorites will not be made if I don't support the line- it is very unrealistic to think otherwise considering how every collectors' favorite varies from one another (one fan might have the cook as his favorite Filmation character whereas another one might want Hordak's nephew to be made), but I can live with that. I am sure more people would get another sub if they can sell the figures on ebay at cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh, come on guys, stop being so cynical. He just wants his favourite figures made in the line, as everyone here does (if they haven't got all their favourites in the line thus far, anyway). That's no reason to be mean or brush someone off. If you don't want to subscribe or can't (there are many valid reasons not to sub), it's fine...just...I don't know...try to be nice to people worried about the line?

One thing that does suck is the people who have subbed since day 1 may have bought all these figures they don't necessarily want, which helps others get figures like Ram-Man, Fisto, Horde Troopers, etc. and they still don't have their favourites in the line...but the people who were subbing JUST to get to Ram-Man (for example), have left the line and aren't helping those fans get what they've been waiting for. I mean, it's inevitable and the nature of the beast, but it's unfortunate.

I want ALL the PoP figures in the line and will be heartbroken if that doesn't come to pass (and I've bought every figure). I'm not complaining though. I love this line and am happy to have almost all the figures released, but my favourites still aren't here yet. 2014 looks like it's going to be the most exciting year thus far for me personally. Can't wait for Modulok! I think I have 11 of his vintage figure. It's fun combining him into a massive monstrosity (like John Carpenter's "The Thing" ). I think I might get two of the MOTUC version...can't afford 11 at nowadays prices.

I think people are being cynical since the OP is urging people who are on the fence or are not subbing this time around to sub and help other collectors. The problem with this is that it would cost an individual $500 for a sub on figures he/she would otherwise not get just so that a few fans can finally get a figure of Songster, Illumina, or some other fan favorite character in plastic form.

I don't want to be mean, but these are toys after all. If the line doesn't get completed, which I would think completing the line would be very hard to achieve considering how many characters the MOTU universe is with a bunch of variants, then it doesn't get completed. Just that being heartbroken for not getting all the POP figures seems a bit overdramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't want the line to go away, and I think Mattel could find a new arrangement if the subs don't work anymore (I think we will make the goal though), there is a demand for these, even if they have to come every other month, and be a little higher in price....it's tupid if they don't try something. But there's only so much I can do.
    You know--you have hit this RIGHT on the head. Even if the sub model doesn't work, Mattel could try different ways to get figures out.
    Release them like you said every other month or even quarterly for higher prices (that way ppl can save up to afford the higher price figures).
    I truly believe that even if it took like a few more years to get all the heavy hitters out, people would still buy them. It seems Mattel has this foggy notion that if we don't wrap this up soon--no one will EVER buy a Motuc figure again. I mean, we the fans have stuck with this brand since we were children and now many of us have children the age we were when we fell in love with Motu. If Mattel will make them, we will come. Mattel, you just need to keep making them and adjust models to see that figures do come out. To just cancel a line and not look at other options is absurd.
    Last edited by He-Kal; July 28, 2013 at 06:43pm.

I am sorry but every fan who buys a figure has helped themselves and other fans get one step closer to their favourite figure getting made. A paying customer is a paying customer and the only fan that any fan should ask to bend over backwards is the one at Mattel who cannot figure out how to adapt to the market. If the current sub model doesn't work then perhaps a tiered system; if not pre-orders. Sure profit might be lower if you can't sell Nepthus or Spektors but we always hear it is about the fans so it should be possible.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    You know--you have hit this RIGHT on the head. Even if the sub model doesn't work, Mattel could try different ways to get figures out.
    Release them like you said every other month or even quarterly for higher prices (that way ppl can save up to afford the higher price figures).
    I truly believe that even if it took like a few more years to get all the heavy hitters out, people would still buy them. It seems Mattel has this foggy notion that if we don't wrap this up soon--no one will EVER buy a Motuc figure again. I mean, we the fans have stuck with this brand since we were chidren and now many of us have children the age we were when we still fell in love with Motu. If Mattel will make them, we will come. Mattel, you just need to keep making them and adjust models to see that figures do come out. To just cancel a line and not look at other options is absurd.
    So true! The Ghost Busters line ended, and despite that it ended, Mattel is planning to release the Ecto-1 set. Mattel will always find a way to reboot the line. Sure, the figures collectors have might become obsolete if Mattel decides to go with another buck or another art style with their next MOTU toyline, but the line would continue regardless.