Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Octavia Discussion Thread

Sorry, not to be annoying, but "than not get her at all" isn't much of an argument. There's no reason why they wouldn't make Octavia because of the tentacle issue. Clearly, they are making her, and taking the easy route of doing stiff tentacles.

If they'd never revealed Octavia and had no plans to make her because "we wouldn't want to make her unless the figure had bendy tentacles, because that's the way she should be", that would be another story.

I guess this means no bendy tail for Scorpia either.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Sorry, not to be annoying, but "than not get her at all" isn't much of an argument. There's no reason why they wouldn't make Octavia because of the tentacle issue. Clearly, they are making her, and taking the easy route of doing stiff tentacles.
    Quoted for truth
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Thanks for the clarification! I haven't seen that episode honestly. All the pics of her I'd seen from Filmation just has her using them to wrap people up and pick them off the ground. Makes a little more sense now.

It's a great episode with Sea Hawk. "The Treasure of the First Ones."
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Whiplash needed a bendy tail, so I'd guess no.

Thing is Marvel Legends Scorpion has the greatest bendy tail ever and that figure is really old now.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    They should be bendy. Its been done so many times before (Toybiz Doc Ock, Sentinel BAF, Bowen Doc Ock to name a few), doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal for the biggest toy company in the world to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Thanks for the clarification! I haven't seen that episode honestly. All the pics of her I'd seen from Filmation just has her using them to wrap people up and pick them off the ground. Makes a little more sense now.
    Start at 1:11 for a look at all of Octavia's weapons.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    They should be bendy. Its been done so many times before (Toybiz Doc Ock, Sentinel BAF, Bowen Doc Ock to name a few), doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal for the biggest toy company in the world to pull off.
    Toybiz isn't Mattel. Those guys were pioneers!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLCqroBuZw
    Thanks for sharing that Tallstar - that scene is precisely the reason I love Octavia. Awesome, awesome fight between her and Sea Hawk and then between She-Ra as well.

...and might I add that Swift Wind's 'clothes line' on the Horde Troopers is brutally brilliant!

I was a sceptic of bendy snakes on Hiss but the two we got work well without evidence so far of the cracking or paint lifting I was fearful of.

I would now support bendy tentacles for Octavia - so long as the suction cups at the end can still hold the swords.

While I don't like the bland design of the King Hiss snake torso, and believe the 4H could have done much better, the lacklustre design has nothing to do with the bendy arms and I do think Mattel can be trusted to do bendy Octavia tentacles - if they wanted to.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Thanks bcr and Tallstar.....got a new appreciation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLCqroBuZw

I do think Mattel can be trusted to do bendy Octavia tentacles - if they wanted to.
    THIS. This exactly.

I really don't care for this "take what you're getting" attitude that is continuously maintained with this line and is now, apparently, becoming the accepted norm. I'm especially sensitive to it regarding She-Ra figures because we get so few of them, and I still don't see why she isn't treated like a brand just as deserving as He-Man/MOTU.

But that's another story. The bottom line is this - bendy tentacles are not rocket science, nor are they super expensive!

Mattel can do it. Let's remind them just how much we WANT them to do it! Then maybe they'll want to do it too.

The point isn't whether it should be technically possible for Mattel to give Octavia tentacles. Of course it should be.
    As someone up-thread mentioned, Doc Ock had some really wonderful tentacles and that was years ago.

The point is that we don't have a great track record with MOTUC for some of these new materials. There have also been a few other mess-ups in the last few years with materials that should be tried and true. My thing is, I'd rather have Octavia with solid, unbendable tentacles than shattered or decaying or rotting or flaking tentacles. I'm not one of those people who's all "OMG Mattel Ruins everything" but at the same time even I'm a bit leery of their track record of late. That's all I'm saying. I understand it's not so easy an issue for some of you.

I do wonder about doing cut joints as someone suggested on the last page. That could work out and would allow for some more movement. I guess it might be a little bit more expensive, but it could be worth it as long as they kept the joints tight.

For me, I'm not going to let her lack of bendy tentacles impact my enjoyment of her for one second. she's a beautifully sculpted figure that'll be an impressive presence on the shelf. I can't wait for her.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Agree 1,000%. It's possible to do bendy appendages but Mattel is just being lazy here. It's really pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Yep. And much like Whiplash, it will ruin the figure. The lack of a bendy tail on Whiplash ruined the figure IMO. The tail was his whole gimmick. It would be like making Mek-A-Neck without his neck piece, King Hiss without his snake-form, a Stinkor that doesn't...well stink , Trap-Jaw without his arm attachments...you get the point.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Whiplash needed a bendy tail, so I'd guess no.

