Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Octavia Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Happy to hear the crotches have been dealt with.

Now, say it with me - BENDY! BENDY! BENDY! Want those bendy tentacles!
    I couldn't agree more.

With plastic tentacles Octavia will be a great figure. With bendy tentacles she would be an amazing figure.

It's a shame that Mattel has no confidence in their abilities anymore after what happened with Snout Spout's trunk, and are abandoning the technique that worked so well on King Hiss.

I completely agree on her tentacles being bendy too, just imagine the posable possibilities! Obviously they won't use the Snout Spout material again (hopefully they learned from that mistake at least), King Hiss' bendy material would work perfectly.

I also agree with everyone who said Huntara should be modeled after Grace Jones, I'll take her any way I can get her!

Heroic Warrior
    Huntara was definitely modeled after Grace Jones. Go back and look at her POP episode and you'll even notice she has Ms. Jones' sneer. And I read Huntara was originally supposed to be black. A variant Huntara is in order.

Octavia is cool. I wonder if there are/were any plans to produce Horde Seamen to go with the octopus lady coming. *snicker
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; September 29, 2012 at 07:42am.

Heroic Warrior
    If little ToyBiz can make that awesome Marvel Legends Doc Ock with bendy tentacles with no issue, then I'm sure Mattel can do the same. This isn't reinventing the wheel here, its pretty standard toy technology.

Exactly Boy Wonder!

Snout Spout's nose was made by a new material and I'm sure Scott said they would not be using that material on any figure again....So why does everyone talk like this has been an on-going issue that has affected multiple characters with bendy parts? If they made her tentacles out of the same material as King Hsss's snakes there is no reason to believe they will break like Snout Spout's nose...
    EXACTLY.

Folks, Mattel won't use the Snout Spout material again. It was off the table BEFORE Octavia was sculpted/designed. NOW is our time to encourage Mattel to make this figure what she was always meant to be.

Remember how we all wondered what Mattel would do about Weaver's complicated cape? How they would overcome the obvious issues regarding functionality and form? Well, they gave it a go and thought up something that WORKED.

Let's resist the urge to treat them like they can't get anything right and instead throw our support behind the figure we WANT to have...instead settling for a lesser one out of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Exactly Boy Wonder!

EXACTLY.

Folks, Mattel won't use the Snout Spout material again. It was off the table BEFORE Octavia was sculpted/designed. NOW is our time to encourage Mattel to make this figure what she was always meant to be.

Remember how we all wondered what Mattel would do about Weaver's complicated cape? How they would overcome the obvious issues regarding functionality and form? Well, they gave it a go and thought up something that WORKED.

Let's resist the urge to treat them like they can't get anything right and instead throw our support behind the figure we WANT to have...instead settling for a lesser one out of fear.

Thank You! Now, where is that darn "like" button!

why the tentacles aren't bendy.

Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that this big a change could be made this far along if it were feasible. TG may expand on this but what we already know is that King Hisss as a figure was literally too expensive for what he was sold for (meaning Mattel actually took a loss on that particular figure) so it's possible the material used to make that more durable type of bendy is just too expensive to be used again. Also, the material used in Snout Spout broke often enough for it to be a concern to Mattel and fans alike. I'm sure Design would rather wait to use that material again until it's more dependable. It's a hard choice to make: An Octavia figure that looks amazing but with less mobility in the tentacles or one that might offer more mobility but could potentially wind up with four broken tentacles. It may not please everyone but at the end of the day they erred on the side of caution to ensure we get a great looking Octavia figure that stays great looking for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    why the tentacles aren't bendy.
    But is the bendy material the reason why KingHiss turned out to be too expensive to create?
    I remember TG explaining how expensive it was to create KH, but it was never because of the bendy, was it? I recall that it was because he had 2 upper torsos, and he was mosly new tooling at the time. Saying that it's because of the bendy material, just baffles me.

You can argue that's it's the cost of the materials, but female figs, being smaller, uses less plastic then that of the average male figs. I think they would still have leeway to add the bendy tentacles. And it's not as if these tentacles uses as much material as King Hiss' Snake torso.

Also, what they did then was off-set the cost of the more expensive figures with the ones that have very minimal expenses, can't they do the same thing with Octavia?

Plus the fact that they increased the price of these figures so that they would not scrimp on the accessories.

I still love his figure, and am not too keen on action features, but if you look at the math, things just don't add up.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    In that case, maybe they should have increased the price point of Octavia (like how Ram-Man is more expensive), included her freeze sticks and Imp. That way they could afford the King Hiss bendy material and we get a little more bang for our buck. It's too bad it's too late to do something like this.

She still looks great and I love her, but NOT having bendy tentacles is such a dagger through my heart. I can't use my Octopus Woman's tentacles to capture people...and that was her whole gimmick!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Honestly, I don't see the controversy here. Sure, bendy tentacles could probably be made to not break. But do people REALLy want to take that chance? I'm very happy we are getting the solid tentacles. We only get one shot at these guys, clearly. Especially the characters that are not as popular as the main ones. I'm all for Mattel playing it safe.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

They could have at least made the tentacles segmented and articulated (like the tails of some figures) if they wanted them made out of hard plastic!
    But hey, probably it was a cost issue more than anything else...
    Last edited by Darkkosis; October 5, 2012 at 01:46am.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    They could have at least made the tentacles segmented and articulated (like the tales of some figures) if they wanted them made out of hard plastic!
    But hey, probably it was a cost issue more than anything else...
    I think the worry there though would that it'd ruin the look. They'd look more like robot tentacles or something. I think it would have been nice to have Octavia be more of a deluxe figure with extra arms in twisty poses to wrap around figures and things and then you could just swap them all out. But, I'm happy with what we are getting.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I think the worry there though would that it'd ruin the look. They'd look more like robot tentacles or something. I think it would have been nice to have Octavia be more of a deluxe figure with extra arms in twisty poses to wrap around figures and things and then you could just swap them all out. But, I'm happy with what we are getting.
    I'm happy they're not risking bendy stuff that could break right away. I like her a lot....the only thing I don't get is why she needs all those daggers....seems like they coulda tossed one Netossa's way!

Honestly, I don't see the controversy here. Sure, bendy tentacles could probably be made to not break. But do people REALLy want to take that chance? I'm very happy we are getting the solid tentacles. We only get one shot at these guys, clearly. Especially the characters that are not as popular as the main ones. I'm all for Mattel playing it safe.
    Yeah, I agree with you about the "playing it safe" part. I think she's still an awesome figure, even without the bendy (strangely, the Octopus woman has a more beautiful face-sculpt than the east european Snow Princess).
    Funny thing is, breakage wouldn't have been to much of a risk, if Mattel would stop cutting corners with the materials. My Hiss is still okay, and I still have a 1987 Arco Bendy Mad Scientist that still working!
    But knowing Mattel's track record with "quality", I also would prefer to choose to be in the side of caution (so non bendy for Octavia is okay with me).

What irks me is that they still attribute a lot of the "design choices" with cost, when its clearly just mostly ill informed judgement.
    Last edited by Smashtoys; October 5, 2012 at 01:28am. Reason: grammar and spelling :)
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

I'm not saying each segment needs to have a ball joint (which they could if they wanted it to be covered with an elastic plastic like Barbie's arms), but more like a twisty articulated movement similar to Cringer's tail!
    I also think this figure could have been better if it was a deluxe version, but hey, I'm happy enough with what we're getting, as long as they don't screw it up like the past few figures!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I am more in favor of the hard plastic ones. I do want the tentacles to be more in her skin color. I searched for some reference pictures from the Filmation toon and they change color on different pics.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    hard plastic for me - I don't want anymore QC problems with this line!!!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    I'm not saying each segment needs to have a ball joint (which they could if they wanted it to be covered with an elastic plastic like Barbie's arms), but more like a twisty articulated movement similar to Cringer's tail!
    That would be a good compromise. If they can't be bendy they should at least be more articulated. Even though they are on ball joints, I think having completely straight & rigid tentacles is really going to limit her posing options. The Four Horsemen's Astro-Nautilus figure's tentacles are arguably more poseable, and he's only 4" tall!

Heroic Warrior
    Solid tentacles are fine by me. I'd rather get Octavia and have solid tentacles than either a) not get her at all or b) have bendy tentacles and have them break. As far as I'm concerned, this is a good call by TG and Mattel!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I'm happy they're not risking bendy stuff that could break right away. I like her a lot....the only thing I don't get is why she needs all those daggers....seems like they coulda tossed one Netossa's way!
    She has all those daggers because that is how many daggers she has in the Filmation cartoon when she was battling Sea Hawk in "Treasures of the First Ones." It is part of her gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    She has all those daggers because that is how many daggers she has in the Filmation cartoon when she was battling Sea Hawk in "Treasures of the First Ones." It is part of her gimmick.
    Quite true!

She had a veritable arsenal:

- 4 short swords
    - 2 blow darts
    - 1 large ninja star
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Honestly, I don't see the controversy here. Sure, bendy tentacles could probably be made to not break. But do people REALLy want to take that chance?
    YES.

...would you want a He-Man figure that couldn't hold his sword aloft? How about a Snake Face without the ability to have snakes come out of his head? How about a Shadow Weaver whose arms couldn't move for spell-casting?

Octavia's thing is that she uses her tentacles to attack and hold people. What I see in the promo pic is an Octavia figure with long, rigid, bar-like tentacles that droop out from her back without any hint of character or purpose. They didn't even sculpt them to have curves or something!

So she doesn't look like herself. In no shot from the show (or even in her model sheets) do the tentacles hang there like rods.

Is that quote you posted from TG himself, SCB? If so...I'm sighing. And I'm so, so very tired of sighing about every single She-Ra figure in this line...

I get that there are budgets and all that. But this is just not the right way to make her. Her tentacles should and can be bendy.

They should be bendy because the rigid ones are do thin they may end up snapping.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Quite true!

She had a veritable arsenal:

- 4 short swords
    - 2 blow darts
    - 1 large ninja star
    Thanks for the clarification! I haven't seen that episode honestly. All the pics of her I'd seen from Filmation just has her using them to wrap people up and pick them off the ground. Makes a little more sense now.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Solid tentacles are fine by me. I'd rather get Octavia and have solid tentacles than either a) not get her at all or b) have bendy tentacles and have them break. As far as I'm concerned, this is a good call by TG and Mattel!
    Agreed DVD. Agreed.