Thing is Marvel Legends Scorpion has the greatest bendy tail ever and that figure is really old now.
    I take it you mean the Spider-Man Classics Scorpion since there was no ML Scorpion ever produced. That figure does have a great bendy tail but the one thing it has going for it is the fact it's really thick unlike Octavia's tentacles. The ML Doc Ock has thin bendy arms that not only look good but still hold up over all of this time. Those are great.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    That's what is upsetting here. The technology to do bendy appendages has been around for years and it's clear that Mattel CAN AND DOES know how to do them, we saw it with King Hiss, but they are choosing not to.

The point isn't whether it should be technically possible for Mattel to give Octavia tentacles. Of course it should be.
    As someone up-thread mentioned, Doc Ock had some really wonderful tentacles and that was years ago...but at the same time even I'm a bit leery of their track record of late. That's all I'm saying. I understand it's not so easy an issue for some of you.
    Hi Jon - oh I totally get people being leery. My issue is that we're enabling Mattel's leeriness regarding something none of us should be leery about. Mattel is one of the biggest toy companies in the world. Now, I don't know what materials cost and what's available now...but cheap, copy-cat companies have been making toys that sell for a DOLLAR that have bendy parts that work nothing like Snout Spout's trunk for decades now.

Mattel has lost so many brownie points with me for acting like they can't do even the simplest of things. And I'm not trying to bash them...really, I'm not...but now they're acting like:

"Oh No! We're afraid we're so incompetent we're going to mess up again! Everything is too hard! And too expensive! Stop expecting so much from us! Lower your expectations while we raise the price!"

And I'm not buying it So to all the people who want and would prefer to see Octavia have bendy tentacles, please put that thought out there first and foremost. Saying you're scared too just enables the disappointment.

I do wonder about doing cut joints as someone suggested on the last page. That could work out and would allow for some more movement. I guess it might be a little bit more expensive, but it could be worth it as long as they kept the joints tight.
    If you mean joints along the tentacles, I'm going to have to say "no". That would ruin the look and make them resemble robotic attachments, which they're clearly not.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    No dude, simple cut joints would be nearly unseeable! I would dig it!

I just thought up a better metaphor for Mattel: they're like the fully-grown teenager who says they don't know how to wash their dishes, so everyone else stops expecting them to do it.

Heroic Warrior
    I do think Mattel can be trusted to do bendy Octavia tentacles
    No, they can't ! We had enough issues with Snout Spout's decaying trunk, and I'm always scared to move the fragile snakes on Hssss's torso. Octavia's tentacles MUST NOT be bendy ! Should they ever be bendy, even though I really like Octavia as a character, I won't buy her.

Would you buy her if you knew they weren't using the same material that was used on Snout Spout's trunk?

If that's the main issue - and it seems to be - I seriously, seriously doubt Mattel will ever use that material again. That would just be professional suicide, frankly.

I do not care if the tentacles are bendy or not, and fussing about it is kind of ridiculous.

I'm happy to see that an obscure Horde female villain is being produced, and I'm going to buy her. Maybe Scorpia will come next.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; October 8, 2012 at 02:56am.

Heroic Warrior
    If you want to speak up about it, go to the Four Horsemen Studio forums and ask there. They won't hear you here. I am serious.

Heroic Warrior
    Folks seem to forget. I keep reading "Mattel Mattel Mattel" when this is a Four Horsemen design choice. Let them know what you want to see. Ranting here does NOTHING. Go to their forums, register, and speak your mind. Any help would be great but if you want to be heard by someone it won't be here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

It's actually Ruben's department since he handles design into the final action figure. Horsemen just sculpt.

My main problem with the lack of bendy tentacles is that she's going to take up an awful lot of room on the shelf. It would be cool if they could maybe articulate the tentacles instead--maybe a ball joint, or a hinge joint, in the middle of each one. Would probably cost too much though.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    It's actually Ruben's department since he handles design into the final action figure. Horsemen just sculpt.
    While I agree, they made it clear that the Four Horsemen are taking this path and it is to be followed. They gave their statement already on this. They are making them ball jointed at the point of attachment, so that's one thing Ruben shouldn't be altering without retooling the tentacles as permanently attached and bendy.

I would love for Mattel to make them bendy like they made DCUC Iron's wrench movable, but that may be asking for too much, sadly.